Top 10 Minolta legacy lenses!

Started Apr 17, 2012 | Discussions
Cacophonic Visions
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?
100mm f/2.8 VARISOFT is nice too.
In reply to William Curtindale, Dec 31, 2012

A few days ago I got ahold of an AF VARISOFT 100mm f/2.8 and am blown away by the few shots I've done with it, although those shots were done bulb shutter in the dark.

100mm f/2.8 VARISOFT:

91 seconds in near darkness, softness set to 0.

All of my examples with the softness turned up came out underexposed, as I was merely guessing at the exposure timings. I pulled one up a bit:

I forget which softness setting I used.

-- hide signature --

Sony A77, A99, Fujifilm X-Pro1, KM Maxxum 7D

Cacophonic Visions's gear list:Cacophonic Visions's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
christian carneiro
Regular MemberPosts: 280Gear list
Like?
Re: 100mm f/2.8 VARISOFT is nice too.
In reply to Cacophonic Visions, Dec 31, 2012

Cacophonic Visions wrote:

A few days ago I got ahold of an AF VARISOFT 100mm f/2.8 and am blown away by the few shots I've done with it, although those shots were done bulb shutter in the dark.

100mm f/2.8 VARISOFT:

All of my examples with the softness turned up came out underexposed, as I was merely guessing at the exposure timings. I pulled one up a bit:

-- hide signature --

you men the 85mm Varisoft..it is the only one I know of.... BTW I'm selling mine

christian carneiro's gear list:christian carneiro's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +6 more
christian carneiro
Regular MemberPosts: 280Gear list
Like?
Varisoft 85mm and 58mm 1.1.2 clearance!!
In reply to heliguy, Dec 31, 2012

Hi folks!

I'm considering selling some of my MD lenses...among them the 58mm 1.1.2 , the Varisoft 85mm and the 400mm APO

Does anyone know their aprox market value and can advise?

cheers!

christian carneiro's gear list:christian carneiro's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +6 more
Ionian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,259
Like?
In reply to christian carneiro, Jan 1, 2013

christian carneiro wrote:

you men the 85mm Varisoft..it is the only one I know of.... BTW I'm selling mine

No, Minolta had a 100mm lens with a built in softening filter with variable steps of softening.  Great lens but it's discontinued now.

Regards,

Frank

-- hide signature --

'...For every man who has ever lived, in this universe,
there shines a star.'
-Arthur C. Clarke
-------------------------------------------
My gallery: http://www.frankperri.com/g/index.html
Why is it that the people with the biggest and most conspicuous watermarks have the photos least worth stealing?
I instantly disregard any thread or poster that use the words 'Tack Sharp'.
'Can't help it, I am a Barry fanboy.' - gpr2020 (a.k.a. mzd), Sept. 3, 2009

Cacophonic Visions
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?
In reply to christian carneiro, Jan 4, 2013

christian carneiro wrote:

Cacophonic Visions wrote:

100mm f/2.8 VARISOFT:

-- hide signature --

I've both the MD Rokkor 85mm and the A-mount AF Maxxum 100mm. The old MD Rokkor 85 is harder to use due to the adapter conundrum.

I think it might actually be harder to track down the AF 100mm than it is the old MD Rokkor 85mm in the used market.

-- hide signature --

Cacophonic Visions's gear list:Cacophonic Visions's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 +13 more
Vinny311
Forum MemberPosts: 64Gear list
Like?
Re: Top 10 Minolta legacy lenses!
In reply to linzdoctor7d, Apr 30, 2013

The ones I own, beercan and 50mm 1.7

-- hide signature --

Old glass...timeless beauty (Minolta Lenses)

Vinny311's gear list:Vinny311's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 +8 more
havoc315
Senior MemberPosts: 1,410Gear list
Like?
In reply to heliguy, May 1, 2013

Of the ones I own, in order, my favorites:

1. 50mm 2.8 macro (rs)

2. Beercan, 70-210 f4

3. 35-105

4. 50mm 1.7 (lukewarm on this lens)

havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +6 more
Vinny311
Forum MemberPosts: 64Gear list
Like?
In reply to havoc315, May 1, 2013

Beercan beast + a200...Sunset in Puerto Rico's mountains...

-- hide signature --

Old glass...timeless beauty (Minolta Lenses)

Vinny311's gear list:Vinny311's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 +8 more
sensibill
Senior MemberPosts: 4,342Gear list
Like?
In reply to havoc315, May 1, 2013

havoc315 wrote:

Of the ones I own, in order, my favorites:

1. 50mm 2.8 macro (rs)

2. Beercan, 70-210 f4

3. 35-105

4. 50mm 1.7 (lukewarm on this lens)

I just missed a nice condition Beercan for cheap, but I managed to nab a local shop's 50mm 2.8 non-RS. So far it's been a lot of fun.

On the 50mm 1.7, it's not a carry-everywhere lens to be sure, but for sharp semi-portraits at f2.8 it's pretty nice, and the colors are excellent. It's also pretty quick, and often these turn up in pristine condition (quite common) so you can't fault the bang for buck.

I've had good luck even wide open as long as you're not expecting tack sharpness with crazy contrast, or wanting to shoot in glare. I personally like its particular brand of glare.

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
gordocooper
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
In reply to heliguy, May 2, 2013

I bought a 70-210mm F4 beercan on the a99.. It was €30.. It's vignetting somewhat at full aperture but the value's quite good for the invested money..

gordocooper's gear list:gordocooper's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic
NewDrSauced
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
In reply to matts1809, May 4, 2013

matts1809 wrote:

35-105 original (The 35-70 F4 is also a pearla).
50-1.7 (am nt lucky enough to have th 1.4)
I have a sharp 75-300 II but it has taken me 4 goes to get one as good as this.

I'll echo the 35-105 original (2554-100, the one with the macro switch), the bokeh is all cream.

NewDrSauced's gear list:NewDrSauced's gear list
Sony SLT-A65
leewardism
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to Tom2572, 9 months ago

Hi Tom,

There is a sea of heritage lenses just dying to meet you! These lenses are like a singles life letting you, try, either keep or move on with emphasis on not losing much on the deal. It beats buying something new and taking a bath on getting rid of it.

In time the inventory will concentrate down to 6 lenses, these are your kids you love and know for there little  idiosyncratics meanwhile you have given the others their marching orders and it has not cost you a house.

Cheers Lee.

leewardism
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to cyainparadise, 9 months ago

Ah yes the 58mm f1.2 All those David Hamilton posters of french nubiles, thank you for jolting the memory. ( no one winged about grain back then! it was called art.)

sknippen
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?
In reply to havoc315, 9 months ago

My top 10  (i don't own 10 minolta lenses but my ranking from what i own)

1. 50 mm f2.8 macro (sharp little lens)

2. 135 mm f2.8 (great lens, wonderfull colors)

3. 28-105 rs (my walkaround lens - great colors)

4. 70-210 f4 "Beercan" (great lens, nice bokeh, a bit heavy)

5. others not really worth mentioning 35-70 3.5-4.5  lens and 70-210 f4.5-5.6

sknippen's gear list:sknippen's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM
RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,194
Like?
mixed feelings about inflating used prices
In reply to heliguy, 9 months ago

heliguy wrote: Minolta made a lot of good glass both AF and MF. Was wondering what the ultimate top 10 list of Minolta lenses would be. I have the Minolta 50mm f1.4 that should surely make the list, it's my fave legacy lens. I'm not very familiar with the entire product family. What's your Minolta top 10?

Well one tends to be reticent about talking up lenses that you might buy some day. Would just as soon people continue to think that the Minolta AF 50/1.7 is a terrible lens...because look how bad it is at precisely f/1.7 all over, and still bad in the extreme corners wider than F/3.2. Considering that my copy (that someone gave me for nothing) took a short roll on the sidewalk yesterday. Wondering if it's worse for wear/bears replacement.

So remember, dear reader, that the Minolta AF 50/1.7 has just terrible lens tests compared to the Sony FE 55/1.8, Zeiss Otus 55, Sigma 50/1.4, Sony/Zeiss ZA 50/1.4, etc. Surely to your photographic skills, that lens brings no justice.

Owen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?
Are they really legacy lenses?
In reply to heliguy, 9 months ago

Should the A mount AF Minolta Maxxum lenses be considered Legacy Glass? I feel legacy applies to the older manual focusing, with aperture rings. Am I wrong?

Owen

Owen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?
100-300mm APO creeping problem
In reply to Owen, 9 months ago

Mine has it, I solved it by putting one of those plastic bracelets that everyone wears around the lens. Got mine in a pack of 5 from a dollar store.

Works great.

Owen

havoc315
Like?
Re: mixed feelings about inflating used prices
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, 8 months ago

heliguy wrote: Minolta made a lot of good glass both AF and MF. Was wondering what the ultimate top 10 list of Minolta lenses would be. I have the Minolta 50mm f1.4 that should surely make the list, it's my fave legacy lens. I'm not very familiar with the entire product family. What's your Minolta top 10?

Well one tends to be reticent about talking up lenses that you might buy some day. Would just as soon people continue to think that the Minolta AF 50/1.7 is a terrible lens...because look how bad it is at precisely f/1.7 all over, and still bad in the extreme corners wider than F/3.2. Considering that my copy (that someone gave me for nothing) took a short roll on the sidewalk yesterday. Wondering if it's worse for wear/bears replacement.

So remember, dear reader, that the Minolta AF 50/1.7 has just terrible lens tests compared to the Sony FE 55/1.8, Zeiss Otus 55, Sigma 50/1.4, Sony/Zeiss ZA 50/1.4, etc. Surely to your photographic skills, that lens brings no justice.

I was shooting with the 50-1.7 last night. Rarely use it, but giving it a second look with the a99.

It is capable of good shots and a great value for $60-$80. But it is not a particularly good lens. Need to stop it down just to get acceptable sharpness. Bad contrast. For a prime, it has a lot distortion.

Yes, when used properly, with good post processing, it can deliver. But I would never use it as a model of Minolta lenses.

Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +6 more
RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,194
Like?
couldn't agree more
In reply to havoc315, 8 months ago

heliguy wrote: Minolta made a lot of good glass both AF and MF. Was wondering what the ultimate top 10 list of Minolta lenses would be. I have the Minolta 50mm f1.4 that should surely make the list, it's my fave legacy lens. I'm not very familiar with the entire product family. What's your Minolta top 10?

Well one tends to be reticent about talking up lenses that you might buy some day. Would just as soon people continue to think that the Minolta AF 50/1.7 is a terrible lens...because look how bad it is at precisely f/1.7 all over, and still bad in the extreme corners wider than F/3.2. Considering that my copy (that someone gave me for nothing) took a short roll on the sidewalk yesterday. Wondering if it's worse for wear/bears replacement.

havoc315 wrote: I was shooting with the 50-1.7 last night. Rarely use it, but giving it a second look with the a99.

It is capable of good shots and a great value for $60-$80. But it is not a particularly good lens.

So true.

Need to stop it down just to get acceptable sharpness.

Yes, was forced all the way down to F/2.2 today for this one.

Bad contrast. For a prime, it has a lot distortion.

First time have heard of 0.4% as "a lot of distortion." Can you link us to sub-$1000-dollar 50mm F/1.7 fixed-focal length full frame lenses with significantly less?

Yes, when used properly, with good post processing, it can deliver. But I would never use it as a model of Minolta lenses.

While we're at it, would pity owners of the Minolta AF 85/1.4's bad corner resolution wide open.

havoc315
Like?
Re: couldn't agree more
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, 8 months ago

heliguy wrote: Minolta made a lot of good glass both AF and MF. Was wondering what the ultimate top 10 list of Minolta lenses would be. I have the Minolta 50mm f1.4 that should surely make the list, it's my fave legacy lens. I'm not very familiar with the entire product family. What's your Minolta top 10?

Well one tends to be reticent about talking up lenses that you might buy some day. Would just as soon people continue to think that the Minolta AF 50/1.7 is a terrible lens...because look how bad it is at precisely f/1.7 all over, and still bad in the extreme corners wider than F/3.2. Considering that my copy (that someone gave me for nothing) took a short roll on the sidewalk yesterday. Wondering if it's worse for wear/bears replacement.

havoc315 wrote: I was shooting with the 50-1.7 last night. Rarely use it, but giving it a second look with the a99.

It is capable of good shots and a great value for $60-$80. But it is not a particularly good lens.

So true.

Need to stop it down just to get acceptable sharpness.

Yes, was forced all the way down to F/2.2 today for this one.

Bad contrast. For a prime, it has a lot distortion.

First time have heard of 0.4% as "a lot of distortion." Can you link us to sub-$1000-dollar 50mm F/1.7 fixed-focal length full frame lenses with significantly less?

While we're at it, would pity owners of the Minolta AF 85/1.4's bad corner resolution wide open.

Your picture is a good example though full resolution would be better. Poor contrast and soft through out the frame even at 2.2.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads