My D7000 battery door fell off

Started Apr 14, 2012 | Discussions
Nikonworks
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202
Like?
My D7000 battery door fell off
Apr 14, 2012

Just fell off as I was opening the door.

I found the rear finger of the door was broken off.
seems it is still in the round hole made for it.

Anyone have this trouble?

I can put the door in place and it still locks in place.

I will use tape to keep it in place.

Still have warranty, will they say it was 'abused?

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Billy Lee
Regular MemberPosts: 244
Like?
Re: My D7000 battery door fell off
In reply to Nikonworks, Apr 14, 2012

No. This seems like a perfect example of manufacturing defect. Definitely, use the warranty to get it fixed or replaced, before the warranty period expires.

-- hide signature --

BillyL

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Patco
Forum ProPosts: 11,398
Like?

Nikonworks wrote:

Just fell off as I was opening the door.

Still have warranty, will they say it was 'abused?

It's probably quicker and easier just to buy a new one:
http://www.bocaphoto.com/products/new/nikon/nikonparts.htm

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NIKON-D7000-BATTERY-DOOR-LID-CAP-COVER-NEW-REPAIR-PART-/330543812672

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

Luke1
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?

Gotta love that superior Nikon QC, eh Nightwings?

Just messing with you.

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?

will they say it was 'abused?

Asking them won't hurt. Do it before your warranty period runs out and the sooner the better. Good luck.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

David Lal
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,606
Like?
Perhaps ...
In reply to Luke1, Apr 14, 2012

.. the next firmware fix will mend the battery door?

If I were in the US I'd probably just buy a new door via that link Patco supplied though it seems a lot of money for a bit of pressed/moulded plastic. By the way, the OP is Nikonworks, not Nightwings.

David

Luke1 wrote:

Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,548Gear list
Like?
i think he knew that :)... nt
In reply to David Lal, Apr 14, 2012

David Lal wrote:
.. the next firmware fix will mend the battery door?

If I were in the US I'd probably just buy a new door via that link Patco supplied though it seems a lot of money for a bit of pressed/moulded plastic. By the way, the OP is Nikonworks, not Nightwings.

David

Luke1 wrote:

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Nikonworks
Like?

Thanks all for the responses, snide and otherwise.

I emailed the seller to see how to install the new door.

If an easy op, I will buy it rather than send it in for warranty repair as I use the camera daliy.
If too complicated I will send it in being forced to use my D5000 or D700.

The door stays in place with the latch clicking to lock it.
I just put scotch tape on it so i won't lose it while shooting.

Out side of the flimsy hatch doors on my SB800's I never had a problem with any Nikon gear.

Will report back here when I resolve the problem.

Thanks again.

jimbo68
Senior MemberPosts: 1,269
Like?

If you send it to one of the two Nikon service centers, they will not only fix it but evaluate it to insure it meets factory standards and if necessary make the adjustments. Call them and they will tell you if it is covered. I would assume it is if there is no apparent drop damage.

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,359
Like?
To what point
In reply to Luke1, Apr 14, 2012

Luke1 wrote:

Just messing with you.

The other thread your were provoking response in reached it's 151 limit. This is now the third time you've come over from the Pentax forum to not really help.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=41214274

Can we expect this to be an increasing trend? I only ask in an effort to understand. Thank you.

Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,548Gear list
Like?
Niche vs Mainstream
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 14, 2012

This is just my observation and does not take individuals into account but..

I have noticed niche fora hone in on a particularof a camera model's excellence and it justifies it's whole existence and it's almost evangelical: the word must be spread and accepted.

I'm not going to mention them here; it will only bring this same kind of problem.. 'justifiers'

So, their camera models may have something unique; why can't they just be happy and let others be happy too?

On the other hand mainstream stuff (Canon/Nikon) get the whole nine yards of whining where 'nothing' should 'ever' go wrong.. ever.

This is just as unreasonable.. just in another sense.

my 2 cents. take it or leave it..

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,370
Like?
In reply to jimbo68, Apr 14, 2012

not sure how much time you've got left in your warranty, but my worry is if you fix it yourself and you do have to send it in for some other repair and notice that the door has been replaced they could look at that as a possible issue why the camera needed to be sent in (was it dropped, abused in some way...etc.)
--
Herby

Van Griff
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?

N/W

I had a battery door on an F70 break a number of years ago . . . returned it to the store I bought it from . . . they sent it to NIKON and it was repaired under warranty . . . no questions asked.

Our NIKON service repair is local tho so I think I got the camera back within a week so no big deal for me to send back to NIKON.

If you attempt to repair the door yourself with a part that may or may not be aftermarket . . . then you have to subsequently send the camera in for other warranty repair for some other issue . . . you may have voided your warranty by doing the door repair yourself . . . something to consider.

I think I have seen other posts on the forum here with others have probs with breaking doors on the D7K . . . so NIKON should know that it is a problem and there should be no issue getting the repair done under warranty.

I would send in to NIKON for warranty repair and get them to service and clean the camera at the same time.

Best,
V G

Van Griff's gear list:Van Griff's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 +18 more
Luke1
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
Re: To what point
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 14, 2012

Just trying to draw the guy out and poke at his bias.

I of course don't think Nikon has any significant quality control issues, as is true with all the big players. Just pointing out how inane it was in the previous thread to claim complaints about QC issues on Pentax forums to be indicative of serious company-wide issues and call pentax production crap, when the same thing happens all the time on all the forums, consumer reports indicates no discrepencies, etc.

That is all, I won't be returning unless I purchase a Nikon product or have any questions regarding them -- which I may very well in the future, as they have some excellent equipment.

As for the door, enough help has been given in this thread.

Nikonworks
Like?
UPDATE: Re: My D7000 battery door fell off
In reply to Nikonworks, Apr 18, 2012

Nikonworks wrote:

Thanks all for the responses, snide and otherwise.

If an easy op, I will buy it rather than send it in for warranty repair as I use the camera daliy.

The door stays in place with the latch clicking to lock it.
I just put scotch tape on it so i won't lose it while shooting.

Out side of the flimsy hatch doors on my SB800's I never had a problem with any Nikon gear.

Thanks again.

Received door part seller's prompt response:

"Dear ........,

I'm sorry but we don't provide any form of technical support at this time. We concentrate on selling camera parts only. I apologize for not being able to better help you.

Regards,"

He should have stated that if the camera is under warranty, use the warranty instead of his part.

Peter Jonas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,485
Like?
Re: UPDATE: Re: My D7000 battery door fell off
In reply to Nikonworks, Apr 19, 2012

Nikonworks wrote:

Nikonworks wrote:

"Dear ........,

I'm sorry but we don't provide any form of technical support at this time. We concentrate on selling camera parts only. I apologize for not being able to better help you.

Regards,"

He should have stated that if the camera is under warranty, use the warranty instead of his part.

Even if your camera is still under warranty, the normal terms of warranty apply. Therefore, if the battery door damage came about as a result of misuse, abuse or an accident or Nikon deems that it did, then it will not be repaired under warranty. In that case you would have to pay for the repair.

So, I cannot see why the seller should have stated as you suggested. In any case it's a good thing you asked this before you purchased the spare part.

However, it should not be too difficult to replace the door. I am sure if you look hard enough (Google) you will find enough information on the net to decide if you can do it yourself. If yes, you can go ahead and purchase the replacement door.

If not, then you'd have to send it to Nikon, but be ready, they might argue it's a result of "impact damage".

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,

Peter Jonas

Patco
Forum ProPosts: 11,398
Like?
Re: UPDATE: Re: My D7000 battery door fell off
In reply to Peter Jonas, Apr 19, 2012

Peter Jonas wrote:

Nikonworks wrote:

Nikonworks wrote:

"Dear ........,

Regards,"

Even if your camera is still under warranty, the normal terms of warranty apply. Therefore, if the battery door damage came about as a result of misuse, abuse or an accident or Nikon deems that it did, then it will not be repaired under warranty. In that case you would have to pay for the repair.

So, I cannot see why the seller should have stated as you suggested. In any case it's a good thing you asked this before you purchased the spare part.

However, it should not be too difficult to replace the door. I am sure if you look hard enough (Google) you will find enough information on the net to decide if you can do it yourself. If yes, you can go ahead and purchase the replacement door.

If not, then you'd have to send it to Nikon, but be ready, they might argue it's a result of "impact damage".

From what I can see, the D7000 battery door appears to attach to the camera body in the same manner as the D80/D90.

With those models, the door is removed to attach the vertical grip. One simply opens the door about 35 degrees, and pulls it away from the body. It's just as easy to apply. If interested, this is shown in the MB-D80 grip manual on the Nikon site:

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/tnirp/dslr_accesories/DSLR_MultiPower%20Battery%20Pack/MB-D80.pdf

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

jm_mac
Senior MemberPosts: 1,866Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nikonworks, Apr 19, 2012

Was it loose to begin with? My D5100 came out of the box with a loose battery door. When it's closed and I tap on it, I can hear a click-click-click, as if it's not seated properly. I was about to send it back (went to the trouble of getting an RMA number from Adorama), but changed my mind because it's a minor issue. But I'm afraid it will fall off eventually.

jm_mac's gear list:jm_mac's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D7000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Canon EOS M +13 more
jimofcan
Regular MemberPosts: 462Gear list
Like?
In reply to Billy Lee, Apr 19, 2012

Billy Lee wrote:

No. This seems like a perfect example of manufacturing defect. Definitely, use the warranty to get it fixed or replaced, before the warranty period expires.

-- hide signature --

BillyL

More like a perfect example of poor design. The D100, D200, and D300 had a better latching system

Dennis2958
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?
In reply to jm_mac, Apr 22, 2012

You would be better to order a battery door directly directly from Nikon Parts dept. You can get a phone number on the Nikon USA website or Google it. While you're at it you might as well order and extra one along with a couple of LCD screen protectors, and some rubber zoom rings for your lenses. you will eventually need all of them. They are very cheap when bought directly from Nikon, a lot more so than I have seen posted here. I have broken battery doors off of the D300 abd D700 and have replace zoom rubber grips rings on a 18-200mm and a 24-70mm.

Yes, they will take a credit card and you can always ebay them for 2-3 time what you paid if you don't use them. All of these 3rd party sellers get them from Nikon, you may as well too.

dennis

Dennis2958's gear list:Dennis2958's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads