nikonboi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,281Gear list
Like?
Luminous Landscape's comparison between D800 and D800E
Apr 18, 2012
 nikonboi's gear list:nikonboi's gear list
Nikon D800E
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
Waiting for photos of power lines
In reply to nikonboi, Apr 19, 2012

A comparison of photos of power lines between the D800 and D800E is what I'm waiting for. Thank you for the forward.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,547Gear list
Like?
Thank you for the link. (n/t)
-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Ayrshirephotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 360
Like?
Re: Waiting for photos of power lines
In reply to reginalddwight, Apr 19, 2012

You have to basically strain to see the difference, it's there and it's not huge, even less so in prints which is where it matters. And no one is gonna notice. Can you imagine a client:

"Hmm, I can tell you didn't us the E version on this shot!"

Or not!
--
"I come to this forum because it sucks less than the others."

nikonboi
Like?
Actually the difference seems very clear to me.
In reply to Ayrshirephotographer, Apr 19, 2012

I can see a clear difference between the two images. But in any event, the D800 too has great resolution and sharpness - so you can't lose with either.

Cheers,
-------
Nikhil
http://www.lihkin.net

Nikon D800E
uphillslide
Regular MemberPosts: 290
Like?
Re: Actually the difference seems very clear to me.

I've been looking forward to LLs review since Feb 7. The differences are apparent and dramatic enough at 100%. Prints? Probably the bigger the more noticeable. I'm pleased I chose the way I did.

The camera is worth the additional 300 for me and any moire issues. The wait.... uggg. Perhaps less so.

reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
In reply to uphillslide, Apr 19, 2012

The difference in IQ is present to me as well at 100% crop. Whether the difference is meaningful enough, when weighing the possibility of moiré and false color, is purely a personal decision. The wonderful news is that we have choices and that usually is a good thing.

sfnikon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,940Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ayrshirephotographer, Apr 19, 2012

Ayrshirephotographer wrote:

You have to basically strain to see the difference, it's there and it's not huge, even less so in prints which is where it matters. And no one is gonna notice. Can you imagine a client:

"Hmm, I can tell you didn't us the E version on this shot!"

Or not!
--
"I come to this forum because it sucks less than the others."

99% of wedding clients really won't care whether you shot with D700 or D800. However I'm my only client (and a pixelpeeper a photographer's worst nightmare!) and I see a big difference in these D800E comp shots. It looks like I'll do little or no sharpening on the D800E files and for me that's a big one.

-- hide signature --

Jake

nikonboi
Like?
In reply to sfnikon, Apr 19, 2012

Yeah Jake, I too will be very happy with the D800E as it will require little to no sharpening. The difference to me atleast is very obvious. It will be a great camera for my landscapes.

Cheers
-------
Nikhil
http://www.lihkin.net

Nikon D800E
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,199
Like?
In reply to reginalddwight, Apr 19, 2012

reginalddwight wrote:

The wonderful news is that we have choices and that usually is a good thing.

I'm coming to the conclusion that our choice is limited. Yes, I see the resolution difference, and I'm glad I preordered the D800E, but I think the difference is small. On the other side, images from Japan show that where there is moiré in the D800E, there will be moiré in the D800. The D800 tones the moiré down a little, but if we evaluating software to reduce moiré, the D800E image was the before and the D800 was the after, we would give it a fail.

BTW, the purpose of power lines is to justify the Spot Healing Brush Tool in Photoshop. Power lines are meant to be removed.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

4x5 Guy
Contributing MemberPosts: 917
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 19, 2012

Robin Casady wrote:

I'm coming to the conclusion that our choice is limited.

I don't understand this statement.

Yes, I see the resolution difference, and I'm glad I preordered the D800E, but I think the difference is small.

I think there will be a significant difference.

After the last few days shooting in Yosemite with the D800, I think the D800 is very sharp. But I also see some shortcomings that I think are due to the AA filter. I've now ordered the 800E and will sell my 800.

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 7,993Gear list
Like?
Re: Luminous Landscape's comparison between D800 and D800E

Waiting impatiently for my D800e!

Marianne Oelund
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,314Gear list
Like?
Caution: AA Filter may not be the Only Difference

nikonboi wrote:

Interesting read. The D800E is pretty impressive.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/nikon_d800_d800e_first_comparison.shtml

To my eyes, the difference is very obvious - too obvious.

1. I see places in the D800 images where there is more blurring than an AA filter can produce.

2. There are signs of atmospheric shimmer in the D800 example, which do not appear in the D800E example.

3. By the distance that some shadows have moved, considerable time lapsed between taking the D800E and D800 images - quite possibly enough time for temperature/wind changes.

Please keep these factors in mind when comparing the samples.

PhotoTechBlog
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
Re: Caution: AA Filter may not be the Only Difference
In reply to Marianne Oelund, Apr 19, 2012

The E looks sharper to my eyes, but when looking at the full size images I see problems. Look at the color inside the yellow fencing on each floor, especially towards the bottom of the image. The E looks red, the standard 800 looks black. False color? Scaling issue in the browser? I wish we had the full size images to compare.

CaryTheLabelGuy
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
Re: Caution: AA Filter may not be the Only Difference

Marianne Oelund wrote:

nikonboi wrote:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/nikon_d800_d800e_first_comparison.shtml

1. I see places in the D800 images where there is more blurring than an AA filter can produce.

2. There are signs of atmospheric shimmer in the D800 example, which do not appear in the D800E example.

3. By the distance that some shadows have moved, considerable time lapsed between taking the D800E and D800 images - quite possibly enough time for temperature/wind changes.

I totally agree. I've studied MANY D800 vs. D800E shots and I've never seen this much difference between the two. It almost looks like a slight miss-focus as well.

I will have my own comparison in a more controlled environment soon. Keep an eye on [NR]

CaryTheLabelGuy's gear list:CaryTheLabelGuy's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
Robin Casady
Like?
In reply to 4x5 Guy, Apr 19, 2012

4x5 Guy wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

I'm coming to the conclusion that our choice is limited.

I don't understand this statement.

To use a car analogy, let's say you have a choice between a Ferrari 458 Spider with red lettering on the gages, or a Ferrari 458 Spider with orange lettering on the gages. That is what I mean by a limited choice.

Yes, I see the resolution difference, and I'm glad I preordered the D800E, but I think the difference is small.

I think there will be a significant difference.

I hope that is true. I'd like for there to be a significant difference.

After the last few days shooting in Yosemite with the D800, I think the D800 is very sharp. But I also see some shortcomings that I think are due to the AA filter. I've now ordered the 800E and will sell my 800.

Before you sell the D800, I hope you will post some side-by-side comparisons that are more carefully done than what has been available so far.
--
Robin Casady

pyzon
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?

based on an initial read if I didn't have to wait 6 months i'ld probably change my order to an E. I value LuLu's experience and analysis.

not that it makes much odds but aren't shutter speeds different?

maljo@inreach.com
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,564
Like?
Confirms my predjudices...

...I pre-ordered the 800E.

Thanks for the link,

maljo

Robin Casady
Like?
In reply to pyzon, Apr 19, 2012

pyzon wrote:

based on an initial read if I didn't have to wait 6 months i'ld probably change my order to an E. I value LuLu's experience and analysis.

I would take this comment to heart, "Let me start by saying that this comparison is in no way intended to be definitive, either for me, or for my readers."

not that it makes much odds but aren't shutter speeds different?

Doesn't it? Seems like an indicator that things have changed between shots. That makes it difficult to accurately compare subtle characteristics of image quality.

The first thing that jumped out at me in the first two 100% samples is the difference between the reds on the crane brace.
--
Robin Casady

dylanear
Senior MemberPosts: 2,341Gear list
Like?
Agree! Re: Caution: AA Filter may not be the Only Difference

Had similar thoughts. I was thinking focus or more camera shake.

I'm still very intrigued by the D800E, but I'm still on the fence. Need to see many, many images shot accurately A to B to decide I think.

Marianne Oelund wrote:

nikonboi wrote:

dylanear's gear list:dylanear's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800E Olympus PEN E-P5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads