Pentax fa* 28-70

Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions
jonny1976
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,986
Like?
Pentax fa* 28-70
Apr 16, 2012

Is 600 euro a good price for this lens. I think would be nice for portraiture as 42 2,8 - 105 2,8 is much more useful than my DA*16-50.
what you think of this lens?

Msroberts
Contributing MemberPosts: 676
Like?
Re: Pentax fa* 28-70
In reply to jonny1976, Apr 16, 2012

jonny1976 wrote:

Is 600 euro a good price for this lens. I think would be nice for portraiture as 42 2,8 - 105 2,8 is much more useful than my DA*16-50.

Superb lens; one of Pentax's best ever. And 600 Euros is a steal if it's in good condition.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?
In reply to Msroberts, Apr 16, 2012

Hi,
Is it the 28-70 F2.8? if so it's the bargain of the year!!
--
Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +13 more
Jim King
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,549Gear list
Like?
In reply to Msroberts, Apr 16, 2012

Msroberts wrote:

Superb lens; one of Pentax's best ever. And 600 Euros is a steal if it's in good condition.

What he said!

I paid $1200 for my (used but mint) copy over 5 years ago.
--
Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -4h (EDT)
Pentaxian for over 50 years.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

• Sir Winston Churchill

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

• Albert Einstein

Jim King's gear list:Jim King's gear list
Leica M9 Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Pentax K-5 IIs +4 more
kikivrany
Senior MemberPosts: 2,716
Like?
In reply to jonny1976, Apr 16, 2012

Hello jonny1976

It's like the others already sad: If the lens is in good condition...run and buy it

It's always the best thing to test a lens itself. And I don't think you lost any money if you (maybe) sell it again.

To the lens. I have one since 1 1/2 year and realy like it.

What I would point out beside the very good IQ of this Zoom lens:

• it have a fast and snappy AF ( even on my old ist DS this lens have a fast AF speed)

• the rotating front element makes the use of a Pol-filter not very easy

• full open (f2.8) and only @ 70mm the sharpness of my copy is a little soft. But that softness is gone at once if I stop down the lens a little bit.

best regards kikivrany
--
carpe noctem

janneman02
Forum ProPosts: 15,722Gear list
Like?
even if not mint
In reply to Jim King, Apr 16, 2012

Jim King wrote:

Msroberts wrote:

What he said!

I paid $1200 for my (used but mint) copy over 5 years ago.

Most likely failure is the missing black rectangle (which I miss on my copy) , may not affect the use of the lens at all, probably will not although it may indicate more

-- hide signature --

The difference between genius and LBA is that genius has its
limits.

• Janneman ( adaptation of the Kings quote from Albert Einstein)

jonny1976
Like?
In reply to DAVID MANZE, Apr 16, 2012

yes is the star zoom.

lens is mint i think 99% clean glass a micro mark difficult to see even under the light.
body seems free of scratch and function are smooth,

price startd 650 he told me i can give u at 600 maybe i copuld go down a bit. tomorrow i go to try it with my k5.

id like to have it for portraiture session, i think is the best compromise between both the da+ i have and most of all i want use it with micro third camera and tilt adapter thanks to aperture ring,.

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Hi,
Is it the 28-70 F2.8? if so it's the bargain of the year!!
--
Dave's clichés

jonny1976
Like?
In reply to Msroberts, Apr 17, 2012

i come back today tried it love it and bought it.
600 euro. 98% mint i d say.

dont' know if i ll keep or sell but is a superb lens. i wish all the DA* were made the same way

Msroberts wrote:

jonny1976 wrote:

-- hide signature --
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,466Gear list
Like?
In reply to jonny1976, Apr 17, 2012

jonny1976 wrote:

dont' know if i ll keep or sell but is a superb lens. i wish all the DA* were made the same way

Is the Pz switch still attached this was the Achilles heal of this lens .?

Msroberts wrote:

jonny1976 wrote:

-- hide signature --
 awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
jonny1976
Like?
In reply to awaldram, Apr 17, 2012

yes power zoom works great and i love this feature..superb idea.

awaldram wrote:

jonny1976 wrote:

Msroberts wrote:

jonny1976 wrote:

-- hide signature --
awaldram
Like?
In reply to jonny1976, Apr 18, 2012

Don't forget to post some images.

Were only slightly green with jealousy at the moment

Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
pcarfan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,807
Like?

It really is an excellent lens (My favorite FA* of the three I've tried...FA*24/2 and FA*80-200/2.8). It's heavy and huge with the lens hood. It also extends while zooming. But IQ is excellent, heaps of contrast. It doesn't let a whole lot of light and at times with the size you'd wonder whether it's worth it. But overall an excellent lens and you bought it an an absolutely incredible price.
--

[url= http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2323984&subSubSection=0&language=EN]MY PPG[ url]
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

Katsura
Contributing MemberPosts: 581
Like?
Pros and Cons

Optically it is 'good to very good'.

It's weaker at the tele end. 70mm is quite soft fully open. Need to stop down to f4.0 or smaller to become decent. (Compared to Tamron 28-75).

The wide end is very good from the let go. I have no reservation using f2.8 at the wider end.

Colour rendition is beautiful, and contrast is great. Bokeh is lovely. Those are the main reasons I prefer it to the Tamron A09.

However, Mechanically it is terrible - extending barrel during zoom and focusing, the barrel also rotates when focusing, meaning the use of a CPR is going to be troublesome.

It is also BIG and heavy. the PZ functions are crippled on the recent DSLR bodies so not really useful.

The Titanium paint chips easily.

I still like it very much, but I also get very frustrated with it.

I would like Pentax to do a modern re-boot of this lens - lighten the weight and put it on a diet for weight, WR proof it, and improve the telephoto slightly, then it would be a 5 star lens. Currently I rate it 3 and half.

jonny1976
Like?
Re: Pros and Cons
In reply to Katsura, Apr 18, 2012

personally i love everything from iq to finish to building and power zoom!

yes a bit soft at 70 2,8 but nice softness, for the rest on par with the 16-50 with better micro contrast and corner and far less ca. i have bought a canon adapter and i will try it with 5d2.

Katsura wrote:

It's weaker at the tele end. 70mm is quite soft fully open. Need to stop down to f4.0 or smaller to become decent. (Compared to Tamron 28-75).

The wide end is very good from the let go. I have no reservation using f2.8 at the wider end.

Colour rendition is beautiful, and contrast is great. Bokeh is lovely. Those are the main reasons I prefer it to the Tamron A09.

However, Mechanically it is terrible - extending barrel during zoom and focusing, the barrel also rotates when focusing, meaning the use of a CPR is going to be troublesome.

It is also BIG and heavy. the PZ functions are crippled on the recent DSLR bodies so not really useful.

I would like Pentax to do a modern re-boot of this lens - lighten the weight and put it on a diet for weight, WR proof it, and improve the telephoto slightly, then it would be a 5 star lens. Currently I rate it 3 and half.

janneman02
Forum ProPosts: 15,722Gear list
Like?
In reply to Katsura, Apr 18, 2012

Katsura wrote:

Powerzoom itsself still works, it is a few extra function that dont work anymore
but those are the function that you have the rectangulat Pz switch for

awaldram wrote:

so loosing that is not too bug a deal, unless you acquire the Pz1-P

Not even sure what those functions are as the powerzoom ( zooming with a small twist of the wrist) is good enough for me.
One disadvantage, it drains energy..

And it is the powerzoom feature that makes it ideal for DIY sealing, we all know the trick of a plastic bag taped around your kit. But it often is a hassle to use the zoomring because of the bag. Much easier to use the powerzoom ring through the plastic.

-- hide signature --

limits.

Katsura
Contributing MemberPosts: 581
Like?
You like that finish do you?

Then wait and see how easily it is scratched :).
I think I only looked at it last time, and it started chipping

Also keep an eye on the PZ switch - when ppl say it breaks, they mean literally the black plastic falls out.

As for why PowerZoom is crippled, have a read on how PZ-1 and other old film bodies handle the Power zoom feature. and you will see on DSLR bodies it's rather pointless (compared tot he intended full feature)

awaldram
Like?
In reply to janneman02, Apr 19, 2012

janneman02 wrote:

Katsura wrote:

Powerzoom itsself still works, it is a few extra function that dont work anymore
but those are the function that you have the rectangulat Pz switch for

awaldram wrote:

so loosing that is not too bug a deal, unless you acquire the Pz1-P

Not even sure what those functions are as the powerzoom ( zooming with a small twist of the wrist) is good enough for me.

1 Auto zoom return on switch off
2 Constant target size
3 Power zooming

With SDM cameras you should get 1 and 3 the switch activates target zoom tracking and as you say is a mute point for the SDM cameras as its not supported.

I'd want it present though on any lens I paid more than a couple of quid for.

-- hide signature --

limits.

Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 26,551Gear list
Like?
A bargain, one of Pentax's best - sample images
In reply to Katsura, Apr 19, 2012

Katsura wrote:

I had the FA*28-70 f2.8 and I agree with what you have written above, except I didn't find it soft wide open at 70mm, it was good but it did get better at f4, actually excellent. It is a gem of a lens.

I disagree with one thing here. The fact that the barrel extends during zooming is actually a good thing and the reason is that it retracts in at 70mm giving maximum hood effect and extends out when at 28mm so as not to cause vignetting by the hood, quite an ingenious system when you think about it.

The fact that it rotates is a pain if you use a polariser, but if you don't then it's not an issue. I rarely used a polariser.

I love the power zoom feature of this lens and also the FA*80-200 f2.8 that I had, both were gem lenses.

I would give it 4 to 4.5 stars for IQ and 3.5 for mechanical.

If it is in top condition, for 600 Euros it's an absolute bargain and I wouldn't walk but run and buy it! This lens and the FA*80-200 f2.8 were the last lenses that I sold off when I moved to Nikon and they were also part of the reasons why I hung on to Pentax so long.

Some samples:

-- hide signature --
 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads