HS25

Started Apr 15, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Greenjax Regular Member • Posts: 131
HS25

I just got my new HS25. I had been considering the HS20 but the 25 was just 49 dollars more and had the improved CMOS for more noise reduction. I've had it 3 days and I love it so far. I like the manual zoom. It feels more controllable than the power zoom on my last camera. Picture taking has been intuitive and every shot has been a keeper. The camera looks and feels like a much more expensive unit. Every surface is covered in rubber. The controls are precise. I like using AA batteries, so it was a natural for me. This is my 3rd Fuji.

Herman Dijkhuis Contributing Member • Posts: 818
Re: HS25

Congratulations on your new gear!
I'm looking forward to purchase a HS30EXR.
--
Best regards, Herman
Twitter @hermandijkhuis

Greenjax OP Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: HS25

Good choice. I love my 25 more each time I use it and the 30 is really the same camera with a bit extra.

alexisgreat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,459
Re: HS25

Personally, I would have gotten the HS20 because it offers RAW, but I hope you enjoy the camera. Based on a head to head comparison there is no real difference in noise at higher iso between the HS20 and the HS30, you may get a bit more DR (like half a stop) and you do get intelligent sharpening and intelligent digital zoom, so that might prove useful. I think all that can be obtained with the HS20 if you process from RAW but since the price isnt that different, then the HS25 is a viable option. Where did you purchase the camera from?
--
http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

 alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +3 more
alexisgreat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,459
Re: HS25

Buydig, which seems to be the cheapest around, has HS30 for $438, the HS25 for $349 (both include 8GB card and carrying case) and the HS20 for $299
--
http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

 alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +3 more
Tim39 Senior Member • Posts: 2,884
Re: HS25

I'd go the the 25 over the 30 in a heartbeat if it weren't for the vast disparity in EVF resolution.

alexisgreat wrote:

Buydig, which seems to be the cheapest around, has HS30 for $438, the HS25 for $349 (both include 8GB card and carrying case) and the HS20 for $299
--
http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

-- hide signature --

Tim

Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 16,097
Re: HS25

Tim39 wrote:

I'd go the the 25 over the 30 in a heartbeat if it weren't for the vast disparity in EVF resolution.

A lith ion battery makes the '30 a serious camera. AA batteries are inconvenient and a pain in the neck.

jcmarfilph Veteran Member • Posts: 7,592
Re: HS25

Midwest wrote:

Tim39 wrote:

I'd go the the 25 over the 30 in a heartbeat if it weren't for the vast disparity in EVF resolution.

A lith ion battery makes the '30 a serious camera. AA batteries are inconvenient and a pain in the neck.

Do you put batteries in your neck? I had mine before a set of 4 in my pocket.

-=[ Joms ]=-

 jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
jcmarfilph Veteran Member • Posts: 7,592
Re: HS25

Greenjax wrote:

I just got my new HS25. I had been considering the HS20 but the 25 was just 49 dollars more and had the improved CMOS for more noise reduction. I've had it 3 days and I love it so far. I like the manual zoom. It feels more controllable than the power zoom on my last camera. Picture taking has been intuitive and every shot has been a keeper. The camera looks and feels like a much more expensive unit. Every surface is covered in rubber. The controls are precise. I like using AA batteries, so it was a natural for me. This is my 3rd Fuji.

To clarify, HS25 has no Noise Reduction or Sharpness setting right?

If there is none, HS20 might have been a better buy. RAW will give you at least 1/2 stop advantage over JPEG especially when shooting high ISO. AF speed is not that greatly improved even on the HS30.

-=[ Joms ]=-

 jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Tim39 Senior Member • Posts: 2,884
Re: HS25

Exactly the way I always felt...until I got an HS20. I liked the heft they added, and since I'm not a high volume shooter, they lasted forever (or at least 30 days and still didn't need a charge).

Point's moot though, since I couldn't pass on the 30's EVF -- which offers 100% coverage and a resolution 4 1/2 times higher than the 25's.

Midwest wrote:

Tim39 wrote:

I'd go the the 25 over the 30 in a heartbeat if it weren't for the vast disparity in EVF resolution.

A lith ion battery makes the '30 a serious camera. AA batteries are inconvenient and a pain in the neck.

-- hide signature --

Tim

alexisgreat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,459
Re: HS25

I think it has all of the HS30 features, minus the higher resolution EVF and no RAW. That no RAW option would be the dealbreaker for me, as I believe that half stop DR advantage that the HS25 would have can be regained with good RAW processing of an HS20 image, even with DR400 being used with both cameras.

About the AA batteries, I've gotten them to last 3 months and over 1000 shots, I dont use flash and I have IS set to shooting mode only and Single AF mode set.
--
http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

 alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +3 more
glutamodo Forum Member • Posts: 65
Re: HS25

I've been waiting for a while for someone to report here on an HS25. I've found very little discussion of it online so far. For me, someone who never uses RAW, and seldom uses the EVF, I was interested in it. I've wanted a camera similar in form factor to my old S9100... I passed on the HS10 when it came out, and instead got a good used S100fs, which is a fine camera. Still, at times I find myself wanting something smaller like the S9100 but with better IQ and range, and AA batteries. When I heard about the HS25 I thought that might be it. Does it really have the upgrades of the HS30 minus RAW/EVF/battery... or is it just a rebranded HS20?

Anyway, thanks for posting and keep us informed as how it works for you.

 glutamodo's gear list:glutamodo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix E550 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix S9100 Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm X-S1
Greenjax OP Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: HS25

I got the camera at Amazon. I consider myself just an advanced amateur and I have no interest in RAW. Plus I like AA batteries.

Greenjax OP Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: HS25

I am happy with the EVF on the 25. I have no problem seeing and composing the shot.

Greenjax OP Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: HS25

Yes it has everything the 30 does except the advanced EVF and RAW and lithium batteries. It feels awesome in my hands and looks and feels expensive. Which I also like. I am not into post processing and really had no use for the RAW. For my purposes its perfect.

JonathanF Senior Member • Posts: 1,389
Re: HS25

Greenjax wrote:

I am happy with the EVF on the 25. I have no problem seeing and composing the shot.

Please NEVER pick up a XS-1 or HS30 if you want to remain happy with the HS25 EVF.

I used the EVF on my HS20 almost exclusively, and I always felt that I was just guessing on my framing.

Tim39 Senior Member • Posts: 2,884
Re: HS25

Good to know! Thanks for that info.

Greenjax wrote:

I am happy with the EVF on the 25. I have no problem seeing and composing the shot.

-- hide signature --

Tim

jcmarfilph Veteran Member • Posts: 7,592
Re: HS25

Greenjax wrote:

Yes it has everything the 30 does except the advanced EVF and RAW and lithium batteries. It feels awesome in my hands and looks and feels expensive. Which I also like. I am not into post processing and really had no use for the RAW. For my purposes its perfect.

If this is true then RAW is not anymore a deal breaker for me.

Can you post a comparison using low, mid, high of NR and Sharpness settings?

Thanks,

-=[ Joms ]=-

 jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Greenjax OP Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: HS25

I'd like to, but I won't have the time for weeks. Sorry.

crazyman1234 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: HS25

Greenjax wrote:

I just got my new HS25. I had been considering the HS20 but the 25 was just 49 dollars more and had the improved CMOS for more noise reduction. I've had it 3 days and I love it so far. I like the manual zoom. It feels more controllable than the power zoom on my last camera. Picture taking has been intuitive and every shot has been a keeper. The camera looks and feels like a much more expensive unit. Every surface is covered in rubber. The controls are precise. I like using AA batteries, so it was a natural for me. This is my 3rd Fuji.

The Fujifilm HS25 has the photometry bar? (-2/-1/0/1/2 - like it : http://d1c6ohnho6h422.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/fotometria-01.jpg)

Thanks,

Crazyman1234

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads