I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.

Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions
SamuelPhillipsPhotography
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
Re: I was yelled at for not using "L" glass.
In reply to nullvector, Nov 17, 2012

The worst I ever get is the occasional lecture, from a guy at my church, on why Zeiss lenses are better. I've found it's best to just not talk photography with him, because no matter what you may say, his opinion is better. He's one who subscribes to the "the lens makes the shot" mentality. I say that a good photographer can take an excellent photo no matter what medium is used. One of my favorite shots is from a busted old A530 P&S.

-- hide signature --

I love cameras of all shapes and sizes.

SamuelPhillipsPhotography's gear list:SamuelPhillipsPhotography's gear list
Canon PowerShot S200 Canon PowerShot S30 Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot A610 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC43 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Noogy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,477Gear list
Like?
In reply to nullvector, Nov 18, 2012

nullvector wrote:

So I'm at this car show this weekend with my Canon 7D, and 17-55 2.8 IS....and while innocently taking pictures of some cars, I hear some buffoon yell really loud "GET A BETTER LENS!".

I turn around to see what the commotion was, and here is this guy, looking right at me, with some sort of obvious and unexplained disdain for my equipment. It appears that he is holding a 5D of some variant, and a 24-70L.

I calmly said, "well, this lens is about a thousand bucks, so it can't be all that bad". I think he had clearly mistaken my lens for an 18-55, or something like that, and all he managed to stammer out was....."WELL ITS NOT AN L LENS".

All I could really do was say "it doesnt really matter", and walk off.

Anyone else had someone do this or something similar? My wife was dumbfounded by the rudeness of this individual, and I was just shocked at how uninformed this guy was.

Just thought it would be good to vent here, and see if anyone has any stories that are equally as outrageous.

I was yelled at because I was using an L lens on my 7D in Americana at Brand, Glendale.  When I asked the security guy who yelled at me, he said it's because I'm a pro photographer and thus I need a permit to shoot.  When I asked further why he thought I was a pro, he said "Well, you have a big camera and a lens with a red circle around it.  We were told those lenses are used by pros."  Yeah right!

-- hide signature --

JCC
"Photography is therapeutic."
http://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +9 more
netgarden
Forum ProPosts: 10,761Gear list
Like?
Try being a girl, lol....
In reply to carlk, Nov 18, 2012

I've once had a man try to grab my 500mm 1D4 gear and show me how to do the settings, assuming it must have been a mistake that I did have an L, because a girl just couldn't know how to shoot!!!!! I wish these big lenses were less conspicuous to the morons around here...;).

-- hide signature --
bronxbombers4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,750
Like?

nullvector wrote:

So I'm at this car show this weekend with my Canon 7D, and 17-55 2.8 IS....and while innocently taking pictures of some cars, I hear some buffoon yell really loud "GET A BETTER LENS!".

I turn around to see what the commotion was, and here is this guy, looking right at me, with some sort of obvious and unexplained disdain for my equipment. It appears that he is holding a 5D of some variant, and a 24-70L.

I calmly said, "well, this lens is about a thousand bucks, so it can't be all that bad". I think he had clearly mistaken my lens for an 18-55, or something like that, and all he managed to stammer out was....."WELL ITS NOT AN L LENS".

Anyone else had someone do this or something similar? My wife was dumbfounded by the rudeness of this individual, and I was just shocked at how uninformed this guy was.

Just thought it would be good to vent here, and see if anyone has any stories that are equally as outrageous.

Unless he had the 24-70 II I bet your 17-55 gives you sharper corner to corner than his 24-70, especially if he was using the 24-105 which is blurry on FF edges on teh wide side....

As for L lenses, sure many are nice, I have many, but that said, my Tamron 28-75 is sharper than all three 24-105L I tried. And I sold my 17-40L after trying a Tamron 17-50 2.8 non-VC. It really depends. OTOH the 70-300L is better than the tamron 70-300 vc or 70-300 IS non-L.  etc.

salamander1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016
Like?
what sets you apart from the crowd?

nullvector wrote:

an "L" lens will set you apart from the crowd. it's your cover letterto the world. a cover letter to every unknown canonite lurking  in the shadows. what a raging  bitch this guy must have been, though... lol! hahaha! you gotta laugh at this and not feel offended. it's hilarious.

brudy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,448Gear list
Like?
In reply to EvokeEmotion, Nov 18, 2012

EvokeEmotion wrote:

Canon straps DO suck.

Those straps come across as too branded for me, and I generally find them uncomfortable. It also reminds me of the guitar players who use the stock Fender straps. Doesn't mean anything to how well they can play or shoot at all, just looks too brand and comes off as green to me.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brudy

brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha 7R Canon EOS 7D
BRUCEK56
Contributing MemberPosts: 819Gear list
Like?
In reply to alien3333, Nov 18, 2012

.........I had taken portrait pictures of a friends 12 year old daughter. He absolutely loved them. He was shaking his head admiring them and said "Wow.......that CAMERA sure takes a good picture"

Without skipping a beat I said "Yeah.......Im glad I was there to watch it take the pictures!"

He paused a second looked at me and burst out laughing.......realizing what he had sad. We both had a good laugh!

-- hide signature --

BRUCEK56

BRUCEK56's gear list:BRUCEK56's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Dinsy
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
Tell him to get a life:
In reply to nullvector, Nov 19, 2012

nullvector wrote:

Good photography is 10% the equipment and 90% the photographer.

yokochanie
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
Ansel Adams didn't have an L lens either
In reply to Dinsy, Nov 19, 2012

Ansel Adams didn't have an L lens either...I rest my case.

HAbba
Contributing MemberPosts: 505Gear list
Like?
In reply to nullvector, Nov 19, 2012

I get the opposite - big camera, difficult to use (Canon 550D + 17-55).

Brought back memories:

Daniel: Miyagi. Hey, what kind of belt do you have?

Miyagi: Canvas. J.C. Penney. $3.98. You like?

Daniel: No, I meant...

Miyagi: In Okinawa, belt mean no need rope to hold up pants. Daniel-san, karate here. [taps his head] Karate here. [taps his heart] Karate never here. [points to his belt] Understand?

Daniel: I think so.

Hassan

HAbba's gear list:HAbba's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 650D Samsung NX100 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +3 more
ATR
ATR
Regular MemberPosts: 457
Like?
....Calvin didn't need L glass either!....
In reply to Dinsy, Nov 19, 2012

He did a great job!

mu55
Senior MemberPosts: 1,319Gear list
Like?
In reply to nullvector, Nov 20, 2012

i've sold so many high end cameras to people who don't know what an aperture is it's embarrassing.
they've got cash to burn and someone has told them to get a full frame camera with an "L" lens

your also at a car show... (ie. bogan magnet)

mu55's gear list:mu55's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +8 more
Paul McCarroll
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
In reply to nullvector, Nov 22, 2012

Less than believable situation.

If anyone ever mocks my gear, I simply point out it's far better than the guy holding it, but I enjoy what I do.

I'm content in myself.

Paul McCarroll's gear list:Paul McCarroll's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +1 more
rocky01
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
In reply to nullvector, Nov 24, 2012

Gearllust has legs that get up and walk around

Momotarou
Regular MemberPosts: 196
Like?
Re: New 24-70?

I do, but usually I am managing my 19 month old and do not want to keep grabbing for my camera, while also ensuring the kid stays in my grip lol.

Scott Larson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,278Gear list
Like?

The good thing (I guess) is no matter how much equipment you have, you'll still eventually have a stranger walk up to you and give you crazy advice.

At a basketball game a couple of years ago I started shooting with a 1D Mark III with a 300mm f2.8 and a 1D Mark IV with a 135mm f2. I was shooting from the stands behind the basket so the 135mm f2 is the perfect length and in this place you need to shoot at f2. You would think that much equipment would make any advice-giver back off. When I went down to shoot from the floor, I replaced the 135mm with the non-L 85mm f1.8 which works wonderfully at f2.

Apparently some guy was more interested in my lenses than the game. He came down asking what lens that was. I'm used to people asking "How many megapixels?" or "How many 'X' is that lens?" but this guy wanted to know specifically why I was using a non-L lens on my 1D. He was taken aback by my favorable opinion of the 85mm f1.8. He looked so shocked that at first I thought he was joking with me. No, he claimed to be "an accomplished nature photographer" and had been using "the Canon system" since the film days and asked why I didn't own the superior 85mm f1.2.

"I have one, the Mark II version. It's at home." Another look of disbelief. I tried and tried to explain to him that the AF motor in that lens is far too slow for sports but he simply wouldn't listen to me since an L lens can't be inferior in any way. He kept looking at that 85mm f1.8 on my 1D Mark IV as if I were desecrating the camera by screwing a Coke bottle to the lens mount.

I believe these people are victims of marketing. Maybe he was a great nature photographer and was unfamiliar with non-L lenses and assumed they were all bad lenses. At least he understood why I was shooting at f2.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +11 more
bronxbombers4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,750
Like?
I was yelled at FOR using "L" glass.
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,311Gear list
Like?
Re: I was yelled at FOR using "L" glass.
In reply to bronxbombers4, Nov 24, 2012

bronxbombers4 wrote:

For using it to feed to a polar bear :-):

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/12/polar-bear-at-a-german-zoo-gets-its-paws-on-a-canon-70-200mm-lens/

Should have used black glass

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +7 more
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,311Gear list
Like?
In reply to Scott Larson, Nov 24, 2012

Scott Larson wrote:

The good thing (I guess) is no matter how much equipment you have, you'll still eventually have a stranger walk up to you and give you crazy advice.

At a basketball game a couple of years ago I started shooting with a 1D Mark III with a 300mm f2.8 and a 1D Mark IV with a 135mm f2. I was shooting from the stands behind the basket so the 135mm f2 is the perfect length and in this place you need to shoot at f2. You would think that much equipment would make any advice-giver back off. When I went down to shoot from the floor, I replaced the 135mm with the non-L 85mm f1.8 which works wonderfully at f2.

Apparently some guy was more interested in my lenses than the game. He came down asking what lens that was. I'm used to people asking "How many megapixels?" or "How many 'X' is that lens?" but this guy wanted to know specifically why I was using a non-L lens on my 1D. He was taken aback by my favorable opinion of the 85mm f1.8. He looked so shocked that at first I thought he was joking with me. No, he claimed to be "an accomplished nature photographer" and had been using "the Canon system" since the film days and asked why I didn't own the superior 85mm f1.2.

"I have one, the Mark II version. It's at home." Another look of disbelief. I tried and tried to explain to him that the AF motor in that lens is far too slow for sports but he simply wouldn't listen to me since an L lens can't be inferior in any way. He kept looking at that 85mm f1.8 on my 1D Mark IV as if I were desecrating the camera by screwing a Coke bottle to the lens mount.

I believe these people are victims of marketing. Maybe he was a great nature photographer and was unfamiliar with non-L lenses and assumed they were all bad lenses. At least he understood why I was shooting at f2.

With the 5d3 with better hi iso, wouldn't the 70-200 f2.8 L come back into play?  Though less fps than 1d, I'd think the zooms flexibility would win over the prime setup from the baseline.  Of course the 1dx and 70-200 would be the big winner with a second body and a 300 for the long side

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +7 more
Scott Larson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,278Gear list
Like?
In reply to MAC, Nov 25, 2012

MAC wrote:

With the 5d3 with better hi iso, wouldn't the 70-200 f2.8 L come back into play?

I can always shoot f2 and get cleaner shots at a lower ISO with any camera. Why throw away a stop of light?

Also a 70-200mm f2.8 is a lot of weight. I use it mostly for volleyball but I switch to the 135mm f2 during the third set. I always get more great shots with the 135mm.

More importantly: backgrounds! One venue is small (not much larger than the basketball court) and tends to have distracting junk like ladders everywhere. I need to throw that stuff out of focus as best I can.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads