"X" Lens Promlems

Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions
dickg1
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
"X" Lens Promlems
Apr 19, 2012

I have read numerous threads about the "double imaging" problems associated with the 2 new "X" lenses from Panasonic, but most of these reports appear to involve either the G3 or the GH2.

I am seriously in the market for the GX1 and would like to know if the "problem" is as widespread with this body as has been reported with the two bodies mentioned above. I am by no means a "Panny Newbie" since I've owned and shot with the GF1, G2, GH2 and virtually every lens offered.

Thanks

dickg1

dickg1's gear list:dickg1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 2,744Gear list
Like?
Re: "X" Lens Promlems
In reply to dickg1, Apr 19, 2012

Is it not possible for you to try one out in a shop?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Blue Orca
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
Try ordering it direct from Panasonic or a reputable dealer...

So you can return a faulty lens if you have to.

Blue

Blue Orca's gear list:Blue Orca's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +1 more
jazzbass62
Senior MemberPosts: 1,728Gear list
Like?
Try it - you might like it... send back if not...

dickg1 wrote:

I have read numerous threads about the "double imaging" problems associated with the 2 new "X" lenses from Panasonic, but most of these reports appear to involve either the G3 or the GH2.

I am seriously in the market for the GX1 and would like to know if the "problem" is as widespread with this body as has been reported with the two bodies mentioned above. I am by no means a "Panny Newbie" since I've owned and shot with the GF1, G2, GH2 and virtually every lens offered.

Thanks

dickg1

Hi: speaking from experience with the 14-42mm X lens - just be sure you order one from a vendor with a customer-service oriented return policy. There seem to be good copies and bad copies of this lens. No magic bullet to predict it. So just assume the best, test it carefully to make sure you're happy with it (especially at 42mm with 1/60 - 1/200 shutter speed range) and if you're unhappy - send it back. From looking at OP's comments and pictures of the good lot, it's a nice lens when it's working right, though nothing special. It's real claim to fame is the compact size.
--
---
Cleve

jazzbass62's gear list:jazzbass62's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
drtmw
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?

I have experience with both of the Xs. I use a G3. The 14-42 I got (and will return) is soft (not real dbl images) at anything longer than about 30mm. Tested at infinity focus. Shutter speed did not seem to matter. I tested at middle f stops (I tried to avoid really lg f numbers to avoid diffraction effects). I really wanted it to be good for its small size. It was not nearly as good as the 'ole 14-42 kit zoom, which is not all that bad. One need not even pixel peep to see the difference, the contrast is significantly lower and this is obvious.

The 45-175 had minor blurring at shutter speeds of 1/50-1/100. I found it excellent at other speeds. Good sharpness and contrast. I kept it since I can avoid the problem shutter speeds easily enough and it's so nice and light with a smooth zoom (I like that it is internal focusing).

I hope this helps. It would be great if they worked great on the GX1 (and newer models).

Tom

drtmw's gear list:drtmw's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS
Kevdog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,352Gear list
Like?

Both lenses were bad on both my GF2 and E-PM1. Both sent back.

The 14-42 X seems to have more problems and less good copies.

The 45-175X seems to be much more reliable with at least as many good copies as bad. My guess is around 70% good or more.

Kevdog's gear list:Kevdog's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
f1greg
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kevdog, Apr 21, 2012

These X lens problems is the reason why I am hesitant about buying a GX1. I know that if were to buy a dslr I would use it less due to the bigger size and I really want get a panny m4/3 as I have had good experiences with my lx3 and lx5.

Can anyone recommend what lenses are best and have the least amount of problems.

f1greg's gear list:f1greg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
Moonlight Knight
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?
In reply to dickg1, Apr 21, 2012

dickg1 wrote:

I am seriously in the market for the GX1 and would like to know if the "problem" is as widespread with this body

At the bottom of this page:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgx1/16

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads