Lightroom 4 auto-lateral-color-correct leads to lens re-tests

Started Apr 18, 2012 | Discussions
RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,194
Like?
Lightroom 4 auto-lateral-color-correct leads to lens re-tests
Apr 18, 2012

It's so easy to call for the new "automatic" correction of lateral chromatic aberration, in raw image files processed with the latest $150 dollar Adobe Lightroom 4. With LR4, all kinds of old lenses that had previously dismissed as annoying are looking nicer, especially in the extreme corners. For example with Raw Therapee and JPEGs, my old Hexanon 40mm F/1.8 lens had plenty of lateral color fringing. But not now with LR4.

Especially impressive now is the performance of the Canon nFD 50/1.4, even wide open. This top sample shows (at 100% magnification) top-most strip from '50mm image, taken wide open. The image has been brightened and sharpened and contrast-increased in post-processing. At the left edge of the sample are pixels from the extreme upper left corner of the sensor.

The middle sample is of the extreme upper left corner from the same lens at F8, with the same post-processing except there was no need for a contrast increase.

The bottom sample is from a somewhat less mighty Konica Hexanon 40mm F/1.4 lens, at F/2.8.

To my eye the corner resolution of the Canon wide open at F/1.4 is amazing, albeit with a bit of a helping hand from me. The resolution is actually within earshot of the shown-in-the-middle-strip peak corner resolution of the Canon lens at F8. Have just never seen wide open F/1.4 corner performance like this before, with say all my Pentax or Hexanon lenses (that are F/1.7 or F/1.8).

The bottom strip, showing corner resolution of the Hexanon lens, is nowhere near the peak F/8 or even F1/.4 corner resolution of the Canon lens. Even though have given the Hexanon lens a huge boost compared to the Canon '1.4 test, by stopping the Hexanon down 2 clicks to F/2.8.

Though it's not as sharp as the Canon, the obvious lateral color fringing that the Hexanon suffered when tested last year with Raw Therapee defaults is completely gone with LR4. Likewise with the noticeable lateral color at large apertures that I used to see with the Canon 50/1.4.

So LR4 has "caused me" to go back and redo or at least reprocess several lens tests, to see how all my different lenses compare, with none of them now showing lateral color fringing worth talking about.

And am going to do some available light experiments with the ol' nFD 50 at F/1.4. Being sure to either underexpose the images somewhat, or avoid bright edges in the frame, to sidestep the wide-open lens' susceptibility to highlight purple fringing.

wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?
Re: Lightroom 4 auto-lateral-color-correct leads to lens re-tests
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, Apr 18, 2012

looks like the Canon really out performs the Hexanon by far !

wll

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
exm3racer
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, Apr 18, 2012

Is there a way to fix CA other than just clicking the yes/no button?

I have some shots from a car race shot in bright light with a EF 75-300 ( I belive i shot it at 300mm f6.3-f8) with BAD CA in black/white edges that I'd like to get rid of.

I have not heard of RAW therapee, does it do better or worse than LR4?

El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,983Gear list
Like?
In reply to exm3racer, Apr 18, 2012

exm3racer wrote:

Is there a way to fix CA other than just clicking the yes/no button?

I just slide the purple slider most of the way down. That helps a lot (no, seriously).

http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
fermy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,167
Like?
In reply to wll, Apr 18, 2012

wll wrote:

Yes it does. I was quite disappointed with my Hexanon 40/1.8 as many people claimed that it was one of the sharpest lenses ever. I think many such claims stem from the fact that good pancakes were pretty rare and people didn't have such a large basis of comparison as we have nowadays.

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,551Gear list
Like?
In reply to fermy, Apr 18, 2012

fermy wrote:

wll wrote:

Yes it does. I was quite disappointed with my Hexanon 40/1.8 as many people claimed that it was one of the sharpest lenses ever. I think many such claims stem from the fact that good pancakes were pretty rare and people didn't have such a large basis of comparison as we have nowadays.

I have been confused by those statements as well. I tested it on my blog as well and it wasn't very good. It sharpens up well enough when you stop down, but other lenses are better. I do like the focal length of the Hexanon though.
http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?p=1902

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
RussellInCincinnati
Like?
link me to your raw file and will show you some ways
In reply to exm3racer, Apr 19, 2012

exm3racer: Is there a way to fix CA other than just clicking the yes/no button?

I have some shots from a car race shot in bright light with a EF 75-300 ( I belive i shot it at 300mm f6.3-f8) with BAD CA in black/white edges that I'd like to get rid of.
I have not heard of RAW therapee, does it do better or worse than LR4?

Can you figure out a way to post your raw file somewhere? Say, in a free Dropbox? And send me/us a link? We'll show you some ways to fix lateral color. It would only take me about 60 seconds to look at one of your files.

Also, Raw Therapee is so different from Lightroom 4 that would hesitate to use a simple word like "better" or "worse" when comparing the 2 programs. Both programs have auto-lateral-color-correction. Haven't done anything with Raw Thereapee's auto-correction (though have had success with its manual correction, so much so that never got around to trying auto-correction). Raw Therapee is free, LR4 costs $150 dollars, there's one definite difference among about a million.

Of course there a couple of bad color errors around white edges that can't be easily corrected in post-processing. Well one can at least make the fringes more neutral-colored. Anyway, examples of real hard to correct color errors are axial or longitudinal chromatic aberation, and also "purple fringing" caused perhaps by out-of-focus or different-sized infrared images intruding their way into the visible light scene that you were hoping your lens was confining itself to.

Anyway, send a raw file link and it will only take a minute to see what kind of color fringing you are getting, and suggest a solution if any.

Having seen the with-LR4 wide open F/1.4 performance of the nFD '50 am using it a bit more often. But then, my last use of autofocus and/or stabilization was in 2010, about the last time I took a non-flash picture without a tripod. Here's the Canon 50 in the field at F/2.8.

exm3racer
Like?
Re: link me to your raw file and will show you some ways
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, Apr 19, 2012

Thanks, I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to upload the files. I'm hoping they are raw, not JPG since I was shooting fast FPS..

I will also try the purple filtering trick as well.

Thanks!

RussellInCincinnati
Like?
LR4 also eliminates moire from any file, not just raw

Pleased to see that LR4's moire (false color rainbow patterns, false color sparkles in areas of sharp and tiny detail) removal tools works maybe about as well on "developed" images, .TIFs, .JPEGs, as it does on raw images. The just about perfectly sharp (but not multicoated for flare resistance, note to self) 28mm lens used for this photo at F9 has, on close inspection, visible texture in the dark green pants of the person on the right. On the protruding knee and other parts of the dark green clothing, there was distracting moire/rainbow patterns that Lightroom 4 schmoozed over with about 30 seconds of work.

Well guess it's silly not to show the "before" image

Am now seeing LR4 as a tool that is useful in addition to your other image manipulation programs, both for a few editing things it makes so easy, and for helping to store and organize a million images. However have not the slightest doubt that there are free programs that do the same thing, such as RawTherapee, Gimp, Picasa. Feel more confident in talking up the software now that it's down to $150 dollars, sort of within reach of anyone who can manage to buy a Nex.

El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,983Gear list
Like?
Re: LR4 also eliminates moire from any file, not just raw

RussellInCincinnati wrote:

Feel more confident in talking up the software now that it's down to $150 dollars, sort of within reach of anyone who can manage to buy a Nex.

At the student discount, it's an even better deal.

http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
exm3racer
Like?
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, Apr 20, 2012

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11743212/DSC04499.ARW

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11743212/DSC04303.ARW

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11743212/DSC04450.ARW

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11743212/DSC04453.ARW

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11743212/DSC04467.ARW

Awful pictures, but had to pick the ones with the worst CA.

I did notice that if motion blur or OOF, the purple fringing was worse.

A few pictures, desaturating purple worked pretty well, but not all the time when there must have been some purple in the shot obviously.

Thanks!

Tommygun45
Senior MemberPosts: 1,067Gear list
Like?
In reply to exm3racer, Apr 20, 2012

Is there any need to pick the lens profile for the 50mm 1.4? And if so how do you do it? I could only find EF lenses in the Canon lens correction settings. I had some CA in an image and couldn't figure out to correct it. Even by checking that box it didn't seem to do anything unless I selected a lens.

Tommygun45's gear list:Tommygun45's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
RussellInCincinnati
Like?
no lateral chromatic aberration worth mentioning
In reply to exm3racer, Apr 20, 2012

exm3racer: Is there a way to fix CA other than just clicking the yes/no button? I have some shots from a car race shot in bright light with a EF 75-300 ( I belive i shot it at 300mm f6.3-f8) with BAD CA in black/white edges that I'd like to get rid of.

Exm3, took one of your photos and ran it through Lightroom 4, with auto-correction of chromatic aberration set to "on". Then resized the photo to 50%, then sharpened it, and posted above.

In the above sample, am not seeing any lateral chromatic aberration worth noting. Do see large amounts of "bokeh fringing", i.e. color casts in out-of-focus areas. Also saw some highlight "purple fringing" on the edges of extremely light areas, but in the final result image the highlight fringing is pretty much invisible.

Both these color errors are quite commonly seen with many a lens at their widest apertures.

So has Lightroom 4 "fixed" the problem?

RussellInCincinnati
Like?
LR4 does not need a lens profile to do CA correction
In reply to Tommygun45, Apr 20, 2012

TommyGun: Is there any need to pick the lens profile for the 50mm 1.4? And if so how do you do it? I could only find EF lenses in the Canon lens correction settings. I had some CA in an image and couldn't figure out to correct it. Even by checking that box it didn't seem to do anything unless I selected a lens.

Nope, no need for a custom lens profile. You just check the box in Lightroom 4 develop module that says "Remove Chromatic Aberration", and you're off.

exm3racer
Like?
Re: no lateral chromatic aberration worth mentioning

Thanks for looking at it.

I guess after taking a second look, perhaps the purple was due more to OOF or motion blur of black/white interface areas.

I think desaturate purple, resize and then sharpen may be enough to help..

FYI I purposely shot the lens 1-2 stops higher than wide open because it's soft at 5.6/300mm. which was a challenge even in super bright light.

Thanks!

cxsparc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,426
Like?
Re: LR4 does not need a lens profile to do CA correction

But if you're looking for a lens profile for the 50/1.4, there is one on my blog site.
More helpful for e.g. vignetting & distortion.

RussellInCincinnati
Like?
thanks for sharing a Canon nFD 50/1.4 Lightroom profile
In reply to cxsparc, Apr 20, 2012

Will check it out. Have you noticed any loss in sharpness from using a distortion correction in LR4? In Picture Window Pro things seem to smudge ever so slightly when correcting distortion.

BozillaNZ
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, Jun 20, 2012

RawTherapee can do auto Lateral CA correction too, I think you were looking at the wrong tab. It is under the "RAW" Tab.

Open "RAW" tab, expand "Chromatic Aberration", Tick "Auto correction" box and see the result in 100% view. The Auto CA in RawTherapee is very effective too. The result image will be sharper due to R/G/B images being refocused together.

BozillaNZ's gear list:BozillaNZ's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
RussellInCincinnati
Like?
my last check of auto-correct was with rawTherapee 3.5
In reply to BozillaNZ, Jun 20, 2012

Didn't lose track of the setting, in fact tried RawTherapee 3.5 auto lateral color correction, it was not impressive. Compared to Lightroom 4.1 So you are saying that it works well in RawTherapee version 4? That sounds good, will check it out at some point.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads