Lens Choices for 7D

Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions
GeoffE
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
Lens Choices for 7D
Apr 20, 2012

Hi,

Need to start putting money aside for new lenses and appreciate some feedback.

Rather avoid EF-S unless absolutely necessary as I do see myself getting a FF in the future, not sure when but one day. I know staying away from EF-S is a compromise with the 1.6x crop of the 7D but one I'll need to put up with.

I typically shoot landscape, wildlife (birds, BIF, deer, etc.) and sports (sailboat racing mainly).

So, I'm looking at the following:

EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
EF 24-105mm F4L IS USM (see this as my everyday walking around lens)
EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS USM
Extender EF 1.4x III (for when I need a little more reach than 400mm)

EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM is under consideration after the above unless there's a good reason to purchase ahead of time.

Love to throw in a prime lens but at this stage it's not in the budget

Thoughts on the above?

Thanks,

-G

GeoffE's gear list:GeoffE's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +3 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Doug Gabler
Contributing MemberPosts: 619
Like?
Re: Lens Choices for 7D
In reply to GeoffE, Apr 20, 2012

I have both the 24-105 and 100-400 and like both of them. You are going to get a lot of comments that you CAN'T use a 24-105 on a crop camera you should get the 17-55 f2.8. I know it's an excellent lens but I like the longer reach of the 24-105 and have never regretted getting it instead. The 100-400 is a very good lens but requires a far amount of light as it's sharper stopped down to 6.3 to 7.1 and with wildlife you want a high shutter speed. The 7d is nice in this regards as it pretty clean at higher ISO's. Another choice is the 400 f5.6 regarded as one of the sharpest tellies Canon makes at any f-stop. It is light and reasonably price, I went with the 100-400 as I like the versatility of a zoom. You do know that the 7d will loose auto focus when you add a 1.4x to either. I've done the pin taping trick with it on my 100-400 and it will auto focus like that but in a iffy-slow way, something you don't want with wildlife. Static shots on a tripod it works. I know someone who likes the 14 f2.8 but he shoots FF.

You may want to re-think you limitation as far as going to FF. Are you going to keep the 7d when you do or sell it? If you do sell it you can sell the EFs lens with it. If you keep it you will have those lens to use with it. I've toyed with the idea of FF for a long time but the 7d has been so good to me I can't seem to part with the cash. In this regard you may want to consider the 10-22 as your landscape lens. I replaced my 17-40 with it and have found it an excellent lens, sharp and great color. I replaced my 100 f2.8 macro with a 60 f2.8 macro and have liked it as well for the same reasons. As you may have deduced I had the FF option in mind when I started to fill my camera bag.

Have fun.

GeoffE wrote:

Hi,

Need to start putting money aside for new lenses and appreciate some feedback.

Rather avoid EF-S unless absolutely necessary as I do see myself getting a FF in the future, not sure when but one day. I know staying away from EF-S is a compromise with the 1.6x crop of the 7D but one I'll need to put up with.

I typically shoot landscape, wildlife (birds, BIF, deer, etc.) and sports (sailboat racing mainly).

So, I'm looking at the following:

EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
EF 24-105mm F4L IS USM (see this as my everyday walking around lens)
EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS USM
Extender EF 1.4x III (for when I need a little more reach than 400mm)

EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM is under consideration after the above unless there's a good reason to purchase ahead of time.

Love to throw in a prime lens but at this stage it's not in the budget

Thoughts on the above?

Thanks,

-G

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GeoffE
Like?
In reply to Doug Gabler, Apr 20, 2012

Thanks Doug,

I have the EFS 15-85 now and after reading another post may just stick with it versus the 24-105. But there are times the 85 just isn't enough and the 100-400 or 400 wouldn't be practical.

I'll take a closer look at the 400 f5.6 but like you I like the versatility of the zoom. Thanks for the heads up on the 1.4x; I remember reading about that and appreciate the memory jog. Silly for Canon to do that

For the cost of the 10-22 you make a good point for landscapes. I'll take another look.

If I picked up a FF my plan would be to keep the 7D for wildlife. Again, like you, very happy with the 7D so it won't be a knee jerk decison. Plus, need to figure out how to justify two cameras like these to my better half...I'm sure she would catch on

Too many choices

Thanks again,

-G

Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +3 more
VisualNectarPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?

What about the "L" Series perhaps the 70-200 f 2.8? it’s a great lens, pretty pricy, but also weather proofed which is what you will need out on the water. The entire L series line is the only canon lens line, to my knowledge, that are all weatherproofed.

I would look into L series EF equipment. Top quality optics and excellent build quality

VisualNectarPhotography's gear list:VisualNectarPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Nikon D2Hs Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,381Gear list
Like?

If you already have the 15-85, I seriously doubt you'd see all that much benefit from a 24-105 on the 7D unless you spend an awful lot of time shooting that thin band between 85mm and 105mm. You already have one of the two best walk around lenses available for the 7D IMHO (the other being the 17-55).

The 10-22 is a very specialized lens, but when you need it, it does a great job. What's more, for most better quality lenses in good condition, values hold up well over time. Unless you're sure you will go FF in the next year or so and use it for landscapes, you'll likely get more than your money's worth out of the 10-22. You should be able to sell it for a very decent price once it becomes effectively redundant.

The 100-400L is also fantastic on the 7D. I shoot mostly at max range (400mm), but having the ability to go shorter pays off when you really need it. Even though the 400 f/5.6 is purportedly a bit sharper, both the zoom and the IS made the 100-400L a no brainer. And, I'm very happy with the sharpness I'm getting (after having done an MFA adjustment for that lens).

GeoffE wrote:

Thanks Doug,

I have the EFS 15-85 now and after reading another post may just stick with it versus the 24-105. But there are times the 85 just isn't enough and the 100-400 or 400 wouldn't be practical.

I'll take a closer look at the 400 f5.6 but like you I like the versatility of the zoom. Thanks for the heads up on the 1.4x; I remember reading about that and appreciate the memory jog. Silly for Canon to do that

For the cost of the 10-22 you make a good point for landscapes. I'll take another look.

If I picked up a FF my plan would be to keep the 7D for wildlife. Again, like you, very happy with the 7D so it won't be a knee jerk decison. Plus, need to figure out how to justify two cameras like these to my better half...I'm sure she would catch on

Too many choices

Thanks again,

-G

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
VisualNectarPhotography
Like?

if you want versatility the EF-S 70-300 USM IS II is not a bad lens at all. It would be great for on the water as well as wildlife. The two stage image stabilizer allows you to turn off just the horizontal stabilization (leaving the vertical on) so that you can pan with your subject while still eliminating the bounce. I have this lens and absolutely love its range

Canon EOS 300D Nikon D2Hs Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
Calliope
Contributing MemberPosts: 771Gear list
Like?

I have the 15-85, 70-300L and recently bought a used 400mm 5.6 for birding. The 70-300 is great as it is small enough to carry all day. The 400mm 5.6 has amazed me with how clean the images are. A friend has the 10-22 and after seeing some of her landscapes I am considering adding one. She gets some terrific photos with that lens.

Calliope's gear list:Calliope's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
VisualNectarPhotography
Like?
In reply to Calliope, Apr 20, 2012

The 10-22 is an awesome lens, I just got one and have been blown away. It has the same USD element in it that an L series would contain so in terms of optical quality it is a canon L series lens (if it was an EF lens I would bet that it would hold this title). Its also one of the best feeling lenses that I own, they really put some effort into building this lens right.

neocacher
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?

I know you dont want ef-s lenses, BUT you may want to consider the 10 - 22 ef-s. Resale value is very high on ebay if you ever decide to get rid of it. And it would give you full range of cover with your 24 -105 L. You may also want to consider the newer 8 - 15 L zoom, also somewhere in the equation. You could have a lot of fun with that lens.

GeoffE
Like?
In reply to neocacher, Apr 20, 2012

Thanks everyone,

This is actually looking better from a $$'s perspective.

Taking everyones suggestions and checking out the reviews this is looking like the new line up:

EF-S 10-22
EF 70-300 L
EF 400 f/5.6

Anyone know if the 400 AF works with the extender? Not sure I'll need it but just in case....

I'll keep the 15-85.

Works out to be $1200 Cdn. less than my first post option. I can spend this on other "stuff" for the camera

Rgds,

-G

Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,208Gear list
Like?

GeoffE wrote:

Anyone know if the 400 AF works with the extender? Not sure I'll need it but just in case....

Same problem as with the 100-400. The 400 f/5.6 becomes f/8 with the extender and AF is just as sketchy.

-- hide signature --

Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Mr  Roygbiv rainbow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,891
Like?
In reply to Y0GI, Apr 20, 2012

Hi Geoffe , surprised that nobody has mentioned the 1.8 "Cheapo Plastic Nifty Fifty" for less than £100 as the prime you desire whilst saving up for all that mega money "L" glass !

One life ! Live it !
Roygbiv

Doug Gabler
Contributing MemberPosts: 619
Like?

Well they aren't silly, I think they are just protecting themselves. Remember if you tape the pins it will auto-focus but poorly. I'm thinking that this is because the focus sensor system is just not as good as on a 1d camera but that's one of the things you get if you pay a few grand more. Canon doesn't want you to try it, have it not work and then get upset with them for something they never designed the camera to do so if the camera detects anything slower then f5.6 the software shuts the focus system down. Don't laugh, I'm sure someone would whine about it. We do the same in copiers. If the machine won't duplex anything heavier then say 200 g/sm the option won't be there if you tell it that's what's in the tray. Of course we have customers set the tray to a lighter weight to fool the machine and sometimes they get it to run and sometimes they don't. If they don't, not our problem.

Thanks for the heads up on the 1.4x; I remember reading about that and appreciate the memory jog. Silly for Canon to do that

-- hide signature --
GeoffE
Like?
In reply to Mr Roygbiv rainbow, Apr 20, 2012

Rainbow, it's been a long day so I'm missing your point.

-G

Mr  Roygbiv rainbow
Like?

Hi Geoffe , My day has finished , you got another six hours west on me ! The "point" I was trying to make was that you can screw a cheap canon Nifty fifty prime on the front of your box for peanuts whilst you wait to afford all the impressive glass you hope to buy .
You said you wanted a prime in the mean time on the cheap ? ? ?
Oh sorry ! It does not fit , too cheap and unimpressive , sorry , my bad !

One life ! Live it !
--
Roygbiv

GeoffE
Like?
In reply to Mr Roygbiv rainbow, Apr 20, 2012

Are you saying everyone who replied saying the 400 f5.6 lens was very good is cheap and should have "screwed" a better quality glass like the 400 f4 or f2.8 on the front of their box?

Rgds,

-G

Peter too
Contributing MemberPosts: 688
Like?

The 400mm 5.6 works very well with both the 1.4X multiplier and the 2X lll multiplier but not with autofocus.

The 70-200 F4 IS is another very good lens which works well and autofocuses with the 1.4X multiplier.

GeoffE
Like?
In reply to Peter too, Apr 21, 2012

Thanks Peter,

I've been searching and reading a number of posts on this subject. There are a lot of options so I'm going to take some time and think more about what I've been shooting and what will work best.

As another person commented on a different post, I'm paraphrasing, after he went back back and looking through previous photo's all of them were at 400mm....so he was questioning why he had the 100-400 lens. Yet someone else makes a point that they have both and use them for different reasons.

So, I'm going to do the same and wait awhile before making the final call. Who knows...may end up with both for different reasons??

Thanks everyone who replied with constructive feedback!

Best regards,

-G

Mr  Roygbiv rainbow
Like?
In reply to GeoffE, Apr 21, 2012

Geoffe , go back to your original post and read " Love to throw in a prime but at this stage its not in the budget "
Watch my lips ! Canon 1.8 50mm prme ! Nifty Fifty for cheapskates !
If the lens fits wear it !

One Life ! Live it !
--
Roygbiv

GeoffE
Like?
In reply to Mr Roygbiv rainbow, Apr 21, 2012

Thanks Rainbow for confirming what I originally thought from your first post.

You know absolutely nothing about me yet you attempt to belittle me based on how I wrote a post.

This explains why you have absolutely nothing to contribute to this post other than mocking and complete rudeness.

Appreciate you not responding to any future posts from me as you're honestly not worth my time to read them. And, btw, I'm not a cheapskate.....I make a very, very good living

-G

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads