Underwhelmed by SD1M

Started Apr 17, 2012 | Discussions
Jaelkay
Senior MemberPosts: 2,243
Like?
Underwhelmed by SD1M
Apr 17, 2012

SD1M arrived yesterday and not terribly impressed with quality of images.

When the images are first being opened in SPP, they look fine but after the RAW is fully loaded, there is something of a "flick" and sharpness disappears, exposure goes into over drive (overexposed), contrast disappears - in fact, the image now looks dreadful requiring quite some work to get it back to what it looked like when initially being loaded.

I'm shooting RAW in Neutral mode. Tried Standard mode only to have major colour shift in the images requiring too much post processing to get back to acceptable.

I've tried a number of lenses (18-50mm f2.8 EX Macro, 17-70mm HSM OS, 50-150mm f2.8, 18-200mm OS) and none of them give me pictures anywhere nearly as sharp as what I get from the NEX 7 using its very ordinary kit lens.

My SD15 is producing images so much better than the SD1M.

I've just ordered a 17-50mm OS HSM to see if that might sort out some of the problems. Until then, I'll keep persevering.

SD1M

SD1M Crop

NEX 7

NEX 7 Crop

Sigma SD1 Sigma SD15 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
atom14
Senior MemberPosts: 1,295
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to Jaelkay, Apr 17, 2012

That is odd, Jaelkay. For me they load, there is something of a "flick" as well, and they jump crisply into focus.

This works with any of my (few to date) lenses, including the non-Sigma ones. These have an odd distribution of colours until the raw file is completely loaded, then Zap, and it's all normal.
atom14.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stansbca
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to Jaelkay, Apr 17, 2012

I am confused...the SD1 crop looks WAY better than the NEX-7. It's not even remotely close?

Jaelkay wrote:

SD1M arrived yesterday and not terribly impressed with quality of images.

When the images are first being opened in SPP, they look fine but after the RAW is fully loaded, there is something of a "flick" and sharpness disappears, exposure goes into over drive (overexposed), contrast disappears - in fact, the image now looks dreadful requiring quite some work to get it back to what it looked like when initially being loaded.

I'm shooting RAW in Neutral mode. Tried Standard mode only to have major colour shift in the images requiring too much post processing to get back to acceptable.

I've tried a number of lenses (18-50mm f2.8 EX Macro, 17-70mm HSM OS, 50-150mm f2.8, 18-200mm OS) and none of them give me pictures anywhere nearly as sharp as what I get from the NEX 7 using its very ordinary kit lens.

My SD15 is producing images so much better than the SD1M.

I've just ordered a 17-50mm OS HSM to see if that might sort out some of the problems. Until then, I'll keep persevering.

SD1M

SD1M Crop

NEX 7

NEX 7 Crop

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jaelkay
Senior MemberPosts: 2,243
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to atom14, Apr 17, 2012

Thanks for your response Atom. SPP crashes constantly too. I'm going to install SPP on one of my Apples this evening to see if there's a problem there.

Stan - In my eyes, the SD1M crop has really bad colour. There is even a green cast along the top of the hose on the fire-extinguisher.

I tried setting the camera at -2 sharpening as others have suggested but all I got was mush which could not be sharpened at all.

If there's a lemon in the bunch, I guarantee you I'll be the one to get it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark van Dam
Regular MemberPosts: 181
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to stansbca, Apr 17, 2012

I wonder if it's a colour management issue. What happens when you try loading any of the raw files floating around on the web or from this site's review? If they are also acting strange, then something is going on with your system. If not, maybe something is going on with your camera. I don't have an SD-1, but the raw samples I've loaded from the web have loaded without problem. They look pretty amazing in fact.
--
--Mark van Dam

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jaelkay
Senior MemberPosts: 2,243
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to Mark van Dam, Apr 17, 2012

Mark van Dam wrote:

I wonder if it's a colour management issue. What happens when you try loading any of the raw files floating around on the web or from this site's review? If they are also acting strange, then something is going on with your system. If not, maybe something is going on with your camera. I don't have an SD-1, but the raw samples I've loaded from the web have loaded without problem. They look pretty amazing in fact.
--
--Mark van Dam

Hi Mark

I've been impressed with what I've seen from others, hence my desire to get one of these cameras.

Having said that, I've tried processing on two desktop systems and a laptop (Windows 7 64bit) and the problem is consistent across all platforms.

I'm going to try on my Apple this evening which should sort out whether it's a Window's colour problem or not.

JK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brittonx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,383Gear list
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to stansbca, Apr 17, 2012

Looking at the exposure values for the two, the SD1M image is 1-stop more exposed than the NEX 7 shot. This would account for it looking blown out.
What metering mode were you using?

-- hide signature --
 brittonx's gear list:brittonx's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma SD1 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gary Dean Mercer Clark
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,170Gear list
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to Jaelkay, Apr 17, 2012

I think you need to give yourself some time to familiarize yourself with the SD1M. Try different meter patterns with the SD1M.

Jaelkay wrote:

SD1M arrived yesterday and not terribly impressed with quality of images.

When the images are first being opened in SPP, they look fine but after the RAW is fully loaded, there is something of a "flick" and sharpness disappears, exposure goes into over drive (overexposed), contrast disappears - in fact, the image now looks dreadful requiring quite some work to get it back to what it looked like when initially being loaded.

I'm shooting RAW in Neutral mode. Tried Standard mode only to have major colour shift in the images requiring too much post processing to get back to acceptable.

I've tried a number of lenses (18-50mm f2.8 EX Macro, 17-70mm HSM OS, 50-150mm f2.8, 18-200mm OS) and none of them give me pictures anywhere nearly as sharp as what I get from the NEX 7 using its very ordinary kit lens.

My SD15 is producing images so much better than the SD1M.

I've just ordered a 17-50mm OS HSM to see if that might sort out some of the problems. Until then, I'll keep persevering.

SD1M

SD1M Crop

NEX 7

NEX 7 Crop

-- hide signature --

Gary Mercer

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mostly Lurking
Senior MemberPosts: 2,103
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to Jaelkay, Apr 17, 2012

If you've used SPP from the same source on all the computers, it's possible that you got a bad copy of SPP.
--
William Wilgus

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jaelkay
Senior MemberPosts: 2,243
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to brittonx, Apr 17, 2012

brittonx wrote:

Looking at the exposure values for the two, the SD1M image is 1-stop more exposed than the NEX 7 shot. This would account for it looking blown out.
What metering mode were you using?

I think it was center area. I've not been able to get accurage metering at all with the SD1M. Guess I've been spoilt by Nikon metering.

I just tweaked the crop and broght it down by one stop and it looks a bit better but still misses the eye-cuttingly sharp output I was expecting.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jaelkay
Senior MemberPosts: 2,243
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to Mostly Lurking, Apr 17, 2012

Mostly Lurking wrote:

If you've used SPP from the same source on all the computers, it's possible that you got a bad copy of SPP.
--
William Wilgus

Yes - they are all from the same source. Hadn't thought of that, Wim. I'll uninstall and reinstall from the CD which came with the camera.

Such a pity that Adobe Photoshop CS5 cannot open the SD1M files.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brittonx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,383Gear list
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to Jaelkay, Apr 17, 2012

Jaelkay wrote:

brittonx wrote:

Looking at the exposure values for the two, the SD1M image is 1-stop more exposed than the NEX 7 shot. This would account for it looking blown out.
What metering mode were you using?

I think it was center area. I've not been able to get accurage metering at all with the SD1M. Guess I've been spoilt by Nikon metering.

I just tweaked the crop and broght it down by one stop and it looks a bit better but still misses the eye-cuttingly sharp output I was expecting.

Metering...

Try the Evaluative setting. If it's still over exposing then try setting -0.3 or -0.7 EV.

Sharpness...

I usually set the Luminance NR to the left-most position then I add sharpening in Lightroom. I've had some success adding sharpening in SPP itself but for real fine details it is better to add the sharpening in another program.

-- hide signature --
 brittonx's gear list:brittonx's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma SD1 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
billt1970
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to Jaelkay, Apr 17, 2012

Please don't be insulted with an obvioius question: Are your two desktop and laptop screens color calibrated? If so, what device/system are you using?

Also, SPP definitely processes SD1 and SD1M images differently than other X3F files. Just NOW for the first time I bothered to look at the online help for SPP. I searched on "SD1" and came up with a number of entries, and explanations for what appeared to be anomalies to me previously. What is the old saying, RTFM? Cleanly translated, "Read the Frig-in Manual!" I will eat the first humble pie on this one!! Check it out!

Best Regards,

BT

 billt1970's gear list:billt1970's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
colinbm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to billt1970, Apr 17, 2012

Get rid of it, I couldn't stand the the camera in the hands of a lemon. Keep the NEX & move on.
Col

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jaelkay
Senior MemberPosts: 2,243
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to billt1970, Apr 17, 2012

billt1970 wrote:

Please don't be insulted with an obvioius question: Are your two desktop and laptop screens color calibrated? If so, what device/system are you using?

Also, SPP definitely processes SD1 and SD1M images differently than other X3F files. Just NOW for the first time I bothered to look at the online help for SPP. I searched on "SD1" and came up with a number of entries, and explanations for what appeared to be anomalies to me previously. What is the old saying, RTFM? Cleanly translated, "Read the Frig-in Manual!" I will eat the first humble pie on this one!! Check it out!

Best Regards,

BT

Hi Bill

Not insulted at all. I have an Eizo 23" coloredge and a Dell 27". Both are calibrated using i1 iMatch. I try to remember to do that each month. The laptop is a Toshibe Tecra and is not calibrated but is normaly pretty good.

Ihave read the manual and have tried a few tips and tricks from others, none of which has given me a lot of comfort as yet. Perhaps when I get the new 17-50mm lens (purportedly a very good piece of kit), I'll be OK.

JK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jaelkay
Senior MemberPosts: 2,243
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to colinbm, Apr 17, 2012

colinbm wrote:

Get rid of it, I couldn't stand the the camera in the hands of a lemon. Keep the NEX & move on.
Col

Oh dear. The Grottie Yachtie is at his childish best - again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
colinbm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to Jaelkay, Apr 17, 2012

I didn't know the sailing magazines were next to the muscle men at the newsagent
Col

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jaelkay
Senior MemberPosts: 2,243
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to colinbm, Apr 17, 2012

colinbm wrote:

I didn't know the sailing magazines were next to the muscle men at the newsagent
Col

Hahahahaha. Sailing? Sailing? We refer to people who sail as WAFIs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SigmaChrome
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,058Gear list
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to Jaelkay, Apr 17, 2012

I think you're doing yourself and injustice if you don't try the SD1 with a really good prime, like the 70mm or 50mm f2.8 Macro, or maybe the 85mm f1.4, before you get the 17-50mm OS. Set yourself a benchmark for what the camera can achieve.

Just a thought.
--
Regards,

Vitée

Capture all the light and colour!

http://www.pbase.com/vitee/galleries

 SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD14 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
colinbm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219
Like?
Re: Underwhelmed by SD1M
In reply to Jaelkay, Apr 17, 2012

Jaelkay wrote:

colinbm wrote:

I didn't know the sailing magazines were next to the muscle men at the newsagent
Col

Hahahahaha. Sailing? Sailing? We refer to people who sail as WAFIs.

Thanks JailKid, Wafi is a Muslim boys name meaning God, Faithful, Truthful, Complete & Perfect
Col

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads