Are there any Leica M lenses that don't mount on NEX-7

Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions
GeorgeD200
Regular MemberPosts: 386
Like?
Are there any Leica M lenses that don't mount on NEX-7
Apr 20, 2012

I'm thinking about buying an NEX-7 as a digital body to use my Leica M and screwmount lenses on. I can't afford an M9 or M8.2. M8 cost more used than the NEX-7, and give inferior IQ, so they're out, too. I want APS-c and EVF. For the cost of NEX-5n and the EVF, I might as well buy the NEX-7. I also like the controls and lines better. Call me silly, but the lens mount circle that exceeds the body rectangle of the NEX-5, etc. I find terribly ugly.

My lenses:
Voigtlander 21mm f4 Color-Skopar (Cosina-made)
Leitz Summicron 35mm f2 M-mount
Leitz Summicron 5cm f2 M-mount collapsible
Tokyo Kogaku Simlar 5cm f1.5 m39 screwmount
Leitz Summicron 9cm f2 M-mount
Nikon 105mm f2.5 m39 screwmount

I'll probably also buy a Nikon adapter for my Nikon 50mm f1.2 AIS. I might get other Cosina-Voigtlander lenses, like the 15mm, but I'll probably never buy a Leitz or Zeiss super-wide. I'll shoot mostly in B&W, so I doubt I'll see any of the color shifts that others have reported.

Anything I should know about before I take the plunge? I'm not really interested in any other Sony glass right now, I just want a back for my legacy lenses. I know this has been covered other times, but it's hard to sift through all of the NEX posts to find relevant threads.

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?
Re: Are there any Leica M lenses that don't mount on NEX-7
In reply to GeorgeD200, Apr 20, 2012

Any lens that will fit on a Leica M mount will fit on a NEX series camera with the M mount adapter. The registration distance will be the same as a Leica to match the Leica camera registration distance.

Everything will work fine.

wll

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joe S2001
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
In reply to wll, Apr 20, 2012

It pays to be careful with the collapsible lenses to avoid collisions and damages. I haven't heard a discussion of what works and what can't be collapsed. I have a 50 Summicron that looks very close and assume a old 50 Elmar would not work as it protrudes even further.

Bruce Bowman
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?

Don't be too quick to eliminate the -5N until you've tried it (Sony Store?). It's a great camera.

5N+EVF = 7-$250. Essentially you're paying $250 for the extra pixels, a slightly larger body and an EVF that's built-in keeping the flash mount free. I think the value of the -7 supports the price compared to the -5N. And the -7 is a great camera. But the -5N is a great camera too. You owe it to yourself to handle both before spending your hard earned $$$.
--
Bruce

Bruce Bowman's gear list:Bruce Bowman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +14 more
FERNANDO FERNANDEZ-BOLANOS
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
In reply to Bruce Bowman, Apr 20, 2012

in 4 days i have tested the following leica lenses

28 35 50 135 M

21 35 60micro 180 apo R

retina reflex s k lenses 28 35 50 85 135 200

they all performed very well

also, on the leica lenses i noticed some moire and some softness when blowing up some of the shots at wide openings .they tend to go away as you close down the lens .

now, the adapters may be part of some softness . they are not novoflex adapters but planing to buy them for the m and r when i go to europe next month where they sell for 100 euro ,way below the asking here in the usa .

my current adapters are metabones for m and fotodiox for r

$85 and 29 respectively

the dkl adapter was 29 and so far so good .

caldna
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?

I recently did a review of the Leica M to NEX macro tube helicoid adapter sold by cardany_chan on eBay. It's a clone of the more well known Hawk's Factory helicoid adapter, but cheaper. You can read my review here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&message=41230179

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,728Gear list
Like?

GeorgeD200 wrote:

I'm thinking about buying an NEX-7 as a digital body to use my Leica M and screwmount lenses on. I can't afford an M9 or M8.2. M8 cost more used than the NEX-7, and give inferior IQ, so they're out, too. I want APS-c and EVF. For the cost of NEX-5n and the EVF, I might as well buy the NEX-7. I also like the controls and lines better. Call me silly, but the lens mount circle that exceeds the body rectangle of the NEX-5, etc. I find terribly ugly.

My lenses:

I'll probably also buy a Nikon adapter for my Nikon 50mm f1.2 AIS. I might get other Cosina-Voigtlander lenses, like the 15mm, but I'll probably never buy a Leitz or Zeiss super-wide. I'll shoot mostly in B&W, so I doubt I'll see any of the color shifts that others have reported.

Anything I should know about before I take the plunge? I'm not really interested in any other Sony glass right now, I just want a back for my legacy lenses. I know this has been covered other times, but it's hard to sift through all of the NEX posts to find relevant threads.

All your lenses will work, but you may want to consider the Nex-5N.
E.g., the CV21 can be used on the Nex-5N without post-processing.
The CV21 on the Nex-7 requires post, CornerFix, etc.

The wider angle RF lenses are showing color (magenta) case on the Nex-7, and the edges turn fuzzy. Edge softness is related to field curvature and subject distance, but it is more pronounced on the RF lenses than on e.g. the Sigma lenses. (You can see the edges being soft in all three images below).

See these images:

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
fermy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,167
Like?
In reply to Joe S2001, Apr 21, 2012

Joe S2001 wrote:

It pays to be careful with the collapsible lenses to avoid collisions and damages. I haven't heard a discussion of what works and what can't be collapsed. I have a 50 Summicron that looks very close and assume a old 50 Elmar would not work as it protrudes even further.

There is nothing to be afraid of with collapsible lenses. The lens will not hit the sensor when collapsed, only a baffle around it. A simple rubber band will prevent the lens from collapsing too far and you will get the best of both words: completely safe operation and small size. My impressions of collapsible Industar-22 are here: http://forum.mflenses.com/industar-22-t48796.html

esophoria
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Jul 9, 2012

NEX-7: When using an adapter with M9 lenses...is the exif data passed through? Specifically, when processing the pictures can you see the f stop, ISO, shutter speed, etc.

esophoria's gear list:esophoria's gear list
Leica Macro-Elmar-M 90mm f/4
Mark_McD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?
In reply to esophoria, Jul 9, 2012

esophoria wrote:

NEX-7: When using an adapter with M9 lenses...is the exif data passed through? Specifically, when processing the pictures can you see the f stop, ISO, shutter speed, etc.

No, adapters are mechanical. Metering works because it's TTL but you'll only have your ISO, shutter, etc. no aperture information will be captured, or lens tagged.

-- hide signature --
 Mark_McD's gear list:Mark_McD's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Canon Selphy CP800 +4 more
peter_no
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
In reply to Mark_McD, Jul 10, 2012

I've tested the following lenses on a NEX-7 using a Novoflex adapter and they all work fine:

CV 15/4.5
Leica 24/2.8 ASPH
Konica Hexanon 28/2.8
Leitz 35/2 pre-ASPH v.1
Leica 35/2 ASPH
Leica 50/1.4 ASPH
Leica 75/2 ASPH
Leitz 90/2 pre-ASPH (E55)

capricho72
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
In reply to peter_no, Jul 10, 2012

Leica rangefinder lenses will perform better when mated with the sensor used on the NEX 5-N rather on the NEX 7. Here's my setup:

Photoedit1
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to FERNANDO FERNANDEZ-BOLANOS, 6 months ago

I am way late to this thread but I thought I would add my experience with the Nex-7 and legacy Leica lenses.

I have a Metabones adapter because the Novoflex was out of stock. My Leica 21mm f3.4 Super Angulon and my Leica 28mm f2.8 Elmarit DO NOT fit on the camera with the adapter. Both of them hit the plastic housing for the sensor. So far I have used my Leica 35 f2, Leica 50 f1.4, Leica 90 f2.8, and my Leica 135 f4 and they all work perfectly. The wides do not. Could it be the adapter?

CameraTest
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
In reply to peter_no, 4 months ago

peter_no wrote:

I've tested the following lenses on a NEX-7 using a Novoflex adapter and they all work fine:

CV 15/4.5

Did those images need software correction please?

Besides the Voigtlander, another lens I am also considering is the Leica 21mm /f4 Super Angulon, where the same question would apply.

I do need a wide or super wide, which need not be fast, but I want to avoid too much (or any?) post processing.

Thanks.

Euell
Contributing MemberPosts: 903Gear list
Like?
In reply to CameraTest, 4 months ago

CameraTest wrote:

peter_no wrote:

CV 15/4.5

Besides the Voigtlander, another lens I am also considering is the Leica 21mm /f4 Super Angulon, where the same question would apply.

I do need a wide or super wide, which need not be fast, but I want to avoid too much (or any?) post processing.

Thanks.

The NEX 7 sensor will require the use of Corner Fix or similar corrections in post with many wide rangefinder lenses.  Maybe the upcoming A6000 will be better, but the NEX 5n, 5r and 6 all do quite well with wide angle rangefinder lenses, although I suspect not the CV 15mm.  I use a CV 21mm f4 on a NEX 6 without having to make corrections for smearing or color shifts in post.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,353Gear list
Like?
In reply to wll, 4 months ago

wll wrote:

Any lens that will fit on a Leica M mount will fit on a NEX series camera with the M mount adapter. The registration distance will be the same as a Leica to match the Leica camera registration distance.

Everything will work fine.

wll

That is not a guarantee that it will mount on the NEX-7 or other APS-C body, the Jupiter 12 for example has a bulbous rear element that contacts the plastic shroud that surrounds the sensor, so it will not work properly, it does work fine on the A7(r).

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
CameraTest
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
In reply to Euell, 4 months ago

Euell wrote:

CameraTest wrote:

peter_no wrote:

CV 15/4.5

Thanks.

The NEX 7 sensor will require the use of Corner Fix or similar corrections in post with many wide rangefinder lenses. Maybe the upcoming A6000 will be better, but the NEX 5n, 5r and 6 all do quite well with wide angle rangefinder lenses, although I suspect not the CV 15mm. I use a CV 21mm f4 on a NEX 6 without having to make corrections for smearing or color shifts in post.

Euell, is there any reason to believe that the CV 21mm f4 would behave differently on a NEX-7? In which case I might go in that direction.

Euell
Contributing MemberPosts: 903Gear list
Like?
In reply to CameraTest, 4 months ago

CameraTest wrote:

Euell wrote:

CameraTest wrote:

peter_no wrote:

CV 15/4.5

Thanks.

The NEX 7 sensor will require the use of Corner Fix or similar corrections in post with many wide rangefinder lenses. Maybe the upcoming A6000 will be better, but the NEX 5n, 5r and 6 all do quite well with wide angle rangefinder lenses, although I suspect not the CV 15mm. I use a CV 21mm f4 on a NEX 6 without having to make corrections for smearing or color shifts in post.

Euell, is there any reason to believe that the CV 21mm f4 would behave differently on a NEX-7? In which case I might go in that direction.

Yes, as reported here in other threads, there are problems on the NEX 7, although the CV 21mm Ultron seems to work OK on the NEX 7.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
GXRuser
Contributing MemberPosts: 656
Like?
In reply to GeorgeD200, 4 months ago

My lenses:

I think the Nex-6 is the best Sony APS-C format camera for sharpness and avoiding magenta color shifts, especially with wide angle lenses.

The other camera to consider ia a Ricoh GXR with the Mount module.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads