D3200 vs D90

Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions
jk4747
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Re: D3200 vs D90
In reply to scarper86, Apr 20, 2012

Thanks everyone, I'm sticking with what's on order. Very much appreciate the information and opinions.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
In reply to jk4747, Apr 20, 2012

I can't see the cameras as comparable as they're entirely different in terms of handling and features.

I personally have never bought a camera purely on the sensor it's the overall package that matters. Saying that I'll be happier to give a D90 recommendation once I get my AF problems resolved

TFergus
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?

jk4747 wrote:

Two different posters have used the apples vs. oranges concept here. Pretend I've never used a DSLR before and tell me what you mean by apples vs oranges please? That's really what I'm asking. Thanks!

One is red....
Eh... I'll let someone esle explain that.

Look at it this way...

The D90 has many features the lower end D3200/D5100 don't have. Too many to list but a few that I wouldn't live without are the second LCD on top of the camera... the built-in Flash Command abilities... the auto-bracketing (although weak)... it's 1/4 pound heavier, making it easier to stabilize and it's bigger, meaning it fits in my hands better. Etc.

But if you say price is the reason you brought up this question... I'd be surprised if a D90 cost very much more than a D3200. $100 more maybe? I'd pay a lot more than that for the differences.

But if you want decent video or a red camera....

Patco
Forum ProPosts: 11,399
Like?

jk4747 wrote:

I know there are numerous numerous D90 vs. other cameras threads.

I chose the D90 because it sounded solid and would give me room to grow, without overwhelming me to impossibility with bells and whistles I won't use (D7000). I believe in buying once, rather than starting small and outgrowing, with a purchase this size.

If you intend to grow with your photography, you may soon find the D3x00 entry level models are far too feature-stripped.

The other D90 vs the entry models (D5x00, D3x00) cover most of the feature differences.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

dojoklo
Regular MemberPosts: 428
Like?
How to Choose Your dSLR

There are a few things you should take into account when trying to decide on a dSLR. Without prior experience, it is of course difficult to look at the specs and features and determine if you will need them or not, but let me guide you to a couple articles I wrote which have helped people in your situation begin to ask the right questions and consider the decision, perhaps, from a different perspective:

How to Choose a dSLR
http://blog.dojoklo.com/2010/08/28/how-to-choose-a-new-dslr-camera/

And to compare the different "levels" of cameras (the apples to the oranges) and more importantly how they differ and how and why those differences may affect you:
Nikon D5100 vs D90 vs D7000
http://blog.dojoklo.com/2011/04/14/nikon-d5100-vs-d7000-vs-d90-etc/

Based on what you've said so far, I would suggest you also look at the D5100. I am hesitant to recommend the D90 simply because it is a few years old now - so if you plan to grow into it, in a couple years you will have grown into 6-year-old technology - archaic by consumer electronics standards! You may be better off growing with the D5100, then if you find that in a couple years you need more from your camera, you can upgrade to the latest version of the D90 or D7000.

Danel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,904Gear list
Like?
D90 is a sweetie

I had a D90 for two years and used it a lot. It served me very well. I never had any problems with that camera and I always thought the image quality was top notch. I would go with the D90 if you have already ordered it and not give it another thought.

When people talk about "apples and oranges" between the D90 and the D3200 they mean that the D90 is a higher end camera with more manual controls and internal settings, features, and options. Meanwhile, the D3200 is the latest and greatest low end DSLR. In a couple of ways the D3200 will be superior (newer higher resolution sensor, video), but the D90 is still a more advanced camera, designed for the more experienced shooter.

Danel's gear list:Danel's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +5 more
demarren 123
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,498Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tee1up, Apr 20, 2012

NO thads an fact

Tee1up wrote:
Lol, what?
Is that you Master Yoda?

demarren 123 wrote:
D90 have an worse sensor Real, sound new to me
Don,t get fooled by the noise reduction algorithmic.
Nikon use,but the worse sensor strange nobody complained in the past

hatchback wrote:

D90 is really great. It is bigger, well build, better ergonomics, additional LCD, more hot buttons,... You know all that I think.

It lacks good video functionality (for me its important) and it have worse sensor then new cameras. If you don't bother you will be satisfied of it.

-- hide signature --

My english is poor.Try to Understand
Nikon D70s,Nikon D90,LX3,DP-1 FZ38 FZ100 G11 S95
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73737307@N00/sets/
Claus M

-- hide signature --

Claus M

demarren 123's gear list:demarren 123's gear list
Olympus E-10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D70s +7 more
mothergoose
Senior MemberPosts: 1,227Gear list
Like?

If you ever decide you want a large telephoto lens then the D90 would be a more appropriate body than the 3200. I've been using a D90 for 3 years and it does more than I need it to do. I don't use a lot of the fancy features.
--
Sandy
http://mothergoose.zenfolio.com/

mothergoose's gear list:mothergoose's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
demarren 123
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,498Gear list
Like?

Wel at least one is smart on this forum,an do not fall in the trap of newer is better.
I have my doubts .

My old D70 take excellent pictures just like my old D90
I see no point except for video to upgrade to another costly body.
Just to have more pixels,and may be better noise reduction.

just larger size of files,and can tell me one person who will print pictures 1 1 meter.
1 % or less.
Ask yourself do you need an extra body,for the work you shoot.
Ask yourself will you really print Thad large.
everything else is for more then 90% of the people not needed.
Would you not benefit more from an good lens.
And an body upgrade,well you can do Thad later,
why the Russ to get this new camera.after one year there will be another one.
I simple do not see one good reason.
But tads just me

jk4747 wrote:

Hi,

I know there are numerous numerous D90 vs. other cameras threads. I've read many of them, and finally decided to order a D90 last week. This is an upgrade for me from point-and-shoot, and my intention with the camera is to be able to do the things I currently can't, use mostly in full manual mode, raw, so I can process the image myself on my computer.

I would say I mainly shoot in nature - ranging from close-up macro shots to landscape. Since I'm new to this level of camera, some of the more technical terms elude me as to what they mean in actual practice for my photographic experience.

I chose the D90 because it sounded solid and would give me room to grow, without overwhelming me to impossibility with bells and whistles I won't use (D7000). I believe in buying once, rather than starting small and outgrowing, with a purchase this size.

All this said, the D3200 has me intrigued. Not the pixel count, but the price point. I'm curious what I would be missing out on if I cancelled my D90 order (it's on backorder), and bought this instead. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Claus M

demarren 123's gear list:demarren 123's gear list
Olympus E-10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D70s +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads