Fisheye or Wide-Angle for 7D

Started Apr 14, 2012 | Discussions
TrevorNews
Regular MemberPosts: 484Gear list
Like?
Fisheye or Wide-Angle for 7D
Apr 14, 2012

I am interested in buying a Fisheye preferably the Canon 15mm f/2.8, but with the crop factor Canon 10-22mm also seems to be an option.

Are there any other options that you would recommend for the 7D. I would like to use them for Landscape, Sunsets and architecture.

-- hide signature --
 TrevorNews's gear list:TrevorNews's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pcb62
Regular MemberPosts: 130
Like?
Re: Fisheye or Wide-Angle for 7D
In reply to TrevorNews, Apr 14, 2012

I'm speculating, since I don't own a fisheye, but I don't think the 15mm fisheye, would be much of a fisheye, on the 7D. If you want a fisheye on a crop camera, you should probably look at the 8-15mm fisheye.

At some point, I may add a fisheye to my lenses, but I consider it more of a novelty and suspect that most people, myself included wouldn't use it much.

I do own the EF-S 10-22mm and the EF 16-35mm. I probably use the 16-35 on my 7D more than the 10-22, although the extra width is nice on the 10-22, when I need it.

If you're thinking of going full frame in the near future, then the 16-35 is probably the better choice, since it will work on both crop and full frame. The 16-35mm gives the same field of view on a full frame as the 10-22mm does on the 7D and the 16-35 is still reasonably wide on the 7D.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JoeAmateur
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Like?

+1 on the 15mm

Getting a fisheye for landscapes is kind of limiting; the effect is pretty specialized, whereas the 10-22 would be a great tool you'd use constantly.

-- hide signature --

-Joe

JoeAmateur's gear list:JoeAmateur's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Brand New
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?

The 10-22. You'll get sick of the fisheye look after a while, especially using it in those 3 situations. With the 10-22, you'll get plenty wide, but will have more ways to compose your shots.

lantzounis
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
In reply to Brand New, Apr 14, 2012

Check out the sigma 8-16mm. I own one and it is REALLY wide

TrevorNews
Like?
In reply to TrevorNews, Apr 20, 2012

Thanks for your comments. I am still researching about my options.

Sample Video with the Canon 8-15mm F4 L
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/ef/samples/ef8-15_f4l_f_usm/

boulderdashcci
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
In reply to TrevorNews, Apr 20, 2012

Keep in mind that most (all?) fisheye lenses won't take filters, which limit their usability for landscapes. Also know that they can give some nasty CA fringing, which can be a bit harder to deal with than the few clicks in Lightroom it takes to correct a normal lens. Once you figure out the distortion however I think they are a bit more usable and forgiving than people give them credit for. I have the Tokina 10-17 and while I primarily use it for concerts/skatepark/event shooting, I have used it for landscapes in the past with nice results.

The 15 is not going to be very wide nor fishy. At that point you may as well just go with the 15-85 or 17-50 or something similar which gives you a much more versatile lens if you're staying crop, or as said the 16-35 might be a good idea if you plan to move up to FF. I use the 10-17 pretty much exclusively at 10 (I think I actually used 17 for the first time in my year of owning it last week), so if I had to do it again I would probably go with the fixed Sigma 10mm F2.8 as the zooming thing is kind of a novelty (although it does make the lens usable on both full frame and crop which is nice to have I suppose).

I would like to pick up a 10-22 at some point as it allows the use of filters, which is a big plus to me.

boulderdashcci's gear list:boulderdashcci's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Tokina AT-X 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 DX Fish-eye Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
Brian de Cambra
Contributing MemberPosts: 512
Like?
In reply to boulderdashcci, Apr 20, 2012

What about Rokinon/Samyang 8mm. I found this lens to be a good cheaper alternative. I was not sure how much use I get from a Wide 8mm so was reluctant to spend big dollars, tried the Rokinon (approx $300) and found it to be good enough for what I wanted to do. Couple samples attached.

Brian

TrevorNews
Like?
In reply to Brian de Cambra, Apr 21, 2012

Thanks Brian. Will look into it. Do u know why the Exif data for the photos u uploaded show as 50mm

-- hide signature --

Regards,

Trevor

TrevorNews
Like?
In reply to boulderdashcci, Apr 21, 2012

Not sure if I would go FF anytime soon. The 10-22mm seem to be the one for me. It will take me a while to compare the other lens in this range.

I read thru all comment but don't post individual responses to aviod bumping this thread. But do appreciate all inputs.

Trevor

Brian de Cambra
Contributing MemberPosts: 512
Like?
In reply to TrevorNews, Apr 21, 2012

Re EXIF -The Samyang or Rokinon 8mm are fully manual lenses, they do not communicate with the camera. You have to set the Aperature and Focus Manually therefore the exif data does not contain any accurarte lens data. Manual focus is usually best done by estimating the distance and using the focus scale. I have not found this to be limiting as exposure (shutter speed) is determined by the camera depending on the Aperature that you set.

Beware: These lenses Samyang and Rokinon are well know for inaccurate focus scales, i.e. setting the scale to 2 metres may in fact be 10 on the lens, this is due to poor QA unfortunately, however the rest of the lens construction and glass appear to be well made. If you are game, you can make the adjustment yourself if you find that your scale is not accurate. I have done it using the following Guide located here;
http://hdrtist.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/rokinon-8mm-fisheye-lens-review/
--
Brian

JNPap
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
In reply to Brand New, Apr 21, 2012

Brand New wrote:

The 10-22. You'll get sick of the fisheye look after a while, especially using it in those 3 situations. With the 10-22, you'll get plenty wide, but will have more ways to compose your shots.

Took the words out of my mouth. Just how many fisheye photos does anyone take before they're sick of them.

Mustafa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,263
Like?
In reply to TrevorNews, Apr 23, 2012

Nobody's mentioned the Sigma 10mm f2.8 fisheye. I have one (as well as the 10-22mm) and am very pleased with it. It has AF (which admittedly is not essential on such a wide-angle) and the quality of the images is more than adequate. I otherwise use only Canon lenses, but didn't think the 8-15mm was good value for the limited number of images I'm likely to take with it.

Having said that, I'm liking the fresh perspectives more than I anticipated, and it will be one of my three lenses when I go on a tour of the Baltic states in the summer.

paul13walnut5
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
In reply to Mustafa, Apr 23, 2012

Tokina 11-16 is my fave uwa. I use it on 7d and 550d. Max aperture of f2.8 is great for video. Can require defringing in PS but otherwise a gem of a lens.

Robert Krawitz
Regular MemberPosts: 277
Like?
Sigma 8-16

If you want really wide capability, but something with practical day to day use, check out the Sigma 8-16 (equivalent to 13-26). No filters is the big complaint about this (because it has a bulging front element), but that may be part of why the IQ is so good. Good copies are sharp corner to corner, and the lens has very little CA for a lens of that type. There's some distortion, but it's not too bad. But you do want to be careful about people near the corners.

mgkaplan
Contributing MemberPosts: 509Gear list
Like?

You should seriously consider the Sigma 8 - 16.

I have the Canon 15mm fisheye and the Sigma 8 - 16.

You will get tired of the fisheye after a while. Its applications are limited.

The optics on the 8 - 16 are stellar. Look at the reviews. The 7D/60D with the Sigma 8-16 have replaced my 5D/Canon 16-35L rig as my weapon of choice for ultra wide shots.

Here is a link to Canoga Camera's web page for the Sigma lens.

http://www.canogacamera.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=10051

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need any additional information.

mgkaplan's gear list:mgkaplan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +14 more
TrevorNews
Like?
In reply to TrevorNews, Apr 24, 2012

Thanks everyone, I ordered the Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye this morning.

The Canon 10-22mm is the next on the list.

-- hide signature --
Jim Gif
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
In reply to TrevorNews, May 4, 2012

Just back to browsing the forums after a couple of months in Europe. Found the Samyang 8mm in a small shop in Paris, great lens and great price, about 300 Euros including their huge sales tax. My other lenses through to 400mm are Canon and mostly L quality. I haven't found being a manual lens to be an issue and am enjoying finding new subjects. Highly recommended.

VisualNectarPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Gif, May 4, 2012

just my 2 cents:

Wide angle will get more use. Fisheyes are great for a couple dramatic shots but it can easily be overused.

Where Wide or Ultra Wide angles are great for indoors, tight areas and landscapes. I love my 10-22 USM it’s my favorite lens in my bag currently.

-- hide signature --

Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.

VisualNectarPhotography's gear list:VisualNectarPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Nikon D2Hs Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
TrevorNews
Like?
In reply to VisualNectarPhotography, May 4, 2012

after a week with the Fisheye, I may end up returning it for the 10-22

-- hide signature --

Regards,

Trevor