Does the T1i and T2i have identical image quality?

Started Apr 17, 2012 | Discussions
DFPanno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,574Gear list
Like?
Does the T1i and T2i have identical image quality?
Apr 17, 2012

Asking re stills; not video or feature set differences.

Thanks

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3) Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,631Gear list
Like?
Re: Does the T1i and T2i have identical image quality?
In reply to DFPanno, Apr 17, 2012

DFPanno wrote:

Asking re stills; not video or feature set differences.

No T1i and T2i do not have identical IQ. The T2i and T3i have identical IQ.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
windmillgolfer
Senior MemberPosts: 8,550Gear list
Like?
Re: Does the T1i and T2i have identical image quality? T3i??
In reply to DFPanno, Apr 17, 2012

Do you mean T2i & T3i. Comparing the 15MP T1i with the 18MP T2i doesn't make a lot of sense. I had 500D (T1i) and now have 600D/T3i. The 600D has, at least, a Stop advantage and much more scope for cropping. Since T2i & T3i have same sensor, T2i will also be better IQ-wise than T1i. Stuart

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
pcake
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?
In reply to bigdaddave, Apr 19, 2012

why do you think that?

bigdaddave wrote:

I think the 15 meg sensor stinks.

pcake's gear list:pcake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
bigdaddave
Contributing MemberPosts: 965
Like?
In reply to pcake, Apr 20, 2012

The bad experiences I had with the 50D. Noisy, poor color, just nowhere near as capable as the Xsi or 40D sensors.

pcake wrote:
why do you think that?

bigdaddave wrote:

I think the 15 meg sensor stinks.

Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,631Gear list
Like?
In reply to bigdaddave, Apr 20, 2012

bigdaddave wrote:

The bad experiences I had with the 50D. Noisy, poor color, just nowhere near as capable as the Xsi or 40D sensors.

That must have been a problem with your individual 50D. My 50D was just as capable as my 40D. I owned a T1i for a short period of time (due to losing it after it took a dip in the ocean) and it was just as capable as my other cameras.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
guitarjeff
Contributing MemberPosts: 844
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, Apr 20, 2012

T1i has the Digic 4 sensor I believe. I have the T10 and the 12 MG XSI, and you know, I almost prefer the 12 MP XSI for some reason, and I can't say why. The previous poster just said the same thing. Can you tell me why you think this is?

I thought it was just me having a feeling of loyalty to my older XSI, just emotion, but I notice I have my new Sigma 17-50 OS HSM 600 dollar lens mounted on my XSI for portraits and most shooting, while my 55-250 is mounted on my T1i which gets used a lot less. Maybe I dolike the 12 mp ofthe XSI for some reason, is this possible, or just me being emotional and loyal to my XSI? Nothing wrong that I can point out with my T1i, does nice higher ISO with the 15mp, and no focus problems or anything. Just strange that i should see someone else mention it.

BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,595Gear list
Like?
In reply to guitarjeff, Apr 20, 2012

I don't know just how high you feel YOU need your ISO to be for self satisfaction. That would maybe make a lot of difference. My current DSLR is the T1i, and I freely shoot at 1600ISO without even giving it a second thought, and often go the max. to 3200 with non-objectionable results. Not sure if my success is from using the 70-200/4 IS USM lens--an "L" lens, though. That's the lens that's usually attached when I need those higher ISOs.

Point being....the T1i does deliver for me. If the T2i/T3i are even better up there, great. But I don't need them; as my T1i is doing what I'm demanding of it. A real nice camera overall.

Mannypr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,363Gear list
Like?
In reply to guitarjeff, May 3, 2012

guitarjeff wrote:

T1i has the Digic 4 sensor I believe. I have the T10 and the 12 MG XSI, and you know, I almost prefer the 12 MP XSI for some reason, and I can't say why. The previous poster just said the same thing. Can you tell me why you think this is?

I thought it was just me having a feeling of loyalty to my older XSI, just emotion, but I notice I have my new Sigma 17-50 OS HSM 600 dollar lens mounted on my XSI for portraits and most shooting, while my 55-250 is mounted on my T1i which gets used a lot less. Maybe I dolike the 12 mp ofthe XSI for some reason, is this possible, or just me being emotional and loyal to my XSI? Nothing wrong that I can point out with my T1i, does nice higher ISO with the 15mp, and no focus problems or anything. Just strange that i should see someone else mention it.

I was hanging around the forums and reading and saw this post and started reading . The reason I wanted to answer your post is that I feel exactly the same way you do and I never have had an XSi . I don't even have a Canon camera as my whole DSLR system is Nikon but I have always respected Canons quality in photography.

Now , everytime I see a post of a photo taken with the XSI I stop and just look at it as there is something with this camera that attracts my atention which I like a lot . I don't know if it's color or what , but whatever it is I like it very much .

Some people say that sometimes a camera comes along that has magic . I think this model specifically has it .

Mannypr's gear list:Mannypr's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
Flying Fish
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,580
Like?
XSi v T1i v T2i
In reply to Mannypr, May 4, 2012

You know, I have an XSi and while I'm totally happy with the color, contrast, WB, and so on, I've never been totally happy with sharpness. I bought a 7D and with the same lenses it's just much sharper. The XSi isn't un/sharp; it's just not strikingly sharp, as the 7D is. I dunno, I'm thinking of replacing it with a T2i...

As for the 15MP sensor, I've seen fine images with it but I don't think it's as good as the 18MP sensor. But I'd be surprised if you could actually notice the difference in cropping.

FF

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads