Chose the 100 over the Pro

Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions
Polyfem
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Chose the 100 over the Pro
Apr 20, 2012

A while ago I asked you for advice on choosing between the 100 and the Pro. I received many excellent responses, which had a big impact on my choice. Prior to my post I had the notion that the Pro was superior to the 100 on all parametres except two: physical attraction and simplicity.

It was great for me to read the experiences by the 100 owners. I know I am a fan forum, but regardless: every owner seemed to be happy with his device. My son, who has revitalised my interest in photographing, spoke for the possibility of changing lenses as a heavy argument for the Pro, and having used an SLR with that choice in the past, I was captured by the argument right until the thread was gone. However, I was also thrilled by the above mentioned arguments for the 100 and they won in the end.

There's no doubt that the Pro is the better camera objectively, but with a 3-lenses equipment it's also 3 times as expensive. I had the means to buy the Pro anyway, but after many reflections on my needs, the person I am, the photographer I want to be with the camera, I came to the conclusion that the fixed 35 mm equivalent would be a great companion for me, an inspirational restriction I could use creatively. Some of you also expressed that argument.

The looks of the cameras couldn't be ignored either. I am 64, from the old film days, when all cameras looked like the 100 and Leicas. I am deeply inspired and influenced by Henri Cartier-Bresson and his approach to photography. I was in Paris last week, visited "his" museum, saw his first Leica - oh what a joy! And being publisher on art books, aesthetics means a lot to me. The Pro is a handsome fellow, but the 100 is a beauty! And now, with the 100 (acquiered two days ago) next to my PC while writing this, I smile every time I look at it.

Being new to more advanced digital photographing, I shall have to learn a lot. But I have my old experience. I know the main parametres very well, and I know what it takes to make a good photography, so I shall bravely step into the world with the wonderful Fujifilm X 100 in my hands.

My warm thanks to all of you who took the time to share your experiences and offer great advice to me. This forum has been a great friend to me.

Sven

PS: Of course, my son has accompanied me on the purchase and last night he visited us, helping me updating firmware etc. Even with his great Sony DSLR he was quite impressed by the capabilities of the 100. He has been a great support and consultant all the way and, knowing who I am, agreed with me on my choice. It has also been a great father-son experience, highly recommendable!

BlueScoobyDoo
Regular MemberPosts: 343
Like?
Re: Chose the 100 over the Pro
In reply to Polyfem, Apr 20, 2012

You cant go wrong either way.

Enjoy the camera and post some pics!!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shiner
Contributing MemberPosts: 802
Like?
In reply to Polyfem, Apr 20, 2012

What a charming, gentle, and positive posting yours is. Really cheered me, this morning. Thank you. You're going to love the X100, I think. I've had mine for 11 months, but have mostly hated it, until the recent firmware updates. This was due to its uncertain AF performance. Now that it focuses, reliably, it's everything I want from a camera. I use many different systems, here, but the 100 now stays slung across my body for most of the given day. It's become the sort of visual diary that I'd hoped it would be. Previously, I'd used a GF1, and before that, the M8 and the RD-1 in this role. I still love those units, and will keep them till they fall apart. But the X100 now offers me the informality of the GF1, combined with something beyond that of beautiful file characteristics of the RD-1. And, of course, it's higher ISO performance takes me beyond anything I've ever allowed myself to use the M8 for. I am thinking of buying a second X100, now that prices are falling.

Enjoy your photography.

Shiner

Polyfem
Like?
Thank you, Shiner
In reply to Shiner, Apr 20, 2012

... for your very kind words, really appreciate - and for your own story with the camera. Fortunately, in buying my 100 these days, I have the latest firmware and has been spared of the frustrations, you mention. Interesting to read about your other cameras. I am anxious now, of course, to begin my journey.

Best,
Sven

nawknai
Contributing MemberPosts: 943Gear list
Like?
In reply to Polyfem, Apr 21, 2012

No problem whatsoever.

Enjoy your new camera, and thanks for updating us.

nawknai's gear list:nawknai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?
In reply to Polyfem, Apr 21, 2012

My photography background is somewhat similar to yours, and I like my X100 for the same reasons as you. I think Cartier-Bresson would be very happy with it too! Have fun with your nice new camera.

Polyfem
Like?
In reply to nawknai, Apr 22, 2012

Thank you!

Polyfem
Like?
In reply to Cailean Gallimore, Apr 22, 2012

Thank you, Calean, nice to know there are kindred spirits out there!

Polyfem
Like?
In reply to BlueScoobyDoo, Apr 22, 2012

Many thanks. I will!

theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
In reply to Polyfem, Apr 22, 2012

I'm happy you made a decision to go with an excellent quality camera which will reward a patient approach to photography. I find that to be what I appreciate the most about the X100, even if I can coax it to perform well under pressure as well (although it does take a bit more effort than with most compacts - not to mention SLR's). In choosing between the X100 and the Xpro you really were deciding between two marvelous systems, so neither choice could be wrong, really.

I agree with your reasoning on the creative use of the focal length limitation - and I will add the note that even when I have my superzoom compact with me (like for example at the recent Songkran festivities in Thailand) I pretty much only use it wide open. Once you get used to framing mentally before taking the shot anything else feels ... I don't know how to put it, not quite wrong, but also not very interesting.

That said I'm still a rank amateur, although I love the journey of learning to use the fantastic tool the X100 is. I expect you will as well.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Polyfem
Like?
Mange tak, Jesper
In reply to theswede, Apr 22, 2012

Great to read your thoughts. Yes, I expect to be very happy with my 100 - I already am. Just haven't got time and opportunity to use it yes, but I can wait, I'm a patient man!

Thanks for your response.

Sven

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads