17-40 USM "L"... Or... 10-22 USM on my 60?

Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions
VisualNectarPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
17-40 USM "L"... Or... 10-22 USM on my 60?
Apr 19, 2012

So I picked up the 17-40 L yesterday and love it, like I really like the build quality of this lens, I like the weatherproofing which will keep dust and other crap out… But I’m torn.

Here’s what I like about the “L”

• Amazing build quality

• Manual focus while in AF mode

• comes with a hood and case

• absolutely killer image quality

Here’s what I don’t like about it

• it plows through a zoom range that my 18-135 can do (albeit the 135mm doesn’t share the optics)

The 10-22mm USM

• can manually focus while in AF too

• can get a stunning 108 degrees in frame

• Is not an L (even though it has almost the same optic make up)

• lacks the build quality of the L

I’m at a loss… can someone please give me the slap upside the head that I desperately need?

VisualNectarPhotography's gear list:VisualNectarPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Nikon D2Hs Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
VisualNectarPhotography
Like?
Re: 17-40 USM "L"... Or... 10-22 USM on my 60?
In reply to VisualNectarPhotography, Apr 19, 2012

To clarify I typically shoot funk, rock & jazz concerts

Canon EOS 300D Nikon D2Hs Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,214Gear list
Like?
Totally different focal lengths

You need to multiply by the crop factor, 1.6, to get the focal lengths.

One is super wide to wide (16-35mm), the other is medium range (24-64mm).

Try them in a camera store, or search for photos with those focal lengths to see which is better for you. I would think the 17-40 would work better for concerts, but a lens with a closer range would be even more appropriate.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
kenwnyc
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?

I assume that you are trying to decide between the 10-22 and the 17-40L ?

They are quite different lenses in terms of what you can capture. They are similar in terms of speed. If you need the extra width, then the 10-22. Maybe the 15-85 is the right choice. It gives good IQ and is a little wider than the 17-40 and a decent amount longer.

It seems that you really need a faster lens because of the low light situation you are trying to photograph.

kenwnyc's gear list:kenwnyc's gear list
Sony RX1 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,421Gear list
Like?
Very different types

The 17-40L and 10-22 are very different lenses, at least, they are meant for different cameras. For cameras with a crop sensor, the 10-22 is the ideal ultra-wide angle zoom. The 17-40L is the ultra-wide angle zoom for full frame cameras.

Yes, I too wish Canon would come out with a 10-22 EF-S L, but that's not going to happen.

For your type of photography, if 17mm is wide enough, I would say try the 17-55 f/2.8 EF-S. If 17mm is not enough, the 10-22 is a very good lens, although with a smaller aperture and no IS.

I own the 17-55 and have though about trading it for the 17-40L because of the build quality, but I won't. I might even get the 10-22 as well, if I decide to stick to the 7D line for a longer period. (It depends on the 7DmkII.) Those two lenses are ideal for crop cameras.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
VisualNectarPhotography
Like?
Re: Very different types
In reply to Wyville, Apr 19, 2012

Thanks for the reply, I’ll look into the 15-85.

I have a prime 50mm for those clear low light shots. I’m going to take the 17-40 back and grab that 10-22. It was the last one they had and I’m sure I can negotiate a “display model” discount, with that discount hopefully I can get a hood and a polarizer…

Thanks for the help everyone, I feel like a kid unwrapping a present whenever I get a new lens!

Kmccarthy
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
In reply to Wyville, Apr 19, 2012

I've always wondered why canon doesn't make EFS lenses with L build quality and weatherproofing. The 7D and XXD crop cameras have great build quality and weatherproofing so why not the EFS lenses that are optimized for them? People end up having to use the 17-40L and 24-105L, which aren't ideal for crop cameras and they are left with no L options in the super wide angle range. To make matters worse the best EFS lenses (17-55 2.8 and 10-22) cost almost as much as the full frame L counterparts, which have much higher build quality. It's just odd...

Maybe it is a marketing strategy to get people to eventually upgrade to full frame. It was certainly a factor in my upgrade decision.

Peter Kwok
Senior MemberPosts: 2,112Gear list
Like?
I have both

I got the 17-40L back in 2003 before availability of EF-s lens for my D60 (not to be confused with your modern 60D). Back then, the only way to get a standard zoom on a crop body is to use an ultra-wide angle lens designed for film camera. It was a compromise. Although its build is solid, its picture quality is not much better than the current 18-55 IS kit lens. I have stopped using it since I got the 17-55 f2.8 IS.

The 10-22 is an UWA designed for crop bodies like your 60D. It offers perspective that is amazing and fun. It is sharper in the corners than the 17-40L and much better flare resistance.

Putting the 17-40L on a 60D is the worst type of compromise. You pay extra for the ultra-wide coverage but only use its center crop.
--
Peter Kwok
http://www.pbase.com/peterkwok
WYSIWYG - If you don't like what you get, try to see differently.

Peter Kwok's gear list:Peter Kwok's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
VisualNectarPhotography
Like?
Re: I have both
In reply to Peter Kwok, Apr 19, 2012

props on keeping that D60 in service.

Yea from everything that I've read now the 10-22 USM has the same SUD element in it that the “L”s contain. In optical terms the 10-22 is close to if not equal with the L’s in Optical quality. Just not build quality. Oh well I really want that wide angle w/o shelling out 1000 for a fisheye that I’d use 5 times in a year.

Osiris30
Senior MemberPosts: 2,804
Like?

Personally to me, unless you are looking to protect your investment and looking at FF in the nearish future, the 10-22 is the only (Canon made) UWA that's really worth it on a crop body.

I have the 10-22 and while it's not an L build, the build is very nice. Everything moves as it should, the focus ring is decent enough to shoot video easily with if you're into that. The corner sharpness is okay at the extremes, but that's to be expected. CA is relatively well controlled (and cake to deal with in post). All in all it's a very good lens.

My gallery is littered with shots I've taken using it since I acquired it, have a look.

Steve

VisualNectarPhotography wrote:

So I picked up the 17-40 L yesterday and love it, like I really like the build quality of this lens, I like the weatherproofing which will keep dust and other crap out… But I’m torn.

Here’s what I like about the “L”

• Amazing build quality

• Manual focus while in AF mode

• comes with a hood and case

• absolutely killer image quality

Here’s what I don’t like about it

• it plows through a zoom range that my 18-135 can do (albeit the 135mm doesn’t share the optics)

The 10-22mm USM

• can manually focus while in AF too

• can get a stunning 108 degrees in frame

• Is not an L (even though it has almost the same optic make up)

• lacks the build quality of the L

I’m at a loss… can someone please give me the slap upside the head that I desperately need?

Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,421Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kmccarthy, Apr 20, 2012

Kmccarthy wrote:

I've always wondered why canon doesn't make EFS lenses with L build quality and weatherproofing. The 7D and XXD crop cameras have great build quality and weatherproofing so why not the EFS lenses that are optimized for them? People end up having to use the 17-40L and 24-105L, which aren't ideal for crop cameras and they are left with no L options in the super wide angle range. To make matters worse the best EFS lenses (17-55 2.8 and 10-22) cost almost as much as the full frame L counterparts, which have much higher build quality. It's just odd...

Maybe it is a marketing strategy to get people to eventually upgrade to full frame. It was certainly a factor in my upgrade decision.

I expect it's marketing. If the 10-22 and 17-55 were L build quality, I think many would stick to APS-C bodies rather than move up to full frame.

That said, I think the 7D was a bit of a surprise too. Some technology of the 1D line in an APS-C body. So I'm hoping that against all odds Canon might do something like the 7D, but then for their EF-S lenses. It's really just at the wider end where APS-C users have no high end option.

Personally, I would dearly love to see a 10-20mm EF-S f/4L, 17-55 EF-S f/2.8L. I would have no reservation about trading in my 17-55 and getting both.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
VisualNectarPhotography
Like?
In reply to Wyville, Apr 20, 2012

Well i picked up the 10-22 USM and have to admit im very impressed. The build quality is right up there with the L (minus the weather proofing) and the viewing angle that comes through in the view finder is astonishing!

I just wish that I could find a hood that would work with it rather than having to buy one from canon.

Anyway, canon definitly wants people to go full frame. However they are aware that they do have semi-pro and pro APS-C bodied cameras (xxD & XD series) I just think that having xxxD and xxxxD series cameras in our lens range (not to mention mirrorless) keep canon from developing an "L" series equivilant for us semi-pros...

Canon really doesnt really want 1100D users slapping a 17-200 f 2.8 L on their camera... in their mind it should be on a 50, 60, 7, 5, or 1 D... It would be nice if canon made a specific high end lens line only for their semi-pro and pro APS-C bodies (xxD and xD), it could be done with just a simple software block.

KariP
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,398Gear list
Like?
Build quality?
In reply to VisualNectarPhotography, Apr 20, 2012

Do you need weather proofing for something - in real life.

i have traveled with my 10-22 since 2008 - no problems. Also outdoor, seaside, mountainwalks...
http://web.me.com/karipenkkila/Minun_kuvani/Thailand.html
http://web.me.com/karipenkkila/Minun_kuvani/9_000_000_tourists.html
http://web.me.com/karipenkkila/Minun_kuvani/Rome_2010.html

10-22 and 17-40 are totally different lenses - 10-22 a real WIDE angle to super wide
--
Kari
SLR photography started in 1968, 40D since 2007, and now 7D !
60.21 N 24.86 E

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Charcurt
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?
In reply to VisualNectarPhotography, Apr 22, 2012

Hands down 10-22

That's for me.

Charcurt's gear list:Charcurt's gear list
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
neocacher
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?

I started with the 17 - 40 L and the 50mm f/1.8. Yesterday I purchased the 10 - 22mm EFS and I am looking forward to shooting some panoramas with it. I agree with another poster that they both work great on the 7D.

JoeAmateur
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Like?

Even though it's got a crippled aperture, the IS on the 15-85 is next-gen and somewhat makes up for it. Its wide range will likely enhance your concerts shooting.

My friends that own it rave about it. I've used it a few short times and found it pretty responsive and sharp. Nice lens. If my wish list weren't so long and pricey already, I'd probably add it on

-- hide signature --

-Joe

JoeAmateur's gear list:JoeAmateur's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
asad137
Contributing MemberPosts: 665
Like?
In reply to VisualNectarPhotography, Apr 23, 2012

VisualNectarPhotography wrote:

I just wish that I could find a hood that would work with it rather than having to buy one from canon.

There are lots of lens hoods available on eBay for many lenses, including the EF-S 10-22mm. They typically don't have the velvety flocking on the inside, though -- but that's fine, as the flocking is a lint magnet and quite difficult to get clean if it has fuzzy stuff stuck to it.

Charcurt
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?
In reply to VisualNectarPhotography, Apr 24, 2012

10-22 canon, awesome .

Charcurt's gear list:Charcurt's gear list
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
PedroNovak
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
In reply to Charcurt, Apr 25, 2012

I sold my 17-40 that i was using with my 7D,and bought the 15-85,and recently,the 10-22.

The 17-40 has a superb build quality and overall IQ,but on the cropped body of the 7D,it was just too limited on wide side.

The 15-85 can be a very good walkaround lens on cropped bodies,has a very nice build quality and IQ,but,for me,was still not enough on the wide side.So i bought the 10-22,and i think that this combo are almost perfect for cropped bodies.
--
"We all are made from star dust"

PedroNovak's gear list:PedroNovak's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +2 more
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,012Gear list
Like?
In reply to PedroNovak, Apr 25, 2012

If you're looking at the 17-40 "L" you should be looking at the 17-55 2.8 IS USM. You can easily do handheld shots down to 1 / 15 second and it's sharp from wide open. It makes no sense putting a 17-40 on an APS-C camera - that's a wide zoom meant for full frame cameras.

The 17-55 2.8 IS USM is probably one of the best lenses around. It isn't an "L" because all "L" lenses need to be EF (not EF-S) and they need more weather sealing which would be pointless since the body isn't.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads