Lens suitible for Real Estate interiors

Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions
Sepia68
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Lens suitible for Real Estate interiors
Apr 19, 2012

I have a Nikon d5000 & a Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 wide angle lens. I'm doing some real estate photography for a friend & need a wider lens.

I think the Nikon 10-24mm f3.5 lens will be the right kit but am not sure.

What are your thoughts?

Nikon D5000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ryder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,195
Like?
Re: Lens suitible for Real Estate interiors
In reply to Sepia68, Apr 19, 2012

The 10-24 would be great and probably the best choice.
I use the Tokina 12-24 and seldom shoot at the wide end.
Tokina also has a 11-16 2.8
Sigma has a 10-20.
All good lenses.

Do a search here for discussion on the subject:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/photographyforrealestate/
--
--
Craig Ryder

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Skroob
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?

If you don't want to spend much, grab an older Sigma 12-24. I used it a lot to do RE photography. Yes, it sucks wide open and its slow to focus, but for RE where you have time and a tripod, you can get great, great images at f8-11.

The reason that i loved the Sigma for this use was because it had just about zero distortion, which for RE/Architecture, is important.

Skroob's gear list:Skroob's gear list
Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF
Chas P
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?
 Chas P's gear list:Chas P's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +2 more
pocketfulladoubles
Senior MemberPosts: 1,986
Like?
In reply to Chas P, Apr 29, 2012

So, for interior shots I use two lenses - one for 90% of the shots and one for the other 10%. I almost always use the 24G on a D90 and stitch. Why? Because rooms look more natural a lot of the time. Stitching with lots of straight lines (i.e., plank floor/ceiling) poses a different type of abnormality which you'll also notice.

I use the Sigma 10-20 f/4 once in a while - usually if the homeowner needs me out of there quickly or if there's not enough space to get a tripod and the pano head in there. I'll go as wide as 16mm, but anything more just looks stupid IMHO.

If you find yourself needing to go much wider than 14-16mm rethink the composition. You don't always need to shoot wall to wall.

My advice? Well ideally, shoot full frame and get the 24mm PC-E. That will allow you to stitch true rectilinear for the best possible looking photos. I already had the 24G or else I sure wish I had the 24PC-E instead since I've been shooting more interiors than landscapes lately. If you just need to do this a couple times as a fill in for someone else, then the Sigma 10-20 f/4 (the "older" version of this lens) is the best for the money.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads