I'm done with manual focusing.

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions
villebon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,160
Like?
I'm done with manual focusing.
Apr 13, 2012

Well, not quite yet, but getting there.

Today I went out shooting with my 5N and Sigma 30mm lens only. No camera bag. I was kind of worried that I'd be missing shots but on the contrary I came back with almost twice the shots I usually take. I had fun.

And this time no manual focusing. Concentrated on composition ( well I tried), watched the histogram and adjusted exposure. Had enough without manual focusing.

For a light travel kit I'd be taking the 5N, Sigma 30mm and Sony E 16mm.

-- hide signature --

Villebon

Lng0004
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602
Like?
Re: I'm done with manual focusing.
In reply to villebon, Apr 14, 2012

At f/5.6 and f/6.3, I'd say these shots are easy to nail focus with peaking.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
uuronl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,652Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lng0004, Apr 14, 2012

As someone who also has a 30mm Sigma, I know what the OP is referring to. Simply, that he doesn't need to rely on manual focus lenses to get good shots out of a small package anymore. He gets AF to boot, which is no doubt preferred.

I had the same epiphany when I started shooting with my 30.

uuronl's gear list:uuronl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
villebon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,160
Like?
In reply to uuronl, Apr 14, 2012

uuronl wrote:

As someone who also has a 30mm Sigma, I know what the OP is referring to. Simply, that he doesn't need to rely on manual focus lenses to get good shots out of a small package anymore. He gets AF to boot, which is no doubt preferred.

I had the same epiphany when I started shooting with my 30.

Right on!

As much as I like my Pentax-M 50mm lens, if Sigma were ever to release a small near weightless 50mm F2 lens as good as the 30mm lens, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

-- hide signature --

Villebon

wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?

villebon wrote:

As much as I like my Pentax-M 50mm lens, if Sigma were ever to release a small near weightless 50mm F2 lens as good as the 30mm lens, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

-- hide signature --

Villebon

Why not just get the Sony SEL 50 f1.8 ? by all accounts it is a great lens !

wll

lowincash
Contributing MemberPosts: 711
Like?

I'm almost done with manual focusing too lol It was fun when I first started using it on my NEX-7 and it just makes picture taking more satisfying but there are times I wished it was AF. I had never once thought about using manual focusing lenses on any of the cameras that I've owned. I only ventured into the legacy lenses because there weren't many good fast lenses out for the NEX and it was almost made for legacy lenses, so easy to use.
--
I only shoot JPEG =]

docmaas
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,738
Like?

I am so often tempted but everytime I use any of my af lenses I end up disappointed. I'd rather take the time to manually focus good glass than settle for the suboptimal results I see with autofocus lenses. sure there are some surprises but too many of them are negatives. I have the 16, 18-55 and 18-200 but hardly ever use them.

My contax 28-85 spends most of my time on the camera with my 21 distagon and 14 samyang coming next on a tilt shift adapter and finally a 400mm sigma 5.6 telemacro with af which is the only af lens I used much at all.

I guess I'm just too much of a nitpicker for accutance and corner to corner resolution.

Mike

weavster
Contributing MemberPosts: 913Gear list
Like?
In reply to lowincash, Apr 14, 2012

lowincash wrote:

I'm almost done with manual focusing too lol It was fun when I first started using it on my NEX-7 and it just makes picture taking more satisfying but there are times I wished it was AF. I had never once thought about using manual focusing lenses on any of the cameras that I've owned. I only ventured into the legacy lenses because there weren't many good fast lenses out for the NEX and it was almost made for legacy lenses, so easy to use.

I agree,

until I got the nex, I'd never even considered manual focusing (with a digital camera) except when AF insisted on choosing the wrong subject. Back in late 2010, after reading this forum, I got my om50 out of hibernation just as a stop gap measure to see me through until some fast e mount primes arrived!

I enjoyed the synergy between the old and the new, and a certain quirky charm at having manual control in the digital age. But with the new sig30 and e50, I am again enjoying the instant mindless joy of AF. ( although DMF with a shallow plane of focus on e50 is sometimes essential)

weavster's gear list:weavster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3
V1V1D
Contributing MemberPosts: 658Gear list
Like?
In reply to docmaas, Apr 14, 2012

docmaas wrote:

I am so often tempted but everytime I use any of my af lenses I end up disappointed. I'd rather take the time to manually focus good glass than settle for the suboptimal results I see with autofocus lenses. sure there are some surprises but too many of them are negatives. I have the 16, 18-55 and 18-200 but hardly ever use them.

My contax 28-85 spends most of my time on the camera with my 21 distagon and 14 samyang coming next on a tilt shift adapter and finally a 400mm sigma 5.6 telemacro with af which is the only af lens I used much at all.

I guess I'm just too much of a nitpicker for accutance and corner to corner resolution.

Mike

I just recently switched to DMF with peaking with my AF lens and it works very well. You can fine tune the focus with much less of a twist and it nails it.

V1V1D's gear list:V1V1D's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
uuronl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,652Gear list
Like?

You sound like a good candidate for the 30. I felt the exact same way until I slapped that thing onto the camera.

uuronl's gear list:uuronl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Tomasin
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to uuronl, Apr 14, 2012

No offense but in my opinion the pictures are uninspiring. Let's say that they are very sharp boring pictures, AF or MF...

Dennishh
Regular MemberPosts: 498Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tomasin, Apr 14, 2012

Test pictures are supposed to be that "TEST PICTURES" Lets see your inspiring images! Can't wait.

Tomasin wrote:

No offense but in my opinion the pictures are uninspiring. Let's say that they are very sharp boring pictures, AF or MF...

Dennishh's gear list:Dennishh's gear list
Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +3 more
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?

I dont care much about choosing manual focus over auto focus, but I do care about good top quality optics. The Sigma 30mm f/2.8 is in fact a great lens optically very sharp corner to corner even wide open.

legacy glass can be great, but it can also be large and/or very expensive and from what I have seen in comparisons here so far it is no better than the Sigma and most cases it is not as good - check this thread out

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&thread=41196319

so for now I will stick with the Sigma - it is the perfect one lens kit for me

so - - if you have a legacy lens that is as small or smaller, sharper corner to corner - and cost less than $200 - - - Show me - - - I just might be willing to give up my AF if you can

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
edwardaneal
Like?
In reply to Dennishh, Apr 14, 2012

heck yea!!

its a test shot !!!!

30mm f/2.8 @ f/2.8

Dennishh wrote:

Test pictures are supposed to be that "TEST PICTURES" Lets see your inspiring images! Can't wait.

Tomasin wrote:

pabloban
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?

Count me in on this one.

Empty, boring snaps with bad color. Nothing more.

Tomasin
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to Dennishh, Apr 14, 2012

Sorry, but those are TEST IMAGES that try to show how much better is AF than MF !!!

In my opinion any half baked photographer with an MF lens could nail those pictures. They are not good examples and they show nothing...

Schwaeble
Regular MemberPosts: 271
Like?

Mike, which tilt shift adapter are you considering?
Are there good ones?

Will any lens covering a full frame sensor have enough coverage for tilt shift on APS-C - or?

wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?

Once you get used to manual focusing it is a snap, the DMF feature and focus peaking is a huge plus in my book even with auto focus lenses.

wll

edwardaneal
Like?
In reply to wll, Apr 14, 2012

you are missing the point I think

why would you choose a MF lens over an optically superior AF one that is smaller and cost less?

you can always choose to manually focus the AF lens, but you can never improve the optics of the inferior MF lens

right now it would seem from the various comparisons that the Sigma 30mm is optically superior to just about every option out there and this comes at a fraction of the cost.

its not about the ability to MF or the pleasure of a fine well made MF lens, it is about not having to deal with MF and at the same time getting superior optics

wll wrote:

Once you get used to manual focusing it is a snap, the DMF feature and focus peaking is a huge plus in my book even with auto focus lenses.

wll

jubilatu
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?
In reply to wll, Apr 14, 2012

zone focusing doesn't give me enough DOF, because i like to shot wide (f2-f2.8), focus peaking is not so easy as RF or SLR with coresponding focusing screens - anyway i find manual focus quite calm and relaxing - if you want it to be this way.

Looking through to my DSLR photos i found enough OOF - not only because lens/body deficiency but due to hand shaking and especially poor focus-and-recompose technique. With NEX-5n i do not have to recompose - just tap-to-focus on the touch screen.

I lost enough pics due to impossibility to manually focus in no time - but i lost more with DSLR due to the reasones mentioned above.
--

Please forgive my grammar but if you find it inconceivable address me in romanian.

jubilatu's gear list:jubilatu's gear list
Nikon D800 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads