E-M5 locks up with Panasonic Lenses

Started Apr 18, 2012 | Discussions
bgalb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,248Gear list
Like?
E-M5 locks up with Panasonic Lenses
Apr 18, 2012

I have seen two or three reports of the E-M5 repeatedly hanging up and needing to be restarted with Panasonic lens attached (can't locate the reports with search).

My E-M5 arrives Friday and I would like to see comments on this thread from anyone who gets hangups or lockups with Panasonic lenses installed. I have the panny 14-140, 100-300, and 25mm lenses as well as the oly 9-18 and will report on this thread If I have any problems with the panny lenses. Thanks in advance for any reports.

bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
cmorse
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M5 locks up with Panasonic Lenses
In reply to bgalb, Apr 18, 2012

If I recall correctly all the reports of that problem were related to it not coming back on after being in sleep mode until the battery was removed. Should be a very easy thing to test.

cmorse's gear list:cmorse's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,639
Like?

bgalb wrote:

I have seen two or three reports of the E-M5 repeatedly hanging up and needing to be restarted with Panasonic lens attached (can't locate the reports with search).

When the Sony A77 was new it had the same problem sometimes, but it happened with Sony lenses. Unfortunately, in the early days it bricked the camera and people had to return it to Sony to unbrick it since even removing the battery wouldn't do it. Later it was discovered that an undocumented magical combination of button presses while turning the camera on would reset it. Sony later came out with a firmware update so I haven't seen reports recently of this problem.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Nonyazz
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?

I have the 25 and 45-200, and neither have locked up so far.

Nonyazz's gear list:Nonyazz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Foniks
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
In reply to bgalb, May 7, 2012

Yes, I am getting this with my 20mm on the E-M5. Locks up whenever it goes to sleep.

Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,182Gear list
Like?
Mine does not lock up with the 20mm f/1.7.
In reply to Foniks, May 7, 2012

I'm running firmware 1.1 if that matters.
No lockup after the camera goes to sleep.

Foniks wrote:

Yes, I am getting this with my 20mm on the E-M5. Locks up whenever it goes to sleep.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/ .

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
digifan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,167
Like?
Re: No lock up with the 25mm f/1.4.....
In reply to Paul De Bra, May 7, 2012

...14mm F2.5 or 14-45mm F3.5-F5.6.
Tested sleep mode on them, my OMD is silver.
All working perfectly fine!
--
Digifan

Jonathan Robson
Contributing MemberPosts: 843Gear list
Like?
Mine locks up with the 20mm (am using FW 1.1)

Has happened on several occasions so far, thats the only lens it happens on. The fix is to reinsert the battery. It only happens if the camera goes to sleep.

-- hide signature --

'When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown in
to the sea.' - Eric Cantona

http://jrobfoto.com

Jonathan Robson's gear list:Jonathan Robson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +17 more
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: Mine locks up with the 20mm (am using FW 1.1)
In reply to Jonathan Robson, May 7, 2012

Fine here with the 20mm, FW on the camera 1.0 (I hate Oly's updater), 20mm never updated either.

Jonathan Robson wrote:

Has happened on several occasions so far, thats the only lens it happens on. The fix is to reinsert the battery. It only happens if the camera goes to sleep.

-- hide signature --

'When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown in

Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,735Gear list
Like?
Seems like a variable issue - maybe down to connections?

I've read the same reports. My only Pany lenses these days are the 14mm and 25mm. Neither of them lock up with my EM5 - they both work perfectly. I've had other Pany lenses in the past and never had any compatibility problems with the EP2, EP3, or EPL3 that I've owned at various times. Or a G3 I got to use for a couple of days, for that matter.

I wouldn't be surprised it its something to do with the connections between the lenses and body, maybe having something to do with the weather sealing???? I don't know - just guessing. But I don't think its a fundamental engineering incompatibility or the problem would be more widespread, probably universal. And it clearly isn't.

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

Louis_Dobson
Like?
Re: Seems like a variable issue - maybe down to connections?
In reply to Ray Sachs, May 7, 2012

I wonder if that 20 was silently revised by Panny.

Mind grinds slowly into focus, and others claim it is fine. I don't see how anyone could say mine is fine, it takes at least half a second to get there.

On which basis, maybe there is an incompatibility with the silently revised later lenses? Maybe they didn't tell Oly either?

Ray Sachs wrote:

I've read the same reports. My only Pany lenses these days are the 14mm and 25mm. Neither of them lock up with my EM5 - they both work perfectly. I've had other Pany lenses in the past and never had any compatibility problems with the EP2, EP3, or EPL3 that I've owned at various times. Or a G3 I got to use for a couple of days, for that matter.

I wouldn't be surprised it its something to do with the connections between the lenses and body, maybe having something to do with the weather sealing???? I don't know - just guessing. But I don't think its a fundamental engineering incompatibility or the problem would be more widespread, probably universal. And it clearly isn't.

-Ray

Jonathan Robson
Contributing MemberPosts: 843Gear list
Like?
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 7, 2012

That's what I was thinking. Mine is a couple of years old now
--

Jonathan Robson's gear list:Jonathan Robson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +17 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,475Gear list
Like?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41394698
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,735Gear list
Like?

Louis_Dobson wrote:

I wonder if that 20 was silently revised by Panny.

Mind grinds slowly into focus, and others claim it is fine. I don't see how anyone could say mine is fine, it takes at least half a second to get there.

On which basis, maybe there is an incompatibility with the silently revised later lenses? Maybe they didn't tell Oly either?

I used to the have the 20. "Grinds slowly into focus - takes at least half a second to get there" sounds about like how I remember that lens. Seemed OK for me for some types of shooting. Kind of like the Fuji 35 now - works for me, some think its fatally flawed...

-Ray

williamthorpe
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, May 7, 2012

Hi, just noticed this with my panasonic 20mm lens, seems intermittant and only when camera enters sleep mode. Both camera and lens have latest firmware.

will try with pana14mm, 100-300 and 45-200. and report back. sometimes it wakes ok from sleep when shutter button pressed halfway then sometimes not. only way to remedy is to take battery out which is annoying with grip attached.

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,057Gear list
Like?
The more I hear about the 20mm

The more I'm glad I didn't order one

I'll make due w the 14/2.5 & 45/1.8 as my only primes for now, until I find the need for something different.
Now if I could just get a hold of that E-M5 to hang them on!
--
Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
cmpatti
Regular MemberPosts: 192Gear list
Like?

Although I've had the camera for about 10 days, I finally got out to do some real shooting this weekend. It went dead repeatedly with both the Panny 20mm and the 7-14mm, and could be revived only by removing and re-inserting the battery. I wasn't entirely sure whether this occurred only after the camera went into sleep mode, but it seemed that on at least one occasion (with the 7-14) it happened in the middle of shooting. Yesterday, I tried to do the 1.1 firmware update, got an error message, and the camera went dead not to be revived. A call to Olympus service informed me that the initial firmware update to 1.1 had to be performed without a lens on the body. Took the lens off, plugged the camera in, it came alive somehow and the firmware updated. We'll see how things work now.

cmpatti's gear list:cmpatti's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
bgalb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,248Gear list
Like?

I have had my E-M5 now and had no problem with lockup or focusing with any of my lenses. Including panny 14-140, 100-300 and 25; oly 9-18, 14-42.

bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
eyedo
Contributing MemberPosts: 619
Like?
In reply to bgalb, May 8, 2012

That happened to me the other day after camera had been on for a bit,then sleep mode.I had to remove the battery to get it going again. I was using the Panasonic 45-200

Louis_Dobson
Like?
You all know it switches itself off, right?
In reply to bgalb, May 8, 2012

Mine has not been refusing to return form sleep with Panny lenses, although I only tested once with the 20mm (not a lens I use much), so it seems likely that those who have to remove the battery to get a camera going have faulty one

However , just in case anyone missed it, the camera switches itself off after a user-settable time in sleep mode. Then you have to switch it off and on again.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads