OMD vs NEX 5N

Started Apr 14, 2012 | Discussions
coroander
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?
Re: OMD vs NEX 5N
In reply to tsammyc, Apr 14, 2012

You can made slow lenses smaller and this is a characteristic of 99% of APS-C lenses. There are only a handfull of lenses faster than f/2.8 made specifically for APS-C.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,717Gear list
Like?
System ??
In reply to Marla2008, Apr 14, 2012

Marla2008 wrote:

axlotl wrote:

Good comparison, thank you for posting. Lenses really are the key to the system.

Lenses really are the key to the system.

I 'm so amazed Sony and the like don't understand this obvious truth..

I mean, look how the tiny 5n body looks huge and awkward next to the chunky EM-5, BECAUSE of their lens size difference. It's the LENS that determines the overall bulk and size perception of the combo... What did they drink/smoked the night they designed the Nex system ?!?

Marla

Excellent point, correct for a system. Now where are the long fast tele lenses for m4/3 ??. Same with NEX, where are they. Both systems miss out and maybe bellows for macro and ring flash units. So neither is really a system, but maybe half of one

A system doesn't stop at wide angle and std lenses, or it shouldn't. m/43 and NEX both have a very long way to go to being a system IMO.

So a few of us make up for that with legacy lenses. Which camera becomes smaller when legacy lenses and adaptors are on....... its not m4/3. Yep, we are all different.

All the best.

Danny.
m4/3 macro
http://www.macrophotos.com/g2macro

m4/3 feathered flying gadgets
http://www.macrophotos.com/avian/avian.html

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

maflynn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,981
Like?

Do you find the NEX-5N a bit slow?

As for the NEX-7 design issues with wide lenses, is that a sensor problem or a lens issue?

I'm kind of doubting we'll see a NEX-9 (or even NEX-7N) anytime soon. Sony is unable to produce the 7 in quantity, its only now trickling into store fairly consistently. I don't see them replacing a camera is still in high demand, cost a lot to design and has been difficult to produce

SkiHound
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
In reply to Bjorn S, Apr 14, 2012

Yep. The NEX bodies are technologically very advanced, they have some really nice features, and considerably better sensors (remains to be seen just how good the E-M5 is but it seems to have closed the gap). But the selection of native lenses remains limited, they don't seem to be wonderful optically, and the size and weight negates any size advantage the NEX bodies might offer.

MT
MT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,827
Like?
In reply to maflynn, Apr 14, 2012

Just a note as someone who came to MFT from the Sony 5n. I would not knock the 5n and consider it very competitive with the MFT. I'm currently running an OLY PL2 and have the OMD on order. I ended up going with MFT for the current lenses but my brother who's very astute is leaning to the 5n direction. That larger sensor, in the long run as lenses start coming, will give better DOF and noise/DR characteristics. I consider both excellent systems. The 5n definitely is less fiddly and faster to control than the PL2 but I expect the OMD to be much better in the control than then 5n.

Anyways, in short I think both the NEX and MFT systems to be very viable for the $.

MTMT

Keto
Regular MemberPosts: 429
Like?
In reply to coroander, Apr 14, 2012

It is not realistically possible to create fast, small lenses for APS-C sensor cameras.

Pentax have a bunch of small APS-C lenses.

Samsung's NX APS-C mirrorless have a few pancakes: 30mm f/2, 20mm f/2.8, & 16mm 2.4

grcolts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,838Gear list
Like?

Don't tell Pentax that!

Their limited series lens DA 35, 40, 70, 15, 21, etc. are actually smaller than many of the four thirds lens. They are wonderful lens very suitable for street, landscape and portrait photography. That is one of the reasons I have been with Pentax for some time.
GR

coroander wrote:

This is the problem with all APS-C compact cameras. It is not realistically possible to create fast, small lenses for APS-C sensor cameras. A major problem with camera reviews is they make scant mention of the size of a system with several lenses or gloss over the issue of lens quality or aperture. You'd think from all the reviews of cameras that the sensor was of paramount importance, but for both IQ and size, the lenses are the most important factor.

grcolts's gear list:grcolts's gear list
Ricoh CX2 Canon EOS M Pentax K-50
Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 3,962
Like?
All with EVF, relative costs.

tsammyc wrote:

... But more importantly, the 5N is relatively cheap compared to the E-M5 or NEX 7 ...

Nex5n £600 + Viewfinder £350 (Today's Amazon prices) = £950 ... heck that's not really cheaper than e-M5 !

nawknai
Contributing MemberPosts: 943Gear list
Like?

coroander wrote:

Fuji's done a good job on the standard and wide angle primes, but won't be able to defy the size issue with longer lenses and standard zooms whenever these lenses are available.

Well no kidding, but if you compare the relative size between similar focal lengths, even large focal lengths, Fuji will still manage to make relatively small lenses. Their 60 mm lens is tiny.

nawknai's gear list:nawknai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
tsammyc
Regular MemberPosts: 360
Like?
Re: All with EVF, relative costs.
In reply to Ulfric M Douglas, Apr 14, 2012

Ulfric M Douglas wrote:

tsammyc wrote:

... But more importantly, the 5N is relatively cheap compared to the E-M5 or NEX 7 ...

Nex5n £600 + Viewfinder £350 (Today's Amazon prices) = £950 ... heck that's not really cheaper than e-M5 !

That's quite expensive. In HK, the 5N Kit is about 500 sterling and the EVF is about 200 sterling = 700 pounds sterling.

Bebrox
Contributing MemberPosts: 610Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ulfric M Douglas, Apr 14, 2012

Ulfric M Douglas wrote:

tsammyc wrote:

What do get for that?
£600 will get you a NEX-5N with 16mm and 18-55mm.

I see the NEX-5N for less than £500 with 18-55mm kit lens and the
FDA-EVF1 for £240
= £740 which is quite a bit less than £950.
this leaves at least £250 for the 50mm 1.8 OSS or £150 for the 30mm 2.8 Sigma.
The E-M5 is approx £1000 without a lens.

Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,380Gear list
Like?
do either fit in a pocket?

no, so you need a bag of some sort.. which makes the whole comparison moot

tsammyc wrote:

Here's a comparison of the OMD & 45 1.8 with the NEX 5N & 50 1.8 This would be the native portrait setup for both cameras. Taken with an iPhone.

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Clark666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,251Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marla2008, Apr 14, 2012

All that Sony has to do is sell an EOS adapter with working electric contacts and they could rule the mirror less world. But they just won't allow other manufacturers access to their stuff.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75673106@N00/

Clark666's gear list:Clark666's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,487Gear list
Like?
Re: System ??
In reply to nzmacro, Apr 14, 2012

nzmacro wrote:

Now where are the long fast tele lenses for m4/3 ??. Same with NEX, where are they. Both systems miss out and maybe bellows for macro and ring flash units. So neither is really a system, but maybe half of one

I think the main reason is that these 'compact' systems can provide very little 'edge' when it comes to bright long lenses (or long macro lenses). The lenses will be almost as big for APS-C and FF as for m43, which often makes the combo more difficult to hold (compared to a heavier DSLR).

Bellows and flash systems (especially the bigger/powerfull flash units), same story.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,487Gear list
Like?
In reply to Clark666, Apr 14, 2012

Clark666 wrote:

All that Sony has to do is sell an EOS adapter with working electric contacts and they could rule the mirror less world. But they just won't allow other manufacturers access to their stuff.

even if they could provide that at an attractive price, the lenses would still have awfully slow AF ...

but I think they could indeed steal customers from Canon (as long as Canon does not have its own mirrorless system). Being able to use ones Canon EF lenses on NEX is better than nothing, or using optically mediocre NEX lenses. Still, it doesn't help for SWA where NEX has the most glaring gaps in the lens line.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 17,631
Like?
In reply to Bebrox, Apr 14, 2012

Bebrox wrote:

FDA-EVF1 for £240

Yeah, but the E-M5 has better physical controls, has weather sealing, has the option of add-on grips, has much more compact lenses, and you don't have to choose between using the EVF vs using a flash (with the E-M5, you can use the EVF and a flash at the same time). Plus, the 5N doesn't have a standard hotshoe. Yes, the E-M5 costs more, but you also get more.

Frankly, the fact that you can't use the EVF and the flash at the same time on the 5N is a big negative for me. Plus, there's the fact that it doesn't have a standard hotshoe. Also, I love the look and size of m4/3's compact lenses.

T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 17,631
Like?
You'll probably need a bag for the Sony gear.
In reply to Jogger, Apr 14, 2012

Jogger wrote:

no, so you need a bag of some sort.. which makes the whole comparison moot

You don't need a bag of some sort-- at least not with the Oly gear. I wear my Oly E-PM1 on a sling strap, where the camera is out in the open. And since it's out in the open, it's nice to have a camera+lens combo that is compact. So this "whole comparison" is very valid if you imagine both cameras hanging from your side. It's also quite significant if you imagine carrying an extra lens in your pocket. With the Oly's ultra compact lenses, you really don't need a "bag of some sort" to carry an additional lens. Oly's m4/3 lenses are tiny , and they easily fit into a pocket. But with the Sony, the lenses are so large that you really do start to "need a bag of some sort!"

You also have to consider it from the entire system perspective. For example, I already have an E-PM1. If I add an E-M5, I have a compact body (E-M5), or an even more compact body (E-PM1). If I want to go ultra compact, I can stick that 45/1.8 on my E-PM1. But with the Sony system, regardless of what body you use, the biggest item is still going to be that large 50/1.8.

So, yes, these comparisons are quite valid and useful. Definitely not "moot".

Bebrox
Contributing MemberPosts: 610Gear list
Like?
In reply to T3, Apr 14, 2012

T3 wrote:

Bebrox wrote:

FDA-EVF1 for £240

Yeah, but the E-M5 has better physical controls, has weather sealing, has the option of add-on grips, has much more compact lenses, and you don't have to choose between using the EVF vs using a flash (with the E-M5, you can use the EVF and a flash at the same time). Plus, the 5N doesn't have a standard hotshoe. Yes, the E-M5 costs more, but you also get more.

Frankly, the fact that you can't use the EVF and the flash at the same time on the 5N is a big negative for me. Plus, there's the fact that it doesn't have a standard hotshoe. Also, I love the look and size of m4/3's compact lenses.

I was correcting inflated pricing for the 5N.

I never use a flash as the 5N has superb low light capability, I prefer natural looking photos so not using the flash and evf simultaneously is no issue to me.

I have no use for a hot shoe, I never used the hot shoe or pop up flash on my old G1.

Weather sealing - I have no desire to photograph in the rain, on rainy days I have rarely reach for my camera as there is no inspiration unless the rain has stopped and the sun breaks through casting interesting shadows and creating good angles of light.

Add on grips - Kind of defeats the idea that the camera is small, the 5N has a superb grip that literally allows me to lightly hold with my ring finger and small finger with a lanyard loosely connected to the camera and my wrist whilst I walk along.

I find that waist level shooting with the 5N is a cinch with tilt screen as the shutter button sits under my thumb whilst I have a firm grip of the small body with the same hand.

Don't get me wrong, the OMD looks the part and is desirable but a bit £££ for me to justify buying into plus I prefer APS-C with old lenses as the 1.5x crop factor is better for my use.

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?

tsammyc wrote:

coroander wrote:

This is the problem with all APS-C compact cameras. It is not realistically possible to create fast, small lenses for APS-C sensor cameras. A major problem with camera reviews is they make scant mention of the size of a system with several lenses or gloss over the issue of lens quality or aperture. You'd think from all the reviews of cameras that the sensor was of paramount importance, but for both IQ and size, the lenses are the most important factor.

I wouldn't get carried away with this. Sigma produces two small autofocus lenses for the NEX. They are very sharp and cost just $199, do everything a Sony lens does, and look good on the NEX (especially since they are black!). So it IS possible to produce small sharp relatively fast lenses for the NEX. It's just that Sony hasn't figured out how.

Also Samsung and Fuji (and Pentax for that matter) have absolutely zero problems designing small lenses for APS-C sensor.

I really do believe where small size is the most important factor m43 may be the best choice, but where IQ is a priority, APS-C is a better choice. Comparisons of the Pentax K-01 vs. OM-D, or Fuji X100 vs. GH2 demonstrate the all around better image quality (DR, Color fidelity, High ISO) of APS-C. But m43 is a good compromise format.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,154
Like?
In reply to marike6, Apr 14, 2012

For all three of those options the main advanatge is not down to the sensor size but the sensor technology .
Currently Sony sensors have a lead over Panasonic . That may change.

And Fuji is using the new tech without an AA filter. There may be similar technologies implemented in a future M43 camera.

If the current rate of development continues in a few years the sensor differences will be irrelevant for the vast majority of people but the lens size advantage will remain.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads