Not the Greatest Review of A77

Started Apr 14, 2012 | Discussions
acdtech
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
Not the Greatest Review of A77
Apr 14, 2012

The author of this article did not give the greatest of reviews for Alpha A77.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/13/2921671/sony-alpha-slt-a77-review

acdtech's gear list:acdtech's gear list
Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
digititus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?
Re: Not the Greatest Review of A77
In reply to acdtech, Apr 14, 2012

acdtech wrote:

It is a fair review that will get ripped by the usual zealots in this forum!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unravel
Regular MemberPosts: 191
Like?
In reply to digititus, Apr 14, 2012

the fact that the reviewer mentions the cliche "poor amount of lenses" without even mentioning the whole minolta range that can be had for a bargain alone discredits the review.

digititus wrote:

acdtech wrote:

Mandude
Regular MemberPosts: 378
Like?

I have to agree. It's a pretty fair review for only having the camera for a review. It takes some time to get to know the 77. She has some tweaks that she needs. once you figure out what works best for the 77 and the lens you're shooting with. She sure is a pleasure!

digititus wrote:

acdtech wrote:

Rob Vermaas
Contributing MemberPosts: 923Gear list
Like?

"excellent image and video quality"
"gorgeous images"
That's all that matters isn't it? -:)

Rob Vermaas's gear list:Rob Vermaas's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +14 more
fjbyrne
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,196
Like?
Only if you can't get that elsewhere...
In reply to Rob Vermaas, Apr 14, 2012

Rob Vermaas wrote:

"excellent image and video quality"
"gorgeous images"
That's all that matters isn't it? -:)

Only if you can't get that elsewhere. You can find "excellent image and video quality" and "gorgeous images" from models from every camera maker. It is really the cost of admission to the camera market IMO. It is the other things that really sets you apart from the competition. Sony is ahead in some areas and behind in others. They need to make a concerted effort to be ahead in every area. They may never get there but that is the only way to be truly competitive IMO.

john175bramley
Regular MemberPosts: 295
Like?

It's not such a bad review. They found the menu system laggy, which has now been addressed. They find the A77 noisier that the D7000 using OOC Jpegs at pixel level, no surprise there. They state that Canon and Nikon have more lenses, yep. Battery life not as good as it's competitors, yep again.

Overall quite a positive review though.

digititus
Like?
In reply to unravel, Apr 14, 2012

unravel wrote:

the fact that the reviewer mentions the cliche "poor amount of lenses" without even mentioning the whole minolta range that can be had for a bargain alone discredits the review.

Unfortunately the Minolta lenses are becoming less of an argument for buying a Sony. Over time I've replaced all my Minolta lenses simply because Sony or third parties have created some better offerings. The exception are the premium Minolta lenses, and they are not selling at bargain prices.

Io suspect there are a good many discontinued oldies but goodies floating around the Canon and Nikon markets as well. Its not like they were not producing lenses at the same time as Minolta.

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 16,126Gear list
Like?
Actually it was a positive review

acdtech wrote:

It's only one man's opinion but overall the review was very positive . You must be very sensitive to every little criticism. He admits he doesn't like EVFs in general but once again that is a personal opinion. He also complains about sluggish response which was corrected in FW 1.05.
--
Tom

Look at the picture, not the pixels

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A65 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +5 more
Lucas_
Senior MemberPosts: 2,863Gear list
Like?

digititus wrote:

acdtech wrote:

I'd say it's a "fair minus" evaluation. IMHO it's quite superficial for a camera which is breaking some "die-hard" paradigms ( OVF, flip mirror, etc ). I understand that a camera like the A77 requires a much deeper analysis as well as time experiencing it to be understood, it's not a camera that can be easily mastered by newbies or even enthusiasts. I say that based on my own experience - I've been dealing with photography for over 40 years, both as an enthusiast and with "pro" ( assigned ) jobs, and having had many different cameras through the years I 'm used to grab a new body and quickly start getting the "hang of it" to take "good" shots. With the A77 ( I've had most of Sony bodies and still have A55 and A900 ) it took me about two weeks to feel comfortable with most of its features and controls. Furthermore, It was only after I did a complete AF micro adjustment for all my lenses that I really started getting results as I expected. Now, even the feared high ISO noise it's reasonably under control for my taste. I'm sure there are still some things to learn.
Sorry for the long post, but I thought this could be beneficial to some.

IMHO one has to really master his gear before asserting any conclusions about it.

... Lucas

-- hide signature --

Always having fun with photography ...

http://www.lucaspix.smugmug.com/

Lucas_'s gear list:Lucas_'s gear list
Minolta DiMAGE A1 Sony RX100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 +33 more
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,364
Like?

digititus wrote:

unravel wrote:

Unfortunately the Minolta lenses are becoming less of an argument for buying a Sony. Over time I've replaced all my Minolta lenses simply because Sony or third parties have created some better offerings. The exception are the premium Minolta lenses, and they are not selling at bargain prices.

Io suspect there are a good many discontinued oldies but goodies floating around the Canon and Nikon markets as well. Its not like they were not producing lenses at the same time as Minolta.

But they won't offer stabilization, which can be quite the omission with long lenses and being spoiled having it.
And many lenses won't focus with certain bodies anymore (see Nikon for example).

fjbyrne
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,196
Like?
Should different give you an advantage?
In reply to Lucas_, Apr 14, 2012

Lucas_ wrote:

digititus wrote:

acdtech wrote:

I'd say it's a "fair minus" evaluation. IMHO it's quite superficial for a camera which is breaking some "die-hard" paradigms ( OVF, flip mirror, etc ).

Are you suggesting that it should get "extra points" just for being different? I assume you are talking about the real advantages of the SLT difference - no moving mirror, etc (there are of course also disadvantages to the SLT). But a camera should be judged on how it performs not how it internally functions IMO.

I understand that a camera like the A77 requires a much deeper analysis as well as time experiencing it to be understood, it's not a camera that can be easily mastered by newbies or even enthusiasts. I say that based on my own experience - I've been dealing with photography for over 40 years, both as an enthusiast and with "pro" ( assigned ) jobs, and having had many different cameras through the years I 'm used to grab a new body and quickly start getting the "hang of it" to take "good" shots. With the A77 ( I've had most of Sony bodies and still have A55 and A900 ) it took me about two weeks to feel comfortable with most of its features and controls. Furthermore, It was only after I did a complete AF micro adjustment for all my lenses that I really started getting results as I expected. Now, even the feared high ISO noise it's reasonably under control for my taste. I'm sure there are still some things to learn.
Sorry for the long post, but I thought this could be beneficial to some.

IMHO one has to really master his gear before asserting any conclusions about it.

I agree completely. It takes time to master a camera and even more time for the more capable cameras.

It becomes even more difficult to review cameras as companies release FW updates that end up addressing some issues that people had when they reviewed a previous version. Reviews can be outdated pretty quickly. We can't expect reviewers to re-review a camera after every FW update.

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,364
Like?
In reply to john175bramley, Apr 14, 2012

john175bramley wrote:

Battery life not as good as it's competitors, yep again.

True when talking maximum achievable shots. But when using both for LV or video, the tables turn.

Jabez02
Regular MemberPosts: 344
Like?
Re: Actually it was a positive review
In reply to tbcass, Apr 14, 2012

At least the reviewer came clean about being a Nikon fan ( please note fan not fanboy ). That means the reviewer has to make a largish reality jump to review any Sony SLT camera and which it is obvious that they couldn't do that well. What Nikon does is the last word on what a camera should be !

I say this as a photographer who has been using both Minolta/Sony AND Nikon cameras since the early 1990's.

There is also the repeated references to the A77 being a $2000 camera. Yes if you buy the A77 with the 16-50 mm zoom lens you can pay something around $2000, but I only paid AUD 1179 for my A77 body, AUD 1369 for my Nex 7 body and AUD 756 for the Sony 16-50 zoom - all including tax.

A quick check of the same dealer shows that I can buy a Nikon D7000 body for AUD 1260 and an extra AUD 1649 for the 17-55 Nikon zoom which makes the D7000 a $3000 camera by the reviewers calculations. The Canon 60D is cheaper at AUD 899.99 but the more accurate comparison is with the Canon 7D at AUD 1299.90 body only and the AUD 999.99 for the Canon 17-55 zoom lens.

I'm not saying anything about the relative optical performance of the Sony, Nikon and Canon lenses but simply picked the nearest lenses offered by the companies.

digititus
Like?
In reply to TrojMacReady, Apr 14, 2012

TrojMacReady wrote:

digititus wrote:

unravel wrote:

But they won't offer stabilization, which can be quite the omission with long lenses and being spoiled having it.
And many lenses won't focus with certain bodies anymore (see Nikon for example).

That is all very true, but in the end I doubt many first time buyers give much thought to anything but current lens offerings, regardless of the manufacturer. In fact, many don't look beyond the kit offering initially. They may consider in-body stabilization vs in-lens, but even there the handwriting is on the wall for Sony's new lenses.

For Sony to move out of their distant third position, they need to attract new buyers, not us folks that hung in because of our investment in Minolta glass. They've got to fill the lens voids that the professionals complain is lacking. And they've got to solve their image problem, that gets reinforced by nearly all the retailers who steer new buyers to Nikon and Canon. That problem is going to take time and money, and it is beginning to look like Sony is running out of both.

dongfanghong
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?

digititus wrote:

acdtech wrote:

Leaded by mike?

dongfanghong's gear list:dongfanghong's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D300S Sony SLT-A33 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
digititus
Like?
Re: Actually it was a positive review
In reply to Jabez02, Apr 14, 2012

Jabez02 wrote:

At least the reviewer came clean about being a Nikon fan ( please note fan not fanboy ). That means the reviewer has to make a largish reality jump to review any Sony SLT camera and which it is obvious that they couldn't do that well. What Nikon does is the last word on what a camera should be !

I say this as a photographer who has been using both Minolta/Sony AND Nikon cameras since the early 1990's.

There is also the repeated references to the A77 being a $2000 camera. Yes if you buy the A77 with the 16-50 mm zoom lens you can pay something around $2000, but I only paid AUD 1179 for my A77 body, AUD 1369 for my Nex 7 body and AUD 756 for the Sony 16-50 zoom - all including tax.

A quick check of the same dealer shows that I can buy a Nikon D7000 body for AUD 1260 and an extra AUD 1649 for the 17-55 Nikon zoom which makes the D7000 a $3000 camera by the reviewers calculations. The Canon 60D is cheaper at AUD 899.99 but the more accurate comparison is with the Canon 7D at AUD 1299.90 body only and the AUD 999.99 for the Canon 17-55 zoom lens.

I'm not saying anything about the relative optical performance of the Sony, Nikon and Canon lenses but simply picked the nearest lenses offered by the companies.

Canon 60D with 18-135mm kit is less than $1200.

ArmandN
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?
Ignore

Sorry, I m original comment does not apply.

-- hide signature --
6132expd
Regular MemberPosts: 190
Like?

Whats baffling is that the same reviewer gave the NEX 7 a score of 8.8 with all the ratings (features, image quality, video, even lens selection) higher than the A77

chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,980Gear list
Like?
I don't think it's that negative

Overall, that author and I seem to be thinking about the same thing. I agree with his praise of the camera's flexible LCD, external controls, and resolution. I also agree with his criticism of the EVF, low light performance, and battery life. In the end, it's certainly a great camera, although it doesn't seem like one that would fit me well. The strengths are nice, but aren't in areas that I'm really concerned about. On the other hand, the weaknesses are in areas that drove me to purchase a DSLR in the first place (battery life, ISO performance, OVF). I'm sure others will be happy with it, though.

However, I disagree with his point about lens selection. To me, the Sony lens selection, augmented by Sigma and Tamron offerings, is perfectly adequate for pretty much everything. While Nikon offers better compatibility with older lenses (they didn't change the mount when they moved to autofocus), they lack in-body stabilization. Pentax offers both compatibility and stabilization, but their current lens lineup seems lacking. Overall, each manufacturer's lens options have weaknesses and strengths. I find it hard to see "Lens ecosystem lags Canon and Nikon" as a significant point.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads