Has your early E-M5 Amazon Pre-Order shipped?

Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions
MrKal_El
Regular MemberPosts: 116
Like?
Has your early E-M5 Amazon Pre-Order shipped?
Apr 20, 2012

I Pre-Ordered my Black 12-50mm Kit ~ 4AM on Feb 7th and haven't seen a budge in my shipping status (Still says "Not Yet Shipped").

The thing is, I have read quite a few people already getting both the Silver & Black kits that ordered on the same day...

Could you guys give me an idea of whats up?

Also, when I pre-ordered, the only option for Shipping was Standard (I am a Prime member) & I never changed it for fear of loosing my place. For those that received their Kit already...could you let me know if you changed Shipping?

Did your Pre-Order Ship? Black/Silver 12-50 Kit? Did you order early on Feb 7th or late in the day?

Thanks guys!

(PS Is it possible to post Poll's here?)

-- hide signature --

Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/MrKal_El

Panda9
Regular MemberPosts: 423
Like?
Re: Has your early E-M5 Amazon Pre-Order shipped?
In reply to MrKal_El, Apr 20, 2012

MrKal_El wrote:

I Pre-Ordered my Black 12-50mm Kit ~ 4AM on Feb 7th and haven't seen a budge in my shipping status (Still says "Not Yet Shipped").

The thing is, I have read quite a few people already getting both the Silver & Black kits that ordered on the same day...

Also, when I pre-ordered, the only option for Shipping was Standard (I am a Prime member) & I never changed it for fear of loosing my place. For those that received their Kit already...could you let me know if you changed Shipping?

Did your Pre-Order Ship? Black/Silver 12-50 Kit? Did you order early on Feb 7th or late in the day?

Thanks guys!

Without knowing what time zone you're in, "4am" doesn't mean a lot. They didn't actually announce it until Feb 8th in the UK or Japan. From what I can recall, it corresponded to 6pm Pacific / 9pm Eastern on February 7th. I can only assume then that you orderered at 4am ET on the 8th?

I ordered black 12-50 kit at 6:50pm on the 7th, Pacific time, or around 50 minutes after the formal announcement. I don't know if Amazon opened preorders before that, but I figure I'm pretty high on the queue. I have not gotten any change in status yet.

My shipping shows as "standard" for my kit, also. People who have received their items are getting them standard shipping. I'm getting the HLD-6 grip on Monday via 3-day select. I ordered the grip at the same time.

I think saying, "quite a few people" doesn't mean a lot. We know that a few people who post to DPR have gotten them, and a few people who bought at local stores were lucky enough to get them, but my take is that this is just a scattering of people.

IMO (purely speculation, no evidence to back it up), Olympus shipped a small number of units directly to dealers by air carrier, and that is what we're seeing. Even Olympus, BH, and Adorama just got a few each. This would allow Olympus to at least say they met their release date, and it would seed the population with some cameras.

However, direct air shipments to dozens of dealers would be expensive, so I'm speculating the rest of the shipments are coming via some kind of bulk air carrier, and are going to be distributed through more normal channels (drop shippers, wholesalers, etc.).

I have heard through a source directly in Olympus America that by the next week or so they expect to be able to fill all preorders. I'm inclined to believe him. I'm also inclined to believe all this hand-wringing is a bit premature. At least in the US, they said they'd get them to us in April, and it's still April.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MrKal_El
Like?
In reply to Panda9, Apr 20, 2012

Panda9 wrote:

MrKal_El wrote:

Thanks guys!

Without knowing what time zone you're in, "4am" doesn't mean a lot. They didn't actually announce it until Feb 8th in the UK or Japan. From what I can recall, it corresponded to 6pm Pacific / 9pm Eastern on February 7th. I can only assume then that you orderered at 4am ET on the 8th?

I ordered black 12-50 kit at 6:50pm on the 7th, Pacific time, or around 50 minutes after the formal announcement. I don't know if Amazon opened preorders before that, but I figure I'm pretty high on the queue. I have not gotten any change in status yet.

My shipping shows as "standard" for my kit, also. People who have received their items are getting them standard shipping. I'm getting the HLD-6 grip on Monday via 3-day select. I ordered the grip at the same time.

I think saying, "quite a few people" doesn't mean a lot. We know that a few people who post to DPR have gotten them, and a few people who bought at local stores were lucky enough to get them, but my take is that this is just a scattering of people.

IMO (purely speculation, no evidence to back it up), Olympus shipped a small number of units directly to dealers by air carrier, and that is what we're seeing. Even Olympus, BH, and Adorama just got a few each. This would allow Olympus to at least say they met their release date, and it would seed the population with some cameras.

However, direct air shipments to dozens of dealers would be expensive, so I'm speculating the rest of the shipments are coming via some kind of bulk air carrier, and are going to be distributed through more normal channels (drop shippers, wholesalers, etc.).

I have heard through a source directly in Olympus America that by the next week or so they expect to be able to fill all preorders. I'm inclined to believe him. I'm also inclined to believe all this hand-wringing is a bit premature. At least in the US, they said they'd get them to us in April, and it's still April.

Sorry about that... EST.

Sooo actually I went back and looked up my order confirmation email from Amazon...and according to the time stamp it was 11:50pm on the 7th. I must've been 1/2 asleep so I thought it was later in the night...

I really appreciate the info!

-- hide signature --

Panda9
Regular MemberPosts: 423
Like?
In reply to MrKal_El, Apr 21, 2012

MrKal_El wrote:

Sorry about that... EST.

Sooo actually I went back and looked up my order confirmation email from Amazon...and according to the time stamp it was 11:50pm on the 7th. I must've been 1/2 asleep so I thought it was later in the night...

If you get yours before me, then I'll be annoyed since I ordered it two hours before you. But otherwise I'm just patiently waiting my turn.

dv312
Senior MemberPosts: 1,842Gear list
Like?
yes, but only the new FT adapter

no ETA on the EM-5 but I'm not in a hurry, may even cancel it
Got a EP3 coming soon
cheers

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +7 more
MrKal_El
Like?
In reply to Panda9, Apr 21, 2012

Panda9 wrote:

MrKal_El wrote:

Sorry about that... EST.

If you get yours before me, then I'll be annoyed since I ordered it two hours before you. But otherwise I'm just patiently waiting my turn.

LOL... I normally wouldn't be so antsy, but I actually have a few days off from work...so of course I have too much free time on hand
--

Czmom1
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?

I posted on one of the other threads. I am also a prime member and ordered feb7th. I didn't realize that you had to go back in and change the shipping speed. Mine shipped on the 18th but I won't get it til the 24th.

I complained today and amazon is crediting me $20 because there was a glitch with the preorders not recognizing the prime shipping. That was more than I expected them to do (but I would have rather gotten the camera today then the $20).

MrKal_El wrote:

Thanks guys!

-- hide signature --

lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,370Gear list
Like?
In reply to Czmom1, Apr 21, 2012

Has anyone after the 7th recieved a shipping notice or better yet the camera? I didn't order until the 9th so I am sure it'll be a bulk shipment phase later in the month. I haven't seen an update on new Amazon activity lately and was curious.

Thanks good luck to everyone still waiting.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
MrKal_El
Like?
In reply to lambert4, Apr 21, 2012

lambert4 wrote:

Has anyone after the 7th recieved a shipping notice or better yet the camera? I didn't order until the 9th so I am sure it'll be a bulk shipment phase later in the month. I haven't seen an update on new Amazon activity lately and was curious.

Thanks good luck to everyone still waiting.

-- hide signature --

Nope... I haven't and according to my poll on mu-43.com...many more either:

http://www.mu-43.com/f42/has-your-early-e-m5-amazon-pre-order-shipped-24608/

-- hide signature --

Michael Dodge Thomas
Regular MemberPosts: 179
Like?
In reply to lambert4, Apr 21, 2012

I ordered a SB + 12-50+Grip early AM on the 8th. I received the grip yesterday, but no ship date yet on the camera itself.

jonkim16
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael Dodge Thomas, Apr 21, 2012

I ordered the Silver Body on Feb 7 7:30pm PST and no word on shipment. I talked Amazon customer service and they said I would receive it by May 16th and they were very sorry for the delay. Not sure how accurate that day is, so I've got a couple of other places where I pre-ordered from. We'll see who can ship the body first.

jonkim16's gear list:jonkim16's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,370Gear list
Like?
In reply to jonkim16, Apr 22, 2012

saw a really logical explanation earlier in a thread, refering to the fact that probably only a small sample of the first production was air freighted to the States to meet the release date, and a larger shipment would more than likely come through the usual freight channels. I am hoping that this is true as it is a regular practice in the manufacturing realm. At least I hope it is a realistic option, meaning that those of us waiting will be shipped in the coming week or two.

-- hide signature --

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Baron Fung
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
In reply to MrKal_El, Apr 22, 2012

Just got an email that my Amazon pre-order has shipped! ETA is end of next week. I ordered a black E-M5 with 14-42mm on Feb 7.

LeeS
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?
In reply to MrKal_El, Apr 22, 2012

Silver E-M5, 12-50 kit shipped Sunday morning, 22 April.
Pre-ordered from Amazon on 8 February.

As others noted in a previous thread, my Amazon Prime membership seems to have been ignored. The default shipping mode is free 2 day shipping, usually via UPS, for prime members. Mine is shipping USPS with an expected delivery date of Friday, 27 April.

At one point I had fantasized that Prime Membership might put me further up the line of pre-orders sort of like flying first class. Not only does that not appear to be the case, I do not even get expedited delivery. Oh well, not a major issue. I am just relieved that I will definitely have it in time for a trip to Kauai in early June.
Lee
--
http://leesmalley.smugmug.com/

LeeS's gear list:LeeS's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2
Michael Dodge Thomas
Regular MemberPosts: 179
Like?
In reply to LeeS, Apr 22, 2012

My order (same camera/lens) was placed on 2/8 as well, still no ship date, however.

Hopefully this means Amazon must be pretty close to working down to my position in the queue.

MrKal_El
Like?
In reply to LeeS, Apr 22, 2012

LeeS wrote:

Silver E-M5, 12-50 kit shipped Sunday morning, 22 April.
Pre-ordered from Amazon on 8 February.

As others noted in a previous thread, my Amazon Prime membership seems to have been ignored. The default shipping mode is free 2 day shipping, usually via UPS, for prime members. Mine is shipping USPS with an expected delivery date of Friday, 27 April.

At one point I had fantasized that Prime Membership might put me further up the line of pre-orders sort of like flying first class. Not only does that not appear to be the case, I do not even get expedited delivery. Oh well, not a major issue. I am just relieved that I will definitely have it in time for a trip to Kauai in early June.
Lee
--
http://leesmalley.smugmug.com/

Interesting...so your invoice date is actually the 8th & yours has shipped? According to I have heard.... that kit from the 7th orders hasn't shipped for at least 7 others .. I hope I get lucky too!

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads