The best camera ever.

Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions
Dylthedog
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?
Re: The best camera ever.
In reply to PhotoCycler, Apr 19, 2012

Personally I find the OP's picture far more attractive and interesting than this one:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2011/nov/12/worlds-most-expensive-photographs-in-pictures

Just goes to show there's no accounting for taste

PhotoCycler wrote:

When I saw the first post and picture, I assumed this had to be a joke.

The picture is terrible in many respects - I would have deleted it, or rather, not taken such a shot knowing this would be the result.

Amazing that some people are taking this seriously.

Dylthedog's gear list:Dylthedog's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ultimitsu
Senior MemberPosts: 5,232
Like?
In reply to Scrozzy, Apr 19, 2012

What is truly wrong with this forum is that this is a thread about a gear and a photo was post to give some indication as to the capability of that gear, and when this photo is way too small to show any resolution and way too overexposed to indicate the shooter is a competent photographer let alone can objectively review gear, only a couple of people would stand up and point that out, and well over half of the replies would attack those point out the elephant in the room!

If this thread was purely about who OP is enjoying his camera and loving his own photos, I dont think anyone would make those comments, but simply congratulate him for his purchase and the fun he is having. But that is not what this thread is about, is it? it is about "best camera ever" and a purported "review". To say in such discussions histograms are irrelevant is just exactly what is wrong with DPR forum today.

By the way, this photo is both over-exposed and showing exactly what 5D3 is lacking. Had 5D3 had D800's DR and this shot taken at 4 stops less, you'd get much less eye-hurting brightness in the background but still maintain the back-lit effect, and you still get the same amount of details in the children's face, resulting image would have been much more pleasing but captures the warmth just the same.

Scrozzy wrote:

filterman wrote:

This photo is way over exposed. Suggest checkinh histogram in your computer to sse what I mean.

filterman

Your reply typifies just about everything that is wrong with half the people on this forum.

tyb
tyb
Senior MemberPosts: 2,620Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alex Tempone, Apr 19, 2012

ROFL

A wonderful picture of a magical moment. IMHO I could have taken a simlar picture with my first DSLR D40

As to the the thread title, nothing in this picture demonstrates or even starts the discussion about the claim of best camera ever

Alex Tempone wrote:

Canon has to be commended. The 5D mkIII is without one of the best cameras I have held in my hands. My full review on my blog is coming soon. But for now one pick from this afternoon:

Love x
lekkerphoto.com

tyb's gear list:tyb's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +13 more
thanhuy
Regular MemberPosts: 288
Like?
In reply to Alex Tempone, Apr 20, 2012

I don't see any problem with this one. It's over expose but I like the it a lot. It's a matter of taste no need to have everything expose in between. No creative. I love this shot

Alex Tempone wrote:

Canon has to be commended. The 5D mkIII is without one of the best cameras I have held in my hands. My full review on my blog is coming soon. But for now one pick from this afternoon:

Love x
lekkerphoto.com

altair8800
Senior MemberPosts: 1,202
Like?
Re: It's not overexposed by more than two stops
In reply to iwannabesedated, Apr 20, 2012

iwannabesedated wrote:

cs hauser wrote:

Just because it has blown highlights, doesn't mean it's "overexposed".

Yes, and who needs those pesky shadow tones either? It's a masterpiece! -iwbs

Someone with a D800 could never hope to produce such a masterpiece!

Dan

iwannabesedated
Contributing MemberPosts: 803
Like?
Re: It's not overexposed by more than two stops
In reply to altair8800, Apr 20, 2012

altair8800 wrote:

iwannabesedated wrote:

cs hauser wrote:

Just because it has blown highlights, doesn't mean it's "overexposed".

Yes, and who needs those pesky shadow tones either? It's a masterpiece! -iwbs

Someone with a D800 could never hope to produce such a masterpiece!

Indeed, that would be unthinkable. -iwbs

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,417Gear list
Like?
Re: I like your picture and I don't like all the negative comments :)
In reply to Press Correspondent, Apr 20, 2012

Good post.

There definitely needs to be a level of technical profiency to impact on the audience.

What that level is may vary from audience to audience. Certainly presenting an image to a group of experts will require more technical proficiency to get the emotional response the photographer wants to achieve.

I also do astrophotography which is a very technically oriented game where you are as much a technician in handling all the gear and getting it tuned and working perfectly as you are an artist.

I'd call it myself a technical art.

Greg.

Frank C.
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,439
Like?
Re: nice...er... picture?
In reply to Alex Tempone, Apr 20, 2012

and hello mr. yellow dot !

Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,342Gear list
Like?
In reply to jayphotoworks, Apr 20, 2012

jayphotoworks wrote:

Why can a lawnmower not be considered a musical instrument?

Good luck selling tickets to that concert! But forget music, this is a photography forum. Why don't you take pictures with your lawnmover? LOL

Here in Toronto, every year we have an overnight outdoor art event in which many artists express themselves using non-traditional forms of media.

And I bet some if not most of them are quite profissient at what they do and their craft makes a good impression thus qualifying for art. It is not about the media, but about impression. In fact photography is unique in allowing people create art with least effort. You do not need a brush or a paint, just push a button, the camera does it for you. So does every picture taken qualify to be art? If you said so you would simply degrade the definition of art down to everyday expression. Then this post is also a poem. Photography is so attractive, because it often lets people create art by accident capturing beauty with a camera, often just a digicam with little to no effort. This is why it is so pathetic when people create crap with expensive professional equipment and it is laughable when others call it art only because someone pushed a button even without aiming.

Just because we can't appreciate a particular form of art, doesn't neccessarily render it "crap."

Yes, but this is different from when we indeed can clearly appreciate it as definite crap. Again, it is about the impression. Sometimes you look and don't know what to make of it. Often there is a learning curve involved for proper appreciation. But anyone can see crap right away.

Some people enjoy delivering an end-result that satisfies the status quo, while others enjoy pushing the envelope.

Some restaurants deliver conventional food. Some push the envelope. It still does not mean that crap is food. Or art.

Your attempt to quantify personal taste or attempting to pigeon-hole what is considered art is entirely unconvincing.

It is only unconvincing to those who can't tell the difference between art and crap But most people can.

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
JoeR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,952Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alex Tempone, Apr 21, 2012
-- hide signature --

Actually, the best camera hasn't been made yet. They are all flawed in some respect.

joer56
http://www.pbase.com/joer

JoeR's gear list:JoeR's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
iwannabesedated
Contributing MemberPosts: 803
Like?
Re: nice...er... picture?
In reply to Frank C., Apr 21, 2012

Frank C. wrote:

and hello mr. yellow dot !

At first I thought it was an example of the special "sparkle" capabilities we've heard so much about. You know, like a sparkling yellow booger. -iwbs

studio311
Contributing MemberPosts: 553
Like?

Then you desperately need to re-calibrate.

Alex Tempone wrote:

Just had a fresh calibration on a 1 month old Dell 27" (U2711) ultrasharp display, no overexposure here, just gorgeous warmth from the sun captured in exquisite detail by the 5D mkIII. I suggest checking yours.

studio311
Contributing MemberPosts: 553
Like?
In reply to thanhuy, Apr 21, 2012

Thanhuy....I agree, but it's also over exposed.

thanhuy wrote:

I don't see any problem with this one. It's over expose but I like the it a lot. It's a matter of taste no need to have everything expose in between. No creative. I love this shot

Alex Tempone wrote:

Love x
lekkerphoto.com

oysso
Regular MemberPosts: 469
Like?
In reply to JoeR, Apr 21, 2012

JoeR wrote:

-- hide signature --

Actually, the best camera hasn't been made yet. They are all flawed in some respect.

joer56
http://www.pbase.com/joer

it depends if the headline means 'till now'.....
or until eternity .......

even cameras with flaws can be better than other cameras....
so it can be best...

flawless cameras will never happen. only in ones imagination....

frederic fahraeus
Contributing MemberPosts: 504
Like?

Could be, but your picture makes it look like a nightmare.

Osiris Ani
Senior MemberPosts: 1,125Gear list
Like?
In reply to ultimitsu, Apr 21, 2012

this shot taken at 4 stops less

...wouldn't really have been what the OP wanted at all, which is the point that you've missed.

-- hide signature --

'Passion will make you crazy, but is there any other way to live?' —Kara Saun

http://www.oqlus.com/

Osiris Ani's gear list:Osiris Ani's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
Osiris Ani
Senior MemberPosts: 1,125Gear list
Like?
In reply to Press Correspondent, Apr 21, 2012

Not every sound is music, no matter your taste. There is a theory of music that gives a tremendous creative freedom to a musician, but still does not consider a lawnmover a musical instrument.

My favorite band is Einstürzende Neubauten, which has thus led me to entirely dismiss your opinion, out of hand. Every sound can be music (great music, even) simply because appreciation of art is wholly subjective.

-- hide signature --

'Passion will make you crazy, but is there any other way to live?' —Kara Saun

http://www.oqlus.com/

Osiris Ani's gear list:Osiris Ani's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
AOKH
Senior MemberPosts: 2,468Gear list
Like?
In reply to Osiris Ani, Apr 21, 2012

Wow! That made my collection of extreme metal seem dull and ordinary by comparison. Not my cup of tea, but long live diversity!

Osiris Ani wrote:

My favorite band is Einstürzende Neubauten, which has thus led me to entirely dismiss your opinion, out of hand. Every sound can be music (great music, even) simply because appreciation of art is wholly subjective.

AOKH's gear list:AOKH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +14 more
Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,342Gear list
Like?
How many beers did he have ;)
In reply to Sperho, Apr 21, 2012

Sperho wrote:

Wow. Arguing/nitpicking over a truly subjective matter. Ridiculously hilarious and hilariously ridiculous.

All it takes for a thread to hit the roof is for some troubled soul to post a bad picture unrelated to the thread subject. Then one half screams it's a personal taste and the other argues that photographic techniques like exposure, contrast, flare control and composition are not a subjective matter.

I think he just feels the need to justify his expense for the camera he can't use or make money with as it is painfully obvious by glancing at his website.

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
jackpro
Regular MemberPosts: 367Gear list
Like?
Re: How many beers did he have ;)
In reply to Press Correspondent, Apr 21, 2012

Press Correspondent wrote:

Sperho wrote:

Wow. Arguing/nitpicking over a truly subjective matter. Ridiculously hilarious and hilariously ridiculous.

All it takes for a thread to hit the roof is for some troubled soul to post a bad picture unrelated to the thread subject. Then one half screams it's a personal taste and the other argues that photographic techniques like exposure, contrast, flare control and composition are not a subjective matter.

I think he just feels the need to justify his expense for the camera he can't use or make money with as it is painfully obvious by glancing at his website.

They look about as good as your photos LOL

jackpro's gear list:jackpro's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads