NUKES?

Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions
cfh25
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?
NUKES?
Apr 20, 2012

"Photographs of nuclear weapons, nuclear detonations, nuclear weapons testing, nuclear power plants, nuclear reactors, nuclear disasters, highly radioactive substances, etc."

I welcome a diversity of subject matter, but...!

RaptorUK
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,266Gear list
Like?
Re: NUKES?
In reply to cfh25, Apr 20, 2012

cfh25 wrote:

"Photographs of nuclear weapons, nuclear detonations, nuclear weapons testing, nuclear power plants, nuclear reactors, nuclear disasters, highly radioactive substances, etc."

It is a Challenge isn't it ?

-- hide signature --

Take a look at my album . . . http://www.F1Album.com

RaptorUK's gear list:RaptorUK's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
chrisby
Regular MemberPosts: 212Gear list
Like?
In reply to cfh25, Apr 20, 2012

I prefer to take a picture specially for the challenge instead of scanning my hard drive for an appropriate image.

So I decided to photograph a nuclear detonation and was looking on the internet for an instruction how to make an A-bomb. Unfortunately the description I found was in Iran language and that was (even with the help of a good dictionary) a little bit too risky for me.

This time no entry from my side.

chrisby's gear list:chrisby's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D +4 more
Deleted pending purge
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194Gear list
Like?
In reply to chrisby, Apr 20, 2012

Since no-one says it should be on Earth... I guess a photo of the Sun should fit the requirements...
--
Fil

EvokeEmotion
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?
In reply to chrisby, Apr 22, 2012

Iran language? It's Farsi. Offensive either way.

chrisby wrote:

I prefer to take a picture specially for the challenge instead of scanning my hard drive for an appropriate image.

So I decided to photograph a nuclear detonation and was looking on the internet for an instruction how to make an A-bomb. Unfortunately the description I found was in Iran language and that was (even with the help of a good dictionary) a little bit too risky for me.

This time no entry from my side.

EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,277Gear list
Like?
In reply to cfh25, May 1, 2012

cfh25 wrote:

Just don't stand too close.

I submitted a shot from a constructions site. No weapons or explosions involved. I'm pretty certain that if someone submits a photo of an explosion it's fake.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
chrisby
Regular MemberPosts: 212Gear list
Like?
In reply to EvokeEmotion, May 1, 2012

Just want to make a joke.

I had been several times in Iran for business reasons. I like that country and I love the people there and I also know a bit what people thinks about their government. I am pretty sure that Iran people would not feel offended by my words.

However, if someone feels offended, I very much regret and I apologise for the joke.

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=434187

chrisby's gear list:chrisby's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D +4 more
Slynky
Senior MemberPosts: 2,352Gear list
Like?
In reply to dmanthree, May 1, 2012

While I was undergoing some class in nuclear attacks (etc.) in the military, one soldier raised his hand and asked the instructor how far away one had to be to be safe from an explosion. The instructor said, "If you can look over at your friend and ask him, 'Did you just hear something?', then you're probably safe."

LOL

dmanthree wrote:

cfh25 wrote:

Just don't stand too close.

I submitted a shot from a constructions site. No weapons or explosions involved. I'm pretty certain that if someone submits a photo of an explosion it's fake.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

-- hide signature --

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to their country for an amount of "up to and including my life".

(...from the generation that still uses capital letters and punctuation...)

Slynky's gear list:Slynky's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
dmanthree
Like?
In reply to Slynky, May 1, 2012

Slynky wrote:

While I was undergoing some class in nuclear attacks (etc.) in the military, one soldier raised his hand and asked the instructor how far away one had to be to be safe from an explosion. The instructor said, "If you can look over at your friend and ask him, 'Did you just hear something?', then you're probably safe."

Are you old enough to remember the "duck and cover" films? In the late 50s and early 60s they would show us short films on how to survive a nuclear explosion. All you had to do was duck and cover under your desk at school, and all was good. It was truly bizzare. Many of my neighbors has bomb shelters.
--
-------------------------------------------------
No Signature.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
Slynky
Like?
In reply to dmanthree, May 1, 2012

Yep. I sue do. And one of my well-to-do friends in my home town...their parents built one. LOL
--

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to their country for an amount of "up to and including my life".

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
EvokeEmotion
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?
In reply to chrisby, May 2, 2012

Okay cool. Just so you know, not that it matters, I'm not Iranian, don't speak Farsi, and have never been there.

chrisby wrote:

Just want to make a joke.

I had been several times in Iran for business reasons. I like that country and I love the people there and I also know a bit what people thinks about their government. I am pretty sure that Iran people would not feel offended by my words.

However, if someone feels offended, I very much regret and I apologise for the joke.

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=434187

EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
dmanthree
Like?
In reply to Slynky, May 2, 2012

Slynky wrote:

Yep. I sue do. And one of my well-to-do friends in my home town...their parents built one. LOL

I wonder what they did with those stupid things? Root cellars?

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Slynky
Like?
In reply to dmanthree, May 2, 2012

dmanthree wrote:

Slynky wrote:

Gradually the scare subsided, I guess. I think some people filled them in to avoid liability concerns. Since most were covered with dirt, they were landscaped over...hehe.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

-- hide signature --

dmanthree
Like?

Slynky wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Slynky wrote:

Gradually the scare subsided, I guess. I think some people filled them in to avoid liability concerns. Since most were covered with dirt, they were landscaped over...hehe.

I remember the show "Happy Days," during it's first season (the only good one) had a show where Howard wanted to build a shelter but his family didn't want to. They voted, and the family voted not to survive. Pretty good episode for what turned into a pretty bad show in later years. Anyway, would you want to survive a nuclear apocalypse? Well, not if I had to live in a damned shelter.

Then again, we can all just duck and cover.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Slynky
Like?
In reply to dmanthree, May 2, 2012

dmanthree wrote:

Slynky wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Slynky wrote:

I remember the show "Happy Days," during it's first season (the only good one) had a show where Howard wanted to build a shelter but his family didn't want to. They voted, and the family voted not to survive. Pretty good episode for what turned into a pretty bad show in later years. Anyway, would you want to survive a nuclear apocalypse? Well, not if I had to live in a damned shelter.

Then again, we can all just duck and cover.

I think, at the time, the concern was lving through the blast and a few days till the radiation "blew away". I'm not sure how much info was distributed about the lasting effects of radiation.

And that's just one kind of problem. Given the number of news stories showing looting and greed after hurricanes and other natural disasters, I can only imagine the horror of living amid a society that's become accustomed to taking what they think they deserve. (I'm speaking of the US in particular)

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

-- hide signature --

Deleted pending purge
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194Gear list
Like?

Slynky wrote:

This could be true when you're real close, too

The best I've heard about what to do in such case is a classic, suggesting you put your head between your knees and k.y.a. good bye...

Slynky
Like?
In reply to Deleted pending purge, May 2, 2012

The more commonly-heard variation of it... LOL.

OldArrow wrote:

Slynky wrote:

This could be true when you're real close, too

The best I've heard about what to do in such case is a classic, suggesting you put your head between your knees and k.y.a. good bye...

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads