What is the BEST native M43 lens?
Apr 17, 2012

PL25mm?

MadsR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,235Gear list
Like?
What is the best native Canon lens?
In reply to katherineplutt, Apr 17, 2012

I mean, the question is absurd, it really depends on what you want to do with it.

Currently the best lenses AFAIK (from reviews) 12mm f2, 25mm f1.4 and 45mm f1.8, with the other panny primes trailing slightly behind, but being very good because of price.

But being given only a choice of 1 lens, I would currently choose the 14-45 Panasonic lens, as it gives better versatility... In the not so distant future hopefully replaced by the new X short zoom (12-35mm f2.8 or there abouts...)

MadsR's gear list:MadsR's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,659Gear list
Like?
Re: What is the BEST native M43 lens?

katherineplutt wrote:

PL25mm?

Depends VERY much on just what type of pics you reguarly shoot doesn't it..what FL suits you best..

I tend to like taking close of various kind.."street" shots in a general sense..NEVER such as landscapes or any distance shots.. and for these.. I kid you not..on a good camera and with well-taken shots, you'll be hard pushed to find a better AND more compact one than the 20mm f1.7.. absoute gem !!

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,925Gear list
Like?
Best tool

Hammer? Screwdriver? Saw? Lathe?
--
Latest at: http://www.pbase.com/morepix/europe_2010

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
MadsR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,235Gear list
Like?
Hammer!
In reply to morepix, Apr 17, 2012

The universal tool... If it does not fit, you can always hit someone else until they bring something usable

MadsR's gear list:MadsR's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,613Gear list
Like?
Summilux 25mm f/1.4 is my vote

I have long disliked the "normal" range of focal lengths. When I purchased the Summilux last October, I found it to be so outstanding that it has become my go-to lens at all times. I have the 8mm f/3.5 fisheye, 12mm f/2, and 45mm f/1.8, but the Summilux delivers a rich image that the others do not. Call my comments absurd if you wish, but I believe the Summilux is a cut above anything else in native m4/3 lenses.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Tim F 101
Senior MemberPosts: 1,020
Like?
A rather vague question

What do you want to do with the lens? I would recommend against using the PL25 to shoot birds, macro or wide-angle landscapes.

Aethon
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?

+1 for the 25mm 1.4.

But here's a prediction: having asked an absurd question katherineplutt will never appear again in this thread. No responses, follow-ups or thank yous.
See her previous dozen absurd questions...

Mingjai
Senior MemberPosts: 1,230Gear list
Like?

Kirk or Picard? Baker or Tennant?

Mingjai's gear list:Mingjai's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +10 more
Jere Landis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,674Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aethon, Apr 17, 2012

Aethon wrote:

+1 for the 25mm 1.4.

But here's a prediction: having asked an absurd question katherineplutt will never appear again in this thread. No responses, follow-ups or thank yous.
See her previous dozen absurd questions...

I see what you mean about her posts, but how about your +1 RESPONSE. It is just as silly. There is no BEST lens. Best for what, that is the question, no one lens is best for everything. Wise up!

Jere Landis's gear list:Jere Landis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +11 more
Jon Allison
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
In reply to Mingjai, Apr 17, 2012

Or Pertwee or Troughton.
--
Tomorrow may be too late.

Michael Dodge Thomas
Regular MemberPosts: 179
Like?
In reply to Mingjai, Apr 17, 2012

The BEST u43 lens is always easy to identify, it's the one with a release date eight months from the current date.

ijustdontknow
Regular MemberPosts: 212Gear list
Like?

The one I have on my camera at the time I take a picture?

ijustdontknow's gear list:ijustdontknow's gear list
Nikon D90 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +10 more
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?

Changing the question to which is the most impressive lens, I'd say the 7-14 (which is amazingly sharp considering how small it is and what a difficult job it has) or the 45 (which is nearly flawless, despite being quite cheap and using no expensive glass). I am also very taken with the 25, but Anders insists the 20 is as good, and it is a lot cheaper! The original Panny 14-45 is remarkably good for a cheap kit lens. The 100-300 is worth a mention too, but I'm not sure, I do get a lot of duff shots with it, and I'm not new to long lenses. Probably just me being rubbish, but I'm not absolving the lens quite yet.

The least impressive would seem to be the 17, which is apparently optically poor, the 45 macro, which is a good lens but not for the money, and possibly the 12, which has had every bit of tech thrown at it but is merely good, my 45-200, which should have been capped at one 150, the long end was foul (maybe mine was duff), and the 14-45X, which seems to have an actual problem. The early Oly kit lens has a terrible rep too.

I don't have the 17, the original oly kit lens, or 14-45X, I am going on rep. The rest I own.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Jere Landis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,674Gear list
Like?
In reply to Louis_Dobson, Apr 17, 2012

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Changing the question to which is the most impressive lens, I'd say the 7-14 (which is amazingly sharp considering how small it is and what a difficult job it has) or the 45 (which is nearly flawless, despite being quite cheap and using no expensive glass). I am also very taken with the 25, but Anders insists the 20 is as good, and it is a lot cheaper! The original Panny 14-45 is remarkably good for a cheap kit lens. The 100-300 is worth a mention too, but I'm not sure, I do get a lot of duff shots with it, and I'm not new to long lenses. Probably just me being rubbish, but I'm not absolving the lens quite yet.

The least impressive would seem to be the 17, which is apparently optically poor, the 45 macro, which is a good lens but not for the money, and possibly the 12, which has had every bit of tech thrown at it but is merely good, my 45-200, which should have been capped at one 150, the long end was foul (maybe mine was duff), and the 14-45X, which seems to have an actual problem. The early Oly kit lens has a terrible rep too.

I don't have the 17, the original oly kit lens, or 14-45X, I am going on rep. The rest I own.
--

Louis, your honesty and integrity is amazing. Probably the most unbiased opinions around.

Jere Landis's gear list:Jere Landis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +11 more
vanilla4785
Regular MemberPosts: 126
Like?

Pany 20mm because that is the lens on my camera. Then the oly 45mm because that is the lens in my bag. When I switch lenses the oly 45mm is the best and then the pany 20mm. When I switch again.......... well you can see where this is going :).

I only have 2 lenses which is both limiting and liberating at the same time. They are both excellent lenses and I'm sure there are many more excellent M4/3 lenses. It's a good system if you want good affordable glass.

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?

I agree, good to change it for the most impressive, because the best is very subjective

I also say the 7-14mm from Panasonic Lumix, (and the 20mm is still impressive)

But there are many others good and impressive also, like the PL 25mm and the Oly 45mm

Louis_Dobson wrote:

--

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
duke_goulden
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?

I actually think the PL45 offers more for the money than the Oly45.

Oly45: f1.8, small, sharp enough wide open
price: $320 refurb/used

PL45: f2.8, small for a 1:1 macro (only slightly larger than the PL25), sharp enough wide open, OIS, better build
price: $500 used

I'm not saying that one is clearly better but I do think the PL45 is the most under rated lens in the lineup (with the 12 being the most over rated/priced).

People often recommend buying the Oly45 and an old manual focus lens for macro work, but those will cost around $100 at least and make your kit heavier and require more lens changing and cut away at the savings from the Oly.

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
In reply to duke_goulden, Apr 17, 2012

Well, I like the PL45, but f2.8 is a bit feeble for a portrait lens, so it really is a macro lens, and as a one trick pony it is a bit spendy. I have it, I like it, I use it. But it hasn't made me go "wow" the way the Oly 45 does. Also 45 is a bit short for field macros IMHO, and I have a gripe with the focus limiter - it needs a third position. Getting it to auto macro focus is a pain - it is far to prone to whizzing off to infinity and back. The limiter should be far/all/close, not just far/all.

I think Oly's 60 looks like a much better bet, but then the 45 is here and the Oly isn't.

Again, I don't want to rubbish the lens. It's a good lens. But it isn't outstanding, and there are several MFT lenses that are.

duke_goulden wrote:

I actually think the PL45 offers more for the money than the Oly45.

Oly45: f1.8, small, sharp enough wide open
price: $320 refurb/used

PL45: f2.8, small for a 1:1 macro (only slightly larger than the PL25), sharp enough wide open, OIS, better build
price: $500 used

I'm not saying that one is clearly better but I do think the PL45 is the most under rated lens in the lineup (with the 12 being the most over rated/priced).

People often recommend buying the Oly45 and an old manual focus lens for macro work, but those will cost around $100 at least and make your kit heavier and require more lens changing

duke_goulden
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?

I guess I'm just not that impressed by the Oly45. I find 2.8 perfectly fine for portraits and honestly, there isn't much difference in the amount of background blur from 1.8 to 2.8 (there's a little, sure, but only the photographer will ever know).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads