X-Pro 1 focus tip for moving objects

Started Apr 21, 2012 | Discussions
cafemonaco
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
X-Pro 1 focus tip for moving objects
Apr 21, 2012

Although I've mentioned it in a few replies to posts, I thought it might be helpful just to reiterate a simple technique that allows X-pro 1 users to get a very high percentage of pictures in focus for objects that are approaching you (eg kids, cyclists, cars etc).

A fuller explanation is at http://picabroad.com/ but, very briefly, when the object is on the AF patch just depress the shutter all the way down in in one movement - do not half press and wait for focus as you would on a DSLR.
Works beautifully.

ha_c
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
Re: X-Pro 1 focus tip for moving objects
In reply to cafemonaco, Apr 21, 2012

YES, that's the way to get good information out to everyone - in its own thread with a telling 'subject'. i missed your earlier notes with a possible solution to the problem with focusing on moving targets. thank you very much.
/ hac
PS
http://picabroad.com/2012/04/10/fuji-x-pro-1-autofocus-trick/

on moving targets you set the X-Pro on AF-S (NOT AF-C) and press the shutter down all the way in one movement and wait for the shutter to fire.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,684Gear list
Like?

I've tried this and it does work - at least it does so within the limits of the overall system.

fluxism
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?

I'm grateful for this tip, but I guess it means focal point has to be in center of frame?

Dkaplan74
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?
In reply to fluxism, Apr 21, 2012

Does this work for X100 as well?

redzob
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?

Just returned from a rugby match and have to say that this technique appeared to work quite well. Early days yet, but managed to track a fair few action shots using the 60mm at f2.4 with a 3 stop ND filter on the front. Also tended to use the OVF for timings. Wish I'd been able to get to the touchline much earlier, but the poor quality shots are my fault, not the XP1 - I just need to practice....

redzob's gear list:redzob's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +7 more
kevin camera
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?

thanks for posting article.

went out to try it today on some fast moving bikes... was able to focus on the object!

cafemonaco wrote:

Although I've mentioned it in a few replies to posts, I thought it might be helpful just to reiterate a simple technique that allows X-pro 1 users to get a very high percentage of pictures in focus for objects that are approaching you (eg kids, cyclists, cars etc).

A fuller explanation is at http://picabroad.com/ but, very briefly, when the object is on the AF patch just depress the shutter all the way down in in one movement - do not half press and wait for focus as you would on a DSLR.
Works beautifully.

mhohman
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
In reply to kevin camera, Apr 22, 2012

I nailed this focus using this technique. The guy on the motorcycle was driving away from me... Glad it worked. Of course, you can move the focus point to anywhere on the frame to get the composition you want.

I just wish this technique worked with the Area AF Mode but that never seems to find the subject, no matter what. Arg.

Jeff Charles
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,833Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dkaplan74, Apr 22, 2012

Dkaplan74 wrote:

Does this work for X100 as well?

Yes
--
Jeff

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Davidgilmour
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137Gear list
Like?
In reply to cafemonaco, Apr 22, 2012

Could you please tell it more exacty?

You mean if I see an interesting person walking on the street, I just point my Fuji to that person, compose and press the shutter button all the way down, without focusing?

I.e., just like it's a point and shoot camera?

Davidgilmour's gear list:Davidgilmour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,820Gear list
Like?
In reply to cafemonaco, Apr 22, 2012

Works very well with my X100

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
kevin camera
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
In reply to Davidgilmour, Apr 22, 2012

well, when you press the shutter all the way down, you're already issuing the focus command.

so it's not taking a shot "without focusing" but it's more like "capturing the picture immediately after focus"

Davidgilmour wrote:

You mean if I see an interesting person walking on the street, I just point my Fuji to that person, compose and press the shutter button all the way down, without focusing?

I.e., just like it's a point and shoot camera?

Davidgilmour
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137Gear list
Like?
In reply to kevin camera, Apr 22, 2012

kevin camera wrote:

well, when you press the shutter all the way down, you're already issuing the focus command.

so it's not taking a shot "without focusing" but it's more like "capturing the picture immediately after focus"

Lol, so it IS a point and shoot after all

Davidgilmour's gear list:Davidgilmour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
gambofoto
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
In reply to mhohman, Apr 22, 2012

Great shot, mhohman.

Zarniwoop1985
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
In reply to mhohman, Apr 22, 2012

Great shot! Those pigs don't look very happy though.

Zarniwoop1985's gear list:Zarniwoop1985's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Canon PowerShot G10 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 +18 more
intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,582Gear list
Like?
In reply to Davidgilmour, Apr 23, 2012

Davidgilmour wrote:

kevin camera wrote:

Lol, so it IS a point and shoot after all

actually, known as a compact....just above the P&S

Francis Harrison
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
In reply to cafemonaco, Apr 23, 2012

First of all, sincere thanks for the tip, much appreciated. One question though: isn't there an added risk of camera movement if you "mash down" on the button as you inevitably have to do? That would be the only downside...

James Ito
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?
In reply to kevin camera, Apr 24, 2012

Yep, it's identical to my Canon SLR's option to give priority to focussing i.e. when the shutter release is pressed, "obtain focus and then release the shutter". Personally, I've never found a use for the other option which is "try to focus but release the shutter regardless".

kevin camera wrote:

-- hide signature --

James Ito

James Ito's gear list:James Ito's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +22 more
Adrian MH
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
In reply to James Ito, Apr 25, 2012

This is great news! I am contemplating buying the Fuji 35mm lens - so far only have body + my CV Nokton 35mm/1.4

Would this technique be helped or hindered by using a soft-release button?

morganb
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
In reply to Francis Harrison, Apr 26, 2012

I don't own this camera but I have had fujis.in the past. Is there an option to disable the half shutter focus and force it to only react to full press?

morganb's gear list:morganb's gear list
Nikon D600 Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads