5DIII or 1DsIII

Started Apr 18, 2012 | Discussions
huskerss1
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?
5DIII or 1DsIII
Apr 18, 2012

I am using 5DII, and really would like better focus. Used 1Ds III are about the same price as 5DIII.

My needs.

Better focus in natural light. I photograph kids.

I don't care for high ISO.

What would you do?

I really appreceiate your input.

Best!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SDRebel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,489
Like?
Re: 5DIII or 1DsIII
In reply to huskerss1, Apr 18, 2012

I recently sold my 1DsIII and bought the 5DIII.

The 1DsIII remains a great piece of equipment. You'll get great photos with it, and it's built like a tank so it will last and last.

On the other hand, the 5DIII provides significantly upgraded technology.

Does it matter? Well, take a look at any book on the history of photography. The lesson is obvious. Both cameras will facilitate taking great photographs.

Yet, which would I buy? The answer is just as obvious.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
huskerss1
Like?
In reply to SDRebel, Apr 18, 2012

Thanks for your input. Is the focus on 5DIII as good as 1DsIII?

In AI Servo, when I use 5DII with 85 1.2L, I just miss so many moments. Maybe I need to learn how to use that lens properly..lol

Let me know what you think..

keithinmelbourne
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?

I recently bought a new 1Ds3 at half price, which puts it at the same price point as the 5D3. I previously had a 1D3 and a 5D2 (which I still have). One thing I did notice was that the 1D3 was able to drive the 85L and 50L much more efficiently than the 5D2. I know that the 5D2 has lousy outer AF points, but the centre point is very strong and accurate. Nevertheless, it does not seem to be able to power an 85L in the same way that a 1D body does. I believe that this may have something to do with the batteries. To cut a long story short, the 1Ds3 is still an awesome camera, which has meant that my 5D2 is hardly used. I am not sure how well the 5D3 drives heavy glass, but I would check it out before going there too quickly.
--
http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/

keithinmelbourne's gear list:keithinmelbourne's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D +17 more
Felipe Rodríguez
Senior MemberPosts: 2,940Gear list
Like?
In reply to keithinmelbourne, Apr 18, 2012

Same experience for me. However, I've sold the 1Ds3 and my new 5D3 will hopefully come in a few days...

And, apart from what it's already stated, don't forget that the 1Ds doesn't take footage...

keithinmelbourne wrote:

I recently bought a new 1Ds3 at half price, which puts it at the same price point as the 5D3. I previously had a 1D3 and a 5D2 (which I still have). One thing I did notice was that the 1D3 was able to drive the 85L and 50L much more efficiently than the 5D2. I know that the 5D2 has lousy outer AF points, but the centre point is very strong and accurate. Nevertheless, it does not seem to be able to power an 85L in the same way that a 1D body does. I believe that this may have something to do with the batteries. To cut a long story short, the 1Ds3 is still an awesome camera, which has meant that my 5D2 is hardly used. I am not sure how well the 5D3 drives heavy glass, but I would check it out before going there too quickly.
--
http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/

-- hide signature --

http://www.felipe-rodriguez.com

Bokeh

Dadme un mundo sin contornos,
Un espacio feliz que ignore los perfiles.
Concededme, sĂ­, la dicha redonda
De flotar sin conciencia en el fondo
Desenfocado de mis fotografĂ­as.

Give me a world with no edges,
A happy space knowing nothing about outlines.
Grant me, please, the round joy
Of thoughtlessly floating on the blurred
Background of my photographs.

Felipe Rodríguez's gear list:Felipe Rodríguez's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
chrismosk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,776Gear list
Like?
In reply to Felipe Rodríguez, Apr 18, 2012

if you don't care for high iso, get the 1dsIII, I have both, my 5d IIII will probably be my go to camera now, but the 1ds III is a beautiful system and yes the AF is great, though I feel the 5d's is a tad better but have only tested for about one month. The 1ds has more options, much better weather sealing, more metering options and other pro features that are useful and a better yet more expensive battery system.
--

-T h a n k s C C M

chrismosk's gear list:chrismosk's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
KAllen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,729Gear list
Like?

huskerss1 wrote:

I am using 5DII, and really would like better focus. Used 1Ds III are about the same price as 5DIII.

My needs.

What would you do?

Best!

I spent a couple of evenings on a hillside pointing at the town below with a 5DII and my 1DsmkIII seeing which did a better job in the dark. The 5DII won easily, my 1DsmkIII got easily confused with pinpoints of light, the 5D had greater success.

So I have always thought the 5D had better focusing. Then you read DPReview and everyone is complaining about the 5D focusing, refering to the "5D focusing problem". When I had a night job to shoot I would borrow a 5DII. I have never been 100% happy with the 1DsIII focusing. I think the new 5D is the better bet from all the reports I have seen,the 1DskIII is ok and works more than it doesn't, but it's nothing special.

Kevin.

UponQuai
Contributing MemberPosts: 654
Like?

huskerss1 wrote:

My needs.

What would you do?

Best!

How about light leak. Do you care about light leaking from back or top panel that will change your metering?

huskerss1
Like?
In reply to UponQuai, Apr 18, 2012

I am not sure what light leak will do at this point.

Like most children photographers, focus is way too important. Now if you guys are saying that 5DIII focus is as good as 1DsIII, then there is no question in my mind. I will buy 5DIII. (once these issues are resolved).

But all of my work is in natural light. Almost never in the evening.

chrismosk
Like?

I would say it is as good if not better.
--

-T h a n k s C C M

Sony RX1R Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
Hans Kruse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,058
Like?
In reply to KAllen, Apr 18, 2012

Well, that's a very unfair and inaccurate characterization of the 1Ds mkIII focus system. I used the 5D which has the same Af system as the 5D mkII and although the 5D AF works well with the center AF point I would use the same expression and say that the 1Ds mkIII wins easily over the 5D (mkII). I would not rule out that there could be situations where the 5D focus better, but I have not come across them. I have used both extensively for all kinds of shooting. What I have found is that the 1Ds mkIII is incredibly accurate in focus and fast too. I have no experience with the 5D mkIII but would expect it is in the same league as the 1Ds mkIII give the new AF system borrowed from the 1DX.

chrismosk
Like?
In reply to Hans Kruse, Apr 18, 2012

I agree with Hans, I have the original 5d which has the same system as the 5d mk II and hands down the 1ds mk III killed it (in every scenario) I have ever encountered. Now the 5d MK III is so far for me, better in all AF scenarios (outer points), AI servo, sports, etc.
--

-T h a n k s C C M

Colin K. Work
Contributing MemberPosts: 720
Like?
In reply to chrismosk, Apr 18, 2012

Compared to the 1DIII (which I think is essentially the same AF as the 1DsIII, I'd definitely go with the 5D3.

I suspect in some cases the IDIII may be slightly faster, but it is much more 'tempermental' and difficult to optimise. When dealing with unpredicatable and erratic subjects (eg kids or pets) I am convinced you will get far more sharp shots with the 5DIII - in such situations, my 1DIII would produce an frustrating combination of tack sharp shots and complete misses (yes, I know its all about tailoring the 1DIII, but that's the point, in the real world the 5DIII is simply more useable).

Cheers,

Colin
--
Colin K. Work
http://www.ckwphoto.com

KAllen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,729Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hans Kruse, Apr 18, 2012

Hans Kruse wrote:

Well, that's a very unfair and inaccurate characterization of the 1Ds mkIII focus system. I used the 5D which has the same Af system as the 5D mkII and although the 5D AF works well with the center AF point I would use the same expression and say that the 1Ds mkIII wins easily over the 5D (mkII). I would not rule out that there could be situations where the 5D focus better, but I have not come across them. I have used both extensively for all kinds of shooting. What I have found is that the 1Ds mkIII is incredibly accurate in focus and fast too. I have no experience with the 5D mkIII but would expect it is in the same league as the 1Ds mkIII give the new AF system borrowed from the 1DX.

I have found (I know others which say the same) the 1DsmkIII gets confused with bright light, something like a road with backlit Sun would often throw the camera way off.

Night shooting from a helicopter it is very hit or miss. The 5DII I've used is not as quick but generally gets it right.

I had other issues, it had two trips back to Canon, they claim it's within spec, so I conclud after shooting with it for a number of years in lots of lighting conditions, it's good but not great. I think the latest models will beat it hands down.

If fast accurate focussing was the reason I wanted a new camera the X or 5DIII would be top of the list and not DsIII.

John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,615Gear list
Like?
I've owned both - vote for 5d3

I've had 3 of the 1ds's as each came out then the 5d2 and now the 5d3.

The body build is slightly better on the 1ds3. The 5d3 is way better than the 5d2.

The AF is better on the 5d3. From what I've read the AF system is the same as the yet unreleased 1dx except with one processor instead of two because of the frame rate difference. 6fps of the 5d3 is working great for me.

I have an old 133x Kingston 16gb card and get 15 shots with raw only turned on and 7 with raw and large Jpeg turned on.

I've got a card coming in today that's a 600x that should quadruple those numbers from what I read at a table at another web site that has tested all manner of cards.

I prefer the body size of the 5d3 to the 1ds3.

The other difference that I noticed on the 1ds3 to 5d2 which have the same sensor is that the 5d2 has a flourine coating to the AA filter and was much better at dust control than the 1ds3 was.

Color and metering and WB are better on the 5d3 too besides just the iso and dr capability.
--
John Mason - Lafayette, IN

http://www.fototime.com/inv/407B931C53A9D9D

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
huskerss1
Like?
In reply to Colin K. Work, Apr 18, 2012

I was all set to buy 1DsIII from ebay this week, and now I must hold off

As you guys are saying, autofocus of 5d3 is as good as 1ds3. Then I must wait for these minor issues to be resolved by Canon to buy 5d3.

For now, my 2 5D2 bodies are doing what they need to do to make money for me.

I know, we always want a bit more ...lol

Thanks for input!

Dave Seeley
Contributing MemberPosts: 714
Like?

I was considering buying a used 1DsIII in December, when they were selling used for close to their original purchase price on eBay - I believe, because of skepticism over the 1Dx, and no new stock of the 1DsIII. Bear in mind, that the 1Dx had long been announced, and that many thought it would ship imminently - at the time. It has been the availability of the 5DmarkIII that has cut the price of used 1DsIII's down from 5k to 3.5K.... Nothing has changed on the 1Dx front...other than a hard ship date.

The price drop is likely due to 1DsIII owners moving to the 5DmarkIII, and selling their 1DsIII's on eBay... That's a pretty strong endorsement of 5DmarkIII over 1DsIII by prior flagship owners. I'd expect the trend to continue, and the price of 1DsIII's will continue to drop.

-- hide signature --

pro photo-illustration
http://www.DaveSeeley.com/

current kit: 5DmkII, 17-35/2.8L, 24-105is/4.0L, 28-70/2.8L, 70-200is/2.8L, 1002.8L macro, 50/1.2L, 6x550ex Speedlites, Phottix Odin Flash Triggers, wft-E4II

huskerss1
Like?
Re: I've owned both - vote for 5d3
In reply to John Mason, Apr 18, 2012

Very helpful! Thanks!

Hans Kruse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,058
Like?

I have used min for 4 years and I do have this experience as mentioned.

huskerss1
Like?
In reply to Dave Seeley, Apr 18, 2012

very useful insight dave. thanks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads