New OM-D has broken down

Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions
alzo
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
New OM-D has broken down
Apr 20, 2012

It worked perfectly for about 6 hours of shooting over two days, then it started turning itself off about 5 seconds after switching it on. It was intermittant but has now become a permanent feature. During its brief time awake the LV screen is alive but doesnt show any info and no buttons work, then it just dies completely. Switching it off and back on doesn't usually work, but currently if I pull the battery and put it back it all comes back to life (until it gets turned off again)

Battery is fully charged and I bought a brand new Sandisk ultra class 6 card, didn't help. Oh, and last night I did the new firmware upgrade, didn't help.

A few times now in that 5 seconds of life the LV image jumps up and down with loud clicks, i'm imagining the floating sensor is madly crashing up and down.

I've been looking for anyone out there with a similar problem, but even tech support seems to have no clue about this...I have to send it back. :

(I have say that after about 6 calls the last two days, Olympus support is unbelievably good)

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: New OM-D has broken down
In reply to alzo, Apr 20, 2012

Annoying.

Good to hear that support is good - implies the are not being snowed under with similar problems!
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dcassat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
Wow and Sorry!

That's a little nightmare you're having.

The good thing is Oly support. Yeah, concentrate on that!

What else is there?

I hope all works all well after this for you!

Dan

dcassat's gear list:dcassat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +5 more
markintosh13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,421
Like?

Do update us on how this turns out!

Hope they replace / fix it quickly.

snapper1967
Contributing MemberPosts: 673
Like?

alzo wrote:

It worked perfectly for about 6 hours of shooting over two days, then it started turning itself off about 5 seconds after switching it on. It was intermittant but has now become a permanent feature. During its brief time awake the LV screen is alive but doesnt show any info and no buttons work, then it just dies completely. Switching it off and back on doesn't usually work, but currently if I pull the battery and put it back it all comes back to life (until it gets turned off again)

Mine does the screen thing. Not died completly yet though.

Battery is fully charged and I bought a brand new Sandisk ultra class 6 card, didn't help. Oh, and last night I did the new firmware upgrade, didn't help.

A few times now in that 5 seconds of life the LV image jumps up and down with loud clicks, i'm imagining the floating sensor is madly crashing up and down.

I've been looking for anyone out there with a similar problem, but even tech support seems to have no clue about this...I have to send it back. :

(I have say that after about 6 calls the last two days, Olympus support is unbelievably good)

-- hide signature --

Just enjoy what you do.

alzo
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to snapper1967, Apr 20, 2012

"the screen thing"

do you mean just the shutdown or the jumping image?

the latter is scary, it seems it will break itself since it is so loud and wild.

i wouldn't wait to see if it clears itself up if i were you.

MichaelT
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,780
Like?
My OD-D died after 20 minutes of life

I got mine today. Charged battery for about an hour, experimented with camera and set menu settings. Took a few test shots. Formatted the card. But thinking back the first few times I turned it on it did the screen thing (kind of turned on and then went dead). Setting the switch to off and on again brought the camera alive.

Bottom line I used it for about 20 minutes of menu setting and test shots. Then shot movie and the picture jittered up and down. Bottom line is that it has not turned on properly since. Tired removing battery, different lenses, with a card without a card. Nothing seems to bring it to life now.

I was hoping that there is a hardware resets (hold a few buttons as it turns on) but I can only read on forums to leave the battery out for a day and it will reset. Yikes.

I share this so that we can see how wide spread a problem this is, and to see if anyone has any helpful thoughts to bring our OM-Ds back to life.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Michael Tapes
Owner: RawWorkflow.com
Creator: WhiBal, LensAlign

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: My OD-D died after 20 minutes of life
In reply to MichaelT, Apr 20, 2012
cmorse
Regular MemberPosts: 496Gear list
Like?
Re: My OD-D died after 20 minutes of life

Battery charge issue? They do recommend letting it charge at least 3 hours before using it.

cmorse's gear list:cmorse's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,765
Like?

In another thread someone described how he gets the sensor jumping/clicking when he holds his E-M5 upside down. So make that four.

micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,550Gear list
Like?

Sounds like short somewhere. Or, maybe some power control element died.

If wrong voltage is applied to IBIS magnets they may behave crazy. Camera possibly shuts down either to prevent overheating or because of lack of power.

I would double-check contacts on battery, charger and inside the camera. If you have voltmeter - verify battery voltage. May not fix it but doesn't hurt either.

When I plug discharged battery in my E-P3 it would also start for few seconds and then shuts down.

If it's really dead I would ask to post serial numbers, at least first part of it - could be a batch issue.

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
MichaelT
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,780
Like?
I started a new thread to track my workaround

I have begun a new thread to gather data for a workaround that I have stumbled onto.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=41281360
--
Regards,

Michael Tapes
Owner: RawWorkflow.com
Creator: WhiBal, LensAlign

Laszlo13
Contributing MemberPosts: 794Gear list
Like?
Which store were these from?

If not serial numbers - which store were these from? Hope not B&H. I'll be testing the camera heavily this weekend and next week though.

In theory, the electromagnet based stabilization is better than mechanical, and should not wear out. Still no idea what exactly is making the hoise - if there are any other supporting components that can fail.

Laszlo13's gear list:Laszlo13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,480Gear list
Like?
Re: Which store were these from?
In reply to Laszlo13, Apr 20, 2012

Here we go. QC problem, just like others. Something so easily checked should not happen. If they had only just taken a few shots after each camera has been fully assembled.

I am cancelling my order. Better wait and see what happens as more early adopters get theirs.

William Russell
Contributing MemberPosts: 669
Like?
Add me to the list!

Received the black EM-5 with 12-50 and grip yesterday. I have large hands and it feels great to hold and build quality feels fantastic ...but I charged the battery till full. (apx. 2.5 hrs) Inserted battery, turned on and the viewfinder operated for 1 to 2 seconds and then went dead. Couldn't, get anything to display on the LCD or even take a photo. Turned off reinserted battery and same thing. Replaced the battery back in charger again to make sure it was fully charged. No go! Called Olympus and they were so great! Honestly! I was in the appliance repair business for 42 years and know there can be issues with a new product. It is on its way back to them while they look for another replacement. I never even got to take one picture. Never got to even click the shutter once. This morning I decided to update the firmware to see if that would help and absolutely the same thing, although the update went fine. (Done this before with my 2 E5s) What I found I would turn it on as I already said and the EVF came to life for 1 or 2 seconds and then shut down and then around 15 seconds later I heard a dull click in the camera, then dead. I put my ear to the camera body and absolutely dead. For a test I installed my 12-60 with the MMF3 adapter just in case it was a communication problem between the 12-50 and the camera body but the same thing. I could be wrong but since the firmware update went fine and even showed the OK at the end of the update and then again when trying it had the same click and then total silence I am tending to think it may be a hardware issue. Disappointed-a little but Olympus service I have had in the past and now am finding is first class and I will allow them to work through this problem. Thankful I have 2 E5 to use for a wedding tomorrow and thank you Olympus for your concern and attention to my problem!
Bill

sidepocket
Regular MemberPosts: 413
Like?
UH OH
In reply to William Russell, Apr 20, 2012
cmorse
Regular MemberPosts: 496Gear list
Like?
Re: Which store were these from?
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Apr 20, 2012

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Here we go. QC problem, just like others. Something so easily checked should not happen. If they had only just taken a few shots after each camera has been fully assembled.

I am cancelling my order. Better wait and see what happens as more early adopters get theirs.

I'd wait to see what more people have to say. It might turn out to be a wide spread issue or it might be a pallet worth that fedex managed to drop 5-10 feet onto concrete as they were unloading a plane.

cmorse's gear list:cmorse's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
W A Stewart
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
New releases are risky
In reply to sidepocket, Apr 21, 2012

I know this from experience: my E-330 was a very early one and it lost its red channel. (Makes for an interesting effect, by the way.) It was replaced on warranty. So I ordered my E-M5 with this in mind. So far so good but it hasn't had a real workout yet. And things don't always go wrong right away. That first E-330 worked just fine for two or three months.
So let's hope the problems prove to be minor. Too early to tell.
--
W Alex Stewart

W A Stewart's gear list:W A Stewart's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Oly500Enew
Senior MemberPosts: 1,004Gear list
Like?
This makes me wonder
In reply to alzo, Apr 21, 2012

if this is a really fragile camera....with this 5 axis IBIS acting like a floating magnetic field, I wonder if it is sensitive and can be knocked out of whack easily. I doubt it is a widespread problem, but longer term I wonder. Hopefully an isolated incident.
--
I'm not a professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.

http://www.2112photography.net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21868346@N00/

Oly500Enew's gear list:Oly500Enew's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
Andr2
Regular MemberPosts: 219
Like?
Re: Add me to the list!
In reply to William Russell, Apr 21, 2012

I don't know about anybody else, but I just can't read anything like this comfortable without any breaks in the writing.

This is not to be unkind, but I would normally just skip it.
In this case, because I'm commenting, I did read this.

Worrying to read about the rather high problem rate, good news that Olympus is taking it serious.

Best Regards...André

William Russell wrote:

Received the black EM-5 with 12-50 and grip yesterday. I have large hands and it feels great to hold and build quality feels fantastic ...but I charged the battery till full. (apx. 2.5 hrs) Inserted battery, turned on and the viewfinder operated for 1 to 2 seconds and then went dead. Couldn't, get anything to display on the LCD or even take a photo. Turned off reinserted battery and same thing. Replaced the battery back in charger again to make sure it was fully charged. No go! Called Olympus and they were so great! Honestly! I was in the appliance repair business for 42 years and know there can be issues with a new product. It is on its way back to them while they look for another replacement. I never even got to take one picture. Never got to even click the shutter once. This morning I decided to update the firmware to see if that would help and absolutely the same thing, although the update went fine. (Done this before with my 2 E5s) What I found I would turn it on as I already said and the EVF came to life for 1 or 2 seconds and then shut down and then around 15 seconds later I heard a dull click in the camera, then dead. I put my ear to the camera body and absolutely dead. For a test I installed my 12-60 with the MMF3 adapter just in case it was a communication problem between the 12-50 and the camera body but the same thing. I could be wrong but since the firmware update went fine and even showed the OK at the end of the update and then again when trying it had the same click and then total silence I am tending to think it may be a hardware issue. Disappointed-a little but Olympus service I have had in the past and now am finding is first class and I will allow them to work through this problem. Thankful I have 2 E5 to use for a wedding tomorrow and thank you Olympus for your concern and attention to my problem!
Bill

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads