New Kit lenses.. the 20-50 with OiS ?

Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions
tjobbe
Contributing MemberPosts: 985Gear list
Like?
New Kit lenses.. the 20-50 with OiS ?
Apr 20, 2012

The german site digitalkamera.de published some news today with more info on the Kit lenses shipped with the NX1000 and the NX20/210

They stated that the new 20-50 will be more silent (good...) and have OiS as well (would be great news)

Run goole translator on that http://www.digitalkamera.de/Meldung/Neue_Setobjektive_Samsung_NX_20-50mm_II_und_18-55mm_III/7702.aspx

Cheers, Tjobbe

EDIT: DCresource as well states for the NX1000:

"Upcoming entry-level Samsung ILC ships in June with an F3.5-5.6, 20 - 50 mm OIS lens."

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +16 more
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
paulhome
Contributing MemberPosts: 819Gear list
Like?
Re: New Kit lenses.. the 20-50 with OiS ?
In reply to tjobbe, Apr 20, 2012

I noticed that. it has to be an error. 99.9% sure.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tjobbe
Like?
In reply to paulhome, Apr 20, 2012

if its an error, it is now all around so they better add the OiS until June release

Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +16 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 12,558Gear list
Like?
In reply to paulhome, Apr 20, 2012

paulhome wrote:

It must be an error, I agree, look at the image on this site:

I don't see OIS on the front as it is on the OIS lens.

I am curious to how the lens is optically. I prefer the bokeh of that lens to the 18-55mm, and the version one of the 20-50 performed very well at 20mm, so I bet they improved tele performance a bit? Hard to say. Maybe they just made it smaller.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +7 more
tjobbe
Like?
In reply to viking79, Apr 20, 2012

viking79 wrote:

paulhome wrote:

I do not rate that as a prove, as the NX210 still comes with the i-Function lens without the i-Function button

apkraven
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
In reply to tjobbe, Apr 20, 2012

tjobbe wrote:

viking79 wrote:

paulhome wrote:

I do not rate that as a prove, as the NX210 still comes with the i-Function lens without the i-Function button

i'm sure viking meant that no "OIS" i written on the lens spec. not the switch.

viking79
Like?
In reply to apkraven, Apr 20, 2012

apkraven wrote:

tjobbe wrote:

viking79 wrote:

paulhome wrote:

i'm sure viking meant that no "OIS" i written on the lens spec. not the switch.

Correct, that just looks like a version 1 of the 18-55mm, I am not sure why they photographed it with an old lens, maybe the MKIII wasn't ready to photograph yet. I think the version II clearly states OIS II or something (II is on it somewhere).

Eric
--

Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +7 more
Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?

I don't really care much for the kit upgrade. but it would be good to see if Samsung releases the 16-80 or 12-24.

PDM
PDM
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,071
Like?
In reply to Ariston, Apr 20, 2012

From imaging Resource:

"Among these is a new version of the 20-50mm lens that's 30% less deep than its predecessor. 2012 model-year kit lenses now feature metal lens mounts; the NX210 kit includes an 18-55mm optic."

The new 20-50 is smaller, but does not have OIS. Interesting, all kit lenses now have metal mounts. Nice.

viking79
Like?
In reply to PDM, Apr 20, 2012

PDM wrote:

From imaging Resource:

"Among these is a new version of the 20-50mm lens that's 30% less deep than its predecessor. 2012 model-year kit lenses now feature metal lens mounts; the NX210 kit includes an 18-55mm optic."

The new 20-50 is smaller, but does not have OIS. Interesting, all kit lenses now have metal mounts. Nice.

Agreed, nice touch. Not a huge deal, but it is a step up from the cheap plastic mounts and doesn't really take much design work. The only new design seems to be the 20-50.

Like Ariston stated, it would have been nice to see a new 16-80 with the NX20. Hopefully if they do an NX1 or something they will release it at that time.

As it is, anyone who has an NX camera probably already has the 18-55, so it seems really strange they keep offering kit only with that lens. It would have been nice if they went Olympus route and also offered a step up lens for maybe $1300 instead.

Eric
--

timedrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ariston, Apr 20, 2012

Ariston wrote:

I don't really care much for the kit upgrade. but it would be good to see if Samsung releases the 16-80 or 12-24.

That's strange to me, because I prefer my mirrorless cameras with small primes, as soon as i start adding zooms my interest falls off a cliff edge.

I understand that a camera has to be released with a generic zoom attached, but i have no interest in even a "fast" zoom lens on a mirrorless.

If you are willing to lug a zoom around, why even bother with a mirrorless format? There are a good few better options to choose from than the Nx mount for mounting big zooms on.

The nx's raisin d'être is to allow a photographer anoption of something different to a zoomed up dslr type intrusion, but still maintaining, as closely as possible, the flow of working within the ergonomics of one.

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
viking79
Like?
In reply to timedrun, Apr 20, 2012

timedrun wrote:

Ariston wrote:

That's strange to me, because I prefer my mirrorless cameras with small primes, as soon as i start adding zooms my interest falls off a cliff edge.

I understand that a camera has to be released with a generic zoom attached, but i have no interest in even a "fast" zoom lens on a mirrorless.

If you are willing to lug a zoom around, why even bother with a mirrorless format? There are a good few better options to choose from than the Nx mount for mounting big zooms on.

The nx's raisin d'être is to allow a photographer anoption of something different to a zoomed up dslr type intrusion, but still maintaining, as closely as possible, the flow of working within the ergonomics of one.

I tell myself that too, but ended up with a 85mm f/1.4 It is a great lens, and size wise isn't terrible on the NX11 or upcoming NX20.

I do wish they would hurry up with the 55mm f/1.8 that was loosely rumored last year, as a compact portrait lens would be really nice.

The reason I would want a 12-24 as it is much wider than 16mm and there is nothing wider than 16mm right now. I would be happy with a 10 or 12mm prime as well.

Eric
--

timedrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?

viking79 wrote:

timedrun wrote:

Ariston wrote:

I tell myself that too, but ended up with a 85mm f/1.4 It is a great lens, and size wise isn't terrible on the NX11 or upcoming NX20.

I do wish they would hurry up with the 55mm f/1.8 that was loosely rumored last year, as a compact portrait lens would be really nice.

The reason I would want a 12-24 as it is much wider than 16mm and there is nothing wider than 16mm right now. I would be happy with a 10 or 12mm prime as well.

Eric
--

Eric

I'm justifying myself,, if I could afford the 85mm I'd totally have your back.

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
jj74e
Senior MemberPosts: 1,632
Like?
In reply to timedrun, Apr 20, 2012

i wonder how the 18-55mm III will differ from the II version. better quality zoom/focus rings? would be nice

Ariston
Like?
In reply to timedrun, Apr 21, 2012

timedrun wrote:

viking79 wrote:

timedrun wrote:

Ariston wrote:

Eric
--

Eric

I'm justifying myself,, if I could afford the 85mm I'd totally have your back.

basing from Samsung's proposed mirrorless camera lineup, they seem to target 3 areas of the market according to the demands of each sector. one market is for the budget slim line, one is for enthusiast slim and one for the advance amateur type. the first two mirrorless class would be ideal for pancake, while the advance amateur will have the bigger body for the bigger lenses which would cater the fast zooms. if Samsung is really serious in bringing out the pro grade camera, we might see a FF or MF mirrorless camera which would expand the lens lineup further. I think a fast 55 pancake is not that hard to make and release this year. if the video regarding the experimental AF conversion of a manual focus lens has any truth to it, then the 55mm should be just around the corner.

as far as the 85mm Samsung goes, it's one of the best lens that came out last year after the superb 30mm.

Ariston
Like?
In reply to Ariston, Apr 21, 2012

anyway, the 85mm is okay on the NX200, but it needs a bigger body for great balance.

Jay Kelbley
Contributing MemberPosts: 574Gear list
Like?
In reply to tjobbe, Apr 21, 2012

All of the material that I have shows the new 20-50 without OIS...

This new version of the 20-50 has a metal mount vs. the composite mount used on the original 20-50mm.

I will request verification of OIS on the 20-50, and let you know.

The first version of the 18-55 did not have OIS or iFunction.

The second version of the 18-55 (bundled with NX200 in U.S.) did have iFunction and OIS.

The latest version of the 18-55 (bundled with NX20 & NX210 in U.S. has iFunction, OIX and a metal mount.

-Jay

-Samsung Electronics

-- hide signature --

Jay Kelbley

Jay Kelbley's gear list:Jay Kelbley's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Camera (Wi-Fi) Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung Galaxy NX Samsung NX30 +10 more
jgardia
Contributing MemberPosts: 566
Like?
In reply to Jay Kelbley, Apr 21, 2012

Hi Jay,

The first version of the 18-55 did not have OIS or iFunction.

Sorry, I have the first version and it has OIS but not iFunction.

Cheers,

Jose

simontramper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jay Kelbley, Apr 22, 2012

Jay if you can find out when the 12-24 is coming out please .

simontramper's gear list:simontramper's gear list
Samsung NX200 Samsung Galaxy NX Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +8 more
Jay Kelbley
Contributing MemberPosts: 574Gear list
Like?
In reply to jgardia, Apr 22, 2012

I stand corrected..
(I don't have one of the first ones in my collection)..
Thanks!

Also, I just confimred with the team that the new 20-50 does not have OIS, and it still has the composite mount..
The external indusrial design is a little different.

The 18-55mm is getting the metal mount upgrade.

-Jay

-Samsung Electronics

-- hide signature --

Jay Kelbley

Jay Kelbley's gear list:Jay Kelbley's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Camera (Wi-Fi) Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung Galaxy NX Samsung NX30 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads