The best camera ever.

Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions
Alex Tempone
Regular MemberPosts: 299Gear list
Like?
The best camera ever.
Apr 16, 2012

Canon has to be commended. The 5D mkIII is without one of the best cameras I have held in my hands. My full review on my blog is coming soon. But for now one pick from this afternoon:

Love x
lekkerphoto.com

Alex Tempone's gear list:Alex Tempone's gear list
Leica M9
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
filterman
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?
Re: The best camera ever.
In reply to Alex Tempone, Apr 16, 2012

This photo is way over exposed. Suggest checkinh histogram in your computer to sse what I mean.

filterman

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alex Tempone
Like?
In reply to filterman, Apr 16, 2012

Just had a fresh calibration on a 1 month old Dell 27" (U2711) ultrasharp display, no overexposure here, just gorgeous warmth from the sun captured in exquisite detail by the 5D mkIII. I suggest checking yours.

Leica M9
Pedro Moreira
Regular MemberPosts: 231Gear list
Like?

What a beautiful picture!!!

-- hide signature --
 Pedro Moreira's gear list:Pedro Moreira's gear list
Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM +2 more
schmegg
schmegg MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 4,970
Like?

filterman wrote:

This photo is way over exposed. Suggest checkinh histogram in your computer to sse what I mean.

LOL! On the contrary, I'd suggest you have a rest from looking at the histogram, and just shoot images that look good.

This shot is very, very nice!

MajStriker
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?

Alex Tempone wrote:

Just had a fresh calibration on a 1 month old Dell 27" (U2711) ultrasharp display, no overexposure here, just gorgeous warmth from the sun captured in exquisite detail by the 5D mkIII. I suggest checking yours.

This is merely a matter of taste. Some people like the sunburst look in the photo and some don't. It's not so much a matter of overexposure as it was a conscious decision to shoot into the sun.. I personally don't care for the look but I know lots of people that do. You've executed the effect well enough for this type of photo.
--
http://www.photopurity.com

iwannabesedated
Contributing MemberPosts: 868Gear list
Like?

filterman wrote:

Very nice subjects, but I agree with you. On my monitor, the photo looks at least 1 full stop overexposed.

I know we're all excited about our new cameras, but to pronounce every output of the 5D3 (or D800 or whatever) as spectacular gets us nowhere, and speaks poorly of our objectivity.

Again, I very much like the underlying aesthetics of the OP's photograph, but believe it is painfully overexposed. Regards. -iwbs

facedodge
Regular MemberPosts: 306Gear list
Like?

I love mine as well. So much fun to shoot with. Exposure can certainly be 'Al Dente'. I mean, look at all the lens flare photos recently. I take shots into the sun on purpose regularly.

If the photo conveys the feeling you want, it's done. Nice capture.

facedodge's gear list:facedodge's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
iwannabesedated
Contributing MemberPosts: 868Gear list
Like?

Alex Tempone wrote:

In Photoshop, the (device independent) histogram for your image shows that darker blacks are completely absent, and highlights are severely blown. This corresponds well with what I see on my montior. Even moving the left slider to the right a bit would help. Regards. -iwbs

Dylthedog
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?
It's referred to as 'high key'

...and I for one think it has been done very well in this shot

I'm enjoying mine to - it's everything I ever wanted in a camera. Oh, apart from AF with video

filterman wrote:

filterman

Dylthedog's gear list:Dylthedog's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,040
Like?
LOL

Well, I guess it's a fun photo, although overexposed and with compositional issues. But that's not the problem. When you pronounce a camera the best ever you'd better be prepared to take a hit - it's like the old movies when the guy sticks his chin out and says "take your best shot," and ends up on the floor.

So, kind of sorry, but you did stick your chin out

Alex Tempone wrote:

Canon has to be commended. The 5D mkIII is without one of the best cameras I have held in my hands. My full review on my blog is coming soon. But for now one pick from this afternoon:

Love x
lekkerphoto.com

Steve Ives
Senior MemberPosts: 1,283
Like?
In reply to schmegg, Apr 16, 2012

schmegg wrote:

filterman wrote:

LOL! On the contrary, I'd suggest you have a rest from looking at the histogram, and just shoot images that look good.

This shot is very, very nice!

This is DPReview! You don't need to look at some picture to see if it's a good photo, Just check the make & model of camera, lens, pixel pitch of the sensor, photon energy levels and DXOmark's score!

Blimey, if people looked at photos to check the IQ of a camera, there'd be no discussion here at all.

Steve

Alex Tempone
Like?
Re: LOL
In reply to tko, Apr 16, 2012

P.S. Buddy - full review coming soon. this is merely a sneak peak. sort of like a warm up to a boxing match before I knock you the f$ k out.

Leica M9
Alex Tempone
Like?

I should advise. Grain of salt. Take it.

Leica M9
24Peter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,989
Like?

Alex - glad you like your new camera. And while the subjects of your photo are truly adorable, the photo clearlyy shows it takes more than the best camera ever to make the best photo ever. This a good photo that could be better.
--
View my photo galleries here: http://imageevent.com/24peter
Model Mayhem: http://www.modelmayhem.com/93181

Scrozzy
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?

filterman wrote:

filterman

Your reply typifies just about everything that is wrong with half the people on this forum.

Scrozzy's gear list:Scrozzy's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +1 more
lownine
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,032
Like?
LOL, then not, then staring mouth agape

Alex Tempone wrote:

P.S. Buddy - full review coming soon. this is merely a sneak peak. sort of like a warm up to a boxing match before I knock you the f$ k out.

Wow!!!

Well, I guess you've got us right where you want us, you old sandbagger you.

Stu

dominikov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,062Gear list
Like?

Alex Tempone wrote:

Alex, I have the same monitor. Everyone's taste will vary of course and all that matters is that it reflects what you intended because you're the photographer.

To my eye a curves adjustment pulled back to 0.6 makes it look a little less washed out and improves contrast in the subject, but if that's not your intention then it doesn't matter what we think.

Glad you're enjoying your new camera.

dominikov's gear list:dominikov's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +3 more
cs hauser
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
It's not overexposed
In reply to tko, Apr 16, 2012

tko wrote:

Well, I guess it's a fun photo, although overexposed and with compositional issues. But that's not the problem. When you pronounce a camera the best ever you'd better be prepared to take a hit - it's like the old movies when the guy sticks his chin out and says "take your best shot," and ends up on the floor.

It's not "overexposed" if it's exposed precisely the way the photographer intended. Just because it has blown highlights, doesn't mean it's "overexposed".

Alex Tempone
Like?
indeed. indeed indeed.
In reply to lownine, Apr 16, 2012

indeed. indeed indeed.

Leica M9
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads