Tokina 11-16: how to control aperture?

Started Apr 18, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
jazzroy1972 Regular Member • Posts: 172
Tokina 11-16: how to control aperture?

Hi,
many people love and use the Tokina 11-16, but how do they control the aperture?
do they all have the 300$ metabones adapter?

wll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,821
Re: Tokina 11-16: how to control aperture?

jazzroy1972 wrote:

Hi,
many people love and use the Tokina 11-16, but how do they control the aperture?
do they all have the 300$ metabones adapter?

You need an adapter that can manually change aperture. My Pentax glass uses a adapter that has a DA designation so all manual and non manual lenses can be used.

If your lens is electronically aperture controlled, than that is a different story, and I don't think it can be done unless you are using Canon lenses and a Metabones adapter.

wll

electronbee Contributing Member • Posts: 668
Two things...

1) What mount?

2) Once that is determined, a search function will pull up your answer. As, believe it or not, this is not a unique question and has been discussed in great length, numerous times.

-- hide signature --

Arthur Dent hoped and prayed there wasn't an afterlife. Then, realizing the contradiction, he merely hoped there wasn't an afterlife.

• Douglas Adams, In Literature/Douglas Adams

electronbee's gear list:electronbee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
DouglasG
DouglasG Regular Member • Posts: 269

Buy a used Sony LA-EA1 ($100) or if you have enough money the LA-EA2 ($300) and use the Tokina 11-16mm for sony/minolta.
--
Sony Nex FS100 | Sony Alpha 65 | Sony Nex 5n
MacPro 8-Core | Led Cinema 24" | 4TB | 14GB
Maya 2012 | Creative suite CS5.5 | ZBrush4r2

DouglasG's gear list:DouglasG's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
TTdL New Member • Posts: 2

I have a very reasonably-priced Fotodiox adapter (~$60 from Amazon) that I use to control my Nikon G lenses. There is no indexing for "standard" aperture sizes, but not even the $300+ ones have that!

TTdL's gear list:TTdL's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm X-Pro1
Ryan_Valiente Regular Member • Posts: 130

Using this aswell, works well but it's pretty hard to guess which aperture are you on (except for max and min aperture)

Ryan_Valiente's gear list:Ryan_Valiente's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Nikon D300 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000
swoop22 New Member • Posts: 6

I have this same issue (as well as another significant one in which no one seems to have a response 😉 http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56507436)

I have this lens on a Sony LA-EA2 and an a5100 and wish I could control the aperture (or at least the function in fully auto mode where you can focus/defocus the background)...

Anyone?

Thank you.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads