Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?

Started Apr 14, 2012 | Discussions
Shaun432x
Regular MemberPosts: 351Gear list
Like?
Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?
Apr 14, 2012

I have read in the forums that Canon are three times the size of Nikon.

If Canon as a company are three times larger than Nikon, why don't they drastically drop their prices on DSLR's and lenses.

Then after a time when Nikon are bust, Canon can up their prices and charge what they want!

 Shaun432x's gear list:Shaun432x's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon Coolpix 8800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Nikon D60 +21 more
Major Major
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?
Re: Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?
In reply to Shaun432x, Apr 14, 2012

Im pretty sure that would be illegal.

 Major Major's gear list:Major Major's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
spbStan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,882Gear list
Like?
Re: Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?
In reply to Shaun432x, Apr 14, 2012

Canon is large because of printers. Nikon's sell well because they are great cameras. For people who know the difference, price is not the only criteria for choosing a camera. Personally I do not seen anything in the Canon line I would be interested in, not even their main product; printers. I don't like to spend all my time trying to fix artifacts, shadow noise and banding.
--
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
u007
Senior MemberPosts: 1,678
Like?
Re: Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?
In reply to spbStan, Apr 14, 2012

I'd love to see sales figures, but I would bet that the 5d2 sales beat the d700/d3s and d3X combined by a ratio of 5:1. Canon are plenty popular. Don't let the internet forums delude you!

spbStan wrote:

Canon is large because of printers. Nikon's sell well because they are great cameras. For people who know the difference, price is not the only criteria for choosing a camera. Personally I do not seen anything in the Canon line I would be interested in, not even their main product; printers. I don't like to spend all my time trying to fix artifacts, shadow noise and banding.
--
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

-- hide signature --

My travel photography blog - http://www.frescoglobe.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shaun432x
Regular MemberPosts: 351Gear list
Like?
Re: Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?
In reply to spbStan, Apr 14, 2012

I too buy Nikon, I much prefer it to Canon.

This idea was just from a business point of view... remove Nikon and Canon would be untouchable.

I see at sporting events on the TV that 70% of the photographers shoot Canon, so somebody must like Canon gear!

 Shaun432x's gear list:Shaun432x's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon Coolpix 8800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Nikon D60 +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ScottnLaguna
Contributing MemberPosts: 695
Like?
Re: Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?
In reply to Shaun432x, Apr 14, 2012

I am all Nikon for photo gear but use a Canon printer for home output. It's better than HP.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Patco
Forum ProPosts: 11,536
Like?
Re: Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?
In reply to spbStan, Apr 14, 2012

spbStan wrote:

Canon is large because of printers.

That they also sell printers is irrelevant to the fact that Canon sells more cameras than Nikon.

Canon made cameras long before they made printers, and long before Nikon started making cameras.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,872Gear list
Like?
Re: Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?
In reply to ScottnLaguna, Apr 14, 2012

ScottnLaguna wrote:

I am all Nikon for photo gear but use a Canon printer for home output. It's better than HP.

I have no doubt Canon printers are better than HP for photography. Are they better than Epson?
--
Mike Dawson

 michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dan DeLion
Contributing MemberPosts: 541
Like?
Great Smell
In reply to Patco, Apr 14, 2012

That they also sell printers is irrelevant to the fact that Canon sells more cameras than Nikon.

Canon made cameras long before they made printers, and long before Nikon started making cameras.

And their copier, glass bottle, and perfume businesses must be invaluable when designing their cameras. Great smelling cameras!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RustyKnee
Regular MemberPosts: 462
Like?
Re: Great Smell
In reply to Dan DeLion, Apr 14, 2012

If it weren't for Nikon (or other hypothetical competitor), Canon cameras wouldn't be as good as they are.

Canon users shouldn't wish for Nikon to disappear.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ovrebekk
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,247
Like?
Re: Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?
In reply to Shaun432x, Apr 14, 2012

Shaun432x wrote:

I have read in the forums that Canon are three times the size of Nikon.

If Canon as a company are three times larger than Nikon, why don't they drastically drop their prices on DSLR's and lenses.

Then after a time when Nikon are bust, Canon can up their prices and charge what they want!

With all the people invested in Nikon gear they would have to drop their prices for a loong time to have any chance of 'busting' Nikon, and they would lose a lot of money in the process.

I think Canon is better of selling their gear at a higher price, even though they will lose some of the available market to Nikon.

Right now it seems Canon is trying to make inroads into the video market, with several video specific cameras released, and in that market they are facing competition from much bigger vendors than Nikon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,918
Like?
Re: Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?
In reply to Shaun432x, Apr 14, 2012

Shaun432x wrote:

I have read in the forums that Canon are three times the size of Nikon.

Yes, and Nikon is probable three times the size of Fuji (camera divisionally speaking)

If Canon as a company are three times larger than Nikon, why don't they drastically drop their prices on DSLR's and lenses.

Why would you make a division running bad by means of cost/profit ratio? You're stockholders will go mad about it. Drastically running prices down will mean drastically running quality down as well.

As a side note, ever wondered why Leica is still there?
It's not that they make the best camera's in the world

Then after a time when Nikon are bust, Canon can up their prices and charge what they want!

Nah, that will practically never work. and Canon will not even want that to happen for sure. Canon will expand in other parts of the media market more, getting ahead, it will create more money and it will keep your stockholders happy too.
Michel

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SergioSpain
Regular MemberPosts: 446Gear list
Like?
Re: Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?
In reply to u007, Apr 14, 2012

u007 wrote:

I'd love to see sales figures, but I would bet that the 5d2 sales beat the d700/d3s and d3X combined by a ratio of 5:1. Canon are plenty popular. Don't let the internet forums delude you!

I'll take you up on that bet!

 SergioSpain's gear list:SergioSpain's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?
In reply to u007, Apr 14, 2012

u007 wrote:

I'd love to see sales figures, but I would bet that the 5d2 sales beat the d700/d3s and d3X combined by a ratio of 5:1. Canon are plenty popular. Don't let the internet forums delude you!

And Justin Bieber may end up outselling The Beatles and the Rolling Stones put together. Your point? Popularity doesn't mean better, that is for certain. Nikon has been a more illustrious and important brand throughout the history of photography and it's likely there is nothing Canon can do to change that this fact.

Quality always wins out over quantity. Leica is a perfect example of that.

 marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?
In reply to u007, Apr 14, 2012

u007 wrote:

I'd love to see sales figures, but I would bet that the 5d2 sales beat the d700/d3s and d3X combined by a ratio of 5:1.

Yet the 5D2 is an inferior camera to each of the Nikon's here. And sales ratio's pulled from thin air don't really prove much.

Canon are plenty popular. Don't let the internet forums delude you!

Popularity is an indicator of what exactly? Marketing? The Twilight Series is one of the most popular movies of all time. Does that make it the best vampire movie, or even a good vampire film?

Canon has been falling behind in recent years because their sensor technology is simply not performing at the highest level. And in entry-level DSLRs, they had a hit in the Rebel/450D/Kiss series, but they've been extremely conservative and have been keeping fairly average sensors around all through their line-up, i.e. all Canon DSLR from 550D to 7D share the same 18 mp CMOS sensor. Nikon's more diversified line-up, with the hugely popular D3100 and the superb D7000 has given Nikon a bit more diversification in their consumer DSLR line-up. And in a few days, Nikon will release the 24 mp D3200 (yet another new sensor) to further up the ante. Ouch.

 marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,825Gear list
Like?
Re: Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?
In reply to spbStan, Apr 14, 2012

spbStan wrote:

Canon is large because of printers. Nikon's sell well because they are great cameras. For people who know the difference, price is not the only criteria for choosing a camera. Personally I do not seen anything in the Canon line I would be interested in, not even their main product; printers. I don't like to spend all my time trying to fix artifacts, shadow noise and banding.
--

Sure, and Nikon only concentrates on making cameras. How about the newest Nikon FX series...

http://www.nikon.com/products/precision/lineup/fx/index.htm

I'll bet it's hard to get a gallery-quality art print out of one of those things.

Sal

 Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ScottnLaguna
Contributing MemberPosts: 695
Like?
Re: Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?
In reply to michaeladawson, Apr 14, 2012

michaeladawson wrote:

ScottnLaguna wrote:

I am all Nikon for photo gear but use a Canon printer for home output. It's better than HP.

I have no doubt Canon printers are better than HP for photography. Are they better than Epson?
--
Mike Dawson

I don't know for sure but have heard Epson is best. Too much $ for my needs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clark Hampton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,856Gear list
Like?
That's illegal and anti competitive
In reply to Shaun432x, Apr 14, 2012

huhuhuhuh

 Clark Hampton's gear list:Clark Hampton's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Just a Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?
Re: Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?
In reply to u007, Apr 14, 2012

u007 wrote:

I'd love to see sales figures, but I would bet that the 5d2 sales beat the d700/d3s and d3X combined by a ratio of 5:1. Canon are plenty popular. Don't let the internet forums delude you!

That doesn't mean they make the better camera.

I've recently switched and I can tell you that you get a load more camera for the price with Nikon that you get with Canon

 Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
u007
Senior MemberPosts: 1,678
Like?
Re: Why don't Canon make Nikon go bust?
In reply to marike6, Apr 14, 2012

marike6 wrote:

u007 wrote:

I'd love to see sales figures, but I would bet that the 5d2 sales beat the d700/d3s and d3X combined by a ratio of 5:1. Canon are plenty popular. Don't let the internet forums delude you!

And Justin Bieber may end up outselling The Beatles and the Rolling Stones put together. Your point? Popularity doesn't mean better, that is for certain. Nikon has been a more illustrious and important brand throughout the history of photography and it's likely there is nothing Canon can do to change that this fact.

Quality always wins out over quantity. Leica is a perfect example of that.

No need to be defensive! I wouldn't buy a 5d2 either, but it WAS/IS a VERY popular camera. I was simply replying to the guy who said that Canon are big because of printers. And I said that I'm sure the 5d2 outsold all Nikons of the same era. You can't deny that their cameras are very popular.

And for a company, their popularity IS all that matters. If a company becomes unpopular it will die. Leica make great cameras, but I'm pretty sure that Canon and Nikon make more profit.

And yes, Bieber is crap, but he's also a multimillionaire. It doesn't mean he is better, but it does mean that he is successful.

-- hide signature --

My travel photography blog - http://www.frescoglobe.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads