iPad 3 won't sync photos.

Started Apr 17, 2012 | Discussions
OvinceZ
Senior MemberPosts: 2,550Gear list
Like?
Re: iPad 3 won't sync photos. - THE SOLUTION....
In reply to pavi1, Apr 23, 2012

I have seen a CF card to iPad connector on the internet. I don't like removing my CF cards because of those delicate pins so that isn't a good solution for me. The SD cards seem safer to use with no pins to bend.

Vince

OvinceZ's gear list:OvinceZ's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter Rongsted
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641Gear list
Like?
In reply to Menneisyys, Apr 23, 2012

Menneisyys wrote:

It doesn't resize, "only" increase the size of the images y adding uncompressed thumbnails to every single image. This results in a 500+ kByte size increase for every single image.

Then I must report a bug in iTunes 10.6.1 running on my 2010 15" MacBook Pro with OS X 10.7.3. As a test I used a 39 Mpix photo from a Hasselblad H3D - not mine

I synced with iTunes from a folder and transferred the photo back using Dropbox. The original image was 7200x5396. When it came back after the roundtrip to an iPad 3 it was 4099x3072. The same image round tripped to an iPad 1 came back as 2049x1536. With an iPhone 4s the size is the same as the iPad 1.

I also mailed the image to my mail account using copy/paste so I could get original size. The size was the same as when transferred via Dropbox so I don't think it was resized on the iPad/iPhone.

All iDevices are running iOS 5.1

BTW my findings confirm what I read in this blog post about a months ago:

http://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2012/3/23/displaying-your-photography-on-the-new-ipad.html

Peter

P.S. The numbers 4099 and 2049 are not typos - or at least I must have made the same ones twice now

Peter Rongsted's gear list:Peter Rongsted's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D70 Nikon D1X Nikon D700 Olympus E-500 +35 more
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,793Gear list
Like?
In reply to OvinceZ, Apr 24, 2012

I don't remove my CF card from my D300s unless it is full and I need to put in another card. My D70s is a paperweight because of removing the card instead of downloading with the USB cable. USB cable is plenty fast, I just do something else while it down loads.

I discovered the CF reader to work with the iPad because once I forgot to save small jpg's to SD and I wanted to look at some pics that were only on the CF card.

OvinceZ wrote:

I have seen a CF card to iPad connector on the internet. I don't like removing my CF cards because of those delicate pins so that isn't a good solution for me. The SD cards seem safer to use with no pins to bend.

Vince

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,370
Like?
In reply to OvinceZ, Apr 24, 2012

OvinceZ wrote:

Vince

I've been using CF cards for over 10 years now, have always removed them to upload via a card reader and have not bent one pin.

Mark

pavi1
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Apr 24, 2012

I have had a drivers license for 50 years, driven over 3 million miles, never an accident.
Therefore accidents are a myth.

I also do not have one bent pin in my D70s that no longer works. I believe one of the many solder joints on the CF holder is broken.

Mark B. wrote:

OvinceZ wrote:

Vince

I've been using CF cards for over 10 years now, have always removed them to upload via a card reader and have not bent one pin.

Mark

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

Uwe Steinmueller
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,386
Like?
Re: iPad 3 won't sync photos.
In reply to Menneisyys, Apr 25, 2012

For example, Photo Manager Pro ( http://itunes.apple.com/app/photo-manager-pro/id393858562?mt=8 ) , as of version 4.0.4, my favorite slideshow app

Thanks. Seems to do what I want. JUst the copy of 5000 images is somehow slow via FTP.

I also like the nested folders.

-- hide signature --

Editor of Digital Outback Photo
http://www.outbackphoto.com/index_news.html
NEX-7 Field Report: http://t.co/qUI5zncN

Uwe Steinmueller
Like?
In reply to Uwe Steinmueller, Apr 25, 2012

I have issues with it because FTP creates zombie folders.

I have > 200 folders with 5000 images.
--

Joe Ogiba
Senior MemberPosts: 2,887Gear list
Like?
Samsung 11.6-Inch 2560x1600 Tablet
In reply to OvinceZ, Apr 25, 2012

The Samsung 11.6-Inch 2560x1600 Tablet is what many people are waiting for so I hope it comes out soon.

OvinceZ wrote:

Photography is a huge hobby for me. I shoot with 3 DSLRs and do heaps of panoramas. I want a device I can show large photos on.

The majority of my photos would be fine if under 3000 pixels wide but many would not. This is a totally unacceptable restriction for me.

I have visited the local Apple store twice and no one knew of any sync problems. I would have to conclude they don't read the internet or have been instructed to say they haven't heard of this problem.

My frustrations continue and there is no solution in sight. What a total waste of my time. This is not at all what someone should have to endure trying to get his new device to work properly.

Vince

Joe Ogiba's gear list:Joe Ogiba's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Menneisyys
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010
Like?
In reply to Uwe Steinmueller, Apr 26, 2012

What are they named? Is it possible they're hidden operating system folders already existing at the source?

Uwe Steinmueller wrote:

I have issues with it because FTP creates zombie folders.

I have > 200 folders with 5000 images.
--

Uwe Steinmueller
Like?
In reply to Menneisyys, Apr 26, 2012

I think I made some progress using FileZilla.

Before I had images on the iPad but the folders did not show.
--

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,370
Like?
In reply to pavi1, Apr 26, 2012

Apples & oranges - not even remotely comparable. Driving a car, at any moment some moron not paying attention could cause you to be in an accident no matter how careful you are.

Not saying a bent pin is impossible, only that it's a much rarer occurence than most think.

pavi1 wrote:

I have had a drivers license for 50 years, driven over 3 million miles, never an accident.

I also do not have one bent pin in my D70s that no longer works. I believe one of the many solder joints on the CF holder is broken.

Mark B. wrote:

OvinceZ wrote:

Vince

Mark

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

OvinceZ
Like?
SkyDrive
In reply to OvinceZ, Apr 27, 2012

Someone suggested using SkyDrive to store photos. This is Microsoft's version of iCloud and they offer 7 Gb for free. You can get an extra 20 Gb for $10/year. Bypasses iTunes so it seems to be a solution. You can store documents this way as well. Will try this service and report back.

Vince

Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +14 more
pavi1
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Apr 27, 2012

The discussion has nothing to do with fruit. I was simply pointing out that your lack of bad experience is not relevant. Good for you if you never had a problem. How does that fix anything for those who have had problems.

Mark B. wrote:

Apples & oranges - not even remotely comparable. Driving a car, at any moment some moron not paying attention could cause you to be in an accident no matter how careful you are.

Not saying a bent pin is impossible, only that it's a much rarer occurence than most think.

pavi1 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

OvinceZ wrote:

Vince

Mark

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

seeblue
Senior MemberPosts: 1,166
Like?
Re: SkyDrive
In reply to OvinceZ, Apr 27, 2012

You don't "have to" use iTunes to use iCloud (although, that will depend on your workflow). It is not a requirement, at all.

You may also want to look at Dropbox or Box.

OvinceZ
Like?
Still won't sync photos.
In reply to OvinceZ, May 2, 2012

I have tried all the 'fixes' to no avail. Still can't get my photos on my iPad 3. No worries about getting them on my iPads I and II.

iTunes just about drives me nuts. What a shambles of a software to impose on hapless customers.

I have spent several weeks fooling around with this nonsense. This is the only computer/software problem I've had that I can't solve.

Vince

OvinceZ
Like?
Success at last thanks to Menneisyys. All photos on iPad now.
In reply to OvinceZ, May 2, 2012

I purchased the Photo Manager Pro App for my iPad. Then I had to download FileZilla. It wouldn't work until I stopped all firewalls on my PC. Then I had to figure out how to use FileZilla Client to wirelessly download all 11000 photos. I had to download them one folder at a time which was fine. The process took several hours and I like the format of the Photo Manager Pro better than the iPad Photos App. I keep the latter for photos I download from the net or my cameras.

Thanks to Menneisyys and others who contributed to this thread. No more iTunes to get my photos on my iPad 3. The Photo Manager Pro cost a few dollars but is worth every cent. Apple should acquire this for every iPad. The photos are found on the Photo Manager Pro App which is fine with me. Vince

SunflowerFly
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Don't use iTunes
In reply to OvinceZ, Jun 11, 2012

Apple is slowly going away from syncing through iTunes, and right now its a mess as they try to change over. Just use iCloud.

If a PC user, there is a Windows extension that lets it automatically download pics from your photostream to a folder of your choosing. It actually works better than a Mac that requires buying one of 2 terrible apps.

There is at least one app (probably several) that let you pic and choose what to download (can't remember name). You install one copy on each iPad iPhone / PC that you want to send pics back and forth via wifi. I have friends using it and love that they get to choose, and it works wireless. I like the automation of everything going via iCloud.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads