NEX7 - underexposed at EV0

Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions
Sagiluck
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
NEX7 - underexposed at EV0
Apr 16, 2012

Hey guys

Not sure whether mine is bugged or what, basically my nex 7 underexposed in both daylight and indoor(worse) with EV0. Also they look tad brighter on the LCD/EVF compared to my laptop screen and Dell U2311H.

now I've got to set my EVF and LCD brightness to lowest and with EV+0.3 to +0.7. almost forgotten to mention most are shot in JPEG mode.

Will be able to provide sample tonight when I got home.

Sagiluck's gear list:Sagiluck's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +2 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,977Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX7 - underexposed at EV0
In reply to Sagiluck, Apr 16, 2012

Though the 5n is known to always under expose by .3 EV, the problem is less pronounced on the 7. That said, on my Tokina 80-200, it actually over-exposes a tad, so it could be partly lens dependent.

But hey, that's what the EV compensation is for!

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,159
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, Apr 16, 2012

You are referring to out-of-camera jpegs here? Right?

1 stop off exposure would not matter much in RAW. But ooc jpegs are not the end of the world or the measure of the camera, are they?

baltimorecaesar
Regular MemberPosts: 273
Like?
In reply to uhligfd, Apr 16, 2012

My 7 seems to do the same thing, and I shoot RAW exclusively.

flint-hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,215
Like?
More details needed

In what mode are you shooting, P, A, S, M, etc? What metering mode are you using?

wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?
Re: More details needed
In reply to flint-hill, Apr 16, 2012

flint-hill wrote:

What metering mode are you using?

I have found thru past experience the metering mode can make a huge difference on over and under expose, i have used center exposure metering and the rest of my image was greatly over or under exposed.

What are you shooting, have you tried matrix for open landscape stuff ?

My Pentax K20D on the other hand must be set +.3 as the camera in general exposes on the - side so it does not blow highlights.

wll

Sagiluck
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Re: More details needed
In reply to flint-hill, Apr 16, 2012

flint-hill wrote:

In what mode are you shooting, P, A, S, M, etc? What metering mode are you using?

Aperture priority with multisegment metering

Sagiluck's gear list:Sagiluck's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +2 more
WhatNex
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?

Sagiluck wrote:

Hey guys

Not sure whether mine is bugged or what, basically my nex 7 underexposed in both daylight and indoor(worse) with EV0. Also they look tad brighter on the LCD/EVF compared to my laptop screen and Dell U2311H.

now I've got to set my EVF and LCD brightness to lowest and with EV+0.3 to +0.7. almost forgotten to mention most are shot in JPEG mode.

Will be able to provide sample tonight when I got home.

Yours is not a bug.

As least for me, I find that the Nex 7 always underexpose by at least 0.7EV to 1EV.

baltimorecaesar
Regular MemberPosts: 273
Like?
In reply to WhatNex, Apr 16, 2012

I shoot raw in manual only with use of primarily the EVF and center focus metering, but have tested out both multi and spot metering and get the same underexposure results with all manner of lenses in just about all lighting conditions. I'm just learning to live with it, especially considering I shoot in raw, and it is MUCH easier to bump up brightness in post and retain detail, than it is to have a camera that overexposes and blows out highlight detail that is permanently lost.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps this is some sort of "fail-safe" Sony built in to ensure image data isn't totally lost from improper exposure compensation settings. If that were the case however, then why don't they remove the under-exposure in M-mode, where presumably more experienced shooters will operate and such a "feature" is not wanted. Curious to say the least.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads