K-01 wins 2012 Red Dot Design Award

Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions
mgm2
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?
K-01 wins 2012 Red Dot Design Award
Apr 16, 2012

Well this is good news for Pentax and the K-01.

Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,481
Like?
Re: K-01 wins 2012 Red Dot Design Award
In reply to mgm2, Apr 16, 2012

What the heck is the "Red Dot Design Award," and could you provide a link? Whatever it is, I wonder if the award was based on aesthetics rather than usability, which seems to the main complaint of some of the camera's critics. Mind you, I am not one of those critics, having never held a K-01 in my hands.

Rob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mgm2
Like?
In reply to Robgo2, Apr 16, 2012

Google K-01 wins 2012 Red Dot design award.

DarylK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,552Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robgo2, Apr 16, 2012

See story on the pentaxforums(dot)com.

Robgo2 wrote:

What the heck is the "Red Dot Design Award," and could you provide a link? Whatever it is, I wonder if the award was based on aesthetics rather than usability, which seems to the main complaint of some of the camera's critics. Mind you, I am not one of those critics, having never held a K-01 in my hands.

Rob

-- hide signature --

Great photography is largely a matter of one's perspective, both visually and mentally.
Daryl

DarylK's gear list:DarylK's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +4 more
Paphios
Regular MemberPosts: 395
Like?
In reply to Robgo2, Apr 17, 2012

Red Dot Desgn Award is apparently a German award. I did find this in this article

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/pentax_k-01_wins_red_dot_design_award/

"Each year, products brought to market over the previous two years are judged on nine different design criteria, including degree of innovation, functionality, ergonomics, durability and ecological compatibility. "

PJ711
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
In reply to Paphios, Apr 17, 2012

cool.
i'm really enjoying mine.

Russ Houston
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,370Gear list
Like?
In reply to PJ711, Apr 17, 2012

PJ711 wrote:

cool.
i'm really enjoying mine.

Same here.

Russ Houston's gear list:Russ Houston's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,327Gear list
Like?
In reply to mgm2, Apr 17, 2012

Good new. "Award Winning Design", that's something Pentax can now advertize and it will certainly bring some people to at least look at it.

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +16 more
John Cal
Regular MemberPosts: 307Gear list
Like?
In reply to rogerstpierre, Apr 17, 2012

I do like the design look and the K0-1 takes great images, but the design should not be just about how a product looks, at least it shouldn't be in my book. Pentax made a great camera here, flawed by that shoddy SD rubber cover that opens just by looking at the camera, and no rear thumb grip, it is just too disappointing once you have the camera in your hand. Pentax should provide a free leather 'every ready' case with every unit to improve the ergonomics and help with these issues.

Designers band together when thing look dire for one of their own .... you know you have a poorly designed item when a product starts winning design awards!

I hope Pentax gets the future K0's right next time.

John Cal's gear list:John Cal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 +14 more
Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,071Gear list
Like?
In reply to John Cal, Apr 17, 2012

John Cal wrote:

Designers band together when thing look dire for one of their own .... you know you have a poorly designed item when a product starts winning design awards!

Lol! Especially design awards nobody's ever heard of...

-- hide signature --
Russ Houston
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,370Gear list
Like?

"Each year, products brought to market over the previous two years are judged on nine different design criteria, including degree of innovation, functionality, ergonomics , durability and ecological compatibility. "
--
Russ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rfortson/
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/russfortson
Even bad photography can be fun

Russ Houston's gear list:Russ Houston's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
mgm2
Like?

I'm impressed, you seem ro know more than these folks.."The Red Dot Design Award (styled "red dot design award") is an international product design prize awarded by the Design Zentrum Nordrhein Westfalen in Essen, Germany.[1] There are prize categories for product design, design agencies, and design concepts. Since 1955, designers and producers can apply for the prizes with the winners being presented in an annual ceremony. Winning products are presented in the Red Dot Design Museum on the premises of the historical Zollverein Coal Mine Industrial Complex in Essen. The Red Dot Design Award has more than 11,000 submissions from 61 countries".

mervis50
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?
Bold Statement

John Cal wrote:

That's a pretty bold statement, dude.

My K-01 felt a little strange at first, just like my new bike did. Then I got used to it.

Not perfect, but all in all, a great camera. Matches perfectly with the Limited primes.

http://k-01vancouver.tumblr.com/

-- hide signature --

Cheers from Vancouver, Canada

Katsura
Contributing MemberPosts: 581
Like?
Red Dot Design Award is a joke
In reply to mgm2, Apr 17, 2012

My old company had a coffee espresso machine that's awarded the Red Dot Award.

That think spends more time being fixed that it's being used.

Red Dot probably just mean - hey they hired a designer to do the exterior.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads