NEX-7 Bounce Flash advantage

Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions
phaseout
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
NEX-7 Bounce Flash advantage
Apr 19, 2012

I had debated for a while between the NEX-7 and the Olympus OM-D, in the interim tried the Fuji X-pro 1 and found it too buggy and returned it. In the end the two factors I had to weigh were the in body IS of the Olympus vs. the Flash on the NEX-7. After thinking about the type of photography I will be doing I went with the NEX-7. I can say I am extremely happy with my choice. The ability to bounce the flash creates great photos indoors and awesome for capturing low light indoor moments. The flash is not too intense but strong enough to bounce and create great illumination. Having it in body keeps the camera small without having to attach a giant flash on top.

I am really surprised the this is rarely mentioned when listing the positives of the NEX-7 or comparing it to other cameras. Overall I'm really happy with the camera love the controls and the IQ.

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Pat Whittingham
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-7 Bounce Flash advantage
In reply to phaseout, Apr 19, 2012

I returned to a Sony system from Pentax due the excellent flash performance.

My NEX 7 is a backup for an A77. I don't often use the built-in flash but often use the small FA20 as well as several FA43 flashes and an FA58 in various portable studio configurations. Even in a single flash mode the external flashes work well. The FA 43 is my go-to flash.

I think of the NEX 7 as a system camera. That said, I do use MFT for some travel and family shots and have ordered an Olympus OM-D due to the current lens offering.

When reality sets in after the inevitable hype subsides, both the NEX 7 and OM-D will find a place in many of our kits.

Pat Whittingham's gear list:Pat Whittingham's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,976Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pat Whittingham, Apr 19, 2012

Pat Whittingham wrote:

When reality sets in after the inevitable hype subsides, both the NEX 7 and OM-D will find a place in many of our kits.

Not when we don't have enough money to afford multiple systems like you do.
Just saying!

http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
kev777zero
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pat Whittingham, Apr 19, 2012

I'm a big fan of the NEX-7's bounce flash capability as well, but I've seen many folks on forums despising built in flashes. when I talked about the lack of a built-in-bounce-able-flash on the E-M5 like previous PENs (my first camera was an E-PL1 which had it) at the m4/3 forums, folks there just barked at me as troll.

I think a majority of DSLR/mirrorless users out there don't really know how to use a flash properly, end up with deer-in-the-headlight-shot and thus just categorizes the built-in-flash as a gimmicky function. Oh well, it's their loss!
built-in-bounced-flash shots:

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
John
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
In reply to kev777zero, Apr 19, 2012
 John's gear list:John's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +1 more
ronniestern
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to John, Apr 19, 2012

How do you get the built in flash to be a "Bounce Flash"?

phaseout
Like?
In reply to ronniestern, Apr 19, 2012

Hold it back with your finger so it points up when you shoot.

ronniestern wrote:

How do you get the built in flash to be a "Bounce Flash"?

hiepphotog
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?
In reply to kev777zero, Apr 20, 2012

kev777zero wrote:

I think a majority of DSLR/mirrorless users out there don't really know how to use a flash properly, end up with deer-in-the-headlight-shot and thus just categorizes the built-in-flash as a gimmicky function. Oh well, it's their loss!

LOL, if they don't even know about bouncing/diffuser, then no matter what type of flash, it would have the same look (not ring).

hiepphotog's gear list:hiepphotog's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7S Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/28 Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +2 more
phaseout
Like?
In reply to kev777zero, Apr 20, 2012

Great photos. Nice even light from the bounce. I honestly dont know why more cameras dont include the bounce flash capability. I guess they lose alot of money from those people who only buy flashes for the bounce capability. I for one do not need to buy a flash now as the built in NEX flash is perfect for every scenario I would use it in. Fill, bounce. Can't ask for anything more.

Not sure why people on the M/43 were giving you a hard time. Maybe they have a hard time accepting that the EM-5 is not perfect. The Olympus folks are gaga over the camera at this point. Not much objectivity when a highly anticipated camera gets released. I personally find it annoying to have to carry a Flash around. One of the reasons I never bought a 5N.

kev777zero wrote:

I'm a big fan of the NEX-7's bounce flash capability as well, but I've seen many folks on forums despising built in flashes. when I talked about the lack of a built-in-bounce-able-flash on the E-M5 like previous PENs (my first camera was an E-PL1 which had it) at the m4/3 forums, folks there just barked at me as troll.

built-in-bounced-flash shots:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads