Black Rapid clones...

Started Apr 18, 2012 | Discussions
rrwilliams64
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Black Rapid clones...
Apr 18, 2012

Popping up aplenty are seemingly identical copies of the various Black Rapid straps (namely the RS-4 and RS-5).

Odd, as BR, very protective, had a patent issue with Luma a while back which prompted the advent of the Luma Cinch. But my point being....anyone have any experience with any of these (Quick Rapid, Caden, etc?..they are a fraction of the price.) Part of me is already agreeing with the anticipated reponses "I wouldnt trust my gear hanging from a $15 strap". BUT...price isnt always indicative of quality or dependability.... e.g. Domke Grippers and Op/Tech can be had for circa $20, just curious if the market has caught up w/ BR and their perhaps overpriced product(s) have a legit market alternative. I'm seeing BR clones for around $15-$20, havent seen any posts on various sites re: the same. Anybody have any first hand experience?

...check eBay for Quick Rapid to see my point

rrwilliams64's gear list:rrwilliams64's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,385
Like?
Re: Black Rapid clones...
In reply to rrwilliams64, Apr 19, 2012

Chances are those clones are made at same exact factory as the real BlackRapid stuff, and usually sold on sites like Ebay directly from China, out of BR's legal reach. I actually ordered from one of them a delay/interval/long exposure remote for my camera, which is indistinguishable from the $60 unit at B&H, and cost me only $25. It took about 2 weeks to arrive.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bobby1781
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?
In reply to scorrpio, Apr 19, 2012

you can make one yourself for $8 or from spare parts, so mass producing them and selling them at $15-20 doesn't sound strange.

Advertising and marketing get added into the product too, even though they do not ad a single advantage to the product.

It's just like monoprice and their straight from china products. A lot of times its the same product on store shelves, without the brand name printed on them and 1/10 the cost.

In the end...its nylon and steel... not fluorite glass

Strappy
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to rrwilliams64, Apr 20, 2012

Glad you brought this up to be honest. Been looking at a few BR straps myself wondering if they're genuine or not!

Thanks for the heads up!

-- hide signature --

Earning and learning

rrwilliams64
Like?
In reply to Strappy, Apr 21, 2012

took the plunge, dropped a $12 investment....;-D sure LOOKS identical, I do believe BR is making a $hitload....plus the Luma Cinch was $70, still a hefty amount. My Domke Gripper strap suffices, but was looking for a over the shoulder, tripod attached swing to shoot setups. Will letya know, seller on eBay was cheery_wang, the strap I ordered was "New Quick Rapid Camera Sling Strap". I also get a 1/4 connector adaptor also ($4-5 on eBay)

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
rrwilliams64
Like?
In reply to rrwilliams64, Apr 23, 2012

UPDATE- Black Rapid was very diligent here in copyright/patent protection, as eBay shut down the listing. Seller has contacted me to assure item has been shipped irrespective. We'll see....I may have slipped under the wire and gotten basically same product for $12.....

Dickymint1964
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrwilliams64, Apr 26, 2012

And that why there are so many Americans, and Europeans out of work...because you want to save a few dollars !

Thats why the world is flooded with lower quality rubbish and manufacturing has all but gone from the west.

Sorry for the rant, but I will buy British or American if I can, even if it costs more.

The tragedy is that most of what I buy comes from The rip off country of China, and I don't have a choice....

Shame

Dickymint1964's gear list:Dickymint1964's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +1 more
Black Dot Bob
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
In reply to rrwilliams64, Apr 27, 2012

This is my preference for Black Rapid Strap................

rrwilliams64
Like?
In reply to Black Dot Bob, May 3, 2012

touche

rrwilliams64
Like?
In reply to Dickymint1964, May 3, 2012

sigh......do your homework and research how BR was given a patent for a technology shown to be years in the market. So they can make a 400% profit? they're based out of Seattle,..uuhhhhhh... look at their product backflow and design components and see where they're ordering their raw material from. Think its the "US or the UK"? ....definitely not. wake up to the global economy, take off the rose colored glasses. While you're at it, where are your camera and gear manufactured? China. Japan. Thailand.

Please....everyone's entitled to their .02 and opinion, but your position is weak and difficult to defend.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads