D800 photos great; as good as my D7000!!!

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions
mbecke
Regular MemberPosts: 372
Like?
D800 photos great; as good as my D7000!!!
Apr 13, 2012

I have been reviewing the newly posted D800 photos; they look as good as my D7000 photos. But my D7000 was about 1/3 of the price. So why is everyone so excited about paying $2,000 more for a similar quality camera? I don't get it. What gives?

Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Cheema
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Re: D800 photos great; as good as my D7000!!!
In reply to mbecke, Apr 14, 2012

This reminds of the time when my young cousin asked me why I was carrying around a big camera when his cell phone took pictures just as good. I thought about answering but then figured it was not a good use of time.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,469Gear list
Like?

mbecke wrote:

I have been reviewing the newly posted D800 photos; they look as good as my D7000 photos. But my D7000 was about 1/3 of the price. So why is everyone so excited about paying $2,000 more for a similar quality camera? I don't get it. What gives?

Sure, cropped to the same area as APS-C the cameras are going to be similar. Why would anyone buy an f/2.8 zoom over an f/4 to 4.5 zoom?

The bottom line is there is less enlargement in the FX camera so even if it were the same resolution as the DX camera you would gain 1 1/3 f/stops in terms of noise performance. That isn't a bad thing.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
ThuiQuaDayNe
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
In reply to viking79, Apr 14, 2012

THE END!
Next

mbecke
Like?
In reply to Cheema, Apr 14, 2012

I presume that you started shooting with the superior cell phone camera; right?

Oscarroos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,914Gear list
Like?

+1
+1
+1

You nailed it.

Cheema wrote:

This reminds of the time when my young cousin asked me why I was carrying around a big camera when his cell phone took pictures just as good. I thought about answering but then figured it was not a good use of time.

Oscarroos's gear list:Oscarroos's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5700 Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 +13 more
4x5 Guy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,080
Like?

mbecke wrote:

Are you serious? No sense explaining it. It should be very obvious from your invalid comparisons to the concept of resolution. But, alas, it isn't.

Your ignorance has saved you a lot of money. Be happy. Put that saved money toward your retirement.

Devendra
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,573Gear list
Like?
why drink water when koolaid is cheaper? (nt)

mbecke wrote:

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
ScottnLaguna
Contributing MemberPosts: 695
Like?
Re: why drink water when koolaid is cheaper? (nt)
In reply to Devendra, Apr 14, 2012

Oh. You again.

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,847
Like?

You didn't get the answer you wanted the last time you posted this question?? or the one about not being able to print a hi res D800 photo.... or the one about the D800 expensive and nominal IQ....

methinks someone really wants a D800.... but can't have one.

bendak
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?

This article will explain some of the FX and DX differences for you. http://mansurovs.com/nikon-dx-vs-fx

I could ask you why you spent $800 more over a point and shoot with your D7000 when I've seen some fantastic shots from P&S cams. Then you could ask P&S guy why he didn't just buy a disposable camera since in the right hands even that is going to take an appealing photo.

Essentially you pay more for features and performance, no camera is going to make you a better photographer. I don't see the point in ridiculing people who want more features or performance.

bendak's gear list:bendak's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
stany buyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,957Gear list
Like?
In reply to Clayton1985, Apr 14, 2012

Clayton1985 wrote:

methinks someone really wants a D800.... but can't have one.

methinks the same...

-- hide signature --

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle
http://www.nikonuser.info

I like better one good picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second..

stany buyle's gear list:stany buyle's gear list
Nikon D1
JediLight
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?

Cheema wrote:

hahaha. +1

JediLight's gear list:JediLight's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
mbecke
Like?

OP again. Hmmmm, none of the above funny posters have included illustrations of photographs directly comparing the IQ of the D7000 and the D800, hmmmm. Perhaps those cell phone photos referenced above are also similar in quality to the D800??? Well, at least an iPhone is appropriately expensive enough for the folks on this thread.

Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,819
Like?
You're obviously an idiot (nt)

nt = no text

funnelwebmaster
Senior MemberPosts: 2,064
Like?
Not so fast, amigo.
In reply to Tony Beach, Apr 14, 2012

Calling someone and idiot for raising a provocative question isn't a very good reflection of your own intellectual capacities.

It is often the wise man, the visionary, who is initially stigmatized and ridiculed by those who are threatened and unable to transcend their own mental boundaries.

-- hide signature --

My Art, Your Pleasure

Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,819
Like?
Re: Not so fast, amigo.
In reply to funnelwebmaster, Apr 14, 2012

funnelwebmaster wrote:

Calling someone and idiot for raising a provocative question isn't a very good reflection of your own intellectual capacities.

The term fits him perfectly, so why not use it?

It is often the wise man, the visionary, who is initially stigmatized and ridiculed by those who are threatened and unable to transcend their own mental boundaries.

He's been trolling this forum since the D800 came out, with the last four threads that he's started here attacking the D800. If he is not an idiot for saying his D7000 is as good as a D800, then he is a troll.

CloudyBay43
Senior MemberPosts: 1,208Gear list
Like?
My 2c
In reply to funnelwebmaster, Apr 14, 2012

I did some control and critical testing of D3 with a good Sigma 12-24 vs L1 with the 14-50 leica and the LX5 .. Some surprising results came out, in favor of the L1, and few - of the LX5 .. The test is available on my blog. Key points based on my (non-pro) experience :

1. The lens is critical to the results, the chip inside comes next - this is once we deal with 4/3 and above and no large printing

2. One can get as good as (and sometimes better results) using a cheaper, less feature and speed full camera, this is dependent on various circumstances, including 1 above

3. Printing large aside, appropriate PP can make lower grade cameras as good as the top guns.

Having said that there are two things which stop me from shooting the D3 only - its size and bulk, even if only shot with the 50mm attached, and then .. my Fuji X10.

I do not believe that Nikon will make D800 as good as D7000, it is all about glass, hands, settings and PP. And a D800 will be able to deliver as good result as a S2 or Med format with the appropriate lens and shot settings
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
heartofthetwilight.blogspot.com

CloudyBay43's gear list:CloudyBay43's gear list
Pentax MX-1
Just a Photographer
Contributing MemberPosts: 973Gear list
Like?
Re: Like! (NT)
In reply to Clayton1985, Apr 14, 2012
-- hide signature --

NT--

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Luke Kaven
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,163
Like?

Chop off a little more than half of your D800 image.

There is your D7000 image. Not bad.

Chop off a little more than half of your D7000 image.

There is your compact camera image. Worse, but still, you know, not bad.

You should clearly see the progression outlined above, and the decrease in image quality. I see it most clearly in the amount of high frequency information still available at print size, or even web size.

If you don't see this yet, you will eventually, as you plumb the limits of the smaller sensor in various kinds of work. Until then, the D7000 is a stellar camera, and a lot less expensive.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads