Why?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VisualNectarPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
Re: Fisheye or Wide-Angle for 7D
In reply to Mustafa, May 4, 2012

Fisheyes are typically around 150-180 degrees of viewing angle Very distorted

Ultra Wides are aver 100 (10-22 is 108 degrees of viewing angle) Some distortion
Wides are 70-100 usually
And zooms do 60 and narrower

These are approximations

-- hide signature --

Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.

VisualNectarPhotography's gear list:VisualNectarPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Nikon D2Hs Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
lightform
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
In reply to VisualNectarPhotography, May 4, 2012

I would think the fish eye effect would get used very little except for a novelty shot once in awhile. Not a very good replacement for an ultra wide in my opinion. Get a UWA first then if the mood strikes you get a fish eye.

lightform's gear list:lightform's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Jim Gif
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
In reply to lightform, May 5, 2012

I have the 10-22 as well as the Samyang Fisheye, they are quite different lenses and fit different uses. looking back at your first post, the fisheye will be no use to you for architecture, but has a place for landscapes or sunsets producing dramatic and unusual shots but not to give an exact photographic image of what you are seeing. The 10-22 will give a wide view with some but less distortion, ( I think the fisheye claims 160 degrees and the 10-22 about 97 maximum. Personally I use the 17-40mm more (maximum horizontal angle 67 degrees) for buildings. They are different lenses and fit different niches. If you want only one lens you have to define your useage, my advice, keep the fisheye and start saving for your next.

TrevorNews
Contributing MemberPosts: 509Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mustafa, May 5, 2012

I think I may use the 10-22 more than the fisheye. I did see some noise from my initial shots. Haven't had time to play with it yet.

-- hide signature --

Regards,

Trevor

TrevorNews's gear list:TrevorNews's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
In reply to TrevorNews, May 6, 2012

Noise is not attributable to the lens, but rather, camera settings, such as ISO.

TrevorNews wrote:

I think I may use the 10-22 more than the fisheye. I did see some noise from my initial shots. Haven't had time to play with it yet.

-- hide signature --

Regards,

Trevor

-- hide signature --

Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Jim Gif
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
In reply to Y0GI, May 6, 2012

Being totally manual you have to work out the best settings for each shot. Being an 8mm lens shutter speed can be very slow without causing problems, and exposure can be sorted here before you need to push up the ISO setting. Set the camera to manual, M on top left wheel, then experiment to bring the exposure setting to centre or slight overexposure.

TrevorNews
Contributing MemberPosts: 509Gear list
Like?
2 Sample Photo(s) using the 8mm Rokinon Fisheye
In reply to TrevorNews, May 20, 2012

I added 2 photos (14+ mb each) if anybody is interested. Link below

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6704800890/invite/BF64EC0974BD4C6F8BF09297040F4846

I need to clean my sensor.

-- hide signature --

Regards,

Trevor

TrevorNews's gear list:TrevorNews's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
casdewrf
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
consider the tokina 11-16
In reply to TrevorNews, May 20, 2012

If you are considering a canon 10-22, try a tokina 11-16 also. Do a search on it, and everything positive mentioned about it is quite accurate. I had two canon 10-22's and have now two tokinas they will also work safely on full frame bodies with no risk of mirror collision (some vignetting from 11 to 13.9 on full frame body)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads