My first shoot with the D800

Started Apr 17, 2012 | Discussions
usurp
Regular MemberPosts: 238
Like?
My first shoot with the D800
Apr 17, 2012

It was a cloudy day but there was some diffused light which helped me out a bit. I didn't have any major issues with the D800. Some of the shots were slightly out of focus but i shoot with AF-S and one fixed middle focus point so since the subjects were moving it most likely was user error.

I love all the buttons on the D800, I was changing options on the fly without losing any time.

One thing I'm not used to is the full frame sensor. I shot the pics below with my 80-200 f/2.8. On my previous D90 with the lens wide open the background was still fairly visible, but with the full frame d800 i've definitely got to close the aperture a bit since the background is now really disconnected from the foreground.

The shots below were processed in lightroom. I've got a powerful 27inch iMac with core 5 or something and like 12GB of RAM and you really have to be patient processing 36MP photos. But god damn 36MP is amazing. Before getting the D800 I was wishing it was a 22MP but now I'm glad its a 36. It gives me a lot of room to crop photos which for an amateur like me allows me to fix my mistakes after the shot is taken. I like.

Nikon D800 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Richard L. Jacobs
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
Re: My first shoot with the D800
In reply to usurp, Apr 17, 2012

Nicely done indeed. I believe you are trying to fool us into believing you are a beginner. Your images betray that assumption. Again, great work.
--
Jake

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JacquesC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,385
Like?

Congrats on your new camera!
I like the last pic most.

I have the same iMac you have and was wondering what the D800 image files will do to Lightroom and Photoshop - sounds like it whacks it hard !

What a pity, because both LR and PS performs very well while processing D700 images.
--
Jacques

Apple & Eve : http://www.apple-and-eve.com

jolsongoude
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?

Those are dang nice - well done!

Jay

jolsongoude's gear list:jolsongoude's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +2 more
usurp
Like?
In reply to Richard L. Jacobs, Apr 17, 2012

@jake thanks, I didn't say I was a beginner just an amateur

usurp
Like?
In reply to JacquesC, Apr 17, 2012

@Jacques I'm shooting lossless compressed, not sure if shooting uncompressed makes thing a bit quicker. But one things for sure, you really need a 27inch screen, it'll help a lot when working with these large images. I wonder if adding more ram will help speed things up, my mac can go up to 16GB but not sure if an extra 4 right now will make a difference.

usurp
Like?
In reply to jolsongoude, Apr 17, 2012

@jay thanks

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?

I also like the last one best. It's also refreshing to see another post with nice normal images with no complaints about the camera's focussing. Nailed focus, nice bokeh, good series.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
GAP IMAGES
Regular MemberPosts: 244
Like?
In reply to marike6, Apr 17, 2012

Very nice pictures! Ironic in a way … using a $3,000 camera to take pictures of men that probably don’t earn that much money in 10 years!? Great photos … not meant to be critical.

Tommot1965
Contributing MemberPosts: 887
Like?
In reply to GAP IMAGES, Apr 17, 2012

GAP IMAGES wrote:

Very nice pictures! Ironic in a way … using a $3,000 camera to take pictures of men that probably don’t earn that much money in 10 years!? Great photos … not meant to be critical.

agreed..it looks like a sad existence....but looking past the social injustice of the world, they are damn fine images

hatem95
Regular MemberPosts: 474Gear list
Like?
where were these great pics taken ?
In reply to Tommot1965, Apr 18, 2012

and whats the nationality of the workers ?? They look afghany to me
--
Hatem Tawfik, MD
Cairo Egypt
http://www.pbase.com/hatem35

hatem95's gear list:hatem95's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF +2 more
JoshRtek
Regular MemberPosts: 267Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tommot1965, Apr 18, 2012

The fourth image is my favorite. Really, really well done.

JoshRtek's gear list:JoshRtek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 +9 more
JoshRtek
Regular MemberPosts: 267Gear list
Like?
In reply to usurp, Apr 18, 2012

usurp wrote:

@Jacques I'm shooting lossless compressed, not sure if shooting uncompressed makes thing a bit quicker. But one things for sure, you really need a 27inch screen, it'll help a lot when working with these large images. I wonder if adding more ram will help speed things up, my mac can go up to 16GB but not sure if an extra 4 right now will make a difference.

You can actually put up to 32 GB of RAM in the 27" iMac. Check out OWC at http://www.macsales.com . They've got a 32 GB kit. Kinda pricey, but when you're pushing those many pixels around, I bet Lightroom 4 will eat RAM for lunch!

JoshRtek's gear list:JoshRtek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 +9 more
dieseldavey63
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to JoshRtek, Apr 18, 2012

No 4 is my favourite

benjaminblack
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?
In reply to usurp, Apr 18, 2012

Stunning shots. Many of the negative posts about the D800 do not include images. A post like this will help remind everyone how exceptional this camera is

benjaminblack's gear list:benjaminblack's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
usurp
Like?

wow 32GB of RAM? I had no idea I could add that much!

usurp
Like?

damn you got my hopes up. 32GB works only on i5 and i7 iMacs. Mine is an i3

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads