HS25

Started Apr 15, 2012 | Discussions
Greenjax
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
HS25
Apr 15, 2012

I just got my new HS25. I had been considering the HS20 but the 25 was just 49 dollars more and had the improved CMOS for more noise reduction. I've had it 3 days and I love it so far. I like the manual zoom. It feels more controllable than the power zoom on my last camera. Picture taking has been intuitive and every shot has been a keeper. The camera looks and feels like a much more expensive unit. Every surface is covered in rubber. The controls are precise. I like using AA batteries, so it was a natural for me. This is my 3rd Fuji.

Herman Dijkhuis
Contributing MemberPosts: 767
Like?
Re: HS25
In reply to Greenjax, Apr 15, 2012

Congratulations on your new gear!
I'm looking forward to purchase a HS30EXR.
--
Best regards, Herman
Twitter @hermandijkhuis

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greenjax
Like?
In reply to Herman Dijkhuis, Apr 15, 2012

Good choice. I love my 25 more each time I use it and the 30 is really the same camera with a bit extra.

alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,875Gear list
Like?
In reply to Greenjax, Apr 16, 2012

Personally, I would have gotten the HS20 because it offers RAW, but I hope you enjoy the camera. Based on a head to head comparison there is no real difference in noise at higher iso between the HS20 and the HS30, you may get a bit more DR (like half a stop) and you do get intelligent sharpening and intelligent digital zoom, so that might prove useful. I think all that can be obtained with the HS20 if you process from RAW but since the price isnt that different, then the HS25 is a viable option. Where did you purchase the camera from?
--
http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
alexisgreat
Like?
In reply to alexisgreat, Apr 16, 2012

Buydig, which seems to be the cheapest around, has HS30 for $438, the HS25 for $349 (both include 8GB card and carrying case) and the HS20 for $299
--

Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
Tim39
Senior MemberPosts: 2,879
Like?

I'd go the the 25 over the 30 in a heartbeat if it weren't for the vast disparity in EVF resolution.

alexisgreat wrote:

Buydig, which seems to be the cheapest around, has HS30 for $438, the HS25 for $349 (both include 8GB card and carrying case) and the HS20 for $299
--

-- hide signature --

Tim

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,732
Like?
In reply to Tim39, Apr 16, 2012

Tim39 wrote:

I'd go the the 25 over the 30 in a heartbeat if it weren't for the vast disparity in EVF resolution.

A lith ion battery makes the '30 a serious camera. AA batteries are inconvenient and a pain in the neck.

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Apr 16, 2012

Midwest wrote:

Tim39 wrote:

A lith ion battery makes the '30 a serious camera. AA batteries are inconvenient and a pain in the neck.

Do you put batteries in your neck? I had mine before a set of 4 in my pocket.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
jcmarfilph
Like?

Greenjax wrote:

I just got my new HS25. I had been considering the HS20 but the 25 was just 49 dollars more and had the improved CMOS for more noise reduction. I've had it 3 days and I love it so far. I like the manual zoom. It feels more controllable than the power zoom on my last camera. Picture taking has been intuitive and every shot has been a keeper. The camera looks and feels like a much more expensive unit. Every surface is covered in rubber. The controls are precise. I like using AA batteries, so it was a natural for me. This is my 3rd Fuji.

To clarify, HS25 has no Noise Reduction or Sharpness setting right?

If there is none, HS20 might have been a better buy. RAW will give you at least 1/2 stop advantage over JPEG especially when shooting high ISO. AF speed is not that greatly improved even on the HS30.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Tim39
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Apr 16, 2012

Exactly the way I always felt...until I got an HS20. I liked the heft they added, and since I'm not a high volume shooter, they lasted forever (or at least 30 days and still didn't need a charge).

Point's moot though, since I couldn't pass on the 30's EVF -- which offers 100% coverage and a resolution 4 1/2 times higher than the 25's.

Midwest wrote:

Tim39 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tim

alexisgreat
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, Apr 16, 2012

I think it has all of the HS30 features, minus the higher resolution EVF and no RAW. That no RAW option would be the dealbreaker for me, as I believe that half stop DR advantage that the HS25 would have can be regained with good RAW processing of an HS20 image, even with DR400 being used with both cameras.

About the AA batteries, I've gotten them to last 3 months and over 1000 shots, I dont use flash and I have IS set to shooting mode only and Single AF mode set.
--

glutamodo
Forum MemberPosts: 64Gear list
Like?

I've been waiting for a while for someone to report here on an HS25. I've found very little discussion of it online so far. For me, someone who never uses RAW, and seldom uses the EVF, I was interested in it. I've wanted a camera similar in form factor to my old S9100... I passed on the HS10 when it came out, and instead got a good used S100fs, which is a fine camera. Still, at times I find myself wanting something smaller like the S9100 but with better IQ and range, and AA batteries. When I heard about the HS25 I thought that might be it. Does it really have the upgrades of the HS30 minus RAW/EVF/battery... or is it just a rebranded HS20?

Anyway, thanks for posting and keep us informed as how it works for you.

glutamodo's gear list:glutamodo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix E550 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix S9100 Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm X-S1
Greenjax
Like?

I got the camera at Amazon. I consider myself just an advanced amateur and I have no interest in RAW. Plus I like AA batteries.

Greenjax
Like?
In reply to Tim39, Apr 16, 2012

I am happy with the EVF on the 25. I have no problem seeing and composing the shot.

Greenjax
Like?
In reply to glutamodo, Apr 16, 2012

Yes it has everything the 30 does except the advanced EVF and RAW and lithium batteries. It feels awesome in my hands and looks and feels expensive. Which I also like. I am not into post processing and really had no use for the RAW. For my purposes its perfect.

JonathanF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,389
Like?

Greenjax wrote:

I am happy with the EVF on the 25. I have no problem seeing and composing the shot.

Please NEVER pick up a XS-1 or HS30 if you want to remain happy with the HS25 EVF.

I used the EVF on my HS20 almost exclusively, and I always felt that I was just guessing on my framing.

Tim39
Like?

Good to know! Thanks for that info.

Greenjax wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tim

jcmarfilph
Like?

Greenjax wrote:

Yes it has everything the 30 does except the advanced EVF and RAW and lithium batteries. It feels awesome in my hands and looks and feels expensive. Which I also like. I am not into post processing and really had no use for the RAW. For my purposes its perfect.

If this is true then RAW is not anymore a deal breaker for me.

Can you post a comparison using low, mid, high of NR and Sharpness settings?

Thanks,

-=[ Joms ]=-

Greenjax
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, Apr 16, 2012

I'd like to, but I won't have the time for weeks. Sorry.

crazyman1234
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Greenjax, Dec 1, 2012

Greenjax wrote:

The Fujifilm HS25 has the photometry bar? (-2/-1/0/1/2 - like it : http://d1c6ohnho6h422.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/fotometria-01.jpg)

Thanks,

Crazyman1234

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads