About those nasty feeling OM-D buttons...

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions
FlashInThePan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,025
Like?
There is a third way - placing the membrane above the button /nt
In reply to Louis_Dobson, Apr 15, 2012
-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: There is a third way - placing the membrane above the button /nt
In reply to FlashInThePan, Apr 15, 2012
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,639
Like?
Re: Here's the EM-5 designer and cameras for women
In reply to Henry Richardson, Apr 16, 2012

Henry Richardson wrote:

Also, these posts about how many Japanese cameras these days are designed with women uppermost in mind:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41195054

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41201290

This post has an article in the Wall Street Journal today talking about how the Japanese camera companies are making many cameras designed for women these days:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41229416

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Gakuranman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016
Like?
In reply to Henry Richardson, Apr 16, 2012

That's true. Most of the lower PEN line is heavily targeted at women, and the hands-on event I went to saw lower models decorated with frilly bits and cute additions. The E-M5 is clearly aimed at more experienced (and I would guess male) users however. They gave the camera to a bunch of professional photographers and had them go out on assignments to show the results of the camera at the launch event.

Henry Richardson wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Also, these posts about how many Japanese cameras these days are designed with women uppermost in mind:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41195054

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41201290

This post has an article in the Wall Street Journal today talking about how the Japanese camera companies are making many cameras designed for women these days:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41229416

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,475Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gakuranman, Apr 16, 2012

Gakuranman wrote:

That's true. Most of the lower PEN line is heavily targeted at women, and the hands-on event I went to saw lower models decorated with frilly bits and cute additions. The E-M5 is clearly aimed at more experienced (and I would guess male) users however. They gave the camera to a bunch of professional photographers and had them go out on assignments to show the results of the camera at the launch event.

No, that is not true. Most of PEN line (low and high) was designed for those who like to put the camera into the pocket. I'm too lazy to provide you the links, but if you want, you can find lots of posts about how good is it: - to have the camera you can carry in the pocket (some do not mind to wear cargo pants).

Even now you can find one grand-grand son of Mr. Barnack, who can't stop talking about "pocketability"
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
vincent filomena
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,106Gear list
Like?
Buttons, buttons # 257
In reply to Louis_Dobson, Apr 16, 2012

Anything to keep those weekly post number#s up:

Does DPR pay per post, over 100;

or is that another Urban legend !

Vjim

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
Melbourne Park
Senior MemberPosts: 2,405Gear list
Like?
Re: So what does a 'nasty feeling' button actually feel like?
In reply to TrapperJohn, Apr 16, 2012

TrapperJohn wrote:

Does it leave brown slime on your finger?

Does it deliver a pinprick?

Does it cause warts?

Is it worth another $300 on the price to get rid of the nasty feel?

In the grand scheme of things, this is pretty far down the list of things to complain about. If that's the critique du jour, then I expect great things from my EM5... if it will ever get here...

If you want the pin prick model, you need to wait for the special diabetic version, the one which will be bundled with the blood sugar software ... no issues with brown slime, just clean your finger after the blood test.

The wart model will be restricted to Sony fanatics only.

WhyNot
Senior MemberPosts: 2,720
Like?
My problem with those buttons ..
In reply to Louis_Dobson, Apr 16, 2012

........ is somewhat vicarious as I've only seen the camera in reviews. However the recent DigitalRev hands on review of the E-M5 (link at 4/3Rumors) seems to tell me that handling it will be similar to handling my G2 and the problem with that is that the buttons are all squeezed onto the right back side where they can be easily pressed when using the EVF normally (for me). Thus strange things appear in the VF and I have to think about what the camera is telling me rather than concentrating on the scene I was trying to capture. … I hope the the battery grip corrects that but living in mid-USA I'll probably never get to handle one as Olympus E system is not often found here commercially …. maybe I'll run into someone that has one in the next year or so.

Gakuranman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016
Like?
In reply to s_grins, Apr 16, 2012

Yes, it is true. I live in Japan and see the adverts on the television, the product displays in the stores and the sorts of customers who are viewing the cameras.

I'm not saying the cameras are exclusively designed for women - I said they are heavily marketed towards women. The only thing I might add to qualify that statement is 'in Japan'. I don't know what the American market is like.

That doesn't however mean the cameras are not designed for pocket-ability in addition . That's true too. But it's a fact that most of the PEN marketing campaigns out here are targeted towards women.

s_grins wrote:

Gakuranman wrote:

No, that is not true. Most of PEN line (low and high) was designed for those who like to put the camera into the pocket. I'm too lazy to provide you the links, but if you want, you can find lots of posts about how good is it: - to have the camera you can carry in the pocket (some do not mind to wear cargo pants).

Even now you can find one grand-grand son of Mr. Barnack, who can't stop talking about "pocketability"
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

Henry Richardson
Like?
Why are E-M5 buttons finicky?
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 26, 2012

In the dozen or more E-M5 cameras I have had a chance to play with in Tokyo they all had finicky buttons. Sometimes when I would press a button nothing would happen so I would have to press it again. Sometimes when I pressed a button 1 time it would cause 2 or 3 actions (for example one press would cause 2 or 3 advances in the menu or SCP). I would say about 20% of the time it would do one of those things. Is this because of the weather sealing? If so, isn't the shutter button also weather sealed? I never experienced any problems with the shutter button.

I used to have a weather sealed Pentax K7 and the buttons on it were fine so I am somewhat doubtful that the fiddly, finicky E-M5 buttons can be blamed on weather sealing.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,154
Like?
Re: Why are E-M5 buttons finicky?
In reply to Henry Richardson, May 26, 2012

I find the same with some of the buttons, FN2 especially which has a long travel
It might be the angle they're pushed at.

I suspect they didn't want them too sensitive given the lack of space on the back of the camera.

Either you can live with the 'problem' or pick another camera.

Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,949
Like?
Re: Why are E-M5 buttons finicky?
In reply to Henry Richardson, May 26, 2012

Kinesthetics can be a very personal thing. Having just begun to use an E-M5 I find the button action to be more distinct than that on my E-5. My ability to use them by feel simply isn't there yet, and there are darn few direct access buttons compared to my other cameras. That said, the touchscreen controls are brilliant and I'm finding are key to mastering this little camera.

Cheers,

Rick

Morpho Hunter
Contributing MemberPosts: 539Gear list
Like?
Well ..having now used this camera for several days now ...I'm qualified to say ....

Dear Olympus, in your next model, get rid of the spongy weather sealed buttons ..and give us back decent buttons. The E-M5's performance is way better than any of the predecessors that I have used (E-300, E-510 and E-PL1) ... in terms of image quality ... but I'm sick and tired of repeatedly pressing buttons to get the setting(s) I want!

Cheers

http://www.pbase.com/plusiotis

Makinations
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,688Gear list
Like?
Re: About those nasty feeling OM-D buttons...

I don't know what people are expecting. They're buttons. You press them and things happen.

Makinations's gear list:Makinations's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 40D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
rovingtim
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,947
Like?
'need' and 'want' are two different things
In reply to Makinations, May 26, 2012

If you 'want' to experience fantastic weathersealed buttons, try out an Olympus E1. What was 'needed' was sealing. However, while sealing on the cheap fulfils the need ... it does feels ... well ... cheap.

Of course, perhaps Olympus didn't think people are actually willing to pay for what people say they 'want'.

Henry Richardson
Like?
Re: 'need' and 'want' are two different things
In reply to rovingtim, May 26, 2012

rovingtim wrote:

If you 'want' to experience fantastic weathersealed buttons, try out an Olympus E1. What was 'needed' was sealing. However, while sealing on the cheap fulfils the need ... it does feels ... well ... cheap.

Of course, perhaps Olympus didn't think people are actually willing to pay for what people say they 'want'.

A few years ago I paid $899 for the weather sealed Pentax K7 + 18-55mm lens and the buttons were fine and weren't finicky.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads