D800 - What are some good 3rd party lenses that will automatically focus with it?

Started Apr 15, 2012 | Discussions
JasonNunez
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
D800 - What are some good 3rd party lenses that will automatically focus with it?
Apr 15, 2012

I know I will probably hear from some folks telling me things like "If you can't afford Nikon lenses for your Nikon D800 then maybe you shouldn't be getting a Nikon D800." This is not the kind of advice I am looking for. I have seen people on this forum who currently own the D800 and have used 3rd party lenses, but what I would like to know is, as stated in the subject, which 3rd party lenses work best on the D800 and focus automatically?

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Shaun Bell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,255Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 - What are some good 3rd party lenses that will automatically focus with it?
In reply to JasonNunez, Apr 15, 2012

You get what you pay for. With a D800, cheap glass is really going to bite. I've found that most 3rd party glass that's any good cost close to what Nikon wants. And I"m not saying Nikon is always better, not at all. You need to research lens tests for your given needs. For instance. a Nikon 14-24 is as good as any wa prime I've owned. What type of photography do you do?

Shaun Bell's gear list:Shaun Bell's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D3X +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
m_appeal
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,434
Like?
Sigma 85 1.4 is quite a bit cheaper than Nikon 85 1.4
In reply to Shaun Bell, Apr 15, 2012

But it's not cheap glass...

kennyL
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
Re: D800 - What are some good 3rd party lenses that will automatically focus with it?
In reply to JasonNunez, Apr 15, 2012

The sigma primes are nice, I use the Sigma 50mm 1.4, I'm debating on purchasing the Sigma 85 1.4 or placing an order for the 85mm 1.8G.

The 2 sigmas I listed above have no issues autofocusing on the D800.

What lenses do you have? What gaps are you wanting to fill?

lanef
Forum ProPosts: 10,317
Like?
Re: Sigma 85 1.4 is quite a bit cheaper than Nikon 85 1.4
In reply to m_appeal, Apr 16, 2012

m_appeal wrote:

But it's not cheap glass...

Add to that bulky, bulbous, cumbersome and does not take filters; I decided to go with the 16-35 when I had to choose and mine is very sharp at both ends.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bingard/galleries
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38519080@N00/sets/72157594443652688/

hackney24
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
In reply to JasonNunez, Apr 16, 2012

If you have to go for third party lenses for your d800 i'd recommend... http://lenses.zeiss.com/photo/en_DE/home.html ; )

... but seriously, i know it's not what you want to hear but compromising on glass will not make the most of such a lovely sensor. If you are on a budget you'd be better selling the D800, buying a D700 and spending the rest on a couple of great lenses.

Investing in great glass is better than investing in a great body, the glass will last a lifetime whereas you'll probably want to trade your d800 in 2-3years. Ebay is a really good option if your willing to search regularly. I'd also recommend hiring some lenses and testing them for a day... you'll see the difference in image and build quality.

Best cheap lens i own:

Nikon 50m f1.4 - the older AFD lenses may be cheaper now. I use this on my d3 alot. Maybe consider the 50m f1.8 for an even cheaper deal.

Sorry i can't be more helpful.

m_appeal
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,434
Like?
Re: Sigma 85 1.4 is quite a bit cheaper than Nikon 85 1.4
In reply to lanef, Apr 16, 2012

The Sigma 85 1.4 takes filers... or are you talking about the Nikon 14-24 2.8?

bob elkind
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,802Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shaun Bell, Apr 16, 2012

Shaun Bell wrote:

You get what you pay for.

Sometimes, and sometimes this is not true. Bargains can often be found in computers, cell phones, automobile tires, and even camera lenses .

Some examples (none of which I have seen "tested" on a D800):

• Tamron 28-75/2.8 -- it's 1/3 the cost of a Nikon 24-70/2.8, but decently close in quality

• Nikon 50/1.4G and 85/1.8G -- inexpensive primes with excellent image quality

• Sigma 8-16mm DX lens -- arguably the best DX crop UWA lens, reasonable cost

• Tamron 90/2.8 macro lens -- a classic macro lens $450, after rebate

-- hide signature --

Bob Elkind

Family, mostly sports. Seriously, folks, I'm not that good. If I can do it, you can do it!
photo galleries at http://eteam.zenfolio.com
my relationship with my camera is strictly photonic

bob elkind's gear list:bob elkind's gear list
Nikon D700 Canon EOS 500D Nikon D600 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
JasonNunez
Like?
In reply to kennyL, Apr 16, 2012

kennyL wrote:

The sigma primes are nice, I use the Sigma 50mm 1.4, I'm debating on purchasing the Sigma 85 1.4 or placing an order for the 85mm 1.8G.

The 2 sigmas I listed above have no issues autofocusing on the D800.

What lenses do you have? What gaps are you wanting to fill?
--

Can I ask why you chose the Sigma 50mm 1.4 over the Nikon 50mm 1.4? Have you tried the Nikon? Do you consider the Sigma to be better all around. I actually had my mind set on getting a 3rd party 85mm 1.4 or something with a longer focal length. I currently own a Nikon 28mm f/2.8D, Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S, and a Nikon 70-300mm 4-5.6. I've been dying to get the Nikon 70-200 II, but it is way out of my price range at the moment. I'm currently looking to spend no more than $1,000 for a lens.

JasonNunez
Like?
In reply to hackney24, Apr 16, 2012

hackney24 wrote:

If you have to go for third party lenses for your d800 i'd recommend... http://lenses.zeiss.com/photo/en_DE/home.html ; )

... but seriously, i know it's not what you want to hear but compromising on glass will not make the most of such a lovely sensor. If you are on a budget you'd be better selling the D800, buying a D700 and spending the rest on a couple of great lenses.

Investing in great glass is better than investing in a great body, the glass will last a lifetime whereas you'll probably want to trade your d800 in 2-3years. Ebay is a really good option if your willing to search regularly. I'd also recommend hiring some lenses and testing them for a day... you'll see the difference in image and build quality.

Best cheap lens i own:

Nikon 50m f1.4 - the older AFD lenses may be cheaper now. I use this on my d3 alot. Maybe consider the 50m f1.8 for an even cheaper deal.

Sorry i can't be more helpful.

Thanks for the advice, actually owned a d700 for 2 years and I loved that lens every day that I owned it. I have always wanted to purchase a 70-200mm to use with that camera but it would just have taken me forever to save for it. The only reason I went with the D800 is because I was able to sell my D700 , plus one of my flashes, for $2500. This meant that I would of only had to put in an extra $500 for the D800 and still keep the lenses I currently own.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads