ZS20 Pricing Outrage

Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions
Lobalobo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,679
Like?
ZS20 Pricing Outrage
Apr 19, 2012

Having just read positive threads and reviews of the ZS20 I was thinking of buying one. A day or so ago, I checked the prices on Amazon and B&H and saw it listed in each place at under $300. Went on line to buy this morning and the price had jumped to $350. That's a 20% increase, overnight. What sort of pricing policy is this? Had it been listed at $350 all along I wouldn't have minded and would have paid that amount. But now I'm so annoyed by the increase I'm going to pass. Maybe I'm unusual, but if I'm not, this strategy of jumping prices is foolish, leaving customers to feel the fool for paying the price the company actually wants for the product. Wonder what others think.

cmpman1974
Contributing MemberPosts: 686
Like?
Re: ZS20 Pricing Outrage
In reply to Lobalobo, Apr 19, 2012

It's $292 right now on Amazon. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
trevmar
Senior MemberPosts: 2,385
Like?
In reply to cmpman1974, Apr 19, 2012

Amazon sometimes reprices an item for an individual, based on previous browsing history.

Jerry045
Senior MemberPosts: 3,596Gear list
Like?
In reply to trevmar, Apr 19, 2012

That's not nice...

Makes you want to buy somewhere else.

Jerry

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 +8 more
Red2112
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?

It's annoying. Not sure if it's an outrage...definitely a first world problem!

I'd buy it from a local camera shop. Might cost a bit more, but there isn't much money in these things for them as it is.

I just picked up a ZS20 yesterday as a matter of fact...

GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,868Gear list
Like?

Meanwhile, B&H has the ZS15 at $237. Go figure!
--
Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,394
Like?

Don't buy it.

DCOhio
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?

Adorama also had it for $295 yesterday, jumped to $349 today (black model only was discounted).

I was considering purchasing one, but now will wait until it drops back down to that price again or better. My ZS3 is still doing quite well, I can wait.

Nathan Hoover
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?

Prices bounce around all the time. Why are you outraged? Be happy because by shopping around and maybe waiting a bit, you can get one for quite a bit less than the MSRP even though it's a new product - that's awesome. I bought mine for $295 last Sunday from Amazon and posted here about that great deal. It came in less than 48 hours, no tax, no shipping via Prime. The same deal was available through yesterday and now the price is up to $328. Don't worry, wait a bit and shop around.

Great camera by the way!

Merrins
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
In reply to Nathan Hoover, Apr 19, 2012

Ive been reading that its a pretty bad camera, not much better than the TZ20 model it replaced. Been looking for a really good compact recently, and was going to buy the ZS20/TZ30 but decided against it. In the process of buying an Olympus XZ-1 now. But for a superzoom compact, Id probably go with Olympus 30MR or the new 31MR iHS being released this month I think...much much better reviews, and its a superzoom. Maybe check it out.

A

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,394
Like?
In reply to Merrins, Apr 19, 2012

"I've been reading that its a pretty bad camera" LOL

glanglois
Contributing MemberPosts: 987
Like?
Re: ZS20 Review Outrage

You must be reading articles I don't - perhaps published in Gaeilge, a language well beyond my ken.

Every post and article I've seen notes the TZ-30 as significantly better than the TZ-20 in speed of focus, speed of shooting/burst, image quality, button placement, etc. There are complaints from those who wanted the kit to contain an external charger to use in place of the internal charger but many of us have an earlier TZ series and can use those batteries and chargers.

If you have a source for "pretty bad", I'd be interested to see it.

Merrins wrote:

Ive been reading that its a pretty bad camera, not much better than the TZ20 model it replaced. Been looking for a really good compact recently, and was going to buy the ZS20/TZ30 but decided against it. In the process of buying an Olympus XZ-1 now. But for a superzoom compact, Id probably go with Olympus 30MR or the new 31MR iHS being released this month I think...much much better reviews, and its a superzoom. Maybe check it out.

A

Nanty Coy
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
In reply to cmpman1974, Apr 19, 2012

cmpman1974 wrote:

It's $292 right now on Amazon. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

You're lucky, Amazon UK price $480 (£300).

Nanty Coy's gear list:Nanty Coy's gear list
Sony SLT-A65
Lobalobo
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, Apr 19, 2012

Wow! What a useful comment. Thanks.

toomanycanons wrote:

Don't buy it.

Lobalobo
Like?
In reply to Nathan Hoover, Apr 19, 2012

Thanks. I'm not worried, and as another poster noted, there are certainly worse problems in the world. My post was more or less out of curiosity about whether manufacturers realize that their pricing strategies (and I take it that manufacturers dictate to the retailers) may have unintended consequences, such as losing buyers who are annoyed at having missed a good deal.

Nathan Hoover wrote:

Prices bounce around all the time. Why are you outraged? Be happy because by shopping around and maybe waiting a bit, you can get one for quite a bit less than the MSRP even though it's a new product - that's awesome. I bought mine for $295 last Sunday from Amazon and posted here about that great deal. It came in less than 48 hours, no tax, no shipping via Prime. The same deal was available through yesterday and now the price is up to $328. Don't worry, wait a bit and shop around.

Great camera by the way!

Lobalobo
Like?

Thanks, but not really on point.

Merrins wrote:

A

Lobalobo
Like?
Re: ZS20 Review Outrage
In reply to glanglois, Apr 19, 2012

glanglois wrote:

If you have a source for "pretty bad", I'd be interested to see it.

Hope not in this thread, though.

glanglois
Contributing MemberPosts: 987
Like?
In reply to Lobalobo, Apr 20, 2012

Manufacturers may be wrong but they're neither ignorant nor stupid.

I know that many here are very upset at good deals that go away. But I suspect that they'll be back in line to buy when another deal, perhaps not as good. comes along.

But then I, too, am often wrong .....

Lobalobo wrote:

Thanks. I'm not worried, and as another poster noted, there are certainly worse problems in the world. My post was more or less out of curiosity about whether manufacturers realize that their pricing strategies (and I take it that manufacturers dictate to the retailers) may have unintended consequences, such as losing buyers who are annoyed at having missed a good deal.

Nathan Hoover wrote:

Great camera by the way!

FJG3
Contributing MemberPosts: 681Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lobalobo, Apr 20, 2012

The black model is $295 and the silver is $350.

FJG3's gear list:FJG3's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX7 Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Canon PowerShot G15 +6 more
Lobalobo
Like?
In reply to FJG3, Apr 20, 2012

Yeah? Where?

FJG3 wrote:

The black model is $295 and the silver is $350.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads