Full Frame Nex

Started Apr 17, 2012 | Discussions
Spunky8
Contributing MemberPosts: 609Gear list
Like?
Full Frame Nex
Apr 17, 2012

Isn't it only a matter of time? Sooner, I suspect, rather than later.

 Spunky8's gear list:Spunky8's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Lng0004
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602
Like?
Re: Full Frame Nex
In reply to Spunky8, Apr 17, 2012

"The boy has no patience."

Spunky8 wrote:

Isn't it only a matter of time? Sooner, I suspect, rather than later.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jokica
Regular MemberPosts: 498Gear list
Like?
Re: Full Frame Nex
In reply to Spunky8, Apr 17, 2012

I would like to see that. However, NEX line is designed to be small and they already facing a problem of big and heavy lenses (compared to a body) required by APS-C sensor. FF sensor will need even larger lenses. Let's hope you are right, I would love new SONY FF sensor (36MP from D800) in new NEX (maybe they will call it different) cameras.

 Jokica's gear list:Jokica's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
panoviews
Regular MemberPosts: 277
Like?
Re: Full Frame Nex
In reply to Lng0004, Apr 17, 2012

...and with a cable release to attach a radio trigger.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Spunky8
Contributing MemberPosts: 609Gear list
Like?
Re: Full Frame Nex
In reply to panoviews, Apr 17, 2012

If Sony got its act together (i.e., by simplifying the Nex 7 menus and making them less redundant and more logical) and then applied its new act to a mirrorless full frame camera, Sony would give Canon, Nikon and Leica a serious run for the money.

 Spunky8's gear list:Spunky8's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tenbatsu
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
Re: Full Frame Nex
In reply to Spunky8, Apr 17, 2012

Suspect a full frame Nex will be hybrid mount. (A+E)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bloomoose
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,215Gear list
Like?
Maybe with a fixed lens?
In reply to Spunky8, Apr 17, 2012

I imagine it is possible, but with a fixed lens, designed to fit the sensor.
--
Greetings from Germany,
Pam
http://www.model-kartei.de/sedcard/fotograf/184280/

 bloomoose's gear list:bloomoose's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX300 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?
Re: Full Frame Nex
In reply to Spunky8, Apr 17, 2012

Since Sony can't produce lenses for their APS-C sized sensor NEX cameras and being a fairly new system, I don't see it happening any time soon.

wll

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
waitformee
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?
Re: Full Frame Nex
In reply to Tenbatsu, Apr 17, 2012

Actually... a crop body is better then a FF. The only thing that I can think of is that the FF have a bigger sensor.

Big sensor actually caused a lot of problems.
need bigger lens, bigger body and many more camera parts need to be bigger.

In F1 racing... the engine is not 10000cc or 100000cc. It is not bigger the better.
In photography too... it should never be the bigger the better.

I believe sony can prove me correct.

nikon 1 have very small lens. If nex can use a even much smaller sensor, much smaller body, much smaller lens and yet the same image quality as nex 7 then it will surely be a big hit in the mirrorless market.

If it comes out to be a FF with better image quality. then what excitement is there?
--
You take beautiful photos and I make beautiful memories for you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kapanak
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
Re: Full Frame Nex
In reply to waitformee, Apr 17, 2012

waitformee wrote:

Actually... a crop body is better then a FF. The only thing that I can think of is that the FF have a bigger sensor.

Big sensor actually caused a lot of problems.
need bigger lens, bigger body and many more camera parts need to be bigger.

In F1 racing... the engine is not 10000cc or 100000cc. It is not bigger the better.
In photography too... it should never be the bigger the better.

I believe sony can prove me correct.

nikon 1 have very small lens. If nex can use a even much smaller sensor, much smaller body, much smaller lens and yet the same image quality as nex 7 then it will surely be a big hit in the mirrorless market.

If it comes out to be a FF with better image quality. then what excitement is there?
--
You take beautiful photos and I make beautiful memories for you.

Why doesn't Sony just put a compact camera sensor inside it and call it HX9V? > >

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aman74
Senior MemberPosts: 2,767
Like?
Re: Full Frame Nex
In reply to panoviews, Apr 17, 2012

panoviews wrote:

...and with a cable release to attach a radio trigger.

You mean PC socket? Why not use the hotshoe?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Emacs23
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?
Re: Full Frame Nex
In reply to Spunky8, Apr 17, 2012

Want one. Bigger sensor means higher IQ, that's what I want.

 Emacs23's gear list:Emacs23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?
Re: Full Frame Nex
In reply to Emacs23, Apr 17, 2012

Emacs23 wrote:

Want one. Bigger sensor means higher IQ, that's what I want.

No, not necessarily. It all depend on the sensor, many of the APS-C sensors today are very, very good. Do you want to carry around huge glass and a much bigger camera body. If so maybe a DSLR is a better bet.... been there, done that. The DSLR camera and lenses get very heavy after a while, you will see.

wll

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aman74
Senior MemberPosts: 2,767
Like?
Re: Full Frame Nex
In reply to wll, Apr 17, 2012

wll wrote:

Emacs23 wrote:

Want one. Bigger sensor means higher IQ, that's what I want.

No, not necessarily. It all depend on the sensor, many of the APS-C sensors today are very, very good. Do you want to carry around huge glass and a much bigger camera body. If so maybe a DSLR is a better bet.... been there, done that. The DSLR camera and lenses get very heavy after a while, you will see.

wll

Given same sensor generation, FF is always going to have an advantage, so yes, it does have higher IQ.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
barri
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?
It won't happen any time soon. For a reason.
In reply to Spunky8, Apr 17, 2012

I don't think we will see a FF Nex any time soon.

One majore reason for FF is shallow DOF.

to reach this, you need to make lenses with wide apertures. These will be huge on a Nex and defeat the purpose of a small body.

-- hide signature --

Sony Alpha 900 user...

see some of my images at
http://christianriedel.com

.

 barri's gear list:barri's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T*
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Emacs23
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?
Re: Full Frame Nex
In reply to wll, Apr 17, 2012

You are wrong, it's common mistake though. With larger sensor lesser magnification is needed to cover same print size. Thus you need lesser quality lens to achieve the same sharpness. But, usually, lenses of the same FOV has higher resolving power, because their physical magnification is higher. So, lenses perform much better on larger sensor (I'm not saying 35mm on FF is better than 35mm on APS-C. I'm saying 35mm on APS-C ≈ 50mm on FF and the latter performs better). I didn't even mean high iso performance, etc.

wll wrote:

Emacs23 wrote:

Want one. Bigger sensor means higher IQ, that's what I want.

No, not necessarily. It all depend on the sensor, many of the APS-C sensors today are very, very good. Do you want to carry around huge glass and a much bigger camera body. If so maybe a DSLR is a better bet.... been there, done that. The DSLR camera and lenses get very heavy after a while, you will see.

wll

 Emacs23's gear list:Emacs23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mkln
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
Re: Full Frame Nex
In reply to Spunky8, Apr 17, 2012

Spunky8 wrote:

Isn't it only a matter of time? Sooner, I suspect, rather than later.

it's very unlikely:

  • current lenses would not work

  • new lenses would need to be bigger

  • edge performance of current lenses is already troublesome. with ff it would proove even more difficult to design good lenses!

I think the NEX system will do just fine if sony releases new lenses like the E 50: f/1.8, not too large, not heavy, good performers, maybe with OSS.

with OSS on a wide aperture lens you have the best of both worlds, because you can shoot in low light without losing too much in IQ (one of the advantages of FF).

so more than a full frame sensor, the NEX system needs lenses. it needs wide aperture primes with OSS. 35mm and 85mm. and a wide angle zoom.

 mkln's gear list:mkln's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?
Re: Full Frame Nex
In reply to mkln, Apr 17, 2012

mkln wrote:

Spunky8 wrote:

Isn't it only a matter of time? Sooner, I suspect, rather than later.

it's very unlikely:

  • current lenses would not work

  • new lenses would need to be bigger

  • edge performance of current lenses is already troublesome. with ff it would proove even more difficult to design good lenses!

I think the NEX system will do just fine if sony releases new lenses like the E 50: f/1.8, not too large, not heavy, good performers, maybe with OSS.

with OSS on a wide aperture lens you have the best of both worlds, because you can shoot in low light without losing too much in IQ (one of the advantages of FF).

so more than a full frame sensor, the NEX system needs lenses. it needs wide aperture primes with OSS. 35mm and 85mm. and a wide angle zoom.

I agree, I don't see it happening.

wll

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zamac
Senior MemberPosts: 1,211Gear list
Like?
Re: Full Frame Nex
In reply to Spunky8, Apr 17, 2012

NEX-9 unlikely.

The mirrorless A9 will be essentially an A-mount (with extra contacts) and will probably be half way in size between the A900 and the NEX-7. It will probably have a range-finder form factor, but that is not certain.

While Sony might prefer to allow the A99 a decent time on the market before bringing out a rival model, they also have to consider what Canon or Nikon (or even Pentax) might have in the pipe-line...so I think they will bring it out as soon as the advances to the focusing system are finalized and any manufacturing problems with the global shutter have been ironed out.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?
Re: Full Frame Nex
In reply to Zamac, Apr 17, 2012

Zamac wrote:

NEX-9 unlikely.

The mirrorless A9 will be essentially an A-mount (with extra contacts) and will probably be half way in size between the A900 and the NEX-7. It will probably have a range-finder form factor, but that is not certain.

While Sony might prefer to allow the A99 a decent time on the market before bringing out a rival model, they also have to consider what Canon or Nikon (or even Pentax) might have in the pipe-line...so I think they will bring it out as soon as the advances to the focusing system are finalized and any manufacturing problems with the global shutter have been ironed out.

Although they probably won't call it a NEX camera, because NEX cameras are designed around the E-series of lenses I believe. I can see an upgrade of the 7 coming with the features that enthusiast want. They need to bring some new high quality lenses to the table also.

wll

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads