movie quality with D7000

Started Apr 14, 2012 | Discussions
Bennett Werner
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
movie quality with D7000
Apr 14, 2012

I just got my brand new D7000 today and I'm very happy with the still photo performance but every movie clip I've tried is distorted with pixelation or outright rippling. If I hold still and use outdoor light it's minimal but not a perfect video. Much worse in low light or if I pan. I have a class 10 30 mb/s card recommended by Nikon and I've tried 1080p 720p and 24 fps and 30 fps. Please say I'm doing something wrong! Do I have a manufacturing problem? Thanks!
--
BEWerner

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
IainD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,155
Like?
Re: movie quality with D7000
In reply to Bennett Werner, Apr 15, 2012

I have only used mine twice in a year, and then only on the max quality setting, but it is superb. Better than my HD camcorder. No pixellation at all.

No doubt you have tried the usual, with different lens and different ISO and exposure settings, but I would expect you would be pleased with it unless there is a specific fault.
Good luck!
IainD
PS could you post a clip and we could have a look?
I

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bennett Werner
Like?
In reply to IainD, Apr 15, 2012

Not sure how to upload a video file - the galleries require jpegs. My small, short video is 20 MB - any advice? Thanks!
--
BEWerner

Bennett Werner
Like?

I've uploaded a sample of the problem to YouTube. It's viewable at:
http://youtu.be/qaVKamkEUns

Thanks for any thoughts you may have. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if there is mechanical defect and should return the camera. Again, thanks for your help!
--
BEWerner

IainD
Like?

Hi, Bennett!

I see what you mean. I think you have a fault with your camera. Thanks for posting the link.
There are no adjustments I can suggest except...
Clean your contacts between lens and camera.

Try a different memory card. I would like to think the card is faulty rather than your lovely new camera. See if you can get hold of a new high quality high speed card and see what happens.
All the best. I hope the card fixes it!
IainD

LeftyAce
Regular MemberPosts: 288
Like?

That definitely looks like lost data, not a problem with the lens/camera interface. I would check a different (faster?) memory card first.

benjiross
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
In reply to LeftyAce, Apr 15, 2012

The D7000 occasionally hunts for focus on video.
But what is happening in your video is not normal.

How is LiveView when you simply have the camera on and are not recording? If this is normal it means your contacts, etc are probably normal.
Try a different card.
If still problematic, then contact Nikon.
It may be a good idea to contact Nikon with the video sample you have posted.

Bennett Werner
Like?
In reply to benjiross, Apr 15, 2012

Thanks, all, for your observations and advice! I'm using two brand new 32 GB Class 10, SanDisk Ultras (30 MB/s) SDHC cards just purchased with the camera because they are on Nikon's recommended card list. I tried switching them and both cards give the same result. I have sent the YouTube link to Nikon and initiated a service incident. With heavy heart, I think I'll have to return this particular camera but your help has been invaluable - Hopefully the replacement will produce lovely videos! Thanks so much! (BTW, live view seems to work fine and, as I was saying, the still photos are terrific and all I hoped they would be)
--
BEWerner

IainD
Like?

Good luck and sorry to hear of your disappointment. Thank goodness for warranty cover though.

David Grabowski
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,287
Like?

Just for the record I'm using a PNY 32gig Professional 20MBs, though rated for HD video ( what ever that means, sounds like hype). It works fine at any rate. Doesn't seem like the card would be your problem unless defective, but you say you have two. Seems unlikely both would be bad.

David

Bennett Werner wrote:

Thanks, all, for your observations and advice! I'm using two brand new 32 GB Class 10, SanDisk Ultras (30 MB/s) SDHC cards just purchased with the camera because they are on Nikon's recommended card list. I tried switching them and both cards give the same result. I have sent the YouTube link to Nikon and initiated a service incident. With heavy heart, I think I'll have to return this particular camera but your help has been invaluable - Hopefully the replacement will produce lovely videos! Thanks so much! (BTW, live view seems to work fine and, as I was saying, the still photos are terrific and all I hoped they would be)
--
BEWerner

Larold
Contributing MemberPosts: 749
Like?

One last suggestion: You need a fast computer to render these files. Although it seems like there is a camera problem, you mentioned that live view works fine. If you are referring to your video playback, then the files themselves might be fine, but your computer is too slow.

Worth a look into....

Good luck.
--
Larold

Bennett Werner
Like?
In reply to Larold, Apr 15, 2012

Thanks everyone. The computer speed is a nice thought but playback in the camera shows the same defect even though "live" live-view works! My only other question would be - does anyone think reinstalling the firmware would be of any value? The camera came with 1.02 and 1.03 (a&b) which appears to be current versions.
--
BEWerner

Larold
Contributing MemberPosts: 749
Like?

Ok. It's an internal problem then, unless you got the memory card on EBay, and it's a counterfeit. You should send the camera in for repair.

I hate when that happens!
--
Larold

JakeB
Contributing MemberPosts: 758Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bennett Werner, Apr 16, 2012

No, that's definitely not normal. I've had a D7000 for a year and I've never seen such results.

I know it's a hassle, but you're doing the right thing sending the camera back for repair or replacement. You'll enjoy it all the more knowing everything's working well.

It's a great camera, by the way. I've been very happy with it over the last year.

Hope everything works out well.

Bennett Werner wrote:

I just got my brand new D7000 today and I'm very happy with the still photo performance but every movie clip I've tried is distorted with pixelation or outright rippling. If I hold still and use outdoor light it's minimal but not a perfect video. Much worse in low light or if I pan. I have a class 10 30 mb/s card recommended by Nikon and I've tried 1080p 720p and 24 fps and 30 fps. Please say I'm doing something wrong! Do I have a manufacturing problem? Thanks!
--
BEWerner

JakeB's gear list:JakeB's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II
Bennett Werner
Like?
In reply to JakeB, Apr 16, 2012

Thanks everyone for your excellent advice and kind remarks. I packed her up and sent her back today but am hoping for a replacment D7000 within the next two weeks. Again, many thanks for your expertise and encouragment!
--
BEWerner

megthebest
Regular MemberPosts: 423Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bennett Werner, Apr 16, 2012

never experienced the faulty video with my sandisk 30Mb/sec and 45Mb/sec.

First try to format and use only 1 card with d7000 ... after new fault, consider to send to service!

Gook Luck

-- hide signature --

D7000 + Sigma 17-70 OS HSM + Nikkor 70-300 VR + AF-S 35 1.8G + Yongnuo YN-467 + Raynox DCR-250

megthebest's gear list:megthebest's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
tvnewsbadge
Contributing MemberPosts: 986
Like?
In reply to megthebest, Apr 17, 2012

Yeah, you got hosed... that camera is broken.

Before you send it out though, I'd try a smaller card, even if it's only class 6.

buz1984
Forum MemberPosts: 87
Like?
In reply to tvnewsbadge, Apr 17, 2012

There were heaps of fake Sandisks floating around a while back, so I agree that it's worth trying a different one.

axcentphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 609Gear list
Like?
In reply to buz1984, Apr 17, 2012

It will be a pain waiting for the new camera ( Nikon better give you a NEW one rather than 'fix" yours ) but it will be worth it. Have had mine for a year with no problems....Brent

axcentphoto's gear list:axcentphoto's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
justinday
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Similar Problem
In reply to axcentphoto, Apr 29, 2012

I've had my D7000 for almost a year now and I've noticed that my camera has just started doing something similar. Although, I get a lot of green in my pixelation. However, mine camera will only do it once the sensor has started to heat up somewhere around 8 minutes of recording. Of course this is a far less time than the 20 minutes continuous that Nikon says the D7000 is capable of. Once the camera reaches this point it won't even let me record video anymore at all. I know it's not the cards. This has become quite a problem since video is a big part of my paid work. I still have a month left on my warranty so I sent it in. I get my camera back next week.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads