OMD vs NEX 5N

Started Apr 14, 2012 | Discussions
tsammyc
Regular MemberPosts: 360
Like?
OMD vs NEX 5N
Apr 14, 2012

Here's a comparison of the OMD & 45 1.8 with the NEX 5N & 50 1.8 This would be the native portrait setup for both cameras. Taken with an iPhone.

GingerBread
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?
Re: OMD vs NEX 5N
In reply to tsammyc, Apr 14, 2012

Interesting comparison. Thanks for posting.

-- hide signature --

Ging

GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
odl
odl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,684
Like?

You have to love the 45mm
--
alatchinphotography.com

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For
knowledge is limited to all we now know and
understand, while imagination embraces the entire
world, and all there ever will be to know and
understand.” - Albert Einstein

Drewpy
Regular MemberPosts: 474Gear list
Like?
In reply to odl, Apr 14, 2012

Those Sonys are crazy cameras, like outerspace cameras. The OM-D, that's a real camera. I couldn't never shoot with something that said SONY or SAMSUNG, sorry. Yea! Olympus, keep it goin' baby! The comeback kid.

Drewpy's gear list:Drewpy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Bjorn S
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?

Thanks! Interesting - the OMD really IS small.

IMHO the big lenses really ruins the NEX-system. Smaller lenses and better lens selection and Sony would have hit a home run.

axlotl
Contributing MemberPosts: 817
Like?

Good comparison, thank you for posting. Lenses really are the key to the system.

frelwa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,090Gear list
Like?

The NEX 7 would make for a closer comparison, but it appears that the OP doesn't have one. The 7 has a built-in EVF, but it doesn't have IBIS, so you pay extra for IS in each lens -- both in the price and in lens size and weight.

Nice photos though, tsammyc. Thanks.
--
I am the walrus.

frelwa's gear list:frelwa's gear list
Canon PowerShot S30 Contax TVS Digital Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Canon PowerShot A1200 Fujifilm X10 +1 more
coroander
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?

This is the problem with all APS-C compact cameras. It is not realistically possible to create fast, small lenses for APS-C sensor cameras. A major problem with camera reviews is they make scant mention of the size of a system with several lenses or gloss over the issue of lens quality or aperture. You'd think from all the reviews of cameras that the sensor was of paramount importance, but for both IQ and size, the lenses are the most important factor.

T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 17,929
Like?
OM-D with 75/1.8

tsammyc wrote:

The NEX's 50/1.8 looks about the same size as the Oly 75/1.8. The Oly 75/1.8 would also make a killer portrait lens.

BayAreaWZ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,192Gear list
Like?

Here's the big question, are you keeping both?

I have the E-M5 on order and a Nex-7 in hand. I'm not quite sure what will happen once the E-M5 arrives. Ive budgeted so I could keep both if I wanted, but that would mean no more glass. Whenever the Panny 12-35/2.8 or Oly 75/1.8 become available, that would certainly force my hand.

BayAreaWZ's gear list:BayAreaWZ's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,197
Like?
In reply to coroander, Apr 14, 2012

The Fuji 18 f2 and 35 f1.4 for the X-pro1 could hardly be called large lenses.

Fuji 35 f1.4
Weight 187 g (0.41 lb)
Diameter 65 mm (2.56")
Length 55 mm (2.17")

Panny 25 f1.4
Weight 200 g (0.44 lb)
Diameter 63 mm (2.48")
Length 55 mm (2.15")

Fuji 18 f2
Weight 116 g (0.26 lb)
Diameter 65 mm (2.56")
Length 41 mm (1.61")

Oly 12 f2
Weight 130 g (0.29 lb)
Diameter 56 mm (2.20")
Length 43 mm (1.69")

coroander wrote:

This is the problem with all APS-C compact cameras. It is not realistically possible to create fast, small lenses for APS-C sensor cameras. A major problem with camera reviews is they make scant mention of the size of a system with several lenses or gloss over the issue of lens quality or aperture. You'd think from all the reviews of cameras that the sensor was of paramount importance, but for both IQ and size, the lenses are the most important factor.

-- hide signature --
Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,406Gear list
Like?
Yes, comparison speaks volumes.

Sony really have to make something outstanding to overcome my resistance to the brand (customer service stinks)... They failed with NEX lenses. I look at leica lenses for film and the tiny 23mm f2 lens on my X100 and wonder, why can't high grade lenses be made this small for APS?

Thanks for the comparison

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,197
Like?
Yes, there are small APS lenses
In reply to Brian Mosley, Apr 14, 2012
tsammyc
Like?
In reply to BayAreaWZ, Apr 14, 2012

BayAreaWZ wrote:

Here's the big question, are you keeping both?

I have the E-M5 on order and a Nex-7 in hand. I'm not quite sure what will happen once the E-M5 arrives. Ive budgeted so I could keep both if I wanted, but that would mean no more glass. Whenever the Panny 12-35/2.8 or Oly 75/1.8 become available, that would certainly force my hand.

Yes. The NEX's 1.5X crop factor and focus peaking makes it more suitable for my manual focus rangefinder glass - Zeiss, Contax & Voightlander. But more importantly, the 5N is relatively cheap compared to the E-M5 or NEX 7 so the depreciation is more tolerable. Given the issues with the NEX 7 sensor on wide rangefinder glass, I expect the NEX 9 to be announced any time. I owned the NEX 7 and sold it at cost after a month because I didn't think I wanted to keep an expensive imperfect design given that prices would plummet once the NEX 9 is announced.

The E-M5 is also slightly imperfect to me. The issues with playback in the viewfinder should be fixed in firmware, but there are some ergonomic issues - small buttons, feel etc which need simple hardware improvements so I would expect and E-M6 in the not too distant future. So I'll keep the E-M5 for a little while, but like the NEX 7, I will sell it the moment there is a whiff of a new model. Overall its an excellent camera, but it needs a few minor improvements before it becomes a keeper for me.

nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,380Gear list
Like?
Gees, both are small

Heck, both cameras are too small. So with a legacy 50mm and adaptor on, the OMD would be much larger than the NEX 5N ??. Even the NEX 7 is a bit smaller than I would like.

I'll wait for the GH3 and then decide on if I should get that or the OMD with the grips. The G2 needs an upgrade, but I like the handling of it. As it is, both of those are too small for me.

Thanks for the comparison, appreciated.

Danny.
m4/3 macro
http://www.macrophotos.com/g2macro

m4/3 feathered flying gadgets
http://www.macrophotos.com/avian/avian.html

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

tsammyc
Like?
In reply to coroander, Apr 14, 2012

coroander wrote:

I wouldn't get carried away with this. Sigma produces two small autofocus lenses for the NEX. They are very sharp and cost just $199, do everything a Sony lens does, and look good on the NEX (especially since they are black!). So it IS possible to produce small sharp relatively fast lenses for the NEX. It's just that Sony hasn't figured out how.

Here is the Sigma 30mm on the same NEX 5N

arielelf
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?
Re: Gees, both are small
In reply to nzmacro, Apr 14, 2012

Would you mind taking some sample images from both cameras of the same scene with those lenses mounted in jpegs? I would love to see how they compare.

Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,383
Like?
In reply to axlotl, Apr 14, 2012

axlotl wrote:

Good comparison, thank you for posting. Lenses really are the key to the system.

Lenses really are the key to the system.

I 'm so amazed Sony and the like don't understand this obvious truth..

I mean, look how the tiny 5n body looks huge and awkward next to the chunky EM-5, BECAUSE of their lens size difference. It's the LENS that determines the overall bulk and size perception of the combo... What did they drink/smoked the night they designed the Nex system ?!?

Marla

Bjorn S
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?

The Sigma lens does make sense when you see it in this context on the NEX, but it's still only f2.8. If it had been 2.0 and about the same size it would have been a valid comparison to the M43 fast primes.

tsammyc wrote:

I wouldn't get carried away with this. Sigma produces two small autofocus lenses for the NEX. They are very sharp and cost just $199, do everything a Sony lens does, and look good on the NEX (especially since they are black!). So it IS possible to produce small sharp relatively fast lenses for the NEX. It's just that Sony hasn't figured out how.

Here is the Sigma 30mm on the same NEX 5N

coroander
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?
In reply to TEBnewyork, Apr 14, 2012

Fuji's done a good job on the standard and wide angle primes, but won't be able to defy the size issue with longer lenses and standard zooms whenever these lenses are available.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads