No D400? It is possible now...

Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions
Derouyag
Contributing MemberPosts: 776Gear list
Like?
No D400? It is possible now...
Apr 19, 2012

The D300s was introduced in 2009 and was over due for an upgrade. Nikon now introduces the 24mp D3200 which is to replace the D3100 which was launched in 2010. I, we, all thought that sensor was destined for the D400!!!

{Flame Suit On}

This makes me wonder if the D100-D300s line will be retired. Why?

The old D70 to D90 line is pretty much toast. The D100 to D300s line comes from that same era.

The new lines being introduced are, as you already know, The D#, D### full frames, and the D#### DX line.

It would make sense for Nikon to roll out the D3200 with the 24mp sensor, then follow up with the mid-range 5200, and finally with a 7100.

Take a look at the trend here in DPReview when you select the Nikon cameras and filter out the compacts. Notice the D3000 and D5000 series. From 2012 to 2009 in order:

D3200
D800e
D800
D4
V1
J1
D5100
D7000
D3100
D3s
D3000
D300s
D5000

D400 is over due, but will it ever appear is the real question?

{Flame Suit Off}

Derouyag's gear list:Derouyag's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +3 more
Gale Bizet
Forum ProPosts: 15,255Gear list
Like?
Re: No D400? It is possible now...
In reply to Derouyag, Apr 19, 2012

I think if there will be a D400 (or what ever) will be end of year availability.

Bought the 200 the day it hit B&H Dec

D300 bought the day it hit the shelf Nov
--
Nikon Gal
Best Regards
Gale

http://www.pbase.com/techwish

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Derouyag
Like?
In reply to Gale Bizet, Apr 19, 2012

I did the pre-order for the D200 and have been waiting for the D400 ever since. If it does get released, I will then decide between the D800 or the D400.

Nikon D200 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +3 more
n057
Senior MemberPosts: 2,686Gear list
Like?

Derouyag wrote:

I did the pre-order for the D200 and have been waiting for the D400 ever since. If it does get released, I will then decide between the D800 or the D400.

D400 DX or bust

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
Kelowna
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?

Derouyag wrote:

The D300s was introduced in 2009 and was over due for an upgrade. Nikon now introduces the 24mp D3200 which is to replace the D3100 which was launched in 2010. I, we, all thought that sensor was destined for the D400!!!

Patience! There will be a version of that sensor in a DX body above the D7000 soon enough. (Well, maybe not soon enough for some...)

The available numbers for new models are running out. The name means less than the performance/features anyway. Going forward, it may make the most sense to reserve the remaining three-digit titles for FX cameras and use only four-digit titles for DX cameras.

It would make sense for Nikon to roll out the D3200 with the 24mp sensor, then follow up with the mid-range 5200, and finally with a 7100.

Following the total rebuild of its Thailand manufacturing facility, Nikon is undoubtedly most interested in bringing forth the camera models that will sell in the highest volume and bring the greatest return. D3200s will undoubtedly sell in far greater numbers than the highest level DX body (whether that is named D400 or D7200 or D8000 or whatever ...)

Nikon will certainly bring a pro-level DX body to market, probably later this year. Just as well for Nikon to work out any bugs in the new Thailand plant with a lower level body before unveiling a new DX flagship.

-- hide signature --

Desmond Murray
http://www.KelownaPhotographer.com
I shoot to thrill

Luizk
Forum MemberPosts: 92
Like?
In reply to Kelowna, Apr 19, 2012

I am thinking D800, because if you set it to it´s DX mode, it´s the best DX on the market today, and also with a bonus to be able to to use it as FX when needed.

Regards

-- hide signature --

Luiz

curiousbikerider
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
In reply to Luizk, Apr 19, 2012

Hey, can I borrow that flame suit?

I think the OP has a point. I'm hearing TAPS for the D400 (sadly)

But as you step back and think about photography in general, 99 trillion photos per second are now taken on phones (don't bother to look that up, I just made it up), so the upgrade path that was from P&S to SLR's is now camera phones to P&S. Anything with a detachable lens that's bigger than a bagel is considered a "Pro" camera by many folks. It's not til you get on this forum do you have people saying "that's not pro" because X, Y and Z

Nikon can only support so many form factors and they've got to be justified. They need a hero camera (D4 for example) to provide a halo for the brand, but beyond that, they need to look at what's buttering their bread. You can still deliver function with the smaller form of the DXXXX. Beef up stuff, add extra weather seals, a racing stripe, some extra software features and pronounce it the new king of the hill.

I hope I'm wrong, cause I'd buy a D400 in a NY minute, but I'd also salute this new king too.

Iain Harper
Contributing MemberPosts: 674Gear list
Like?
In reply to curiousbikerider, Apr 19, 2012

I think everyone on this forum is getting more and more desperate about a D300s replacement and wether or not it's going to come?

Of course it is, while Canon is working on a 7D replacement, Nikon are just biding their time to bring out a D400 (why would they call it anything else apart from D300X!) that is going to do what the D300 did when it was first introduced, it's going to up the ante, try and bring more Canon (DX) shooters to the party and buy all the wonderful Nikon lenses.

Everyone talks about how much bigger Canon (in terms of resources) are compared to Nikon. Yes they are nearly twice as big as Nikon in sales and global market but Nikon haven't nearly as many fingers in the pie as Canon. Nikon (at the moment) are basically cameras, lenses and photographic accessories.

To sum up, Nikon WILL bring out a D400 DX flagship camera when they are ready to unleash a beast. You wouldn't wan't it any other way, would you?

Iain.

Iain Harper's gear list:Iain Harper's gear list
Olympus E-1 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +6 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: No D400? Buttering Nikon's bread?
In reply to curiousbikerider, Apr 19, 2012

Yes, the D4 is probably, along with the Canon 1DIV IDs, whatever, etc the pro camera of cjhoice, but what about those who cannot AFFORD 5 grand for a body alone and want a pro build that will give great quality and be a reliable workhorse, at around 1,800, much more affordable and very good for many / most uses?

Probably counts among many photojournalists and many amateur, experienced and rank amateur like myself who want quality and want to spend the money once on something that will last and work well, but dont have 5 grand?

THAT must be a huge part of bread and butter for Nikon and Canon.

The DX Canon 7D replacement and Nikon D300 replacements are a no brainer.

Cant see it otherwise.

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......'Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.”

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
vitamins
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?

It will be announced in December 2012, it was supposed to be announced on September 2012.

emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,228Gear list
Like?
Undoubtedly there are many thousands of ......

D300(s) owners, who are now would-be D400 buyers, waiting for it to be released before laying out their hard earned cash on a new camera. If Nikon had no intention of continuing the Dxxx line, surely it would be smart for them to say so and let people get on with their personal "upgrade" path? Otherwise all those potential buyers are simply playing a waiting game which equals possible lost sales for Nikon.

And an upgrade to full-frame makes no sense for most DX lens owners. It would mean a layout of many thousands of dollars to move up to full frame capable lenses.

No, a D400 will be released this year - and it will offer as many pixels as it needs to to take it to the opposition - so expect at least 24Mp - nothing less is probable.
--
Mike M. (emem)
http://www.veritasmea.com

Island Golfer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,573
Like?
Re: Undoubtedly there are many thousands of ......
In reply to emem, Apr 19, 2012

I made this same point close to a month ago. And, here we are almost at the end of April. Nikon continues to give no hint of any D400 upgrade. Instead, they send us a 24mp Brownie Hawkeye (showing my age, now). If I have to wait until December for a new camera, and Canon has something out already..........
--
truview

dseventy
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?
I have to agree
In reply to emem, Apr 19, 2012

I still haven't seen a Nikon that I would exchange for my D300 yet.

I'm waiting, I'm not in a rush, and I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

-- hide signature --

What are you waiting for? SHOOT!! (now dthreehundred)
http://www.artwhitton.com
http://myPhotoshopSite.com

dseventy's gear list:dseventy's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +10 more
Michel F
Senior MemberPosts: 1,748
Like?
about Nikon's mutism

Maybe it's only me but I'm starting to get sick of Nikon's mutism concerning the future of their pro level DX lineup and the potential successor of the "aging" D300/D300S. Nikon's silence on the matter is only fueling these incessant speculation threads. Why can't they say outright if there is going to be a replacement for the D300 of the same pro caliber (NOT a D7000 type camera) ? Why does it have to be so hush hush. What will do they gain from saying nothing ?

I have zero interest in an FX camera at the moment since I shoot mainly wildlife. At the same time I feel that my D300 is in need of a serious overhaul in available technology and the D7000 or its direct successor will not do. I think Nikon will be announcing something great shortly but since I can't be sure, the idea of jumping ship is starting to surface. Anybody feel the same way ?

Nikon doesn't have to say exactly when and even talk about the specs in detail, just say yes or no and put an end to the endless debate !

Derouyag wrote:

{Flame Suit On}

The old D70 to D90 line is pretty much toast. The D100 to D300s line comes from that same era.

The new lines being introduced are, as you already know, The D#, D### full frames, and the D#### DX line.

Take a look at the trend here in DPReview when you select the Nikon cameras and filter out the compacts. Notice the D3000 and D5000 series. From 2012 to 2009 in order:

D3200
D800e
D800
D4
V1
J1
D5100
D7000
D3100
D3s
D3000
D300s
D5000

{Flame Suit Off}

-- hide signature --
n057
Senior MemberPosts: 2,686Gear list
Like?
Re: about Nikon's mutism
In reply to Michel F, Apr 20, 2012

Michel F wrote:

Maybe it's only me but I'm starting to get sick of Nikon's mutism concerning the future of their pro level DX lineup and the potential successor of the "aging" D300/D300S. Nikon's silence on the matter is only fueling these incessant speculation threads. Why can't they say outright if there is going to be a replacement for the D300 of the same pro caliber (NOT a D7000 type camera) ? Why does it have to be so hush hush. What will do they gain from saying nothing ?

Nikon doesn't have to say exactly when and even talk about the specs in detail, just say yes or no and put an end to the endless debate !

Maybe if enough of us fired off a note to support, they will get a hint?

Do it as a registered user, so they know you are someone who spends money with them.

Mention why you want a pro-DX body, and that neither the D7000 nor the D800 is a viable replacement or upgrade to the D300s.

I just did so.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,220Gear list
Like?
Done...
In reply to n057, Apr 20, 2012

I added that I was cancelling an order for a 600 VR and would not make the purchase until Nikon's intentions are clear, and it is clear to me that it is in my interest to continue shooting Nikon.
--
Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
Derouyag
Like?
D9000?
In reply to Derouyag, Apr 20, 2012

I have read lots of the posts so far, but no one mentioned that it might just get re-numbered.

The numbering path of the D70 to D90 is pretty much dead. The D100 to D300s might be the next to be retired. That does not leave out the possibility of a new number for the D400 replacement.

D# - Pro FX Cameras
D### - Semi-Pro FX Cameras (Or people with the money.)
D#### - Range of Point and Shoot to Semi-Pro DX

D3200 - Entry Level
D5100 - ...
D7000 - ....
D9000 - D400 replacement.

This way they will have grouped them properly. D400 maybe not, but it might be a D9000 (or the like) instead.

Only time will tell...

jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,090
Like?
In reply to Luizk, Apr 20, 2012

Luizk wrote:

I am thinking D800, because if you set it to it´s DX mode, it´s the best DX on the market today, and also with a bonus to be able to to use it as FX when needed.

It's hardly the best DX on the market today. It only does 5fps (vs. 7-8 for D300 w/grip). It has a tiny tunnel of a viewfinder when shooting in DX mode. Who would pay $3000 to shoot large field action sports with such a tiny viewfinder. It's simply not competitive for many of the things people use the D300 for today.

Yes, it can do other FX things, but your statement that it's the best DX on the market today is simply not true.
--
John
Gallery: http://jfriend.smugmug.com
Popular: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/popular
Portfolio: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/portfolio

David314
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,461
Like?
Numbering
In reply to Derouyag, Apr 20, 2012

Derouyag wrote:

I have read lots of the posts so far, but no one mentioned that it might just get re-numbered.

The numbering path of the D70 to D90 is pretty much dead. The D100 to D300s might be the next to be retired. That does not leave out the possibility of a new number for the D400 replacement.

D# - Pro FX Cameras
D### - Semi-Pro FX Cameras (Or people with the money.)
D#### - Range of Point and Shoot to Semi-Pro DX

D3200 - Entry Level
D5100 - ...
D7000 - ....
D9000 - D400 replacement.

I would think an even number, like d8000

Or d8000 could be an entry level fx camera...

ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,924
Like?
Re: Numbering
In reply to David314, Apr 20, 2012

Why not a D5 or 6 or for that matter a D600
--
ABA DABA

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads