24 mm II Images and Canon EOS and FF Sensor

Started Apr 21, 2012 | Discussions
Ershotz -
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
24 mm II Images and Canon EOS and FF Sensor
Apr 21, 2012

Anyone that could share some images taken with the 24 mm shift lens version II I am interested in what your opinion is on the sharpness of the lens, at the center, the edges, and corners, any softness or distortion just some real world images.

-- hide signature --

ershotz

 Ershotz -'s gear list:Ershotz -'s gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
marked50
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
Re: 24 mm II Images and Canon EOS and FF Sensor
In reply to Ershotz -, Apr 21, 2012

nice photo, looks like you are in salt lake

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
StillEssence
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
Re: 24 mm II Images and Canon EOS and FF Sensor
In reply to marked50, Apr 21, 2012

First image is awesome
Second could use some more dynamic range...
I think the 5d3 turned into a night owl....
DC or Salt Lake?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ershotz -
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
Re: 24 mm II Images and Canon EOS and FF Sensor
In reply to marked50, Apr 21, 2012

Yes I'm in salt lake city

marked50 wrote:

nice photo, looks like you are in salt lake

-- hide signature --

ershotz

 Ershotz -'s gear list:Ershotz -'s gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marcus Antonius
Contributing MemberPosts: 999
Like?
Re: 24 mm II Images and Canon EOS and FF Sensor
In reply to Ershotz -, Apr 21, 2012

Hi Ershotz,

Normally i would leave this forum alone in these times of termoil, but if i can be of some help to someone with a serious question, why not...
Here you go:

Comparisons:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/787618

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-TS-E-24mm-f-3.5-L-II-Tilt-Shift-Lens-Review.aspx
http://jos-echelpoels.smugmug.com/gallery/8708967_kiU8G
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/lenses/ts-e_24_f35_l_ii.html

Real world hi-res samples:

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=742&perpage=12&focal_min=none&focal_max=none&aperture_min=none&aperture_max=none&res=1

This lens is canon's sharpest wide angle lens ever built. There's no discussion about that. It's even sharper than the zeiss 21 and nikon 14-24. The 24 1.4 II comes really close from F8 (and is marginally better in the dead center stopped down) but the geometric distortion correction in PP makes you lose alot of detail. So if you do alot of architecture and/or are a freak about straight lines and corner sharpness, there's nothing that beats the 24 TS-E.

Keep in mind you do not have AF, so if you can live with that, this is your lens.

Just don't tell anyone

Marcus

Ershotz - wrote:

Anyone that could share some images taken with the 24 mm shift lens version II I am interested in what your opinion is on the sharpness of the lens, at the center, the edges, and corners, any softness or distortion just some real world images.

-- hide signature --

ershotz

-- hide signature --

Making a moment last forever

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jan pawlak
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?
Re: 24 mm II Images and Canon EOS and FF Sensor
In reply to Marcus Antonius, Apr 21, 2012
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Waldo Nell
Contributing MemberPosts: 937
Like?
Re: 24 mm II Images and Canon EOS and FF Sensor
In reply to Ershotz -, Apr 21, 2012

The 24mm TS-E II lens is one of the sparpest and best optics I own. Brilliant. I have photos taken with a 1Ds3 but my system is backing up now so I cannot upload it yet.

-- hide signature --

Waldo Nell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ershotz -
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
Re: 24 mm II Images and Canon EOS and FF Sensor
In reply to Marcus Antonius, Apr 22, 2012

Thanks for the great information and links to other sites with samples and great information!

Is there any one else that would like to share some of there images shot with this lens? any images would be appreciated.

Marcus Antonius wrote:
Hi Ershotz,

Normally i would leave this forum alone in these times of termoil, but if i can be of some help to someone with a serious question, why not...
Here you go:

Comparisons:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/787618

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-TS-E-24mm-f-3.5-L-II-Tilt-Shift-Lens-Review.aspx
http://jos-echelpoels.smugmug.com/gallery/8708967_kiU8G
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/lenses/ts-e_24_f35_l_ii.html

Real world hi-res samples:

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=742&perpage=12&focal_min=none&focal_max=none&aperture_min=none&aperture_max=none&res=1

This lens is canon's sharpest wide angle lens ever built. There's no discussion about that. It's even sharper than the zeiss 21 and nikon 14-24. The 24 1.4 II comes really close from F8 (and is marginally better in the dead center stopped down) but the geometric distortion correction in PP makes you lose alot of detail. So if you do alot of architecture and/or are a freak about straight lines and corner sharpness, there's nothing that beats the 24 TS-E.

Keep in mind you do not have AF, so if you can live with that, this is your lens.

Just don't tell anyone

Marcus

Ershotz - wrote:

Anyone that could share some images taken with the 24 mm shift lens version II I am interested in what your opinion is on the sharpness of the lens, at the center, the edges, and corners, any softness or distortion just some real world images.

-- hide signature --

ershotz

-- hide signature --

Making a moment last forever

-- hide signature --

ershotz

 Ershotz -'s gear list:Ershotz -'s gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ershotz -
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
Re: 24 mm II Images and Canon EOS and FF Sensor
In reply to Waldo Nell, Apr 22, 2012

I will check back, any images that you have would be great just looking to compare edges and corners of the frame

Thanks
--
ershotz

 Ershotz -'s gear list:Ershotz -'s gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Felipe Rodríguez
Senior MemberPosts: 2,940Gear list
Like?
Re: 24 mm II Images and Canon EOS and FF Sensor
In reply to Marcus Antonius, Apr 23, 2012

Agreed! The 24 TS-E II is an awesome lens.

Here you have a sample of mine:

And a gallery plenty of other samples (from other lenses too, click the "info" icon to check every photo technical details):

http://www.felipe-rodriguez.com/Architecture/Seville/Metropol/18696335_kb4TpG

Marcus Antonius wrote:
Hi Ershotz,

Normally i would leave this forum alone in these times of termoil, but if i can be of some help to someone with a serious question, why not...
Here you go:

Comparisons:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/787618

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-TS-E-24mm-f-3.5-L-II-Tilt-Shift-Lens-Review.aspx
http://jos-echelpoels.smugmug.com/gallery/8708967_kiU8G
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/lenses/ts-e_24_f35_l_ii.html

Real world hi-res samples:

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=742&perpage=12&focal_min=none&focal_max=none&aperture_min=none&aperture_max=none&res=1

This lens is canon's sharpest wide angle lens ever built. There's no discussion about that. It's even sharper than the zeiss 21 and nikon 14-24. The 24 1.4 II comes really close from F8 (and is marginally better in the dead center stopped down) but the geometric distortion correction in PP makes you lose alot of detail. So if you do alot of architecture and/or are a freak about straight lines and corner sharpness, there's nothing that beats the 24 TS-E.

Keep in mind you do not have AF, so if you can live with that, this is your lens.

Just don't tell anyone

Marcus

Ershotz - wrote:

Anyone that could share some images taken with the 24 mm shift lens version II I am interested in what your opinion is on the sharpness of the lens, at the center, the edges, and corners, any softness or distortion just some real world images.

-- hide signature --

ershotz

-- hide signature --

Making a moment last forever

-- hide signature --

http://www.felipe-rodriguez.com

Bokeh

Dadme un mundo sin contornos,
Un espacio feliz que ignore los perfiles.
Concededme, sí, la dicha redonda
De flotar sin conciencia en el fondo
Desenfocado de mis fotografías.

Give me a world with no edges,
A happy space knowing nothing about outlines.
Grant me, please, the round joy
Of thoughtlessly floating on the blurred
Background of my photographs.

 Felipe Rodríguez's gear list:Felipe Rodríguez's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ershotz -
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
Re: 24 mm II Images and Canon EOS and FF Sensor
In reply to Felipe Rodríguez, Apr 26, 2012

Felipe, those are great images thanks for sharing!!! Any other images from anyone with this lens?

Felipe Rodríguez wrote:
Agreed! The 24 TS-E II is an awesome lens.

Here you have a sample of mine:

And a gallery plenty of other samples (from other lenses too, click the "info" icon to check every photo technical details):

http://www.felipe-rodriguez.com/Architecture/Seville/Metropol/18696335_kb4TpG

Marcus Antonius wrote:
Hi Ershotz,

Normally i would leave this forum alone in these times of termoil, but if i can be of some help to someone with a serious question, why not...
Here you go:

Comparisons:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/787618

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-TS-E-24mm-f-3.5-L-II-Tilt-Shift-Lens-Review.aspx
http://jos-echelpoels.smugmug.com/gallery/8708967_kiU8G
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/lenses/ts-e_24_f35_l_ii.html

Real world hi-res samples:

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=742&perpage=12&focal_min=none&focal_max=none&aperture_min=none&aperture_max=none&res=1

This lens is canon's sharpest wide angle lens ever built. There's no discussion about that. It's even sharper than the zeiss 21 and nikon 14-24. The 24 1.4 II comes really close from F8 (and is marginally better in the dead center stopped down) but the geometric distortion correction in PP makes you lose alot of detail. So if you do alot of architecture and/or are a freak about straight lines and corner sharpness, there's nothing that beats the 24 TS-E.

Keep in mind you do not have AF, so if you can live with that, this is your lens.

Just don't tell anyone

Marcus

Ershotz - wrote:

Anyone that could share some images taken with the 24 mm shift lens version II I am interested in what your opinion is on the sharpness of the lens, at the center, the edges, and corners, any softness or distortion just some real world images.

-- hide signature --

ershotz

-- hide signature --

Making a moment last forever

-- hide signature --

http://www.felipe-rodriguez.com

Bokeh

Dadme un mundo sin contornos,
Un espacio feliz que ignore los perfiles.
Concededme, sí, la dicha redonda
De flotar sin conciencia en el fondo
Desenfocado de mis fotografías.

Give me a world with no edges,
A happy space knowing nothing about outlines.
Grant me, please, the round joy
Of thoughtlessly floating on the blurred
Background of my photographs.

-- hide signature --

ershotz

 Ershotz -'s gear list:Ershotz -'s gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ershotz -
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
Please share---- 24 mm II Images and Canon EOS and FF Sensor
In reply to Ershotz -, Apr 26, 2012

The Temple is just down the street from me and easy access!

-- hide signature --

ershotz

 Ershotz -'s gear list:Ershotz -'s gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marked50
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
Re: 24 mm II Images and Canon EOS and FF Sensor
In reply to Marcus Antonius, Apr 26, 2012

southern utah is beautiful but driving through salt lake not alot of fun

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KCampbell
Senior MemberPosts: 2,048Gear list
Like?
A couple I had handy
In reply to Ershotz -, Apr 26, 2012

Looking through my library it looks like I actually use the TS-E 17 a bit more than the 24; the joys of owning both

Kevin

 KCampbell's gear list:KCampbell's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,961Gear list
Like?
Re: A couple I had handy
In reply to KCampbell, Apr 26, 2012

I want this lens sooooo badly but just don't have $2K to spend on it Why does the good stuff always have to be so expensive?!

 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ershotz -
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
Re: A couple I had handy
In reply to gipper51, Apr 27, 2012

I had bought the original 24 tse but sold it to fund the newer one it seems to be amazing so far!!!

I was shooting with the TSE 90 on my 1DS Mark II and notice that the images were so sharp that it looked like it was cut with a razor! amazing I thought, the TSE 24 II is just as sharp! and now I would like to know what other lenses are this sharp? I think that I now own 2 of the sharpest lenses in cannons line up!

gipper51 wrote:

I want this lens sooooo badly but just don't have $2K to spend on it Why does the good stuff always have to be so expensive?!

-- hide signature --

ershotz

 Ershotz -'s gear list:Ershotz -'s gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads