D3200 and Manual Video Control

Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions
Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?
D3200 and Manual Video Control
Apr 20, 2012

any news about that ?

In the main specs, Nikon states that they have improved the manual settings (manual exposure) : is that true ? (this would be time actually, after 4 years)

Could anyone share the link of the PDF user manual ?

Thanks !

Nikon D3200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Deleted-pending
Like?
Re: D3200 and Manual Video Control
In reply to Deleted-pending, Apr 20, 2012

anyone ?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin Grecner
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?

So far the only information I have seen is here in D-Movie section:

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d3200/features04.htm

What it says about manual control is this:

"With the D3200, manual setting for movie recording is possible (only when exposure mode is set to M). You can set shutter speed and ISO sensitivity before starting recording*.

Set shutter speed depends on movie frame rate; ISO sensitivity can be set within the range from ISO 200 to 6400 and ISO 12800 equivalent (Hi 1)"

It does not say anything about apperture. So we have to wait for more information.

The good news is that they finally take the exposure mode into account, hopefully not requiring you to select manual video mode in menus as it is on D7000.

Martin

rockjano
Senior MemberPosts: 2,359Gear list
Like?
In reply to Martin Grecner, Apr 20, 2012

It is probably still a far cry from Canon...(sigh)

Deleted-pending
Like?
Oh my...
In reply to rockjano, Apr 20, 2012

Does it mean we have to wait next generation or maybe the one after to get proper video controls over the shutter as well ? What the heck is going on : did Nikon sign any devils alliance with Canon and Sony to share the market ?

Deleted-pending
Like?
Sorry to sound dramatic, good news maybe :

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d3200/features04.htm

"With the D3200, manual setting for movie recording is possible (only when exposure mode is set to M). You can set shutter speed and ISO sensitivity before starting recording*. Furthermore, a flicker reduction function is employed to enable you to select flicker frequency (50Hz/60Hz) or choose automatic."

Martin Grecner
Like?
In reply to Martin Grecner, May 2, 2012

Well, I have an update, it seems that you still need to select Manual video mode from the menus, same as it is on D7000.

This is an response from Nikon on Nikon USA Q&A page:

"In Manual movie settings, you'll need to choose ON to allow manual adjustments to shutter speed and ISO sensitivity when the camera is in mode M."

Martin

Martin Grecner
Like?
In reply to Deleted-pending, May 4, 2012

Now that the user's manual is out, I can read the following:

pg88:

"Set aperture before recording in mode A or M"

So it seems that you do not have to set aperture before going into live view, but only before the recording starts, which is good.

It also means you can not change the aperture while recording, which is not that good, but I do not care much.

pg89:

There is a paragraph saying that to take a photo during movie recording you have to press the shutter, but then the recording will stop and exit into liveview, at least that is how I understand it.

There is also a sentence which says that matrix metering is used for video regardless of the settings.

There is a paragraph saying that shutter speed and ISO are adjusted automatically, unless the camera is in M mode AND on is selected for manual movie settings.

It does not, however, say, what happens if the camera is in M mode without manual movie settings being on, or when the camera is in S mode (does it still automatically adjust the shutter ?)

pg90:

There is a paragraph saying that when HDMI device is connected, the device shows the indicators as in the picture, but there are no indicators visible in that picture as far as I can see, just plain image with black bars surrounding it.

So someone has to test if clean image goes out over HDMI or not and what resolution it is.

pg91:

Slowest shutter for 24p or 25p frame rates is 1/30s. So 1/25 s is not possible I am afraid.

And that is it.

I have not noticed any sign of MIC volume indicator, for example.

Also, there is no description how the camera behaves in S mode and in M mode when manual video controls are disabled.

Martin

Martin Grecner
Like?
In reply to Martin Grecner, Jun 6, 2012

Martin Grecner wrote:

I have not noticed any sign of MIC volume indicator, for example.

Lately I came across this video on YouTube showing the MIC volume indicators in action, so they are there for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frIkN7lQwhE

Martin

Deleted-pending
Like?
In reply to Martin Grecner, Jun 6, 2012

I just purchased the D3200, it has full manual control in video, confirmed.

Also, to switch from NTSC to PAL recording frame rates, you need to switch the NTSC to PAL image output which is 2 tabs lower in the menu.

Finally, something very weird and annoying is that Video starts at 200 ISO only ( you need a stronger ND filter to shoot around 2.8) , photo modes however, start at 100 iso...

tabloid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,726
Like?
In reply to Deleted-pending, Jun 6, 2012

In video mode u can set it to 100 iso and it stays there providing u video in either shutter or aperture priority.
if u put it into M mode then it jumps to 200 iso

Sometimes i will shoot in S (shutter priority).

Setting the camera to lets say 50th and let the aperture go up and down depending on what environment I'm shooting in.

If you want to lock your shutter speed and aperture then go to M and it will lock the shutter speed and aperture as u have set it.

All these video setting have their usages in different situations.

Mirror-less cameras are the best for videoing as you can look through the viewfinder, and the lenses are silent as they are specially optimised for video shooting, something that Nikon and Canon don't do.
Also make sure that all your lenses are VR.
G

Deleted-pending
Like?
In reply to tabloid, Jun 6, 2012

Thanks for your help and information.

I was thinking about getting a 17-50mm constant 2.8 lens. I filmed with the Tamron 17-50mm (non VC) on canon and it was a good lens. Apparently the newer VC version is not as sharp as the older version (photozone review).

I tested the Sigma OS HSM 17-50mm but really dislike the handling (short manual focus ring and reverse zoom). I was going to purchase the Nikon 17-55mm 2.8 but it doesn't has VR so the choice is really hard.
What do you think ?

tabloid wrote:

In video mode u can set it to 100 iso and it stays there providing u video in either shutter or aperture priority.
if u put it into M mode then it jumps to 200 iso

Sometimes i will shoot in S (shutter priority).

Setting the camera to lets say 50th and let the aperture go up and down depending on what environment I'm shooting in.

If you want to lock your shutter speed and aperture then go to M and it will lock the shutter speed and aperture as u have set it.

All these video setting have their usages in different situations.

Mirror-less cameras are the best for videoing as you can look through the viewfinder, and the lenses are silent as they are specially optimised for video shooting, something that Nikon and Canon don't do.
Also make sure that all your lenses are VR.
G

tabloid
Like?

Personally...i only buy full frames lenses with some sort of VR, as to get the sweet spot....much sharper images that way..no problems with fall off at the edges.

Just a question of calculation.

I spoke to tamron the other day and they said the their new FF 24-70 VC (VR) for nikons should be out shortly

24-70 comes to 36-105 for the D3200 which suites me fine. (if my 'sums' are correct).

G

Deleted-pending
Like?

yes I was thinking about this lens as well, but 24mm on DX is kinda short don't you think ? Especially in Narrower spaces. Also, it appears that the lens received inconsistent reviews on BH and other websites. It appears to be quite soft at 70mm 2.8 and the bokeh seems concentric (onion rings) but this could be an issue only when VC is "on".

tabloid
Like?

I dont shoot in narrow spaces.....so that would not apply to me.
See if there is a wide angle lens in FF, and then work the sums out.

Deleted-pending
Like?

love your shots mate !

well, the only viable option in FF would be the 17-35mm 2.8 but then, in terms of portrait it becomes too wide

I will give a try on the Tammy 17-50mm 2.8 VC and maybe purchase the 24-70mm 2.8 VC later on

tabloid
Like?
In reply to Deleted-pending, Jun 7, 2012

Its the best way to do it.

Regards

G

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads