Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions
birdbrain
Senior MemberPosts: 3,233Gear list
Like?
Re: Now I get it!
In reply to nitts999, Apr 23, 2012

nitts999 wrote:

birdbrain wrote:

I often have five glasses in an evening, job done I have had my five-a-day of fruit!

This explains SO much....

hic..... Don't know what you mean?
--
Phil

I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
birdbrain
Senior MemberPosts: 3,233Gear list
Like?
Re: How to spell "Lens"
In reply to zorgon, Apr 23, 2012

zorgon wrote:

This annoys me too, although I believe "lense" is the original old english spelling from the days of Newton's "opticks". It's outdated but you can't really say that it's wrong.

When we went to the camera shoppe
--
Phil

I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +16 more
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,673Gear list
Like?
LOL...
In reply to OlavM, Apr 23, 2012

You raise a very good point. I'm pretty sure that we're seeing all this discussion about English grammar because Canon hasn't introduced anything new in the 60D/7D class for quite some some. This leaves forum members with little or nothing new to complain about (except for the same old focus and noise issues).

It's easy for us Americans to forget that the majority of folks visiting this forum may well not regard English as their native language. It's also amusing to see how many of the silly grammatical errors that have been pointed out in this thread usually come from people who are native English speakers.

Anyway, it's all in good fun and a nice distraction, and your Norwegian looked perfect, Olav. (just kidding... Google figured it all out for me).

OlavM wrote:

Hilarious !

But then (than ?) I simply have to add:

My english is soo bad, b.c.se I'm from Norway.

Jeg lurer på hvor godt en amerikaner klarer å skrive norsk, og om han tåler like godt å bli gjort narr av, som det vi ikke-amerikanere tåler (og må tåle), fra enkelte 'over there' , for engelsken vår ?

Oh, you didn't understand that, your 'norsk' is too bad, you say, or was it 'svenska' or 'dansk' or 'deutsch' or .....?

Would be nice to know the total share of members of this forum, not coming from english speaking countries ?
Maybe we even do outnumber them, in fact ?

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
Le Kilt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,662
Like?
In reply to robert1955, Apr 23, 2012

robert1955 wrote:

I've also seen [by native speakers !] lens used as a plural, which led to the very singular 'Len', as in 'My Len is Tack Sharp'

No, she was just saying how clever her husband Len is...

Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,233Gear list
Like?
In reply to Le Kilt, Apr 23, 2012

Tack is an odd name for a husband.
--
Jeff Peterman

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
http://www.pbase.com/jeffp25
http://www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Jeff Peterman
Like?
In reply to OlavM, Apr 23, 2012

Mitt objektiv er veldig grønn på fredager etter regn.
--
Jeff Peterman

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,628Gear list
Like?
Bing strikes again..
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Apr 23, 2012

Det var bemerkelsesverdig hvor lik den engelske oversettelsen er til din opprinnelige...

Ikke lett uten det men åpenbart med det... Hvordan er det for klarhet?

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +3 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,370
Like?
Re: this what BING made of it
In reply to Alan Brown, Apr 24, 2012

Alan Brown wrote:

OlavM wrote:

Hilarious !

Jeg lurer på hvor godt en amerikaner klarer å skrive norsk, og om han tåler like godt å bli gjort narr av, som det vi ikke-amerikanere tåler (og må tåle), fra enkelte 'over there' , for engelsken vår ?

I wonder how well an American unable to write Norwegian, and he holds up just as well to be made fun of, as it holds up, we non-Americans (and must endure), from some ' over there ', for our English?

end quote

As a native Englishman, Im appalled at the arogance

arrogance

we display (of the lack of English spoken by the 'natives') in other countries. I apologise in advance.

I find it ironic that GCSE (an English exam) passes are at an all time high, yet employers repeatedly complain that school leaver job applicantion

application

forms are ineligable

ineligible

and littered with even basic spelling mistakes. Many contain texting shorthand; I have seen it! These forms do not progress to the point where apptitude

aptitude

for the job is even considered.

You're welcome

carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,786Gear list
Like?
Re: There are worse transgressions
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Apr 24, 2012

Jeff Peterman wrote:

onlooker wrote:

While "it's / its", "you're / your" offenses annoy me, nothing comes even close to quoting a long post (particularly with tons of photos in it), or even a whole thread, just to add a single line of comment.

In the old days of USENET an admin could configure news software to follow the 50/50 rule - no more quoted material than new. I wish forums still followed that rule.

Agree.
--

Lol!

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
Dmadson
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
In reply to skanter, Apr 24, 2012

Andrew Jackson (U.S. President) said "It's a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word!"

Of course, he was perhaps not the most educated of men, from a rural background.

Jeff Peterman
Like?
There ...

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman

Calliope
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?
Re: There ...
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Apr 24, 2012

Priceless cartoon:)

Calliope's gear list:Calliope's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
Le Kilt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,662
Like?
Re: this what BING made of it
In reply to Alan Brown, Apr 24, 2012

Alan Brown wrote:

OlavM wrote:

Hilarious !

I wonder how well an American unable to write Norwegian, and he holds up just as well to be made fun of, as it holds up, we non-Americans (and must endure), from some ' over there ', for our English?

end quote

As a native Englishman, Im appalled at the arogance we display (of the lack of English spoken by the 'natives') in other countries. I apologise in advance.

Don't forget that there are idiots everywhere, and amongst us Brits I hope there are enough of us who also help out with polite corrections and tolerance.

I find it ironic that GCSE (an English exam) passes are at an all time high, yet employers repeatedly complain that school leaver job applicantion forms are ineligable and littered with even basic spelling mistakes. Many contain texting shorthand; I have seen it! These forms do not progress to the point where apptitude for the job is even considered.

(P.S. careful, three mistakes above, but meaning is conveyed )

Oh, you didn't understand that, your 'norsk' is too bad, you say, or was it 'svenska' or 'dansk' or 'deutsch' or .....?

Would be nice to know the total share of members of this forum, not coming from english speaking countries ?
Maybe we even do outnumber them, in fact ?

Probably not, it demands quite a good level to converse in a foreign language, which means extra effort when reading and writing. It's good to see people that can and do participate. The more we all communicate with different countries and cultures, the better !

P.S. The only Norse I speak is the one common in southern France...

Skotte i Frankrike

ultimitsu
Senior MemberPosts: 5,422
Like?
spelling mistakes = the least of all problems
In reply to Le Kilt, Apr 24, 2012

what bothers me much more than spelling mistakes are:

1, quotes with photos, waste of bandwidth and screen space, it should be a criminal offence.
2, no punctuation mark and no paragraph, they are often impossible to read.

3, incomprehensible abbreviations. not so often seen here in DPR or other photography forums, but very prevalent in other forums.

4, reply post without any indication as to which post it was replying to. I don't know how people can not know how to use quote function correctly. DPR has the easiest quote function of all the forums I have been to..

ultimitsu
Senior MemberPosts: 5,422
Like?
Re: LOL...
In reply to Jerry-astro, Apr 24, 2012

Jerry-astro wrote:

You raise a very good point. I'm pretty sure that we're seeing all this discussion about English grammar because Canon hasn't introduced anything new in the 60D/7D class for quite some some.

It is because people are not allowed to complain anything about 7D. and there is nothing to complain about 60D.

Steve Balcombe
Forum ProPosts: 10,610
Like?
Re: spelling mistakes = the least of all problems
In reply to ultimitsu, Apr 24, 2012

ultimitsu wrote:

what bothers me much more than spelling mistakes are:

1, quotes with photos, waste of bandwidth and screen space, it should be a criminal offence.
2, no punctuation mark and no paragraph, they are often impossible to read.

3, incomprehensible abbreviations. not so often seen here in DPR or other photography forums, but very prevalent in other forums.

4, reply post without any indication as to which post it was replying to. I don't know how people can not know how to use quote function correctly. DPR has the easiest quote function of all the forums I have been to..

Re (4) - use Threaded View, that's what it's for.

And re all of it - capital letters??

Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,230
Like?

This word drives my wife nuts particularly if media people, politicians, etc use it. Irregardless. It has become socially acceptable but the term is really regardless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless

-- hide signature --

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.

Homer Simpson

Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,230
Like?
Re: There ...
In reply to Calliope, Apr 24, 2012

Good one!

-- hide signature --

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.

Homer Simpson

landscaper1
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
In reply to AusPhil, Apr 24, 2012

Oh, pullleeeeze! Can't we just chalk up some of the spelling and grammatical errors (like "their" and "there," "then" and "than", etc.) as real, honest to god, typos? You know, the kind that happen when your mind is working faster than your fingers?

There is such a thing a "muscle memory," and it even extends to the muscles we use for typing. I know that's true of me, and I assume it's true of others. Let's all take a deep breath, let it out slowly, and then find something REALLY worthwhile to get upset about ...

like trolls, manufacturers not reading these threads and listening to our infinite wisdom, and just plain everyday misinformation.
--
Landscaper

KariP
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,451Gear list
Like?
Instead of eternal focusing issues
In reply to Zee Char, Apr 24, 2012

We can focus on terrible words and incomprehensible things and words ...

The longest word in finnish (language) is: epäjärjestelmällistyttämättömyydelläänsäkäänköhän

It is grammatically perfectly constructed - but totally without any sense in actual use... and i am not quite sure if i can explain what it means...
Lens - lense - lenses problems are so simple.

On this forum very few understand what is a simple word like sharpness when they talk about their new 7D (or 40D or 50D) - " it is not as sharp as...."

• a new camera is not sharp ? what does that possibly mean ???

-- hide signature --

Kari
SLR photography started in 1968, 40D since 2007, and now 7D !
60.21 N 24.86 E

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads